7th GTP F1 World Championship (F1 2010 edition) * SEASON FINISHED :'''( *

It was a good race, but I bloody hate Barhain and for some reason I was really struggling for grip, i'll definitley be better in Melbourne! :)

I qualifyed 9th and Manios got disconnected just before the results came through but the race had finished so technically he came 9th and I was 10th

GTP 7th F1 World Championship - Round 1 - Bahrain

01bahrainencmyk300dpi.jpg

Weather - Dry

Qualifying Results:

Pole - Shaggy Alonso - 1:52.213

2nd. darkpsi - 1:53.011

3rd. Baumi27 - 1:53.265

4th. DOUQA - 1:53.546

5th. - Mutu20 - 1:53.604

6th. NumbPhase - 1:53.967

7th. Jerry786 - 1:54.007

8th. upuaut - 1:57.838

9th. tombrooks97

10th. manios22DC

Race Results:

1st. darkpsi
2nd. Baumi27
3rd. Shaggy Alonso
4th. NumbPhase
5th. Jerry786
6th. Internet_User
7th. DOUQA
8th. upuaut
9th. manios22DC
10th. tombrooks97

Race Report

Qualifying:

Qualifying went according to plan for me. I did 3 laps altogether - first a 1:52.9, followed by a 1:52.6 then on my final minimum fuel run, I did a 1:52.2 which earnt me pole position and 10 points in the bag thank you very much 👍

Race:

Bahrain threw us a bit of a curved ball in that your fuel consumption here is as important as your outright pace. There's no point in running 95% of the race with the engine turned up, maybe earning you 20 seconds or so in race time if you're then going to lose about a minute and a half crawling round the final lap on an empty tank. Therefore, a degree of compromise had to be made by all racers in order to not get caught out by this - whoever made the most efficient trade off between flat-out pace and fuel conservation could be rewarded handsomely come the end of the 25 laps. One racer in particular had an ace up his sleeve in this regard and seemed to have found a way of running almost the whole race with the engine turned up. Such was the value of this that he also turned out to be the eventual winner.

I had worked out that I could only run 5 laps with the engine turned up, 14 with it back on standard and 6 with it turned down to cruise. With the knowledge in mind that darkpsi would have this distinct advantage over me in race pace, I felt my only chance of winning would be if I was able to build up enough of a gap in the first stint before I had to turn the engine back down, and then hopefully, hold on to the win with some robust defensive driving.

However, come turn one on the first lap, these plans were instantly made redundant. I got off to a great start, just as I did in the practice race last week and gained a car and a half's length over the chasing pack. I took a slightly defensive line so as to discourage any desperate lunges up the inside, then as I rotated the car round the corner I was tagged and spun 270 degrees, which required a quick donut to get pointed in the right direction again. (see bottom of post 1) This was catastrophic for my race as it put me dead last as DOUQA, who lined up 4th on the grid became the main beneficiary as he sailed past avoiding all trouble to take the lead.

Ahead of me was tombrooks97. I swiftly caught up with Tom and he went extremely deep into turn 7, off track completely. I drove past but as Tom came back onto track he spun me as I was going through turns 8 & 9 :irked: (see bottom of the post 2)

After I got the place back, I started chasing down darkpsi. I gradually caught up when he had a massive oversteer moment coming out of turn 13. I followed him all the way round the lap and just as we hit the main straight, I took just a fraction too much kerb on the run off of turn 23 and spun :ouch: There goes dark!

I now had to start chasing down the Lotus of Jerry786. We had a couple of laps of hard battling but it was mostly fair (see bottom of the post 3). This was put on hold when I caught the back of Jerry coming out of the final corner, nudging him forward but spinning myself 360 degrees! I caught up to him again just before the pit stop window. I saw he pitted on lap 8 when I had planned to do so, so I stayed out another lap to try and leapfrog him. This was all going according to plan as I was banging in green sector times in clean air until I dropped it trying to lap Tom at turn 16. This wasn't Tom's fault, but in trying to avoid him I spun myself :ouch: no.2

Miraculously, when I exited from the pits on lap 10 with a fresh pair of boots on, I had jumped Jerry anyway. However I had lost position to NumbPhase and Internet_User and I don't know how many others.

Then came the most critical point in the race for me. There was an epic battle between several of us, I can't quite remember who, but I do remember that I managed to get a run on a couple of cars squabbling for position coming out of turn 21, I think they were Baumi27 and darkpsi, and I had bypassed both Dark and James by turn one the following lap. I thought I was in the clear but as I turned into turn 4, my team mate James, braked late and tagged me, allowing the others through. As a result, Tyrrell racing has ordered Internet_User to watch the 2010 Bahrain GP on repeat as punishment. Suffice to say, our race was a million times more exciting 👍

Somewhere amidst this chaos DOUQA got a puncture and the extra pit stop well and truly ruined his race as he came home in 7th when he was the logical winner.

By lap 19, I cautiously decided to turn the engine down a lap early just in case the intensity of the previous 18 laps had burned through more fuel than normal. I profited from NumbPhase turning down his engine as he slipped from the lead down to 4th as I occupied the final podium position.

Congratulations to darkpsi on the win. He skillfully picked his way through the field and once he was in clear air no one was going to catch him.

The tables will be uploaded some time soon 👍

Race Footage
courtesy of DarkPSI:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Class bollocking:

It's with a tinge of regret that I have to do this, but it'll only be for this race as it is the first in the series and I just wanted to clear the air for going forward.

1. This was clearly an accident, but it is required of all of us to concede position to anyone who you have crashed into. This means that even if you come out in the lead and the guy you have crashed into is last, you need to let everyone through until the guy you're letting through has re-passed. This is arguably the most basic fundamental of fair racing on GT Planet. We should all make efforts to avoid comings together, but when they inevitably do happen, the least we can do is try and make up for them. I won't penalise Dark for this but simply issue him with a warning. He understands the mistake and I know he didn't profit from this intentionally.

2. Honestly, this was a dire piece of racing and should not be repeated - people cannot simply scamper back onto the track and wipe out someone who's coming through on the racing line. You can't drive out onto the track without checking it's clear any more than you can drive out on a motorway without checking. I realise this was not Tom's intention as he duly gave me the place back, although even this was laboured as he slowed down on the apex of turn 12 so I had to brake to avoid him and then he didn't cede position as we went side by side into turn 13 👎

I know you had a frustrating race Tom but you really need to work on this. I had reports of your driving being extremely erratic by others too so please take care in future. At the same time I don't want to be too harsh because I understand that none of this was deliberate or malicious and you did offer the place back to me in accordance with the rules which I appreciate. All I will say further on this incident is that everyone who joined is required to adhere to the OLR and if we all read it, we will all know what is and isn't acceptable.

3. You were actually a bit Schumacher esque at one stage Jerry. I had got a good run on you through turn 19, going round the outside which then became the inside of turn 20. As I held this inside line, you then began to squeeze me off the track and I had to back out of the throttle completely to avoid a nasty coming together. This was a bit naughty.

Last edited:
Sounds like you were in the wars Ben, and a lot of it was avoidable. Sucks.

Seems like Gerry is our Schumi of the championship anyway :D

Hi there,

I carefully read your race reports and must agree that this race was epic.
It was a pleasure to race against you and beside of my fault in the first corner every overtake was cool fair and awsome.
I know that bahrain is my most favorite track and next race will be really tough for me so Im lucky to got the points in bahrain.
Im going to upload my whole race on youtube soon...

Best regards

DarkPSI

Great racing last night guys. 👍

Congrats to DarkPSI on the win, and to Shaggy on an awesome pole lap. 8 tenths faster than anybody else is amazing.:bowdown:

So starting from 4th on the grid I didn't get a bad start and the gap to the car behind allowed me to brake early and gently for turn 1. I opted for the good old inside-inside-inside line through turn 1 and it paid off. I skipped the incident and found myself in 1st place. After a frustrating quali this had me feeling much better, especially as Shaggy and Dark were quite a way back down the field.

So engine on standard I tried to settle down and was maintaining the gap to the chaser over the lap. I had an oversteer moment into turn 7 on lap 1 or 2, but caught it with the brake pedal trick and after that I decided to stop worrying about what was behind me. I didnt make another serious error then until after my 2nd pitstop.

1st pitstop was on lap 9 or 10(yes I have a rubbish memory) and much to my surprise I exited still ahead. Then after 4 (or 5) laps on the primes I got a right rear puncture in turn 2 and started swearing.

I managed to let the first group of cars through easily enough through turns 9 to 10 but I think I may have held someone up in the 2nd group. I cant remember where it was but I know at the time I thought I had held someone up. Sorry to you if that was the case. 👍

Now I thought I could finish the race on a set of options, in fact I know I could have, but my crew felt different and gave me another set of primes. So I set the engine to fast and threw caution to the wind. I was hoping someone would run out of fuel and I could gain a position but I started making mistakes then and eventually ran out of fuel myself on the way out of turn 21 on the last lap.

Still enjoyed it though despite it being a boring race for me, I didn't battle anybody but myself throughout the race. I didn't get back in time to set up my capture card but didn't miss much. I'll get some footage of the first 5 laps or so of future races,whenever I've got time to sort it out beforehand, it takes some setting up.

No incidents to speak of and all back markers moved well out of the way.👍

I realise some of you did have some problems and would just like to echo Shaggys comments about the OLR. We should all know it, and if you know it you'll know it goes further than what would be deemed fair racing in real life. If you read the OLR for the first time and didn't think "Christ, they're bloody strict here", then you didnt understand it properly. Aggressive driving of any sort is forbidden because in online virtual racing it invariably ends up causing accidents.

See you in Melbourne. (In my rear view I hope:sly:)👍👍👍

Hi there,

I carefully read your race reports and must agree that this race was epic.
It was a pleasure to race against you and beside of my fault in the first corner every overtake was cool fair and awsome.
I know that bahrain is my most favorite track and next race will be really tough for me so Im lucky to got the points in bahrain.
Im going to upload my whole race on youtube soon...

Best regards

DarkPSI

Been dying to see this Dark :D

If either of you are reading, did DOUQA or Jerry record any of the race?

Apologies Shaggy, it won't happen again:tdown:

No problem Tom and thanks for acknowledging this. The first race of any series is always a bit dodgy when it comes to clean racing as everyone's a bit rusty. I'm confident however that this championship is going to be a massive success. There's too many like-minded, brilliant racers in it for it to be anything else. It's easily going to be GTP's best yet 👍

You were actually a bit Schumacher esque at one stage Jerry. I had got a good run on you through turn 19, going round the outside which then became the inside of turn 20. As I held this inside line, you then began to squeeze me off the track and I had to back out of the throttle completely to avoid a nasty coming together. This was a bit naughty.

I wouldn't squeeze anyone off track purposely. From what i can remember, I took the usual racing line through turn 19 and in the next corner i took the inside line to defend my position

I had no idea you were so close to me
Apologies anyhow :)

Unfortunately i didnt record as I had no time to set things up

Seems like Gerry is our Schumi of the championship anyway :D

No way lol :)

Last edited:

I didn't get back in time to set up my capture card but didn't miss much. I'll get some footage of the first 5 laps or so of future races,whenever I've got time to sort it out beforehand, it takes some setting up.

;)

BTW, In the 6th GTP F1 Championship (or is that 1/6th of a GTP F1 Championship,damn GT5) we used to have a 3 lap practice race to iron out any turn 1 gremlins. Even if we do a 1 lapper it could help even though we may not start from the same position as in the main event.

Last edited:
I wouldn't squeeze anyone off track purposely. From what i can remember, I took the usual racing line through turn 19 and in the next corner i took the inside line to defend my position

I had no idea you were so close to me
Apologies anyhow :)

Unfortunately i didnt record as I had no time to set things up

Taking the inside line to defend is fine but not if someone is already occupying it. I figured you weren't aware of me being there when it happened though so no hard feelings. However I would like to reiterate that everyone should have their proximity arrows on which should help avoid this type of scenario.

EDIT:

Ahh, I made that post without seeing yours. Thanks for the race report DOUQA and hard luck again. Just to let you know you can inform the pits of which tyres you want to switch to by using the d-pad buttons. Might have salvaged your race :indiff:

EDIT:
Just to let you know you can inform the pits of which tyres you want to switch to by using the d-pad buttons. Might have salvaged your race :indiff:

:dunce::dunce: And now that you say, I realise I know.

I doubt it would have made that much of a difference, even without the puncture I'm sure you guys would have caught me eventually.

Taking the inside line to defend is fine but not if someone is already occupying it. I figured you weren't aware of me being there when it happened though so no hard feelings. However I would like to reiterate that everyone should have their proximity arrows on which should help avoid this type of scenario.

Does anyone else's proximity arrows not work 100% of the time? I've had quite a few incidents over the course of playing this game where the indicator should have showed up but didn't. I think it actually happened once yesterday when I was racing Baumi (maybe it was DarkPSI).

Does anyone else's proximity arrows not work 100% of the time? I've had quite a few incidents over the course of playing this game where the indicator should have showed up but didn't. I think it actually happened once yesterday when I was racing Baumi (maybe it was DarkPSI).

Yes, it's not totally reliable it has to be said, but it is helpful.

Is anybody up for an online race tonight about 20.30 GMT?

Sorry, I'll be busy then.

All this seems to be far to moderated, if you slip up you get a bollocking it seems :lol:

My seat is free for whoever wants it.

All this seems to be far to moderated, if you slip up you get a bollocking it seems :lol:

My seat is free for whoever wants it.

I think Jerry has taken your seat....

Nice start for the League, hope that everyone will enjoy racing!!

👍

hi there,

the first 8 rounds are online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibnHiIbpwQQ

enjoy

Nice video man!It's very good for the league if someone can record the race...

I would like to comment also on your driving.
You seem to be a very fast driver, but i can surely say that if you stop looking back so many times per lap you will be much more faster.
Just focus on driving...👍
Keep on the good work!!

That was awesome!! It gets amazing around 5mins. 3 abreast down the home straight :D

Also, opinions on my manoeuvre on Dark PSI around 6:20. I had the inside line there but I also kinda shoved him off the track at the same time. I must say, I hadn't realised that I had done that during the race.

Back