GTP & GTS EXCLUSIVE Gran Turismo 5 Retail Overview (SIXTH final Update)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,904 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree.. If your car is slow and doesn't accelerate from corner to corner fast enough, there will never be enough heat buildup to justify the purchase of a brake kit.

Well, not sure about circuit use, but my big old heavy barge of an underpowered 520i suffered massive brake fade after 10-15 mins of spirited driving (I'm thinking specifically of the back road to Silverstone from my house), And the brakes on my 635CSi were the only thing I upgraded, even just going for fast road pads seriously reduced the amount of time between my foot applying pressure, the when the car starting decelerating the fastest.

But it is true to say that if you are regularly locking the wheels with standard brakes, then an upgrade to the brakes isn't the first thing on the list to do, I'd getting wider wheels and increase mechanical grip, allowing you to corner slightly faster (and brake less)... and it will help convert braking energy into deceleration, rather than tyre smoke.

.. of course thats just based on my experience of 20-30 year Bimmers... no idea what GT5 will do... I had to drive with ABS on 1 all the time on Prologue.

If your car is slow and doesn't accelerate from corner to corner fast enough, you are not going to drive it on race track

Either way the brakes rarely require upgrading unless your car is going to be racing for prolonged periods of time. Short of having ABS on, if the cars brakes can already lock the wheels and game isn't simulating brake fade then there's no benefit to upgrading the brakes short of you thinking they're going be better. If you mash the brakes and the wheels don't lock even with no ABS then you have dodgy brakes. Upgraded brakes handle heat better and don't fade as quickly, that's the primary benefit by a huge margin.

I disagree

More pistons in the larger brakes provides more braking force on the pads and you increase the pad contact area with bigger discs. The contact area of the disk and the total surface area the pad covers per rotation of the disk.

Yes you could say the pistons may have a smaller diameter if you have more, but they can apply a more evenly distributed force onto the disk than a single piston floating caliper.

Also with the bigger disk, it takes less braking effort to slow the disk down as the pad is travelling further per rotation than the smaller diameter disk.

Pistons in brake calipers do not control braking 'force' in the way you think (clamping force) - the master cylinder does.

Bigger rotors help b/c they're nothing more than a heat sink. Bigger the heat sink, the more heat it can expel. Big calipers with multiple pistons aide in even braking forces and displace more fluid while being heat sinks themselves. As far as braking effort; that can be altered easily by changing brake pads to a higher or lower friction coefficient.

Everything is about heat and keeping it under control. Adding an aftermarket big brake kit is 9 out of 10 times a huge waste of money as most are not designed to work with your master cylinder or proportioning valve. Even worse, many do not even displace more fluid and they weigh a ton.

For track days, the better setup would be dedicated pads/rotors and some sort of air ducting into the rotor hats. Even single piston sliding calipers can work exceptionally well if the correct pads are used and they get some air circulating thru them.

I searched in the thread and it seems that hasn't been asked yet.

About licensing:
does licensing unlock races as in gt-gt4, or just gives you xp to reach the actual level required to race in?

In other words: are licenses required to enter a particular A-spec race?

I don't know if this was asked/answered somewhere before, but are there manufacturer events in GT5?

When Amar is talking about brakes and pedals, he says "However, it is probably a matter of time-investment into skill itself, together with additional investment into some hard sponge (for DFP/DFGT users respectfully)."

What's this "hard sponge" all about?
Or am I being stupid? :dunce:

Current brake systems are powerful enough to lock wheels even at high speeds. Older ones fitted cheaper cars however didn't in many cases.
Also, I doubt that stock brakes would be suitable for race tires. Grip might be so much increased that even modern brake systems wouldn't be powerful enough to fully take advantage of it, let alone last enough without failing completely after a few laps.

Brake fading as MatskiMonk mentioned, is a very critical aspect of sport driving on a race track. On a game that entitles itself "The real driving simulator" the lack of this is a bit of a let down. Even if not perfectly, brake fading and correct brake behavior, in addition to the difference between different types of brakes (racing brakes for example are not suitable for everyday driving for several reasons), should be simulated. Look at fuel consumption simulation in GT5. I'm sure it isn't 100% accurate, but it's a good representation of reality.

Last edited:
Thanks for the continued info Amar, very helpful! 👍

I have two simple questions, one opinion-based, one to do with the Photomode:

1. Would you say license tests are harder or easier than previous games? I'll be attempting all-golds before hopping into races too, so I'd love to know. I can head back into GT4 and beat most tests after a few tries max, for comparison purposes.

2. When viewing a replay and heading into Photomode, is the camera free-roaming, or is it tied to the camera angles/locations in the replay itself? I asked RDK about potentially answering any of the un-answered questions in the Photomode FAQ (see sig), but I thought I'd ask you as well.

Thanks, keep it up! 👍

Amar. You seem to be making a big deal about golding everything in license mode first. I had planned on just flying through the licenses getting whatever I could, JUST to get the license. But to hear you talk about levels and such, its sounding like anything less than gold before going to the regular racing puts you at a disadvantage for things unlocked. Can you elaborate more on your take of the level system and how its forcing us to suffer through the task of golding everything before having real fun?

Also, can you PLEASE discuss NASCAR!? What is unlocked immediately? Do you have to buy all the cars separate? When they talked about car numbers, and its looking like we only have 11 NASCAR unique drivers, can we change the numbers on driver's cars? For instance, to prevent two #24 Jeff Gordons online, can one guy make the Dupont scheme a #27 or whatever?

I think many are frustrated with you because of your patience with the game. Its like the dorky kid who slowly unwraps the gift, trying to save the wrapping paper instead of just ripping the paper to shreds to get to the gift. Im assuming you have good reason to diligently gold everything, so, see first paragraph. We want to understand WHY you are taking this approach.

C.D. is right. In the newest tv spot, the damage model is mentioned again, but none of the guys playing it at the moment is able or willing to drive into a wall for us LOL.

Of course this whole thread is the result of viral marketing.

I think you're confused and very uninformed. There is a video of tekken driving his car into a wall repeatedly at high speeds.

There was no full-race replay in Gran Turismo series since the first game (it was the only GT so far that could "record" the replay for up to 99 laps, we tried it in fact, back in 1998 ). Game Manual points out that "some of the replays can't be saved by full length due to length of the actual race" but it remains to be discovered how much data RAM can sustain.

Wouldn't it make sense for PD to use the Hard disk for replays?
Ps2 had no (default) built in HDD, neither does the 360.
The xbox did and it allowed for things that weren't possible on other consoles at its time.
(texture streaming in halo, long replays, time rewind function in blinx).

The rewind function is there too in games on modern consoles (they might be cramming it in the ram instead of using the HDD on ps3, and definately are doing so on xbox 360 for forza and grid).
But again, if they just used the HDD to stream data to there is no need for a limit on replay length.
It has been done before (on xbox and pc).

Before I move on to my question, I'd just like to apologize to the guy whom I called a "baby." It was unacceptable.

Anyway, has he elaborated on the rally stages? More on point, I recall Kaz saying there would be randomly generated rally courses; is that in the game?

I think you're confused and very uninformed. There is a video of tekken driving his car into a wall repeatedly at high speeds.

You are right, there are such videos. But in none of them you can see the level of damage you can clearly see in many trailers of GT5.
So the question is: in which races do we get the full damage model? Later licensing races, GT life, online races?

Last edited:
So is it correct to assume that damage model is rubbish or Amar hasn't respond to this yet? I know he said he hasn't "encountered" damage but how hard is it to crash a car?

Not as hard as understanding this: Amar CANNOT respond to damage questions until he gets his career into races/events where there IS damage. Not being biased, we still have all options open. Could be rubbish, could be great, could be something inbetween.

One thing we know: National licenses don't have damage.

When Amar is talking about brakes and pedals, he says "However, it is probably a matter of time-investment into skill itself, together with additional investment into some hard sponge (for DFP/DFGT users respectfully)."

What's this "hard sponge" all about?
Or am I being stupid? :dunce:

Not stupid, probably, if you:
a) Don't have a drivers license and don't know the feel of real braking in a real car;
b) Don't have a DFP or DFGT wheels and do not know how "soft" (and with short travel) the brake pedals are in those wheels.

The problem is that you get no feedback sensitivity from the brake pedal in those wheels (and almost none even in the G25, the wheel Amar is using). And because the pedal is so soft it becomes even harder to properly modulate braking. Putting a hard sponge below the pedal will make it work in a way that you have to increase the strengh with every milimeter of the pedal's travel. And that helps.

Hope I was clear, English is not my native language and I have a very limited vocabulary available to give this sort of reply.

Amar, since you posted this up i have been reading it and all the updates.. and i was just reading a few coments and to be honnest your replies to them were disapointing.. I Don't know if you are just trying to keep a good attitute, but in my opinion you shouldn't be saying sorry to people that insult what you done! if it offends them, then let so be it!!!! .. I personally think you analyse this game very well and i learned alot about the game from this review!!! I see nothing wrong with your words.. and If people want to be idiots about how you explain things then just tell them to "fly away" (just so i don't swear)... Keep it up dude.. I would happily read any reviews you post up.. :) :) 👍

You are right, there are such videos. But in none of them you can see the level of damage you can clearly see in many trailers of GT5.
So the question is: in which races do we get the full damage model? Later licensing races, GT lif, online races?

But that's not what I was replying to.

Not as hard as understanding this: Amar CANNOT respond to damage questions until he gets his career into races/events where there IS damage. Not being biased, we still have all options open. Could be rubbish, could be great, could be something inbetween.

One thing we know: National licenses don't have damage.

Not stupid, probably, if you:
a) Don't have a drivers license and don't know the feel of real braking in a real car;
b) Don't have a DFP or DFGT wheels and do not know how "soft" (and with short travel) the brake pedals are in those wheels.

The problem is that you get no feedback sensitivity from the brake pedal in those wheels (and almost none even in the G25, the wheel Amar is using). And because the pedal is so soft it becomes even harder to properly modulate braking. Putting a hard sponge below the pedal will make it work in a way that you have to increase the strengh with every milimeter of the pedal's travel. And that helps.

Hope I was clear, English is not my native language and I have a very limited vocabulary available to give this sort of reply.

I thought it would have something to do with that and I think I may be stupid since I've had a license for 15 years and do indeed own a DFP :dunce:
Will have a G27 soon though and I hope the flappy paddles work with GT5.

Thanks 👍

So the question is: in which races do we get the full damage model? Later licensing races, GT life, online races?

I mentioned it a while back, but I still think that it's something like GT4, where only the Extreme and above races have realistic damage(In GT4's case, fuel consumption and tire wear).

Have you used the co-driver function yet?

Any ideas on full 900 degree steering?

I'm so excited about the rally stuff. Having new point-point stuff that I haven't driven at all and having to rely on my co-driver is just awesome.

I can't wait to go flying down a dirt road at 125 mph in the snow on a track that I've never seen before.

Or in the snow at night!

I mentioned it a while back, but I still think that it's something like GT4, where only the Extreme and above races have realistic damage(In GT4's case, fuel consumption and tire wear).
IIRC GT4 had tire wear and fuel consumption in every race it was just that most of the earlier races were too short for it to have much of an effect.

very large picture[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that huge picture that doesn't actually answer anything that was asked about damage. That level of damage has been shown, previously, repeatedly. They are talking about body parts falling off he car.

IIRC GT4 had tire wear and fuel consumption in every race it was just that most of the earlier races were too short for it to have much of an effect.

I don't understand why these features wouldn't be on for all races. Do we have to "unlock" damage or something? Do we have to "unlock" fuel consumption and tire wear?
It's something I just don't get. I'm new to GT (prolog was my first) and some of this just seems so random to me. Make all these features, along with the ability to turn off ALL assists available from the start.

Thanks Amar, a question regarding Time change on tracks. After viewing the video of Nürburgring Nordschleife race, I believe it was in Arcade Mode, the sun set quickly on the one lap race. Is time change relative to the number of laps selected?, if there was 5 laps selected, would the sun set at a slower rate over the course of the race, this would seem obvious but still have to ask the question.

Amar i know you can't answer every question asked in this thread but there's only one question that is eating me inside until i know. so far im happy with everything, not one negative thing about gt5. My question is...

Does gt5 now allow "flat shifting" with the g25?

I know this was possible in prologue but when updated to spec II or III it disabled it. Flat shifting is where you shift gears without letting off the accelerator (just incase you didn't know). This is especially useful for drifting. If you could answer that for me I'd much appreciate it thanks.

Keep on doing what your doing, we all appreciate your efforts and can't wait to read the next update.

Cheers

edit:I posted/quoted a guy who earlier asked the same thing but for some reason my post wasn't put through as follows:-

double edit: oops, just found the posts!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there any more info on the problems you are having with using the g25 wheel lack of buttons that you reported earlier or have you found some workarounds?

I think this is quite an important issue as people who own this wheel may be concerned like I am.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back