Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I can say I voided the warranty on the GTHO. I tossed that suspension on to an F6. Worked nice, but I don't like keeping someone else's tune long. It DID point me in the right direction, though.

BTW, the Spirra? I'm going to have to try it. You were right when you called it an axe murderer. I had/have R5s on it and the thing slides bad. Reeal bad. At least with my tune.

Thanks.

Hey, I've got a question: Have you had many problems with your G25? Because I might get one when I get serious into PC race sims (I'm using my DFP for now), but I keep hearing horror stories about the shifter skipping back two gears going down straights.

On topic: Where's that Clio you were going to toss up? Was it you or Greycap?

well, my only gripe with G25 has been the fact that occasionally the shifter offered 4th instead of 2 and 5 instead of 5 while playing LFS, but I guess the shifter just had some rough edges that have now worn out since it hasn't done that for ages.

Pfft the Spirra is awesome!

I've just been testing the Impreza "Frost" except I used the tune on a 22B. I have to say, at first, it 'AWD'd me'. I'm not sure how else to express that - you know the feeling of slight turn in understeer and slight power out understeer that AWD gives?

I adjusted driving for that and it was bloody quick, and it respects tyres so well - it's a great tune. However, I then took off the spoiler and replaced with stock spoiler and downforce settings and provoked the rear a bit more and made it perfect for me!
(which means making it more Spirra like).

My friend actually has a Type-R STI, and one of the beauties of the animal is that you can adjust the VCD in car, while driving. Shame GT4 won't let you!!

Next up is the Blackbird. I can handle the Spirra - it's perfect in every way, so I'm not scared of this beast...at least...I say that.....unfortunately I think there's a difference between 520 supercharged V8 bhp MR and 700bhp turbo rear engined madness! Uh-oh.

Oh by the way, I'm not sure of your opinion at MFT, but I firmly believe the S2000 Type V - with a touch more downforce - on stock suspension is an absolutely brilliant handling car that wouldn't be improved by stiffened, lowered suspension, adjusted camber etc.

Your thoughts at MFT?

Just did some laps around Suzuka with the X-Fire, and I have to start with a big congratulations on the work done with that car 👍

I did about 10 laps and my times dropped, when using the setup, from 2'01.5s down to a final 2'00.272. The main thing was trying to get used to the massive amounts of grip. The car was great under hard braking and stayed well balanced, it was well composed throughout the mid section (which I often use to test the balance of cars) - and the best bit was the car's composure through 130R!! Very fast, just as it should be.

I put much of that down to what I feel was a good choice with the camber settings, which just happened to suit Suzuka, and stable weight shifting in corners. Probably more of a coincidence, but the gearing was also spot on. I thought I'd probably end up adjusting them but didn't need to in the end.

Once again, nice job on the setup.. I'm hoping to try out the Spirra in a bit.

Pyrelli

Edit:

Just had a go with the "Frost" Impreza and first impressions weren't as good as with the X-fire, but they are very different cars. The description given says it was tuned to "grip harder than anything else" and that's definately the case, hard to unbalance and felt secure around Suzuka. However I found the car had a tendancy to understeer and didn't give much confidence going from speed into the first corner or around 130R. It was largely good in dealing with the twisty stuff as long as it wasn't asked to do too much.

The car circled round in easy 1'58 laps - when pushing for more, confidence in the cars braking and the understeer were problems; but overall this is a good setup and issues only came around near what I felt was the limit of the tires, i.e. it was easy to get the most out of the car.

Also had a spin with the Spirra, and Greycap, I guess you must either love drifting or have a very precise driving style on GT4. At first I hated the car, but after a few laps and realising the car isn't meant to be thrown around, the car just became faster and faster. The brakes are still rubbish but when driving smoothly the car has suprisingly good cornering abilities and was sort of stable; perhaps a bit of a paradox, I found the car slid sometimes quite unpredictably through slow corners but was extremely stable at high speed corners :confused:

Overall, a bit difficult to get used to but 500bhp + its ability to quickly change direction make it very quick on the track (1'53.201).. good job on the setup 👍

Thank you for the positive and negative feedback, I'll take that in account when I'm creating my future tune-ups.

About Frost: Well, it is indeed hard to tune out the understeer if the car has mechanical locks from factory. There are few exceptions to this rule how ever, like GT-R's and Pug 205 T16.

About X-Fire: I was impressed by its driving characteristics too! The engine might be on the weak side though, being NA, since it could handle more power with ease. too bad that it still looks like a squatting dog :lol:

Swish, just be mindful of the weight shifting when in Blackbird. it tends to manifest it most extremely when you least expect it. I managed to turn it from mad axe-murderer to Jack The Ripper, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing :scared: and in case that you want to try something more controllable, try out Bluebird. Despite having only 306 BHP, it can easily blow away modern AWD turbocharged techno-wonders.

Hey, a little about the Spirra: I voided the warranty with R5's, and I'm presently too broke to buy mediums, and I was running stock brakes and transmission. No wing, either.

I have a tune in it that is VERY touchy, but fast when I get it right. (it's a double edged sword) Being somewhat used to it, and all its slideways tendencies, I was met with understeer in many situations, on and off throttle. However, on lifting the throttle, the tail comes out, but so does the nose! I KNOW the Spirra aches for a great tune, and I can see that a well driven one can annhilate. (Got killed by one on Sarthe by a good bit. And I had an Esprit. Said Esprit was having some nasty lift-throttle oversteer, but not as bad as the Spirra gets hit with it)

When I get some $$ (And off my 100K mods budget), I will test the car as it was meant to be run, but for now, I simply don't like it.

Hi Guys

Just tried a couple of your other setups and - wow!
The Audi R4 went around the Nurb in 7' 15".
A Request: could you please make me something resembling a Volvo 240R?
Thanks

HV

You guys certainly got some interesting setups in here.:)

I might test one, when I'm done with a very unusual car...;)

wait a minute, we could do it this way: I will test one of your cars and one of you guys will test the "very unusual car".
good idea?

That sounds like a good idea, Vince.

HolyVolvo: I'll put that particular car under work sooner or later. It won't be stupendously quick, but I think it can beat some Japanese sports machinery when correctly tuned.

Well, I can say I voided the warranty on the GTHO. I tossed that suspension on to an F6. Worked nice, but I don't like keeping someone else's tune long. It DID point me in the right direction, though.

BTW, the Spirra? I'm going to have to try it. You were right when you called it an axe murderer. I had/have R5s on it and the thing slides bad. Reeal bad. At least with my tune.
The FPV's are pretty much the same car with a different engine. The GT has a V8 whereas the Typhoon has a straight six, otherwise they're very similar.

Don't like keeping others' tunings for long? Are you afraid of them turning out to be good? ;)

Also had a spin with the Spirra, and Greycap, I guess you must either love drifting or have a very precise driving style on GT4. At first I hated the car, but after a few laps and realising the car isn't meant to be thrown around, the car just became faster and faster. The brakes are still rubbish but when driving smoothly the car has suprisingly good cornering abilities and was sort of stable; perhaps a bit of a paradox, I found the car slid sometimes quite unpredictably through slow corners but was extremely stable at high speed corners :confused:

Overall, a bit difficult to get used to but 500bhp + its ability to quickly change direction make it very quick on the track (1'53.201).. good job on the setup 👍
Just a very precise driving style. Also, if I have to choose between understeer and oversteer when exceeding the limits, I'll definitely choose oversteer. That way I have a chance of keeping pushing it through the corner and correcting with the steering wheel. The only thing that can help understeering is lifting the throttle and that's just too boring. :lol:

Hey, a little about the Spirra: I voided the warranty with R5's, and I'm presently too broke to buy mediums, and I was running stock brakes and transmission. No wing, either.

I have a tune in it that is VERY touchy, but fast when I get it right. (it's a double edged sword) Being somewhat used to it, and all its slideways tendencies, I was met with understeer in many situations, on and off throttle. However, on lifting the throttle, the tail comes out, but so does the nose! I KNOW the Spirra aches for a great tune, and I can see that a well driven one can annhilate. (Got killed by one on Sarthe by a good bit. And I had an Esprit. Said Esprit was having some nasty lift-throttle oversteer, but not as bad as the Spirra gets hit with it)

When I get some $$ (And off my 100K mods budget), I will test the car as it was meant to be run, but for now, I simply don't like it.
This is just what I meant by not coming to yell at us when the car isn't in the specified tune. You say you don't like it because it doesn't have grip, yet you say you haven't equipped it with a wing. I don't think we have to consider the validity of your opinion at this point, things will be different after you have tried it out as it should be.

Yes, I know, I DID say that I was going to give it a proper test, did I not?

After doing 310+mph, the Spirra should be a nice change of pace.

Finally got some $$ in game. (I had maybe 10k when I posted that)

And on the F6 V. GT: The FPV GT has a good bit more weight hanging on the schnoze, so the fact that the F6 didn't get the bad marks (from me with your GTHO tune) I had seen others note came as little surprise. I don't like keeping other's tunes long because I don't like being dependent on other's tuning skills.

This post will get the edit.

EDIT: Well, I got it, built it, and tested it. (Alright, so I didn't grab the oil change. Shouldn't affect handling)

My impression? Well done! It's MUCH tamer, and doesn't oversteer as much, but it doesn't like the last two corners of Fugi 80's. When this setup starts oversteering, it's subtle, but it becomes worse the longer it slides, and that is its only downfall. Well, that wouldn't be so bad, but at the speed that those corners are at, correcting it is nigh impossible, as the car wants more steering lock to bring back than default, and then it whips back the other way, at 120-150mpoh (first one is @ 150, 2nd is @ 120), that is not a good thing. It is very difficult to save once it snaps, and I would have to say that this car is not for the new player with little experience. Ah well. I think I'll build something with around the same power/weight. And a ROTARY. Hehehe.

Again, great job on it, I'll have to try it on a city track soon.

Thank you for the complete review! 👍

The car relies pretty heavily on the downforce as you've noticed, and that setup is a lot more driver friendly than the original. That was a real Mr. Hyde, the current one is actually pretty drivable. The tendency to slide is well known, when used correctly it's the key to the blinding quickness of the car as it doesn't hesitate a bit when turning but can become the fate of an unwary driver as it tends to - as you've noticed - snap back strongly and without much of a warning. It's a car that suits my own driving style extremely well but as you said, definitely not a car for a beginner.

-EDIT: Whoops, you edited yours before I posted!

Got a copy of the old setup hanging around? (I sold my Spirit R because it wasn't loose enough. Damn thing would only push. I would like to see how the original was, as I'm that crazy.)

Still haven't tested yours on a city track, but mine on R5's w/o downforce is EXTREMELY fun on Hong Kong. Brake lift, nail, repeat. Those tight corners are where a mini-supercar like the Spirra shines. And the straights after them.

It's okay. Our setups might take from few days to a complete week to be completed and polished. :)

Mitsubishi Galant Evolution '70

251 bhp, 253 Nm, 891 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Turbo Kit Stage 2
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
Rear Wing
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 4.0 / 5.5
Ride Height: 140 / 150
Bound: 3 / 6
Rebound: 4 / 8
Camber: 2.5 / 1.0
Toe: 0 / 0
Stabilizers: 2 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 7

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.607
2nd: 1.885
3rd: 1.476
4th: 1.225
5th: 1.047
6th: 0.911
Final Gear: 3.500

Autoset 5

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 20
Deceleration: 5

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 20

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Designed by the Japanese stylist Hiroaki Kamisago who had studied in California, the Galant GTO was in a way a "bonsai muscle car", a small vehicle with certain styling cues from the American cars of the era and it gave birth to the now legendary GTO name used again successfully two decades later. While the original power figure of 125 bhp may seem a bit low and the handling leaves something to be desired, there is always the limited Evo version of the car to be had. The grunt under the hood is doubled and its transfer to the road has been made a lot more efficient thanks ro race spec drivetrain parts. As the icing on the cake the car is lightened by almost 100 kg and the sporty image is finished by a large rear wing and lightweight alloy wheels. The resulting package still isn't fast enough to challenge more powerful cars on fast roads but the handling will undoubtedly give the driver a wide grin.

Reviews:

by hemisport15
by Parnelli Bone
by spauldj3800

Last edited:
This car has a story about buying it. DO NOT make the same mistakes I did. :P

I bought it from the '80s Used Cars Lot, waited until I got the wheels I wanted and tuned it fully. Such a great car it was. And then the lightning struck... I heard (from Leonidae, actually) that the car can be bought as new from the Legendary section of Mitsubishi. I sold the one I had spent a fortune on, bought a brand new one, again waited for the wheels and tuned it to be even better than the used one it replaced. It's the car you see now. :)

TRD Trueno Gr.A'00

214 bhp, 174 Nm, 800 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
FC Transmission
FC LSD
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Refresh
Roll Cage
Oil Change

Suspension
Spring Rate: 10.0 / 9.0
Ride Height: 90 / 120
Bound: 2 / 3
Rebound: 8 / 8
Camber: 3.0 / 1.5
Toe: -2 / -1
Stabilizers: 1 / 3

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 9

Transmission

NOTE! First set auto Set, then Final and last actual gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 3.391
2nd: 2.360
3rd: 1.785
4th: 1.410
5th: 1.100
Final Gear: 4.300

Autoset 6

LSD
Initial: 20
Acceleration: 13
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

TRD. These three letters make any Toyota enthusiasts heart beat faster. No matrter how high their heartbeat will get, they won't be able to overcome the frantic, high-pitched shriek of 10000RPM's that propel this race-bred monster forwards. Should you want more oversteery action, you can purchase NA tune stage 3 from the shop. The car has few other options from the TRD catalog as well, such as carbonfibre hood and headlight covers, stronger drivetrain components and strengthened chassis. When all this was coupled together, you have one fun, light rwd coupe from Japan. Just remember to fill the watercup, and don't spill the tofu. ;)

nice new cars guys............but i find the GTO more interesting than the Trueno. no hard feelings Leo, but i just like the look of the GTO more!!

viper

nice new cars guys............but i find the GTO more interesting than the Trueno. no hard feelings Leo, but i just like the look of the GTO more!!

viper

no worries, so do I. Damn you Greycap, stealing my thunder from this properly handling fanboy dreamcar! j/k :lol:

Oh by the way, I'm not sure of your opinion at MFT, but I firmly believe the S2000 Type V - with a touch more downforce - on stock suspension is an absolutely brilliant handling car that wouldn't be improved by stiffened, lowered suspension, adjusted camber etc.

Your thoughts at MFT?
I just saw this and naturally have to answer as I've tried that car out in full tune. I disagree, when the power is raised to over 450 bhp the stock suspension just can't cope with the speeds achieved. Racing car pace needs racing car hardware to keep the tyres on the road. That having been said, it's indeed a very good car in full tune, making up the lack of outright power with the superb handling. The only thing that might keep me from releasing it is the looks of the wing. Just horrible. :nervous:

Lack of downforce for the anti-rice win! (And for the on-track loss...

I like S2ks, but RX-8's use every bit of tire possible. Hell, at 330hp the car still corners on N3's! And they make the same power at a lower RPM. And do it with a much smaller motor.

Hey, I LIKE the way that GTO looks. (I hate those cars with a vengance. Simply because I was forced to drive one with 200kg of rear ballast, stock suspension, stock brakes, and full power. Grr.) It's not a Kenya Orange POS.I may just have to test it.

Hey, Leo, great job on Frost! Feels REALLY good. In fact, my only gripes are a bit of instability under braking (Common with WRX's in my experiece) and the ratio set.

It beat my 22B STi by a few tenths around Infineon, despite the 22B being lighter and more powerful (But downfoceless for now).

Very fun car, and if we could get it to stop chasing its tail under braking (er, make that chasing its FACE) so much (Haven't spun it, but I know where on the 'Ring it would get drop kicked at) it would be perect. Unfortunately, that would, it seems, have to affect other handling characteristics. Good job! (I'll fool with the brake balance to see if I can tweak it to my style.)

EDIT: Yup, it worked. Just changing the brake balance to 2/5 fixed it. 3/5 might be better, but I haven't tried it. I'm off to beat you. I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back