Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
The Elite wheel seems to have 3x cables going into it.
So I assume that is power, shifter and pedals.

Again this would look like the handbrake is indeed connecting to the pedals.

I can confirm that you connect the CSHB directly to the CSPs and that it is fully compatible to FM3 and FM4 on Xbox (analog)

I have tried that already, I have sent an email requesting a refund last week. But to no avail, fanatec has not replied.

Enough is enough.

You did not send me any PM so far. Therefore i do not have any contact details or any order information from you.

I have no idea if you ever placed an order and to what email adresses you write. But if you ignore several invitations to send me a PM it can only mean that something is wrong with your story and you just want to destroy this thread.

Time to bring this to the attention of the admins.

Quite definitely, there is some empathy for buyers who do not get their goods when they have paid. But this is business and it is really "caveat emptor". Whether story is true or false, no one ever puts a gun to one's head to force a sale in this era.

My interest in this thread was about the CSS Shifter, which in retrospect Mr T did announce at E3. The expectation was from oneself to see a working shifter so technically, Fanatec is not liable for disappointing. The new wheels were a bonus though.

Personally, all I wanted was a good shifter and if TM launches one with the T500RS as a package, I would be more than willing to forgo my existing GT3RS2 and CSP combo (hopefully it gets a good resale price) unless the CSS is launch soon. I hope I do not miss the load cell and vibration in the CSP with the T500RS. Anyone able to comment on the T500RS pedals; are they any more inefficient than the CSPs?

To my surprise, nobody really had a close look at the new CSR shifter set. The shifter is based on the old Porsche shifters but the knob is pure metal and feels heavy and solid. We also made it less noisy but kept the good tactile feedback.

Thanks for confirming that the CSHB works with both FM4 and FM3.
Its going to be very nice with FM4 off road tracks then and of course the drifters.

With it working with FM3 does that mean it is detectable in other games as an analogue axis?
For instance will it work with Dirt 3 on PS3/X360 or would they need to update the game to recognise it?

Appreciate if you can elaborate as this is a very important question. The reason why is that console gamers would likely, rather avoid a situation similar to the T500. Look at T500RS downside in not offering proper FFB for past titles and needing new SDK implemented. Shift 2 for example was a huge disappointment not supporting the T500RS and is a real disadvantage with that wheel. Their is also the issue of what future PS3 games might not support it and that's weird for a product sold as officially licensced Playstation hardware.

I remember doing on here my own list of PS3 games that were compatible with GT3RS V1. So Thomas if you were able to release a list of compatible games for the CSHB it would certainly encourage confidence in the product.

Alternatively if at some point youd like people to do compatibility testing on PS3/X360 for the CSHB Id love to help.

Last edited:
To my surprise, nobody really had a close look at the new CSR shifter set. The shifter is based on the old Porsche shifters but the knob is pure metal and feels heavy and solid. We also made it less noisy but kept the good tactile feedback.

I think many people did noticed the metallic knob, but were most interested in seeing and get reviews of the CSS instead. I assumed the CSR shifter had just minor upgrades compare to the standard one since no one reviewed it (assuming people at E3 and ISR had the opportunity of trying it).

Enough is enough.

You did not send me any PM so far. Therefore i do not have any contact details or any order information from you.

I have no idea if you ever placed an order and to what email adresses you write. But if you ignore several invitations to send me a PM it can only mean that something is wrong with your story and you just want to destroy this thread.

You are right, enough is enough I have sent several emails to fanatec's contacts, however these go unanswered. Why don't you provide me with your email address or check your companys inbox once in a while.

Time to bring this to the attention of the admins.

Do you think that will help me get my order in a timely fashion then?

Do you think that will help me get my order in a timely fashion then?

No, that'll help you get warned by Admin. Whatever sympathy you may have received from other users of this forum has long since evaporated thanks to your constant trolling/spamming and derailing tactics over various threads.

This whole episode has become tiresome and pathetic; much like your unfunny "smart-arse" responses.

Reported.

Look I get it OK, this is between Fanatec and myself. Thanks for your consideration

No, that'll help you get warned by Admin. Whatever sympathy you may have received from other users of this forum has long since evaporated thanks to your constant trolling/spamming and derailing tactics over various threads.

This whole episode has become tiresome and pathetic; much like your unfunny "smart-arse" responses.

Reported.

Ever hear of the song "Angry Young Man" by Billy Joel. Read those lyrics, they might fit you quite well left. We ALL have a little angry young man in us, but damn, you take the cake.

To get back ON TOPIC if any of you are considering modding your CSP's, go for it. It is VERY easy to do so. BUT, there is this pesky allen screw on each side that is tough to get to. Getting it out is not really an issue with some elbow grease, it's getting it back in where the challenge awaits.
IMG-20110623-00032.jpg

Its the little guy on the left. Tough to get back in. That is my only riff with modding them. The actual modification is EASY to do.

i think many people did noticed the metallic knob, but were most interested in seeing and get reviews of the css instead. I assumed the csr shifter had just minor upgrades compare to the standard one since no one reviewed it (assuming people at e3 and isr had the opportunity of trying it).
+1

That's a shame ISR didn't go into more detail in their review then.

Thanks for confirming that the CSHB works with both FM4 and FM3.
Its going to be very nice with FM4 off road tracks then and of course the drifters.

With it working with FM3 does that mean it is detectable in other games as an analogue axis?
For instance will it work with Dirt 3 on PS3/X360 or would they need to update the game to recognise it?

Appreciate if you can elaborate as this is a very important question. The reason why is that console gamers would likely, rather avoid a situation similar to the T500. Look at T500RS downside in not offering proper FFB for past titles and needing new SDK implemented. Shift 2 for example was a huge disappointment not supporting the T500RS and is a real disadvantage with that wheel. Their is also the issue of what future PS3 games might not support it and that's weird for a product sold as officially licensced Playstation hardware.

I remember doing on here my own list of PS3 games that were compatible with GT3RS V1. So Thomas if you were able to release a list of compatible games for the CSHB it would certainly encourage confidence in the product.

Alternatively if at some point youd like people to do compatibility testing on PS3/X360 for the CSHB Id love to help.

Console gamers should probably just go with the fanatecs if they primarily play on consoles. T500RS is a PC wheel that just happens to work on PS3 if the game supports it.

And Shift 2- it really doesn't work so great on the Fanatecs either (see Raudi's post earlier). I personally blame the software developer for that. That's why I purchase games like that on the PC. Thrustmaster sent EA developer kits. I have no doubt Slightly Mad Studios could have acquired them. Great game, but a little rushed and suffers due to that. That game works smooth as butter on the PC. I only see console gamers complaining about crashes, losing FFB, input lag, etc. Nightmare! Works so much better on the PC

In any case, besides the nice graphics and campaign, it falls wonderfully short of the advanced PC sims. But most console racers do for various reasons.

Surely most of you already know this: http://911wheel.de/?q=node/5957

Probably that is the best new I could hear.

If Thrustmaster does not react, Fanatec will monopolize the sim market.

The T500RS wheels have already been modified to use F1 style racing rims. The rims are detachable so you can replace them with another rim. I personally don't play with F1 cars enough to warrant such a drastic change personally. But I commend Fanatec for making a rim and listening to their fans.

Quite definitely, there is some empathy for buyers who do not get their goods when they have paid. But this is business and it is really "caveat emptor". Whether story is true or false, no one ever puts a gun to one's head to force a sale in this era.

My interest in this thread was about the CSS Shifter, which in retrospect Mr T did announce at E3. The expectation was from oneself to see a working shifter so technically, Fanatec is not liable for disappointing. The new wheels were a bonus though.

Personally, all I wanted was a good shifter and if TM launches one with the T500RS as a package, I would be more than willing to forgo my existing GT3RS2 and CSP combo (hopefully it gets a good resale price) unless the CSS is launch soon. I hope I do not miss the load cell and vibration in the CSP with the T500RS. Anyone able to comment on the T500RS pedals; are they any more inefficient than the CSPs?

Keep the CSPs and sale the gt3rs. This is a very common topic on iRacing forums. OR- continue to wait on that CSS Shifter. Thrustmaster doesn't seem to be in too big of a hurry so you have time. It's a shame both Fanatec and Thrustmaster are unable to provide a new shifter. I think that's what many people are already pinning for.

edit: Very disappointing E3 too me overall. Not any good new racing games coming out beyond FM4 which I am not too thrilled about. Not sure when rFactor 2 hits but hopefully before christmas. Xbox 360 still way behind PS3. Only like 2 different types of wheels to choose from: Mad Catz new FFB wheel ($230?) and Fanatecs. No Thrustmaster shifter I can order right now. Pretty lackluster through and through. Fanatec did show a lot of promising products though but it took ISR forever to post up their film. While we waited for the vid, they posted up filler episodes of Driver (cant even use a wheel) and The Run! I'm sure they shot the E3 footage a long time ago should've been posted that week

Last edited:
Ha ha Latte.

You brown nose.

Okay damn, but if you dont ask you certainly dont get... :sly:
Maybe I deserve a prize for my crystal ball Fanatec predections (joking).

Reported.

I got a "smart-arse" toned PM from him but wont be replying to that or anymore of his posts.

Console gamers should probably just go with the fanatecs if they primarily play on consoles. T500RS is a PC wheel that just happens to work on PS3 if the game supports it.

The T500RS is listed on Thrustmasters own site as a PS3 wheel and not a PC wheel. It was marketed from the start as the official GT wheel and advertised as a PS3 official product. Yes I understand it is also a PC wheel like the G25/G27 are that work on PS3 yet those are marketed as PC wheels and T500RS is marketed as a PS3 product.

While that isnt exactly the case regards FFB it is compatible in emulation mode. Regards Shift 2 how does it work on PS3 with a Logitech G series wheel as those are PC wheels? It just seems they never bothered with T500RS as it was going to be a small proportion of buyers of the game that would be effected.

At least Codemasters have done the right thing.

Last edited:
Yea $230 for MadCatz. Sadly, it will sell because of its price. But, for anyone who cares about their racing as more than "just a game" then Fanatec, Logitech, or Thrustmaster are the way to go. MadCatz is for the unfortunate / unknowing one.

Also, Thomas, will the CSR shifter come as a set? or Just H-Pattern. And, what will the price be like, and release dates? I would assume same time as the CSR line in the fall/winter. Even though the standard h-pattern is plastic, the redesign and smoother shifts make it not so noticeable.

I only see console gamers complaining about crashes, losing FFB, input lag, etc. Nightmare! Works so much better on the PC
No, same thing on PC. Huge input lag (seems a bit lower than on console, but still huge compared to any other racing game on PC), autolog crashing the game very often, crossfire/sli issues, poor ffb. The game has a great potential that is spoiled by the lack of optimization (mainly input lag and poor ffb).

Yea $230 for MadCatz. Sadly, it will sell because of its price. But, for anyone who cares about their racing as more than "just a game" then Fanatec, Logitech, or Thrustmaster are the way to go. MadCatz is for the unfortunate / unknowing one.

Also, Thomas, will the CSR shifter come as a set? or Just H-Pattern. And, what will the price be like, and release dates? I would assume same time as the CSR line in the fall/winter. Even though the standard h-pattern is plastic, the redesign and smoother shifts make it not so noticeable.

AGP5000, you are asking the right questions. Since these are FM4 wheels I would hope he is making provisions to get them to the US in time for launch? My guess is Fanatec has been oddly silent on this point because he wants to clear out the GT2 wheels, etc? I don't expect an answer and I may be way off. I lack Mr Latte's crystal ball :ill:

Perhaps Fanatec can verify if the CSR wheels will be available in time for FM4. That Sept timeframe might be suitable for me for that non-elite CSR wheel... I confess though I must decide do I want to invest a sum of money into Xbox 360 jsut for 1 game. I will want a CSR non-elite, CSR pedals, CSR shifter, & wheelstand.

Hey Fanatec, does the CSR non-elite have ability to use F1 style rim?

I am really playing with the idea of making a purchase in Sept. But alas, I will not be a patient customer but I will be respectful and only harass you via PMs hehe 👍

I'm interested in the price tag too. Since the CSS will be sold at $99.95 and the standard set at $29.95, will the CSR shifter be $49.95? Might as well rid of the current standard plastic ones and make the CSR shifters as the new "standard" catgeory.

Hey Fanatec, does the CSR non-elite have ability to use F1 style rim?

Unfortunately no. This will be for the unseen and unknown Clubsport wheel that will likely be about $750-1k(IMHO). That will have an interchangeable wheel design like that Audi one.

Sorry back on topic- $230 for Mad Catz is pretty crazy. I keep thinking they are not aware of Fanatec or something!

They do, but they see the fact that the cheapest you can go is $300 for the GT2 and standard pedals. To some, that small difference is huge when you are on a strict budget and still want to have an ok at best wheel to race with.

Honestly though, and I hate to bash Thomas on this since he has always kept his word with me, the standard pedals are a complete waste of time. 60%+ of them fail within 6 months, and they need to keep sending replacements out. Seems like an expenditure more than a profit.

I hope with the CSR line, they phase out the "standard" line. The shifters are not so bad, but damn those pedals. I take great care for my electronics, and they failed me after 1-2 months. BUT, if they do, Fanatec offers a $50 deduct + Free shipping on the CSP's if you can afford it. That is what I did. But for some, they will continue to get replacements that will continue to fail them. Seems like a bad loop to be involved with.

Okay damn, but if you dont ask you certainly dont get... :sly:
Maybe I deserve a prize for my crystal ball Fanatec predections (joking).

I got a "smart-arse" toned PM from him but wont be replying to that or anymore of his posts.

The T500RS is listed on Thrustmasters own site as a PS3 wheel and not a PC wheel. It was marketed from the start as the official GT wheel and advertised as a PS3 official product. Yes I understand it is also a PC wheel like the G25/G27 are that work on PS3 yet those are marketed as PC wheels and T500RS is marketed as a PS3 product.

While that isnt exactly the case regards FFB it is compatible in emulation mode. Regards Shift 2 how does it work on PS3 with a Logitech G series wheel as those are PC wheels? It just seems they never bothered with T500RS as it was going to be a small proportion of buyers of the game that would be effected.

At least Codemasters have done the right thing.

On their main site, I only see them mention it's a GT5 wheel which why the reviews only score it as a GT5 wheel. If they rated it as a PS3 wheel even ISR said their score for it would've been lower (due to limited compatibility with older games). I just checked their main ad on their site it just says "Official GT5 Wheel".

That's why I've always advised people if they want a good multiplatform console wheel the Fanatecs are the obvious choice

@ceth, that's weird I find the FFB pretty good along with stability on Shift 2 PC. I fear I'm drifting off topic here so perhaps we can make comparisons are something in my Shift 2 PC T500rs thread or via PM. Or just chalk it to perhaps it behaves a little different with wheels.

They do, but they see the fact that the cheapest you can go is $300 for the GT2 and standard pedals. To some, that small difference is huge when you are on a strict budget and still want to have an ok at best wheel to race with.

Honestly though, and I hate to bash Thomas on this since he has always kept his word with me, the standard pedals are a complete waste of time. 60%+ of them fail within 6 months, and they need to keep sending replacements out. Seems like an expenditure more than a profit.

I hope with the CSR line, they phase out the "standard" line. The shifters are not so bad, but damn those pedals. I take great care for my electronics, and they failed me after 1-2 months. BUT, if they do, Fanatec offers a $50 deduct + Free shipping on the CSP's if you can afford it. That is what I did. But for some, they will continue to get replacements that will continue to fail them. Seems like a bad loop to be involved with.

Man I was hoping they would revise those standard pedals after all those complaints. Yeah I would definitely go with the CSPs which I can also use with my t500rs

@ceth, that's weird I find the FFB pretty good along with stability on Shift 2 PC. I fear I'm drifting off topic here so perhaps we can make comparisons are something in my Shift 2 PC T500rs thread or via PM. Or just chalk it to perhaps it behaves a little different with wheels.
Fanatec wheel here too (gt3rsV1), as raudi. Maybe that's why.

That's why I was happy when Thomas told here they were working at Fanatec to fix the shift2 ffb issues, before Redi reminds me GTP was a console oriented forum... So I guess Thomas was referring to a console fix, not pc :(

On their main site, I only see them mention it's a GT5 wheel which why the reviews only score it as a GT5 wheel. If they rated it as a PS3 wheel even ISR said their score for it would've been lower (due to limited compatibility with older games). I just checked their main ad on their site it just says "Official GT5 Wheel".

For the record, I will say again T500RS is marketed as an "Official GT5 Wheel" but it IS an "Official PS Licensced Product" complete with the PS logo.
It not only says so on the box but also the manual.

VR7Za.jpg

The point of having something listed/sold as "Official Licensced Product" when it isn't fully compatible or fully supported is a bit of a joke and indeed a disadvantage of the T500RS product.

Back