14 pic Photoshoot: Mexican 1974 Super Bee.

• Thread starter Cano
  • 11 comments

Cano

Premium
Mexico
Cephiro
Been a real while since I posted some work, but I have been way busy. Alas, I've managed to get this small photoshoot together, it's a friend's 1973 Mexico-Only Super Bee, basically a Duster with a V8-4speed combo. These were the fastest things in Mexico streets in the early 70s.

This very car is absolutely original. Paint, upholstery, engine, EVEYRTHING you see here is original and never restored. Odometer reads 19,xxx kilometers. ¡19k! Yeah, almost new.
IMG_2197.jpg

Mexican Super Bee was, as was in the US with the Coronet and later the Charger, an option aplicable to Dusters, it gave you a 318 ci V8 with an A833 4-speed trans with a Hurst shifter.
IMG_2228.jpg

You also received a Dana 44 rear end with 3:54 gears and posi.
IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

Also, the special appearance package with simulated hoodscoops, hood tachometer, contrasting stripes and other stuff, depending on the year.
IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

The interior had buckets, console, Rally wheel, special instruments and logos:
IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

The engine has a diferent cam profile and all fo the bolt-ons of a US 340, so it put down 270-280 hp, which was absolutely supersonic for Mexico in 1973.
Note how original the engine is, all of the patina is original, it has never been apart, and it still boils both tires, I've been in several burnouts in this car.
IMG_2321.jpg

This tag is the original plaque put there by the Chrysler factory in Mexico in 1973, absolutely immaculate.
IMG_2382.jpg

So here it goes. No moving pictures because this was going to appear in a small magazine and was going to be a two page featurette, but the mag went down with the crisis and the shoot has been stalled since. It may still appear in another mag next month, but for now, here it goes.

Last edited:
Long time no see Cano! Good to see you back. Love the shots. What an awesome piece of machinery. That tacho is killer. Am I seeing it right… Is that mounted to the hood?

If it is, it's one of the coolest automotive design features I've ever seen :drool:

It is mounted on the hood. There were a few others that had it, the GTO springs to mind at the moment. There was a reason they stopped doing it though. One reason was that moisture kept building up inside it ( which then they put a heater in it, to stop that.) But still...it's easier to see it if it's inside the car, especially if it's raining, or snowy.

Back to the photos:

They are absolutely delicious. The second and third shots are my favourite. Followed closely by the shot of tach on the hood!

yes, it IS mounted to the hood, it's that bulge aside of the hood scoops. it was a standard feature in Mexican Super Bees, and an option in the US Dodge Demon, Dart Sport and Plymouth Duster 340; yes, there were other cars that had one like this, the GTO had a hood tach, also some Mustangs, in fact, a hood tach was also an option in some Fords, even in Mavericks. The tach in this car has also never been apart and it WORKS accurately. It is the only super Bee tach I have ever seen that works in here at least.

Thanks for the comments guys, I hope I'll be able to shoot this in the road.

thanks all for the coments on the car and the shots, and yeah Giles, for once or twice I've had the chance of putting a car in the light I really wanted for it and it shows, when you get the good light it can make some otherwise pedestrian pictures look a lot better. I love the yellowish glow on the green. also, it was more or less difficult to shoot because of the extreme contrast of its colours, and the light made it way easier. Light rules, hahaha

Great stuff here.

I especially like the angles chosen for the external shots - especially the front driver's side quarter shot.

👍

Back