Volvo fan club!!

• Thread starter Powripper
  • 299 comments
Super_Saru
So, just out of curiosity, what number am I in this club, 5,6,7? I want to know. :boggled:

ahhh, we lost track of that along time ago :lol: just put it in your signature, and welcome to the club :) I'm so surprised that this club has been so successful. I never would have guessed when I first started it up :D

Eh mate I know nothing about Volvos as they are hugely uncool and ridiculed here in Australia. Street cred next to nothing, in a performance sense. However I have a strong sense of irony so I promptly joined your club!!! Tried to help the cause with my sig...
It would be absolute piss funny to try and get this club really big. I feel most GT fans here will be too anally retentive about whats in their sig though.

Wow... after that Evolve S40 I'll be a fan!
eek2.gif
👍

850 Turbo! Reliability may be an issue but it's leagues better than the 740 Turbo - which kicks ass in its own right. The 240 Turbo is just slow.

M5Power
850 Turbo! Reliability may be an issue but it's leagues better than the 740 Turbo - which kicks ass in its own right. The 240 Turbo is just slow.
1. 850 is FWD and easily twice the price to both buy and modify.
2. 740 and 240 share the same drivetrain basically and are both RWD.
3. Cheap modifications (under $500) on the 2 or 7 Turbos will get you a reasonably fast car. Easily into the 14's. 13's or faster will require more serious modifications (ie: $$).
4. Fastest 200 and fastest 700 both run 9 second 1/4 miles (that could be street driven). The 700 is actually street driven, but he uses slicks to run 9's. Runs high 10's on street tires.
5. FWD sucks, unless you LIKE torque steer.
6. 200/700's rule Volvoland after modifications. ;)

The Volvo 240 Turbo's accomplishments:
84 ETCC and STCC wins
85 ETCC Championship
85 GTCC Championship
85 Wellington 500 win
85 Italian Championship
85 Mount Fuji and Macau wins
86 Spanish Championship
86 Mount Fuji and Macau wins
86 ATCC Championship
led 86 Wellington 500 till a hose blew
87 and 88 SEATCC Championship

Now what was that you were saying about the 240 Turbo being slow?

Still think so? Enjoy 583hp of pure 240 Volvo :sly: : click here for 5mb avi movie

I doubt I'll be buying a 240 as I'd want a little more refinement. But yeah I quite like the 'older' style 740s they look so distinctive & they are also good cars. Main problems with 740s is simply there age, especially Turbos as they run on leaded petrol as standard & LRP sucks for turbos.

850s are very nice cars, better than the 740s in every regard I'd imagine apart from there generally FWD :guilty:

Don't forget 940 turbos too unless you don't like them. There more refined than a 740 & still RWD, although not as distinctive.

I know when I'm looking for my next car (a Volvo, woah big suprise!) I'm quite specific but then I don't mind waiting. I'll be looking at 740 2.3 16vs, 740 GLTs, 740 turbos if converted to unleaded with a fanatical owner, 940 2.3 16vs, 940 GLTs, 940 Turbos(Of various degrees), 850 2.0/2.5 GLTs (T5 insurance is too expensive I'd imagine). I'd probably not get an 850, just because my brother has one although I may end up with that at some point. But the car has to have a leather interior, has to be manual, & has to be a saloon with a spoiler (they look so much better with spoilers :lol: ) & also not be a 2.0 as we had a 2.0 740 & it was underpowered unless its a 2.0 Turbo or 20v.

tuff240
1. 850 is FWD and easily twice the price to both buy and modify.

That's if your into modification. Plus you get an infinitely better car in every regard.

The Volvo 240 Turbo's accomplishments:
84 ETCC and STCC wins
85 ETCC Championship
85 GTCC Championship
85 Wellington 500 win
85 Italian Championship
85 Mount Fuji and Macau wins
86 Spanish Championship
86 Mount Fuji and Macau wins
86 ATCC Championship
led 86 Wellington 500 till a hose blew
87 and 88 SEATCC Championship

Now what was that you were saying about the 240 Turbo being slow?

All these accomplishments are 20 years old. Push to shove with a 240 Turbo, it needs to be modified to be quick in the slightest, it's unbelievably old meaning condition usually sucks (if you can find one at all), and mechanical dependability is going to be getting pretty poor at this point. If you can afford an 850 there's no reason not to get it over a 240 Turbo.

T5-R
Don't forget 940 turbos too unless you don't like them.

In the US, it's easy to forget 940 Turbos - they're damn rare. A guy down my block has one and I used to know a friend who had one, but that's about it. The 850's the better car there too.

you should go with a S80 :) thats what I did and I have never been happier, I also have owned a 850 turbo and 740 (N\A :indiff: ) and I did like the 850 much more than the 740 even if it had a turbo, but then again I did love that rwd....
but i love my S80 most of all, for a almost fully loaded 99, I only paid just under 17 grand and have done about $3000 in mods, and its got about 310hp and 340 lb-ft, so its very fast.
:dopey:

S80s are comparatively pretty damn expensive - even if they T6 version is the most powerful front-drive European car ever built (or at least, ever sold in the United States).

Finally, count me in. I found a well-maintained, low-mileage '96 850R sedan on AutoTrader a few days ago and bought it yesterday. It's in the suburban Detroit area (around 200 miles away) so I'm having it shipped; it should arrive by the end of the week.

M5Power
Finally, count me in. I found a well-maintained, low-mileage '96 850R sedan on AutoTrader a few days ago and bought it yesterday. It's in the suburban Detroit area (around 200 miles away) so I'm having it shipped; it should arrive by the end of the week.

Nice. Red, black or mabye the infamous green one eventually sold in the US?

Auto/Manual?

Black on black, auto (all US models were auto).

The "infamous green one" was a 1995 T-5R; 850Rs (1996-1997) were produced in a variety of colors. Supposedly, T-5Rs were only produced in yellow or black with "ten green ones shipped." I'm beginning to seriously doubt that claim though.

Anyway - I have the pictures and will post them before too long (I'm sicker than hell right now and that would require work, which I can't see myself doing).

There were 2 series of T5-R produced: the first series (5000 cars) came in Cream Yellow and Black, the second series came in Black and Green

Hope you get well soon, so we can see some pictures :P

The US reportedly only got 1000 T5-R models total, and reports were all were yellow, though a few years ago I began hearing black ones were made too. I've never seen one that wasn't yellow in real life, though badge-switching is rampant on 850s and I don't exactly check black ones (I've seen several black ones in the US on the Internet though, so I believe it).

After that there was word that ten green T5-Rs were shipped to the US. Two were recently on eBay, so I don't buy that either - it's not too hard to paint a car, and Once I heard the source of that rumor ("I saw a guy in a parking lot and he told me") I started growing a bit cautious of it.

Hehe..sweet u guys are making a volvo thread. 1st post here..so bear wit me. Might have seen the March 4th NY times. Page article about www.turbobricks.com a board that I have frequented for like past 2-3 years. I own a 81' 242Turbo Intercooler model. (only of which very few were made) Volvos are extremely interesting and fun cars. Also, dirt cheap and easy to work with. A standard 242Ti model with $700 put into it, can easily hit the 14's. (my car) many many members take the higher comp b230 or b23 motors and turbocharge them for 300bucks and throw 300 dollars of upgrades and u got a mid 14's running car. Guy i know is a prime example. Beige wagon, few mods, ran a 14.45 or 14.54 (cant remember) They are terribly good sleepers. The T5-R's and 850R's are super cars. Buddy of mine has one, 20psi, chipped...etc. Feel free to drop a visit and ask some questions. go to http://forums.turbobricks.com/ home to 3,000+volvo drivers. My name over there is Neil Peart :sly: . Now, where can i join this club at! :)

Just to let u all know, the numbers i have up there are all if ONLY the work is preformed by you. Paying a mechanic 50$ a hour to get a brick into 14's. Is decently expensive. (around $1,500)

Memebers 242: Most famous 242 on the board, its been sold. http://www.pbase.com/dkauer744/project_242ti
The car ran a 13.6 at the end of his ownership. The run was with tires slipping down the track(slicks too) @ 15psi. Hes ran it at 22 to give an idea of how much it was capable of. 12's imo.

http://k43.pbase.com/u39/dkauer744/large/25435135.IMG_2104.jpg

http://misheli.image.pbase.com/u39/dkauer744/large/25435133.IMG_2081.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/dkauer744/import_motion_june

Well known 740 on the board...Very fast car.
http://i2.pbase.com/u37/bitjockey/large/23806612.PC010082.jpg

The Lovely 850 T5-R, car belongs to Doug on the forum.

40518362.jpg

http://k41.pbase.com/u40/bitjockey/large/32619676.32545406.PIC_0027.jpg

how we do: http://i2.pbase.com/u6/bitjockey/large/32677432.SE3046.jpg

Thanks very much.

-Gabe

hello every one, I thought I might post a pic of my moms new car! We got it Thursday and are very happy with it, it isnt the fastest, but it handles great the interior is spotless and is actually pretty fun to drive

Here is our new (used) 2004 volvo S60 2.4:

its fully loaded, sport pakage, leather, sunroof, 11 speaker premium sound system with dolby digital, even little wipers for the front lights!

( i know some of the pics have the BC license plates, thats because those are the dealer pics, and the cars first owners are from BC)

Latest Posts

Back