7th GTP F1 World Championship (F1 2010 edition) * SEASON FINISHED :'''( *

That was me, at the time I thought it was a bit of an aggressive move, but after reading your explanation and thinking back on it, I did have time to see you before I turned in, so the line was yours. And no contact was made, good move :)

Thanks man, Yea I thought there was quite a bit of room between us but I ended up running slightly wide and you were right next to me then going off. Pretty good how we kept from crashing into each other though 👍 :)

Just realised that in 3 races in the championship i've had 3 different team-mates...are you sure we should be called Jordan because Hispania has a better ring to it :lol:

Just realised that in 3 races in the championship i've had 3 different team-mates...are you sure we should be called Jordan because Hispania has a better ring to it :lol:

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....... Hahahahahahaha... :lol: Probably

GTP 7th F1 World Championship - Round 3 - Malaysia

03malaysiaencmyk300dpi.jpg

Weather - Dry

Qualifying Results:

Pole - Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) - 1:32.588

2nd. - Baumi27 (Brawn) - 1:32.592

3rd. - DarkPSI (Benetton) - 1:33.5xx

4th. - Pipeslice (Jordan)- 1:34.058

5th. - Mutu20 (Tyrrell)- 1:34.118

6th. - Tombrooks97 (Jordan)- 1:34.894

7th. - Upuaut (Brabham)- 1:36.491

8th. - kcheeb (Hesketh)- 1:37.195

9th. - AliT12 (Brabham)- 1:37.994

10th. - Manios22DC (Brawn)

Race Results:

1st. Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) - 45:18.946
2nd. Pipeslice (Jordan) + 9.0 secs
3rd. DarkPSI (Benetton) + 39.4 secs
4th. Baumi27 (Brawn) + 49.6 secs
5th. Mutu20 (Tyrrell) + 55.7 secs
6th. Upuaut (Brabham) + 1 lap
7th. AliT12 (Brabham) + 1 lap
8th. kcheeb (Hesketh) +1 lap
9th. Tombrooks97 (Jordan) +2 laps
DNF. Manios22DC (Brawn) DNF

Race Footage
courtesy of DarkPSI:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4 (skip to 2:00 for Dark's great battle with Baumi27):

Part 5:

Qualifying:

I'm sure we were all glad for the dry weather in qualifying. I put my first banker lap in of a 1:32.6 which when I came back to the pits I saw was about 1.4 secs clear of anyone else which led me to believe falsely that it would be enough for pole. While on my second out-lap, Baumi27 banged in a stunner - 1.32.5 - to trump me for provisional pole. I pushed a bit harder on my following lap and beat his by the absolute skin of my teeth, just 4 thousandths of a second in it! As it turned out, neither of us improved on these laps on our final runs and so the front row was set.

Midway through the session, DarkPSI's PS3 crashed and he never got the chance to improve on his lap time when he surely would have been in with a shout of the front row. More significantly however, this meant we had to restart the race so that he could rejoin, but with the grid order set to random. The main beneficiary of this was Tombrooks97 who started from pole - however it should be noted that Tom came within 2.3 seconds of pole, that's about 4 seconds closer to the pace than he was back at Bahrain meaning he must surely have the most improved pace of anyone 👍

Race:

With the jumbled up grid order, I started from 4th, an uncomfortable midfield slot with DarkPSI way back in 10th (an advantageous position IMHO). Opting to start on the softs this week, I got off to a blistering start, quickly disposing of two cars and then went into turn one side by side with Tom, with me holding the inside line. I deliberately went wide for turn two to give Tom space but in the end it made no difference as he missed the turn altogether and pushed us both completely off the race track - a crazy move. I was extra careful coming back onto the track at turn 3 trying not to wipe out any of the cars whizzing past. This put me down to 8th I believe.

The next part of the race was rather a blur as I went into battle with seemingly everyone, and it was unclear who was on the options, who was on the primes, who was fast, who was not and generally where I was in the race. I remember on the first couple of laps being extremely close behind Baumi27, who was close behind I think Upuaut. I braked early into the corners to avoid contact, but when I got much better purchase off turn 9, I tagged Baumi unfortunately and had to wait for him to re-pass which I did rather clumsily in hindsight by stopping immediately. What I should have done was drive on until the backstraight and then let him by there. I think this is worth noting for everyone for future reference.

Within a few laps i'd worked my way up to third, behind the leader DarkPSI and Pipeslice in 2nd. Dark was 11 seconds down the road and I set about closing this gap down. I was only able to peg him back by roughly 3-4 tenths a lap on average which worried me as I didn't know if he was on the soft or hard rubber. If he was on the hard, i'd have known then that it was impossible to catch him but much to my relief he pitted on lap 10, but lost about 5 seconds just prior to his pitstop, obviously getting involved in some sort of incident. Just before the pitstop window I'd been chasing down Pipeslice who wasn't a pushover. I felt the easiest way to get past was to attempt to leapfrog him in the pits so I stayed out until lap 12 but much to my amazement, i'd leapfrogged both him and DarkPSI, easily - again both probably ran into trouble with backmarkers :ill:

They had both swapped positions, and as I drove on I noticed Dark tumbling down the field, as low as 6th at one point I think. I knew something was amiss here because he's probably the most consistent driver out of the lot of us. I was soon to have my own taste of backmarker trouble. I came up behind Tombrooks97 and kcheeb who were going at it hammer and tongs with each other. Tom was the driver behind and seemed oblivious to my being directly behind him, weaving wildly to somehow try and grab his attention! During this spell behind them, I lost about 5 seconds and had to defend desperately against Pipeslice while at the same time trying to attack both Tom and kcheeb without crashing into them, who both should have let me through - this was a highly stressful part of the race for me! 👎

Eventually I got past Tom when he went wide at turn 11 and then the following lap I got past kcheeb. I also remember lapping Upuaut, who took a while to recognise I was there but his driving at least wasn't erratic and he let me go at turn one when he realised I was coming through. AliT12 was the only driver who let me through appropriately and in complete accordance with the OLR.

After fending off the backmarkers :irked: and Pipeslice who was the only guy I should have been racing at that point, I pulled out about a 15 second lead. DarkPSI worked his way back through the field and displaced Baumi for 3rd but because of various incidents with backmarkers he found himself well behind 2nd placed pipeslice. I enjoyed my last few laps, getting into the groove finally and setting consistent 1:33's, until it was interrupted by yet another heart in mouth moment whereby, I, in the lead, get taken out with just a couple of laps left by Tom who i'm lapping! Déjà vu :ouch: We went into turn 9 side by side and he spun me 180 on the exit, I had to do two donuts to get facing in the right direction again and genuinely thought I was going to lose the lead. In the end, no harm done as there was only one lap left and my lead was intact, just :drool:

We discussed at length the situation after the race and Dark and I were by no means the only drivers affected by this sort of carelessness. Seeing as we have discussed it, I don't see the need to go into it any more other than to quote directly what it says in the OLR about it:

Drivers that are about to get lapped have to make sure not to interfere with the lapping cars. Slow down on the straights on either side of the track or maintain the outside line during cornering. If for whatever reason you happen to be on the inside line when being overtaken, stay on the inside line until all drivers that were about to lap you have passed. You are not allowed to deliberately block the lapping cars.

Still a fun race as always and I got the impression everyone enjoyed it despite the problems, but I really hope it's a lesson to us all and that we won't have anywhere near the same level of problems in the future. Thanks to everyone who took part, mattymc96 should be joining us next week as well 👍

Here's the tables

Drivers Championship

1st. Shaggy Alonso - 95 pts
2nd. DarkPSI - 77 pts
3rd. Baumi27 - 62 pts
4th. NumbPhase - 34 pts
5th. Mutu20 - 26 pts
6th Upuaut - 26 pts
7th. Pipeslice - 23 pts
8th. DOUQA - 19 pts
9th tombrooks97 - 16 pts
10th. Jerry786 - 12 pts
11th AliT12 - 6 pts
12th. kcheeb - 5 pts
13th. Shark33 - 3 pts
14th. Manios22DC - 2 pts

Teams Championship

1st. Tyrrell - 121 pts (Shaggy Alonso, Mutu20)
2nd. Benetton - 77 pts (DarkPSI, DonkeyFuzz)
3rd. Brawn - 64 pts (Baumi, Manios22DC)
4th. Hesketh- 58 pts (kcheeb, Mattymc96, NumbPhase, DOUQA)
5th. Jordan - 51 pts (Tombrooks97, Pipeslice, Jerry786, Shark33)
6th. Brabham - 32 pts (Upuaut, AliT12)

Last edited:

Tombrooks97 who started from pole - however it should be noted that Tom came within 2.3 seconds of pole, that's about 4 seconds closer to the pace than he was back at Bahrain meaning he must surely have the most improved pace of anyone 👍

Whey! 👍 An up-point! :)

I came up behind Tombrooks97 and kcheeb who were going at it hammer and tongs with each other. Tom was the driver behind and seemed oblivious to my being directly behind him, weaving wildly to somehow try and grab his attention! During this spell behind them, I lost about 5 seconds and had to defend desperately against Pipeslice while at the same time trying to attack both Tom and kcheeb without crashing into them, who both should have let me through - this was a highly stressful part of the race for me! 👎

I enjoyed my last few laps, getting into the groove finally and setting consistent 1:33's, until it was interrupted by yet another heart in mouth moment whereby, I, in the lead, get taken out with just a couple of laps left by Tom who i'm lapping! Déjà vu :ouch: We went into turn 9 side by side and he spun me 180 on the exit, I had to do two donuts to get facing in the right direction again and genuinely thought I was going to lose the lead. In the end, no harm done as there was only one lap left and my lead was intact, just :drool:

Oh man 👎

I'll work on it don't worry 👍

Thanks for the report Shaggy, well done.

Just wanted to throw in a comment, suggestion and question on the back marker issues in the race.

Speaking as a back marker, we're racing as hard as the front runners are and in my case at least, most of my focus is on my next corner and/or the person I'm battling with. I found it difficult to be certain who it was that was behind me, a fellow back marker or a front runner?

Seeing as the front runners know when they're coming up on us back markers, it was suggested in the post race, for the front runners to use their mics to let the back runner know they were there.

Obviously, this isn't ideal, but given the actual F1 drivers have their crew to communicate position etc. with them, it could be a fair compromise and hopefully lower the frustration level of the front runners.

I wore my headset and mic the whole race and honestly it was very quiet and non-intrusive. Unlike some other rooms I've been in.

In the incident you described on the last lap, being in front of Tom what would have been my best action? I didn't particularly want to slow my pace (such as it was) down and let Tom and you by and honestly wasn't sure of the protocol in that situation.

My two cents, cheers.

Yeah good suggestion, that's worth trying I think.

I turned my mic off during the race but I forgot that doing that re-routes the mic to the speakers and I must say that people talking/complaining in detail about incidents distracts me.

If we could limit mic use to simply alerting drivers when passing is happening that could be very useful though.

Anyway, I'm not piling on. I'm glad most people seemed to enjoy the race! Wish I could say the same.

Anyway, I'm not piling on. I'm glad most people seemed to enjoy the race! Wish I could say the same.

No worries, for me, if I don't know, I can't fix it.

And I should get better with experience!

Whey! 👍 An up-point! :)

Well, I thought it was worth mentioning how much your pace has come along - and also at a tricky, technical track like Sepang - it's genuinely quite amazing. But it just goes to show, if you averaged 2.3 secs a lap slower than me in the race then you would have finished 64.4 seconds behind me, but because of all of the incidents you got into you finished over 2 laps behind. It's detrimental to everyone including yourself :indiff:

I'd just try and focus on being smooth and error free like your hero Button :)

Thanks for the report Shaggy, well done.

Just wanted to throw in a comment, suggestion and question on the back marker issues in the race.

Speaking as a back marker, we're racing as hard as the front runners are and in my case at least, most of my focus is on my next corner and/or the person I'm battling with. I found it difficult to be certain who it was that was behind me, a fellow back marker or a front runner?

Seeing as the front runners know when they're coming up on us back markers, it was suggested in the post race, for the front runners to use their mics to let the back runner know they were there.

Obviously, this isn't ideal, but given the actual F1 drivers have their crew to communicate position etc. with them, it could be a fair compromise and hopefully lower the frustration level of the front runners.

I wore my headset and mic the whole race and honestly it was very quiet and non-intrusive. Unlike some other rooms I've been in.

In the incident you described on the last lap, being in front of Tom what would have been my best action? I didn't particularly want to slow my pace (such as it was) down and let Tom and you by and honestly wasn't sure of the protocol in that situation.

My two cents, cheers.

I think i'm resigned to having to do this, and as James says it's better if people keep chat to a complete minimum. Only talking when it's actually necessary. I'm sure this fixes the problem, but I still don't see why with driver tags, proximity arrows and mini-maps all being on that it was so difficult last night for backmarkers to notice us.

About the point where I was chasing down Tom and yourself, what should have happened was Tom should have let me through followed by you resulting in no change of order. However, I seem to remember battling with both of you going onto the main straight and still no one let me through. Having to do a drag race against a backmarker is completely ridiculous and simply shouldn't happen.

Last edited:
I think i'm resigned to having to do this, and as James says it's better if people keep chat to a complete minimum. Only talking when it's actually necessary. I'm sure this fixes the problem, but I still don't see why with driver tags, proximity arrows and mini-maps all being on that it was so difficult last night for backmarkers to notice us.

Agreed and until the end of the race, I think that was the case. I don't think the chat should alleviate the responsibility of the back markers giving way, but a simple 'kcheeb overtaking' if I'm not letting someone through will help a lot.

About the point where I was chasing down Tom and yourself, what should have happened was Tom should have let me through followed by you resulting in no change of order. However, I seem to remember battling with both of you going onto the main straight and still no one let me through. Having to do a drag race against a backmarker is completely ridiculous and simply shouldn't happen.

Again, awareness on my part would have helped, but with three things to focus on, the track, the mini map, the tags (which I think only help when you're already in front of me), I found it hard. At any rate, I'll try to do better this Sunday.

The proximity arrows never seem to work online which really sucks :(

The proximity arrows never seem to work online which really sucks :(

I noticed them when you were making me sweat :)

New guy here, I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative. I agree with back markers giving way. I'm just trying to figure out a way that will make that happen so we can all come away with smiles on our faces.

I noticed them when you were making me sweat :)

New guy here, I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative. I agree with back markers giving way. I'm just trying to figure out a way that will make that happen so we can all come away with smiles on our faces.

Well it was a good battle so they were needed 👍 but they never seem to work when a leading car is overtaking the backmarker 👎 the only problem is that blue flags don't work with reduced rules :banghead:

Well it was a good battle so they were needed 👍 but they never seem to work when a leading car is overtaking the backmarker 👎 the only problem is that blue flags don't work with reduced rules :banghead:

Moving the penalties up to full was discussed post race. There seemed to be some apprehension to doing that. Is it too punitive or is there another reason for not wanting to move to that level? Blue flags could take care of the whole issue.

Moving the penalties up to full was discussed post race. There seemed to be some apprehension to doing that. Is it too punitive or is there another reason for not wanting to move to that level? Blue flags could take care of the whole issue.

Yeah, it's a real shame that blue flags aren't with rules set to reduced. The problem with realistic rules is that they are completely unfair. If for example, you get punted and you cut the apex of a corner, that'll most likely result in a penalty for you. Or if someone has spun on the racing line and you unavoidably crash into them, even after braking, you'll get a penalty for that. I just think with the rules set to reduced that it's far more consistent and fair.

Yeah, it's a real shame that blue flags aren't with rules set to reduced. The problem with realistic rules is that they are completely unfair. If for example, you get punted and you cut the apex of a corner, that'll most likely result in a penalty for you. Or if someone has spun on the racing line and you unavoidably crash into them, even after braking, you'll get a penalty for that. I just think with the rules set to reduced that it's far more consistent and fair.

Agreed on the Blue Flag, hopefully they've listened 💡

Didn't realize you'd be penalized like that, that would be worse by far.

Well Tom you just put me off getting the Logitech Driving Force GT lol Im thinking of getting the G27, what wheels do you guys have and would you recommend them?

Lol, I manage to break everything, still quite annoying with the pedals though :/

It does seem that I might not be good enough for this championship :(

Back