Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
LdS
Good, I want to try one...preferebly a Expert one. Can I test any car? Even if it was already tested?
Of course! 👍

Some cars get more testers, some get less. That's the way it goes, just pick the one you like and off you go! And if the bug bites hard, feel free to take another one! :dopey:

Well, I tested out the R4 yesterday and today, I found I did not really like the way the car was setup, its was too high for me and I found it was very understeery for me. So I thought to myself the power and gear ratios are fine, I just had to fine tune the suspension and diff. to my liking, and well I kinda found a wicked fast car that does 1'25.109 around Laguna Seca and that wasn't even a clean lap the setup was a good starting point, Greycap / Leonidae if you want to see my setup and try it out shoot a PM my way and i will be happy to send you the settings, and you might even want to change the setup on the R4 page ;)... and I will contact you at a later time about tuning a car of my choice dont have one in mind just yet,well anyone can PM me if they want to try my settings.

I cant convey emotion through text, sorry, I really didnt mean to offend anyone in any of those posts, imagine someone in real life saying dumber then usual, the whole room would crack up.
Has Mad Finn tuning done any Rally tunes?

Greycap, you've really done it this time! </oldlady voice>

I really, truly cannot see why the Infini R has a "Expert" skill rating, as it's INCREDIBLY easy to drive. Does it need more tire? Mayhaps, but the cornering attitude is perfect, and wheelspin is NOT a problem if you have a light right foot. In fact, I think that it could live a happy life without the wing.

Awesome job, Greycap!

First off I would like to say you have a very nice garage display setup going on here. It caught my attention just enough to make me print out some pages and see if you really know what you are talking about or not.

I decided to try the Alpine A110 1600s'73 first as it is a car that has been sitting in my garage collecting dust for a while. After spending the requisite money on performance upgrades, wings, rims, and that pesky little oil change, I elected to give it a test run in the Pro Hall Turbo Fest at Midfield Race-way.

My immediate reaction at the start of the race was "woah! these guys definitely have me off the line" only to find out that the first set of corners was enough to blast me into 2nd place. (Upon watching the replay, the Alpine was cornering a good 15-20mph faster than the AI cars.) However, after the first corner I was brutally rammed by a Buick GNX and sent into a set of spins; upon recovering I proceeded to make it back to 2nd place. The second time I won handedly.

It truly seemed like the harder I pushed the car the more it gave back. A spectacular driver for 300hp. The only thing I could see improving upon is the wheelspin on launch, but if that cuts the cornering capabilities then leave her like she is.

I carved 1'20" second lap times and a 156 mph top speed on Midfield and 2 great replay movies from this baby, I will definitely be giving her more track time from now on.

Take-off:B
Handling/Corner Speed:A+
Braking:A
Replayability(funness!):A+

Keep them coming Greycap your doing a swell job.

Next I printed out the "Blackbird", a unigue looking vehicle, as well as being based on another untuned car in my stable.

After performing all the upgrades and trying my hardest to match the rims to what you show(doesn't feel quite right taing your tunes without your style) I noticed the lack of a transmission upgrade. Well your the tuner, so I matched the specs and took it for a ride at the same track as the Alpine. Wow. This car is a beast, I learned quickly not to touch the brakes to much and just power gas around the corners. My lap times here were actually higher than I had with the alpine, around the 1'30"s. It is also a fun car to drive, but I do not feel like I've had enough time in the seat to quite write a review on it just yet.

Plus I printed out the rest of your garage to see what they're like, I'm sure glad I choose to start with the Alpine.

Cheers.

Just been doing some thorough testing with the 'Blackbird', and I second Vander's thoughts that this car is a beast.

Looking at the new tags, I guessed that this car could be a handful; it strikes me as having a slightly steeper learning curve than the Spirra, which undoubtedly makes this a car with lots of potential. In total I did around 20 laps, though not in succession, finishing with a best time of 1'52.203. This lap can be seen in the video at the end of this post. The car can arguably lap quicker due to the untidy sectors in the latter part of the lap, perhaps at least a 1'50 given intimate knowledge of the car.

My first impressions were that this car had little grip and an over sensitive rear end.. However, much like my experience with the Spirra, once I had adjusted to accept the cars 'character' it became quicker and quicker (lap times started at 2'04s). My final verdict is that this car has a surprisingly controllable 'drift' nature that has to be used to do quick laps.

Lift-off oversteer was essential to a fast lap and the settings were fully accommodating to being able to control it under such circumstances. The brakes which at first I thought were oddly balanced, played a particularly helpful role in also being able to start such slides. Once sliding, the car had good balance that made the 'drifts' very predictable (provided they are initiated yourself, otherwise I guess it's time to eat gravel), with this predictable nature being particularly good through the early sections of Suzuka. For such high power I also found the car had surprisingly good traction, even on full throttle in second gear out of corners, which also mated well to the standard gearing.

Up against the typical effort needed for largely neutral setups this must have taken alot of time and effort to create, bearing in mind it's able to accommodate such lively characteristics - so congrats on achieving such an enjoyable yet fast setup 👍

[BTR Suzuka Lap] - mp4 format, view in Quicktime if nothing else works (this isn't a permanent link, if it goes and you want the replay send me a PM).

Pyrelli

*bows humbly* Thank you both Pyrelli and Vander for reviewing those two masterpieces of mine (they're not Greycap's, look for the name of the one who posted them). I'm glad that you found the settings suitable for the cars, and were able to drive them without more than few funerals.. ;) :D

ChampCarFan, as I said to RotaryJunkie earlier, you need to adapt to the car and the way it's tuned, rather than change the settings to your liking. Thank you for the review anyways. 👍

And as the rules say, you three have now a chance to ask for custom settings for the car you like, as long as it's not a racecar. I can deal with rallycars, but that's about it..

ChampCarFan - To be honest we couldn't care much less about your settings as the car isn't the same one anymore. As Leonidae advices, don't tune our cars for yourself, tune yourself to our cars. ;)

Rotary Junkie - Just because of the throttle control it needs, and its handling when driven near the limits. The car has a betraying performance, when you think you've mastered it it still has at least one second per lap that can be shaved off. And as soon as you begin hunting that one second, you'll find out why it's classed as an Expert car. About doing well without a wing, well, I tried that when building the car. And I guess you can make up the conclusion from its current state. :P But, of course, thanks a lot!

Vander - Thank you for the indepth review, but don't praise me! Praise Leonidae as he already pointed out. I may be the thread owner but both of those are his cars. And the cars will keep rolling out, nothing to worry about there.

I drove Blackbird the other night, Leo, and had a good bit of fun with it, however: The BTR is so abso-bloody-lutely vicious to start with at this power level that it needs to either use that to its advantage or get completely tamed. I will admit to not having much laptime in the car, but it feels "overtamed" in a sense. Like it is tuned to be Mr. Perfect, but it knows it cannot be and behaves as such. Somehow, it feels heavy and slow to react, and that is its downfall when one must stop. It feels like a car that was wanted to be easy to drive, but the car is not (and probably never will be) ready to be tamed.

It's simply my opinion, my poor driving, and my "No car shall deviate" driving style making that review sound so harsh. For me, a car that has tendencies to oversteer on lift-throttle needs to be tuned so that adding throttle slaps the tail back down at ALL times, and I personally need it to react as quickly as possible if it plans on sliding on me.

However, you ran level 3 weight reduction, so it weighs 1038 kg, IIRC, and you said it weighed 1118 kg. Is there 90kg of ballast floating around or was it simply a mixup?

And, since someone claimed understeer from an MFT AWD tune, I must try driving it, even though it IS ugly. For understeer does not seem to be the word of the day here, EVER. Well, the R4 is to be driven, and driven hard

ChampCarFan, as I said to RotaryJunkie earlier, you need to adapt to the car and the way it's tuned, rather than change the settings to your liking. Thank you for the review anyways. 👍

And as the rules say, you three have now a chance to ask for custom settings for the car you like, as long as it's not a racecar. I can deal with rallycars, but that's about it..

Well I found your guys setup to be a little slow in the corners because of the understeer, this was because of the diff and the VCD, and also changed the final to make the car accelerate better, i stiffened the rear suspension a tad and just lowed it now it drives like a dream, but thank you for the baseline setup for my new CCF R4 ;). And tommorow i will be trying out the RX-7.

Well I found your guys setup to be a little slow in the corners because of the understeer, this was because of the diff and the VCD, and also changed the final to make the car accelerate better, i stiffened the rear suspension a tad and just lowed it now it drives like a dream, but thank you for the baseline setup for my new CCF R4 ;). And tommorow i will be trying out the RX-7.
Be warned though, I already have experience of us being plagiarized and I won that case. Whatever you do, don't get to the level of directly using others' ideas. You'll only get two things for doing that. The first one will be making yourself look really stupid. And the second one is me right on your back if you try to pass even parts of our work off as yours without credit.

Greycap, nothing to be worried about, im not like those noobs that copied you guys, its just for my own personal use unless someone asks for the settings, would one of you guys just try out my setup? Oh I'm also going to try the C5.

I drove Blackbird the other night, Leo, and had a good bit of fun with it, however: The BTR is so abso-bloody-lutely vicious to start with at this power level that it needs to either use that to its advantage or get completely tamed. I will admit to not having much laptime in the car, but it feels "overtamed" in a sense. Like it is tuned to be Mr. Perfect, but it knows it cannot be and behaves as such. Somehow, it feels heavy and slow to react, and that is its downfall when one must stop. It feels like a car that was wanted to be easy to drive, but the car is not (and probably never will be) ready to be tamed.

Indeed it IS "overtamed", since the original settings were so unstable that it couldn't be driven on any bumpy track at all. Thus, I did my best to keep that rear-end in check all the time, since this car is based on 80's 911 Turbo that is notorious for it's tendency to kick that fat butt in when you least expect. And the test drivers kept complaining how dead they were after crashing at 180+ mph..

It's simply my opinion, my poor driving, and my "No car shall deviate" driving style making that review sound so harsh. For me, a car that has tendencies to oversteer on lift-throttle needs to be tuned so that adding throttle slaps the tail back down at ALL times, and I personally need it to react as quickly as possible if it plans on sliding on me.

I suggest you watch that video that was posted. it was pretty much under control, responded well to throttle etc all the time, did it not?

However, you ran level 3 weight reduction, so it weighs 1038 kg, IIRC, and you said it weighed 1118 kg. Is there 90kg of ballast floating around or was it simply a mixup?

I'm not quite sure. I think I shall check that one when I get a chance.

*bows humbly* Thank you both Pyrelli and Vander for reviewing those two masterpieces of mine (they're not Greycap's, look for the name of the one who posted them). I'm glad that you found the settings suitable for the cars, and were able to drive them without more than few funerals.. ;) :D

My humblest apologies Leonidae, I was so busy looking at the cars and wating to get them printed to go set them up that I didn't even notice the poster. I suppose that can be chalked up to my "noobness" here.

I just got through driving another one of your cars, the MFT X-Fire RC'04, and I found this little guy to be exactly how you described it. I dominated the stars and stripes and hot rod classes of the Amercan series; but, it wasn't the same as demolishing the other racers in a 900 hp Viper, this is not only an intense little machine, it's incredibly fun to drive.

This car was MADE for El Capitan, I don't think I've ever had a more enjoyable or faster set of times on that track then I did last night. It glues itself to the road on the hills and flys down the straights. (Thank god I found this thread, just had all my wisdom teeth pulled, and you guys gave me something else to direct my pain too)

Just tap the brakes and aim for the apex and this little beast will take you exactly where you want to go, I loved shooting down the chicane in Laguna Seca after beating both A Viper GTS and SRT-10 down the straight.

I don't really have much of anything harsh to say about the X-fire, while racing Seattle in "Stars and Stripes" the first time I actually spun out on 3 different occasions. Down about 15 seconds I put my driving face on and let the car do it's thing and managed to catch up with the lead Shelby right after the long straight and pass him through the chicanes at exactly the same place I spun out on the first lap. Once you get the feel for this car you can have a lot of fun watching little ugly rip the makeup off the prettier ladies on the track.

As far as a car to tune goes Leonidae, I'm having a hard time deciding actually, but I think I want you to see if you can do something with the Triumph Spitfire 1500. It's the only car from its manufacturer, so there has to be a reason for it to be in the game, tune it how you want, money's no object. I trust you can make it fun.

Sorry, no can do on the video. Something by the name of slow-running dial-up. (26.4Kbps is SLOOW!)

"And the test drivers kept complaining how dead they were after crashing at 180+mph.." Yeah, pretty much. :lol:

I will agree that the stock settings were HORRID, and yours are much better, by a LONG shot.

Wonder if I can get it driveable. Nah, but I'll try. And call it "Dove", just because A. I can, and B. I love to toy with people's heads.

And I still gotta fire up the R4. Ugh, that thing STILL looks ugly.

Very well, I shall get on it later today, after posting my next car. but please, do test Greycap's settings too. they might not be as "noob-friendly" as mine, but believe me when I tell you that they dust my cars with ease.

...I suggest you watch that video that was posted. it was pretty much under control, responded well to throttle etc all the time, did it not?

I guess that video would be mine. I think if anyone's planning to drive this car being in full 'control', much like a neutral setup when using the BTR, than it pretty much goes against the point of the setup.

Some cars, no matter how you tune them will always have their inbuilt quirks by there design. Admittedly the lap shown wasn't perfect, but I only posted it to demonstrate what I meant by controllable 'drift' nature and even the fun to be had with it - I'll go back and edit the post to make it clear.

This nature isn't a fault of tuning on Leo's part, but merely a taming of the cars natural tendancys.. As before, I had to adapt to its driving style which led to much faster laps - tip toeing around the track, trying to keep the rear end in check will just result in a slow and more importantly unenjoyable lap.

A penny for your thoughts

Pyrelli

Edit: To R.J I can try and get it up on YouTube if that helps, though I had problems earlier which is why I had it hosted instead.

I actually just got done printing out 4 of Greycaps monster's which I'm going to test as soon as I'm done eating lunch, as well as giving your little celica a test drive.

Mister Black

304 bhp, 293 Nm, 1073 kg

Clickable for full size

Parts to buy:
Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
NA Tuning Stage 3
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Refresh
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 3.5 / 6.0
Ride Height: 106 / 116
Bound: 2 / 4
Rebound: 4 / 8
Camber: 1.5 / 2.5
Toe: 2 / -1
Stabilizers: 4 / 6

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 7

Transmission

NOTE! First set autoset, then final and last gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.844
2nd: 2.142
3rd: 1.672
4th: 1.342
5th: 1.091
6th: 0.934
Final Gear: 4.000

Autoset 9

LSD
Initial: 30
Acceleration: 12
Deceleration: 7

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

Revs, revs and more revs. That seems to be the thing for Toyota Performance when forced induction is out of question. And when it comes to tuning, nothing beats the greedy, uneven burble of a naturally aspirated engine. Despite being tuned to the tightest specifications, Mister Black isn't actually that quick. It is more like Sean Connery than Arnold Schwarzenegger, smooth with his moves, amusing you with his funny accent. So why not to lay back on the tight yet comfortable bucket seats and let this car sing its song while sweeping sideways through corners..

The time has come to defend the R4!

Aside from being an UGLY SOB, I love the way this car behaves. My lap around the 'Ring was filled with mistakes on my part, but the car was AWESOME through the corners.

Beautiful.

I'm fixing to setup the R4 for myself, I'll give it a go at Laguna.

Leonidae or Greycap: What are the times listed on each of your car banners representative of?

They are representative of GVS, after if you wanna give a go at my settings PM me for them.

Damn Greycap got to it before me...

ChampCarFan, if you want to advertise your settings, Put them into Tuner Garages-thread. This thread is for our own settings only, okay?

*mutters something about youth these days*:indiff:

Maybe im just driving it too hard? Rotary have you tried it on Laguna Seca?

You're probably driving it too hard. I noted that the car likes to turn under braking, and do it well, but too much speed makes for what feels like understeer. When that comes in, I do a quick lift, tap brakes, hit throttle procedure that brings it back in line.

And I got some more seat time in my "Evil" tune for my BTR, swapped over to Blackbird, and it became what it SHOULD have felt like the first time: Awesome. It's GLUED to the road surface whenever you're on the throttle. Off throttle is not bad, with just a little oversteer. To learn this car, a much harder-edged setup is useful, as once you get used to that, this setup makes the BTR compliant for a 700hp 964.

See, Leo you're lucky. You've got stuff to do in the way of tuning. I'm so bored that I'm back to testing my arse off rather than tuning. So I'm testing CCF's S4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back