Three Hundred Miles Per Hour

• Thread starter Dark Elite
  • 7,722 comments

Dark Elite

300mph Madman
Premium
Please refer to the Advanced Rules section at the bottom of this post before posting in this thread.
They apply to you.

I recently went out on a mission to break a huge barrier - Three Hundred MPH.

The car I selected was the Toyota 88C-V Race Car, a car I know very well, and I was quite sure that it was capable of this speed. Please note that I am talking here about a flat-out, no-holds-barred quest for speed. The means that I will do everything in my power to make this car exceed 300mph, which means that I will, if I need to, succumb to the option many, including myself, regard as cheating - Nitro.

So anyway, down to the Test Course we go.

At first I tested the car with the Stage Four Turbo fitted and the gears to Tranny-affected Auto 25. I left the downforce standard, but lowered the car's ride height as far as possible. I went out, with very sluggish acceleration, and reached around 260mph (can't remember exactly what I got). I knew that this far-short speed was due to the gears being too widely set.

So, I set the auto gear setting to 20 instead, and immediately felt a big kick in acceleration as I set off. The car went through the gears much faster (I still had it on AT) and this time reached about 265mph (again I cant remember exactly what it got to). I reduced the downforce to minimum front and rear, and gained a few precious mph that way. However, although this increased acceleration it didnt really do as much to the top speed as I hoped, so I increased the gear auto setting to 21.

Again, a slightly better result, so I followed up by increasing it some more. At auto setting 22 I reached 269mph (I think). So, keeping with the trend I put it up to 23 and reached....

268. Damn. Seems I had reached the limit the car's power could get me to, so increasing the gear ratio setting was going to get me nowhere. Having done nothing to the final drive as I knew I did not have enough power, I went down the only road to more power and fitted a nitro system.

I left everything as it was, including the gears, and went out again. I did nothing different until the final stretch where I let rip with the nitro. The car surged forward, the speedometer long since jammed at the max, and I crossed the line at a blazing 284mph. This speed, however, was down to the rev limiter. So, I brought the final drive down from 3.42x to 3.250.

Yet again I revved the 88C-V softly until the countdown cleared me and off I went. By the start of the corner I could tell I had found the real way to get the speed, as the car was accelerating much slower, but I didnt worry about acceleration largly due to the small canister of a certain combustible gas behind my seat... :) by the start of the final straight I had R1 pressed firmly down and the car was really off, blasting over the line at 289mph this time.

Certain I'd found the way forward, I played with the final drive until I had hit the ceiling again - across the line at 297mph. One of the most frustrating results I have ever had!

But, all was not lost. I had not missed the fact that my nitro was not all expended by the time I went across the line, so I shifted the balance of duration->power fifteen units in power's favour. Confidently, I shot a glance of contempt at the 297mph session record as I hit X over the Start option.

As I pulled away for what I was sure would be the last time, I felt no difference at all until the start of the home stretch, as expected. I pressed R1 down so hard it nearly disappeared into the shoulder of my DualShock2, and the engine screamed it's way to my target.

270mph, gone, 280, 285, 290, 295, nearing the limiter now... 297, 298, 299... two hundred and ninety-nine and holding as the car bounced, the rear tyres scrabbling for traction... THREE HUNDRED! YES! YES! YES!!!! I saw a breif flick of the digital 2 as it changed to a 3 and I was across the line!

I saw it appear on my screen, with a shout of elation, 300.65 miles per hour. I had done it. I had taken a sixteen-year-old Group C race car all the way to the three hundred mile per hour mark and crossed it. Grinning ear to ear, I took the attached photo to prove the speed I'd reached.

Although I have stopped trying for speed in this car now I've hit my ultimate target, I have no doubt that it can do more if pushed hard enough. And I also believe that it is not the sole member of the select group of cars from this game that can exceed 300mph. So now I form the Three Hundred Mile Per Hour club, the megacar group from GT4. Note that no rules apply as far as tuning goes, except using the wheelie glitch from GT3, just use any means of modification to make your car do the big three-zero-zero. This is my first settings/race report, so any critical advice is welcome. Still more welcome are your stories of how you got your car to hit this massive speed, so that the Three Hundred Mile Per Hour Club can grow to show the kings of speed and their, well not drivers, but pilots!

EDIT 14/10/05 - Rule 1 adjusted 19/02/06 & 04/06/06 & made more specific 20/10/06 :: Rule 2 adjusted 10/06/06 :: Rules 1 & 2 adjusted 12/08/06 :: Rules reformatted 20/10/06 :: Rule 1.2 reworded 24/12/06 :: Rule 1.2 made more specific 09/01/06 :: Rule 1 reworded 07/04/07
The Rac3rX Section - Advanced Rules
  • 1. All speeds must be proven
    -1.1 All speeds must be proven by photograph of the Session Record screen showing your maximum speed in miles per hour to go onto the Leaderboard.
    -1.2 All class-record-breaking speeds (Hall of Fame records) and any speed of 350.00mph or greater must be proven by video replay, including Session Record display recorded directly before and/or after the run replay.
    -1.3 Video proof can be requested for any particular speed which is suspected of breaking any rule(s).
    -1.4 All types of proof should be posted by you in this thread.
  • 2. At no point in your run must any of the car's wheels leave the ground. At no point in your run must your car make contact with any barrier, visible or invisible.
  • 3. All speed runs must be made at the Test Course in Max Speed Test mode.
  • 4. You must not at any point in your top speed attempt travel backwards around the course.
  • 5. Nitrous is allowed where available.
  • 6. Whether a car is catagorised as road or racing class is usually very clear, however in some situations it is not. My decision is final when there is doubt on this.
  • 7. No cheat systems or cheat codes are allowed.
  • 8. You may share settings in this thread if you wish, however nobody can force you to do so.
  • 9. Please act with courtesy and respect at all times

The Three Hundred Mile Per Hour Leaderboard

EDIT 03/06/2006 - Note placed at top of post & Leaderboard link added.

EDIT 12/02/2007
Please do not PM or email me regarding 300mph Club membership - all you need to know is in this first post, and if you have any questions they should be posted here

EDIT 12/07/2007 - Notes edited

EDIT 26/07/2007 - Do not post speeds in kilometres per hour - they will not be accepted.

300mph_logo.png

The Three Hundred Mile Per Hour Club

DE

Thanks :D. I am now going to try the Chaparral 2J, and I'm pretty confident I can manage it as I got it to 270mph in a preliminary run! I'll keep you updated ;)

DE.

Now try it with a real car and see if your results are the same! LOL

But why does everyone do this in Automatic, don't you know in a MT set up you can let the gear run a little longer before it starts grinding, the auto setting just shifts right at the RPM before Red, but you can run in the red for a little bit better gear top end... which will help get you to 300 a little faster.

Cheezman - Although I ran the car in automatic, I WAS holding the gears using the R2 button (if you press R2 or L2 the computer will not shift up), otherwise I would not have been using AT because I know the system shifts up far too early.

meu642 - That is not true... What are your grounds for saying that? The car I tested just now is, by total coincidence, the TS020 (GT-One)!! And it cannot do 350mph. However, in the saga of my testing that will follow shortly, I will tell you how fast it can go.

That explains it... I still perfer MT over AT... I will never drive a AT car in real life, so I will never drive one in GT4, LOL!

314.5 mph in minolta. no wheelie trick.
set suspension to 2 clicks above bottom for ride height, set spring really hard (16 plus).
set gear so car will NOT PULL in 6th w/o nitrous. 5th should top out around 245-50.
set nitrous at max power shift to 6th and hit nitrous right at end of corner.
ps boud front 3-4 robound 7-8 bound rear 4-5 rebound 7-8 min down force.
done on top speed test on test track.

i got 300.67 in the Nissan R92CP Race Car 300.67 :D

i think i could hit more if the track was longer :P i am going to try this "314mph" that mmcm-80 was talking about.

us3rX

"Please note that I am talking here about a flat-out, no-holds-barred quest for speed. The means that I will do everything in my power to make this car exceed 300mph, which means that I will, if I need to, succumb to the option many, including myself, regard as cheating - Nitro."

"flat-out, no-holds-barred" and "cheating" sounds like it would include the wheelie glitch to me ;) This is regardless of whether you consider nitrous and the wheelie glitch "cheating" or not...either way it sounds like they wouldn't be excluded from this quest...

OK, I must check this topic more often... If you read my original post carefully I clearly state that no speeds acheived through use of the wheelie glitch are to be counted...

JTSnooks, that's a good try at finding a loophole but I was using the "no-holds-barred" phrase to permit NOS. However, the wheelie trick is very clearly glitch exploitation so no speed using the wheelie trick is acceptable. :yuck:

Super_Adam, I feel sincerly sorry for you if you can't beat the Clubman Cup without trippin on NO2. :ill:

us3rX, Congratulations! You beat my first speed over 300mph by 0.02mph!! Nice work. :)

mmcm80, I have today got the 88C-V to the speed of 307.64mph, and it can do a lot more. I predict I could do 320mph in it. Very well done anyway, you hold the current GT4 World Speed Record! 👍

I intended to do a lengthy report on how I did this, but I will cut straight to the chase - I got the Toyota TS020 (GT-One) to a speed of 305.18mph. :sly:

I also increased my 88C-V speed to 307.64mph. :sly:

Just now I broke the record set by mmcm80 and did what I said I would - 320mph.

:D 320.72mph to be exact. :D

The new GT4 World Speed Record is shown below (Sorry mmcm80!)

Actually mmcm80, I did not use your settings as I found them to be less predictable and harder to modify than mine and in some cases I have actually reversed a couple of your settings... I suppose this proves that there is more than one path to extreme speed!!

Now I'm going to go and see if I can get the R92CP to 300, not to take anything away from you us3rX, but just so I have driven every car in the 300mph Club.

DE

PS. The Chaparral 2J can't do 300... Aw. Well at least I can't get it to, if anybody else does please post it here so that we know!

I got the Mercedes C9 Sauber up to 300.6 mph. No magic here, just put the nitrous all the way to power and the 5th gear ratio into a very low range. I got the 88-CV upto 303.5 but thats it so far. I really wana find a way to break the 300 mph barrier w/o nitrous, thats my new goal.

lol

M5_dude, that's one car I won't be able to test myself... I beleive you entirely but by the sounds of what you did it will do considerablely more. I don't think it's actually possible to get any car to reach 300mph w/o a NOS.

us3rX, thanks man 👍 I have actually broken the record yet again in the Nissan R92CP, it went an astonishing 321.41mph, making it the current GT4 World Land Speed Record holder.

Another member has been added to the 300mph Club - the Mazda 787B! I was very pleased with this result as I was not at all confident I could do 300 in such a car, with a five-speed box and short of power, but I managed a "tiptoe-across-the-border" speed of 300.03mph. Photos of these speeds will be up soon!

Keep the red-hot speeds coming people!

DE

Thanks man

I don't think the Viper can do it, are you using the old Team Oreca, the old road car, the new road car, new race car, which? (I wanna go :D)

I got a Supra RZ '97 to do 294.2x, but it will not do any more than that, do you think a Supra race car like the Castrol could hit 300?

Having gone out again 'scouting for talent' I have predicted the next member could be the Audi R8, but 4.5 million bucks to test it... :indiff:

DE

Up to 295.16mph and running out of ideas. It's down to fine tuning the final drive now, but I feel it may fall a couple of mph short.

I think Racr3X's settings are extremely good and helped me get the minolta to 360mph. I highly recommend them if you really want to break the 350 barrier

I'm sure the TVR Cerbera will do it. I've come to the conclusion the test track is not long enough. I'm getting to and holding 245mph on the bend but by the time the finish line comes up i'm only at 295mph.... but ... the car is still accelerating (gradually).

easty
I've had 288mhp out of the TVR Cerbera. I'm now on a mission to become the first non 'race' car to break 300mph.

Thats what i am trying to do to my street viper :( i get about 285-290 out of it... :P

us3rX

I've gotten a little over 330 MPH out of the TS020 Toyota GT-One and two other cars (Minolta Toyota, Nissan R92CP) The most I've gotten out of a non Nitrous car is 283 MPH out of the Chaparal 2D (I didn't measure the top speed of the 3 LMP/Group C cars without using nitrous). I could post the settings for the MINOLTA and the TS020, as, unfortunately, I've since sold both the R92 and the 2D (shouldn't be to hard to get that speed out the 2D again though).

Toronado, I reckon that the fastest car w/o nitrous there is is the 2D as well.'

Easty - I shall test out the Cerbera, as I think I have an unorthodox method to get cars to go mad fast! I'll let you know.

us3rX - I still intend to have a shot at the Viper... I think it's capable.

El Gigante - That's a pretty insane speed... Do you mind me asking how you did it without glitching the game?

Everybody - I can't really conclude that the fastest car in GT4 is the TS020 because I really need to see a video of the speeds claimed so I know they're not wheelied... But I do think that it is.

Back