Official Shift 2 Bugs List Thread

Syntax error

Staff Emeritus
Australia
Melbourne
Fett_up
totallyfettup
Welcome to the official bugs list thread. After some requests and discusion with GTP members, we now have a bugs list thread. Most of us are aware that the developers frequent the site, in particular Ian Bell, thus we now have a bug list thread we hope he will take the time to read. To all posters, please be aware of the following thread rules:

1. This is not to be confused with the rants thread. This threads purpose is not for you to air your grievances and misgivings. Things like poor camera angle in livery editor or time attacks starting mid corner, are not bugs, these types of issues are poor mechanics and design issues and therefore don't belong in this thread.

2. Keep it civil. Not that reminding should be neccissary, The AUP applies to this thread and will be strickly enforced.

3. Once a bug has been verified (either by multiple users confirming the issues or screenshots) it will be added to a list on this first post.

4. When reporting a bug, it is important to note the console you are using. Not all versions of the game experience the same problems.

5. It can take a little while for me to occasionally update the list. Don't get upset if it's not done asap. I have a life, a demanding job and two children under the age of 2 so if I haven't updated the the list for a few days, just drop me a polite PM.

6. Keep it civil. Just thought a second reminder is needed.

Last edited:
PS3

1. About a week ago i was racing in the "Works" races.The game wouldn't load(before the race) after about maybe 5 minutes so i restarted the PS3.When i booted back up the menu screen only had the Career and Options to choose from.I chose the Career and it brought me to the very first race with the Skyline.When i completed the first race it showed i was still at level 20.All the events were locked except for the Modern D races.

The one thing that i don't get is that i have restarted my console before when the loading screen would freeze up and no problems.The only thing that i could figure was the "Works" events were to blame.I heard that the Works events were even unplayable for some people.

2. This only happened once.I was in a race and the game started to slow down at the start of the race.Crew people were walking slow,the babes with the signs were walking slow.When the race began the frames per second slowed to almost a complete halt on the first corner after that all was good until i got to the 4 corner.The screen turned purple,red,green and had a bunch of wavy lines going through the colors.Then i found myself in a wall.

It's never happened again,but i thought i would share that one.

3. Sometimes when the games starts it freezes at the menu screen.It does that at least 5 or more times a week when i get on.

4. The rear view mirror goes away whenever you get in another car.
This is not from cockpit view,but from hood view.It seems no matter how many times i save it to keep a rear view mirror in my HUD it goes away when i get into a new car.

5. Sounds cut in and out on some vehicles.It doesn't happen with all vehicles,but i've noticed with the higher powered vehicles it cuts out quite a bit.It usually only does it on the first and last lap of the race when it does happen.It's kinda weird.

So far that is the only things i can think of at the moment.If i think of anything else i will post it.

PC:

1. "Floating crowds". This is not my screenshot, but it happened to me too once. I'm not sure which track it was on though.
shift2u2011-04-2122-49-43-03.jpg

2. "White dots" appear in the top left side of the screen, usually when there are trees on the track. Again, not my screenshot, but it happens to me all the time on multiple tracks.
9119230012-orig.jpg

3. Sometimes I'm racing and the sound disappears for 1 second, then the screen turns black for another second and then everything comes back online. Could be the driver issue though, but I think I've seen others report the same problem.

4. Random crashes to desktop, happened multiple times after the race was over and I was watching the replay.

5. Same as Starfirebird's bug #4: Disappearance of the rear view mirror.

6. Force Feedback is weak during rolling start events. This is fixed by pausing/unpausing the game. I think this is a universal bug.

7. Cars sometimes hit the invisible barrier. AI could be driving right in front of you with no cars around and then their car starts flying into the air like it hit a wall or something on the road without any obstacles present.

That's it so far.

PS3: Game freezes when driving fast cars

It's most noticeable when driving works converted cars, I am usually not able to finish even one full lap of the nordschleife in a works car.

It also happens with non-works cars, if they're fast enough (like my fully tuned but not works converted impreza).

Edit: patch v 1.01 did not fix the problem.

Edit: patch v 1.02 did not fix the problem.

Last edited:
On Shanghai Time Attack, theres a certain part of the track after the big jumpy part that is glitched up, and if you drive your car onto it, the game lags a LOT, but the timer still goes normally. This glitch makes it nearly impossible to win that event.

PS3:

- The car was sideways when starting the race. restart solves it (happened once)
- freeze using a porsche 918 works at pergusa at night and I can't finish the 1s lap (every time I try)
- muffled/weird/wrong engine sounds - solved restarting a race (happens often)
- freeze between races at "championship" events (happened once)
- if you hit something the object floats in front of the car for a few seconds (happened a few times)

That's all I remember

When driving the Nurburg GP track down the final long straight before the chicane, there appears an object up in the sky, which looks to be like a copy of an object at the last corner (grandstand/ advertisement, …).

This has been seen clearly during a night race. I didn't check, if it is visible during day races.

I just had an interesting bug:

I attended the 3rd race in the Suzuka Red Line Challenge with a works modified Mazda F3C.
I shortcut the intro video sequence with the "O" button and started as normal in cockpit view.

What was odd though was, that the Motec display of the Mazda constantly displayed "N" as selected gear, it didn't matter, which gear had been selected throughout the whole race ;-)

Everything else worked flawless, and I found this little bug actually a nice touch, as I remember the feature of "reliability" and breakage back to the EA F1 titles on PC, which used the gmotor engine (there is a tweakable variable for breakage).

In the GTR series, this has been a feature as well, as I remember - nice, to see this back again.

PS3:

- sounds getting muffled out for some seconds, without any obvious reason
- livery editor: angles of mirrored objects are not correct
- livery editor: elements of user created livery show up at random places on the car or angles are totally different than when you made the livery
- freezes in: race, especially with faster cars (circa 5), exiting tuning/upgrade menu (circa 5), livery editor (2)
- graphical glitches in crowds, trees, objects, parts of cars not showing
- prize money not paid out (luckily didnt happen to me, but several other people in this forum)

PS3:

My old man was playing yesterday and every car he drove skipped gears so from 2nd to 4th hitting 3rd for a fraction of a second!! He was using the G25 at the time and he had not smashed the car so no damage to gearbox, it was from off the line.

PS3:

- The car was sideways when starting the race. restart solves it (happened once)

Same here, happened to me once on Tokyo.
PS3
Only bug I found so far...but I'm only level 14.

Another bug for PC version:

- When I was trying to take a picture in the replay mode, I spend good 5 minutes figuring out the proper location of the camera, zoom, etc. Then I pressed "take a picture", and the camera sound happened, but then I could not do anything. The game pretty much froze, the music continued to play but I could not exit the never-ending "taking picture" mode. Had to kill the game. Then I went back to see if the picture was actually taken. There was a black square instead of an actual shot. Also, this happened after the race finished, not during the race. Not sure if this matters.

I'm not sure if this constitutes a bug, so someone else let me know if you have the same problem:

On PS3 my Mclaren MP4-12C regularly has it's engine blow, causing a disqualification. This is the only car that has this happen without intentionally trying to blow the engine. I drive it the same as all the other cars I have, but I regularly get a blown engine after only a few laps. This only happens with the MP4-12C, no other car does this to me. Bug, or user error?

I've found some stuttering racing Zolder at dawn near the chicane. It doesn't seem to affect game play to the point you can't control the car but still. I wonder why it happened on this track only so far...

I've found some stuttering racing Zolder at dawn near the chicane. It doesn't seem to affect game play to the point you can't control the car but still. I wonder why it happened on this track only so far...

I found Zolder to be very stuttering, when approaching the hairpin before the chicane at every race on a old PS3.

I had a strange bug today on the PS3, Having started the Time Attack challenge on the National track in Spain.
All cars where rendered like this:

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

I could restart the race, while the issue persisted.

Also where engine sounds strangely remote.
At first, I think, to remember, where the engine sounds of my own car mute, while other cars could be heard.
After a restart of the race, I tried to hear this again, but the engine sound was there, but strangely muffled.

After I quitted the race and went back to the garage, the car looked normal in the garage:
IMG_0629.JPG

I had this happen as well. Last race of the GT3 championship is at Zolder and it was chugging along.

PS3 Slim, 120GB/Fanatec G3 RS V.2/Sony 37" HDTV/HDMI:

Spent some time doing quick races post patch tonight and I encountered the following-

Race Starts Facing Backwards:

Quick Race/Miami Bayside Run-Day/No Opponents, started on grid facing the wrong way.

Quick Race/London Royal Mile-Day/No Opponents, started on grid facing the wrong way.

In both instances throttle input was concurrently unresponsive, restart within the race failed to rectify issue.

Issue was rectified by quitting race and then starting again.

Input Lag

Has improved but still noticeable.

FFB

Although Fanatec wheel is not officially supported, FFB seems improved, especially during hard transitions like chicanes.

Options/Gameplay/HUD Bug

Even if Full HUD/Mirrors On is saved, game defaults back to Full HUD/Mirrors Off next time Options menu is invoked. This issue was present pre-patch too.

AI

Vastly improved, magnetic suction cup action resulting from light contact is now gone.

Invitational Event Loaner Cars

Massive tail wag still persists.

Game is now playable, (Thanks SMS), will post more stuff tomorrow night.

Last edited:
It is a feature.
The engine does allow a certain reliability value, which allows random mechanical failures, to be simulated, like in real racing ;-)

In the F1 series, still with the ancestor of the Shift 2 engine (gmotor), the different F1 teams had a different weighting factor for these failures to happen.

I like these things to happen, although frustrating, as Shift 2 doesn't allow for pit stops (yet).

PS3 post patch 1.01
AAARRGGGHHH I just lost my Porsche Spyder works custom livery. Took me over 4 hours work. :scared::scared::scared::scared:
I noticed that when I selected custom livery on other cars one or two of them also had that livery on but I didnt pay any attention to it because its a bug (obviously) and I didnt want custom liverys on the other cars. But them I sold those cars and even not having selected the custom livery for them I lost my livery on the original one that I didnt sell.:crazy:
To be honest Im not sure if that was the reason but why would it happen them? besides being a bug?

The freezing issue is driving me up the wall.

PS3 here

Yes I also getting tired of the game freezing in the ring (quick race - time trial) just when your about to nailed a fast lap.

The FFB on a Logitech DFGT after the patch is just brilliant, its just a shame that it only works properly when you start the game and in the first quick race (time trial) because then in the races after that its like someone just turned the FFB from 100% to 10%... Please fix this because the FFB is one of the best I experienced in any console racer and its a shame that we can only have a sample of it from time to time...

Last edited:
Sorry if this was mentioned.

The retro VW Golf appears to have some tuning problems. Applying brake upgrades actually increases stopping distance. With full race brake upgrades and semi-slicks, it's now at 100-0; 8.32s. That's not right. Also the cockpit upgrades don't do anything visually for this car, though that may be intended.

Also, and I know not related to bugs as much, but does the minimod change any sounds? When in corners, the constant tire squeal seems to have been replaced by a sound that sounds suspiciously like popcorn popping. It's actually worse and more distracting than the tires.

PS3 post patch 1.01
AAARRGGGHHH I just lost my Porsche Spyder works custom livery. Took me over 4 hours work. :scared::scared::scared::scared:

Same problem on PC.

I have lost 2 liveries so far. The cars are simply medium gray after this happens.

First seemed like a random event and happened a couple of weeks ago. Second was my Martini Porsche livery that I spent 2 hours on. :mad:

I noticed this after the patch, but I'm not certain it was related.

M

It hurts a lot... I just lost my Shelby Cobra livery :indiff: (took me over 1 hour) after buying and selling two cars, it seems the custom livery attaches itself to some cars and even if it is not showing or selected when you sell them you loose the liveries :ouch:(even if you keep the original car)

I dont know if its a bug or is intended but I loose a lot of money converting cheap cars to works and then selling them because it seems the money I spent on the pre works upgrades is not refundable. the car pays off like this -

car price + works cost = refund - but I loose the money that I spent to make it works ready.

I lost over 1500,000 already - yes I know but I like to try all the diferent cars in the game :(

Last edited:
PS3 here

Yes I also getting tired of the game freezing in the ring (quick race - time trial) just when your about to nailed a fast lap.

The FFB on a Logitech DFGT after the patch is just brilliant, its just a shame that it only works properly when you start the game and in the first quick race (time trial) because then in the races after that its like someone just turned the FFB from 100% to 10%... Please fix this because the FFB is one of the best I experienced in any console racer and its a shame that we can only have a sample of it from time to time...

I get freezing on the ring too.

I've tried a Lambo,Porsche and the Insanely fast Scion and it freezes.

It seems to be ok when you use slower cars.

Xbox360:

• Disappearance of the rear view mirror, see https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5238589#post5238589
  • At every start of the game I get a message a certain DLC car has been added to my garage but it's only there every second time, i.e. I have to restart the game to see the car if it's not present.
  • Screenshot function is broken: The picture looks very bright in-game, downloaded to the PC it's too dark :crazy:. Maybe a bug within the gamma conversion. JPG compression is very high so a lot of artifacts can be seen.

Latest title update is installed.

Last edited:
@ tribolik: No, the non-refund works conversion is not a bug. You get a warning message before your first works conversion that your pre-works upgrades will not be refunded when you sell the car once its works converted.

Latest Posts

Back