Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
**This thread best viewed with auto picture re-sizing OFF**
S3_new_bannerpsd.png

Welcome everyone to the General Discussion thread for the Flyin' Miata Super Cup Series Season 3! As you can see we are running under a slightly different name than most, as we are the FIRST GTPlanet GT5 Online racing series to have an official title sponsor, as well as additional supporting sponsorships from Hydra EMS and AlpineStars apparel. A huge thank you goes out to Flyin' Miata for jumping on board last season, and Hard Dog Fabrication for their added support for Season 3. Growing on the tremendous success of the first season thread with 2,200+ replies, season two eclipsed the 3,700 mark and we're certainly not finished yet! My goal is to make this series as big, if not bigger than every season before it. If you are looking for fun, clean racing than you have come to the right place.

FMSC3 Race Stewards:
The people listed below are given rights to authorize rules and regulations in my absence, should they arise. If I am not around to answer a specific question, or cannot attend a race for personal reasons, drivers should contact any of them for answers.

• Wardez
  • BrosifDuder
  • Aderrrm
  • Dr_Watson (TnJF)

banners_news.png

Below you will find the News Board. When something significant needs to be known, I'll post it here so you have so there is a centralized location for the most important information.
  • Championship weekend schedule posted here (12/06)
  • Results posted for Race 5 (12/04)
  • Results posted for Race 4 (11/29)
  • Added Race 3 photos to Flickr account (11/28)
  • Opened registration for Divisions 1 & 3 (11/16)
  • Added race photos to flickr account (11/16)
  • Added Flickr Account (11/08)
  • Race 1 Results and Updated Points posted (11/06)
  • Added Race Results Links (11/05)
  • Added Championship Standings Link (11/02)
  • Added Division 3 (10/26)
  • Added Facebook Account (10/19)
  • Added Twitter account (10/18)
banners_rules.png

All participants will be expected to follow the GTP Online Rules and Regulations HERE.

The Car:

This season we are running the new Roadster TC from the first official GT5 DLC car pack. The car will be run completely stock, very limited adjustments to the tuning are allowed, and no parts should be installed. This puts everyone on a level playing field and allows the drivers talent to shine through. This will be enforced by using the new "Restricted Tuning" option in the online lobbies. The only item that can be adjusted freely is the brake balance.
  • Added Parts - NONE
  • Tuning Allowed - Brake Balance
  • Tires Allowed - Sports Soft
car_banner2.png

Practice & Race Room Format:

Anyone that is on the current registration list is allowed to open a practice room, as long as there is not already one open. It is highly recommended that you create the room as a Fixed Host so that when you leave random people that are not part of the series do not take over the room. If others want to keep practicing, they can open a new room using these same rules.

All drivers will be required to follow the GTPlanet Online Racing Rules outlined HERE while in these practice rooms!

Practice & Race Room settings are as follows:

Event Settings:
  • Boost: OFF
  • Penalty: NONE
  • Grip Reduction: REAL
  • Visible Damage: OFF
  • Mechanical Damage: LIGHT
  • Slipstream: WEAK
  • Tire / Fuel Consumption: ON
  • Grid Type: Grid with False Start Check
Regulation Settings:
  • Performance Points: Unrestricted
  • Power: 216 HP or Less
  • Weight: Unrestricted
  • Drivetrain: FR
  • Tire Restrictions: Sports Soft
  • Vehicle Tuning: Prohibited
  • Skid Recovery: OFF
  • Driving Line: OFF
  • Active Steering: OFF
  • TCS: OFF
  • ASM: OFF

Qualifying:

Pre-Race qualifying will be held 10 to 15 minutes prior to race start, depending on the size of the track. At that time, the track will be reset to erase the previous practice times so everyone starts with a clean slate.

• Once you enter the track to start your qualifying run, you are NOT allowed to exit the track.
  • After the allotted time the host will announce the end of qualifying.
  • Please complete your final lap, press the start button and then press exit ONCE, freezing your car on pit road.
  • The race host will check timing and scoring, then announce the grid order. Remember your position!
  • Race host will then start the race.
  • IMPORTANT: If the race starts and you are not in the correct grid position, SAY SOMETHING!

banners_divisions.png

This season we will be running three separate divisions to help with the varied schedules of each driver, which also allows us to open registrations to drivers in European countries. Each division will be combined into a single points table, and drivers will accumulate points based on race finishing position, and bonus points described in post #3 below.

Each division will be a full grid of 16 drivers.

Division 1 Race Information:

• Races will be held on Sunday at 4:00PM EST. Room opens at 3:00PM EST (Convert HERE)
  • Open practice is allowed upon entry. Qualifying starts 10-15 minutes prior to race start
  • Microphones are not allowed during the race, please turn them OFF
  • Drivers are highly encouraged to race CLEAN
  • If you have a problem with another driver, please send them a PM
  • A mandatory mid-race pit stop is required

Division 2 Race Information:

• Races will be held on Sunday at 10:00PM EST. Room opens at 9:00PM EST (Convert HERE)
  • Open practice is allowed upon entry. Qualifying starts 10-15 minutes prior to race start

Division 3 Race Information:

• Races will be held on Sunday at 6:00PM EST. Room opens at 5:00PM EST (Convert HERE)
Quitting the race and parking your car on the side of the race track is distracting to other drivers, and is strictly prohibited.

banners_legal.png

• All the information contained in this post is for FMSC use only! If you would like to use this format for your own racing series, please contact me first or I will consider it stealing and will report it.
  • Sponsorship logos are used with permission from respective companies. Any attempt to use these logos without the written consent of their owners is strictly prohibited.
  • Those that would like to link to this series, please use the following link: http://bit.ly/fmscmain

Last edited:
banners_schedule.png

Wildcard Race Schedule for Saturday, December 10th
GRID ORDER
Room Open: 2:00pm EST (7:00pm GMT)
Track Unveiling: 2:10pm EST
Practice: 2:10pm to 3:00pm EST
Race Start: 3:00pm EST

Championship Race Schedule for Sunday, December 11th
Room Open: 3:00pm EST (8:00pm GMT)
Practice: 3:00pm to 3:45pm EST
Qualifying: 3:45pm to 4:00pm EST
Race Start: 4:00pm EST

Click below each schedule graphic for race results. (When available)

banners_points.png

Points will accumulate based on race position and bonus points described below. Drivers will be allowed to drop their lowest scoring round from the scheduled race season to help with their overall points position before the Championship race at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. The top 5 drivers from each division, along with 1 additional wildcard driver, will run a 1 Hour and 20 Minute season finale to determine the World Champion.

The wildcard driver will be determined by taking the 6th -10th place drivers from each of the three divisions. These drivers will run a 15 car race at a track to be determined on the day of the race. The starting order will be based on points position, with the highest points 6th place driver getting pole position. The winner of this race will receive 2 Bonus Points and will move on to the World Championship finale.

Drivers that disconnect from the room will be marked with a DNF and will be issued points based on their order of race exit. Example; Driver A disconnects first, they will receive points equivalent to last place, etc. If a driver feels the need to quit the race, they will be required to remain in the race lobby until the finish of the race.

Please Note: Updated points standings may not be up immediately following each race.

Bonus Points:
  • 1 Point for leading a lap
  • 1 Points for leading the most laps
The bonus points above will DOUBLE during the World Championship race at Laguna Seca.

Points System:
  1. 32
  2. 28
  3. 26
  4. 24
  5. 22
  6. 20
  7. 18
  8. 16
  9. 14
  10. 12
  11. 11
  12. 9
  13. 8
  14. 7
  15. 6
  16. 5

Division Series Championship Prizes: (x3)

Each driver positioned at the top of their division at the end of the regular season will receive the following:
  1. Car of their choice up to 1,000,000 Cr.
  2. Selection of paint chips
  3. Matching Driver Suit / Helmet combo
World Championship Prizes: (x1)

FMSC3_Prizes2.png

Last edited:
banners_registration.png

Available Car Numbers:
2, 9, 14, 18, 26, 39, 45, 46, 48, 49, 50, 54, 55, 59-65, 67, 70-76, 78, 80-83, 88, 90-92, 94, 97, 98
  • Make sure your car colors are final, as they can NOT be changed after your driver graphic has been made.
  • If you choose a duplicate car number, I will PM you to request a different one.
  • Chrome colored cars are prohibited. (Wheels are OK)
  • If you have already registered and need to make changes, please PM me. Do NOT re-register.
During the season if you miss a race you will be replaced by a Reserve Driver for that race. If you miss more than two races in a row without contacting me or a race steward, you will be dropped from the series.

banners_drivers.png

Division 1 (2 Spots Open)
driver_info_6666Z06.png
driver_info_7toyotsupra.png
driver_info_10biffy.png
driver_info_17joshua1994.png

driver_info_24cowboys.png
driver_info_27owensracing.png
driver_info_28longbowx.png
driver_info_31infinitalNG.png

driver_info_41aderrrm.png
driver_info_56andil.png
driver_info_57jackargent.png
driver_info_77paulmac2k9.png

driver_info_84yzfmike.png
driver_info_99wiifreak.png

Division 2 (2 Spots Open)
driver_info_3forcednduckshn.png
driver_info_4outlaw4rc.png
driver_info_5diabolicalJ.png
driver_info_8sohnvonstig.png

driver_info_12ketiux.png
driver_info_13schadenfreude.png
driver_info_21brosifduder.png
driver_info_22bdubclub.png

driver_info_29jayb2.png
driver_info_33R1600Turbo.png
driver_info_35gravydavy.png
driver_info_36ripwelshdon.png

driver_info_42muoniula.png
driver_info_51motorcity.png

Division 3 (3 Spots Open)

driver_info_11wardez2.png
driver_info_16carracerptp.png
driver_info_19drwatson.png
driver_info_30nepalii.png

driver_info_32grayfox2.png
driver_info_34spyhunter.png
driver_info_37cslacr.png
driver_info_44theminion.png

driver_info_52nastradamus87.png
driver_info_79KOS79.png
driver_info_86greennarcotics.png
driver_info_93mule9242.png

driver_info_96redreevos.png

Last edited:
It's a brand new thread. Hooray!!! :D

ship_christening-bottle-breaking.jpg

Now for the first official question. How do we handle sign-ups for Season 3? Do we want people to post here or should we set something up on the FMSC site?

I have a fancy google docs input sheet we're going to use, just as soon as I'm satisfied with it. I don't actually plan on starting sign-ups until we are 100% satisfied with the new rules, etc. :)

Edit: I brought over all the Season 3 discussions from the website and put them above in the second post. I have also removed the forums from the website, so all discussions will take place here. 👍

Is it a Google sign in sheet RT? 👍 to that. Makes it so when people sign up it adds them nicely and clearly into a spreadsheet. Do it like I did in WSGTC and add another form for color changes and all your work from last season's start having to go around looking for different people's posts and color changes will be *poof*... gone :).

Is it a Google sign in sheet RT? 👍 to that. Makes it so when people sign up it adds them nicely and clearly into a spreadsheet. Do it like I did in WSGTC and add another form for color changes and all your work from last season's start having to go around looking for different people's posts and color changes will be *poof*... gone :).

This season I was just going to forget about keeping track of people's colors. Despite this, I would HIGHLY recommend people choose a color before they sign up and PLEASE stick with it.

This season I was just going to forget about keeping track of people's colors. Despite this, I would HIGHLY recommend people choose a color before they sign up and PLEASE stick with it.

Neeevvveeeeer!!!!! However, I call orange and yellow when signups open. I want that harddog sponsorship ;)

^^^ That's another thing. As stupid as it might seem to some people, I would encourage people to find a sponsor, match their car to that sponsors colors, and stick with them the whole season. 👍

Tuebo what time slot are you guys thinking of using for your next season? I'd definitely like to join in the fun!

Not sure yet. That's what this thread is for, suggestions and ideas. We're still trying to figure out if we want to keep the schedule the same or change it up, which includes figuring out how to run the series with more than one room.

Edit: I'm about 90% sure it'll be on weekends though. Sorry fil. :(

Last edited:
Weekends work for me, we are looking at staying on the same time on the GTFIA so hopefully I'll be able to run in this series and will definitely run the iRacing series too!

I was relatively sure it'd be on the weekends. The job just doesn't allow me to gt5 anymore. Still subbed though. hahaha.

R1600Turbo
There's also the possibility of having people sign up for Room A, or Room B. Run a 10 minute qualifying session and 20 minute race for each room worth half points. Top 8 from each room move to the final race that is worth full points and you grid by evens and odds as you suggested.

So what does everyone think about that? ^^^

^^^ That's another thing. As stupid as it might seem to some people, I would encourage people to find a sponsor, match their car to that sponsors colors, and stick with them the whole season. 👍
I sorta already had a sponsor last season, Red Bull. Fortunately, they've already announced their return as my sponsor for next season. 👍

The only stumbling block is matching the colors. Does anyone know which chips work best? I was in the ballpark the last race but I think I can do better.

24vmsmu.jpg
2ir2edd.jpg

R1600Turbo
R1600Turbo
R1600Turbo
There's also the possibility of having people sign up for Room A, or Room B. Run a 10 minute qualifying session and 20 minute race for each room worth half points. Top 8 from each room move to the final race that is worth full points and you grid by evens and odds as you suggested.
So what does everyone think about that? ^^^
That doesn't sound too bad, actually.

Then again, this whole talk about how to schedule everything becomes moot if we can't get more than 16 people to commit to the series.

Last edited:
Well you can count me in for season 3 of course! 👍

I'm open to the idea of sport hards, but the mediums were a good balance of requiring a bit of throttle control while still having plenty of grip to keep the racing close. When I'm not racing the Miata, I really love racing ridiculous power/tire ratios like 600pp+ on sport hards. As fun as that is, it doesn't usually make for very close racing which is what spec Miata is all about.

What we really need is to get the championship as close as the individual races are. The last race of both seasons were pretty much irrelevant as far as the championship winner was concerned. Granted, this was due to previous connection related DNS/DNF situations. A longer series (7 races?) with the ability to drop one race should make for a much closer series.

I really don't think you need to mess with the formula too much; just keep building on the success of the past 2 seasons!

We can certainly keep the same formula if we only have enough sign-ups for one room, but if we expand quite a bit and end up needing two rooms, I really like my idea posted above.

Here's what I am looking at:
  • 1-20 signups = current format
  • Qualifying two hours before race
  • Current points layout
  • Car specs will stay the same
  • Adding two races to schedule
  • 6 of 7 races count towards championship

• 21-32 signups = split room format
  • 2 qualifying races, 1 final race
  • New points layout
  • Car specs stay the same

Edit: Outlaw - I think you need a brighter red for your wheels. 👍

I am here to mark my territory in this glorious thread.

Here's what I am looking at:
  • 1-20 signups = current format
  • Qualifying two hours before race
  • Current points layout
  • Car specs will stay the same

• 21-32 signups = split room format
  • 2 qualifying races, 1 final race
  • New points layout
  • Car specs stay the same

I like the proposed format for dealing with increased sign-ups. However, I have a question. Let's say we have 25+ participants show up for the first three races of the season and we run Format B (2 quali races). What happens if there are only 18 racers who show up for the 4th race? Would we still run Format B or would we revert to Format A, keeping in mind that Format A has a different points layout than Format B?

I think if we are going to allow a person to drop one of their results that the maximum attainable points per weekend should be consistent throughout the season.

Use both? If we only have 18 people sign up for a given weekend's race, we'll revert back to format A. Wouldn't be too confusing because we can make the schedule the same for both formats.

Edit: So the next question is, what time suits everyone's schedules? Should we plan on running earlier in the day so that anyone in Europe can join us?

Anything starting up to 10pm BST works fine for me. I think that's 5pm EST and 2pm PST but I know that won't go down well with all the regulars. :dopey:

I'm in! Just P.M. me the time of the races. Chances are I'll be able to make most of them.

PSN: lvoldemort666
Car Color: Sublime
Wheel Color: Black
Car Choice: '89

I'm in! Just P.M. me the time of the races. Chances are I'll be able to make most of them.

PSN: lvoldemort666
Car Color: Sublime
Wheel Color: Black
Car Choice: '89

Anything on a Tuesday or Thursday will be EXCELLENT for me!

This thread is just for general discussion of Season 3, not for sign ups. We like the people who race in the series to be actively involved in the thread by contributing ideas and thoughts.

Also, please watch the double posts, the forum moderators at GTPlanet frown upon such activity. If your post is the most current and you need to amend the text you can simply use the "Edit" feature and add in any additional dialogue.

Edit: As for the day of the races, Season 1 & 2 reserved Sunday as race day and I don't anticipate Season 3 being any different. The OP wanted to know when on Sunday would work for everyone while keeping in mind that an earlier time slot than the previous two seasons (8:00pm EST/EDT) would allow Europeans to participate.

Last edited:
Use both? If we only have 18 people sign up for a given weekend's race, we'll revert back to format A. Wouldn't be too confusing because we can make the schedule the same for both formats.

Edit: So the next question is, what time suits everyone's schedules? Should we plan on running earlier in the day so that anyone in Europe can join us?

Involving Europe (if PSN even lets regions mix) is probably a non starter.
As someone who played a LOT of quake on servers all over the world the lag between the US and Europe is a very real technical hurdle.
From NY to London you're looking at a minimum 100ms most likely 120ms. Which is entirely playable.
From NY to Paris you're looking at 120ms - 150ms ... getting iffy but still playable.
From NY to Germany it gets unplayable at 170+

Now those are figures from the east coast to Europe. Do remember that North America is the same width as a trip from the east coast to France. So from NY to Texas is about 70ms... NY to California is back up to 100-120ms. So imagine the lag between poor egghead in Vancouver trying to race against someone in Germany with about a quarter of a second lag between them.
PSN is also sadly peer-to-peer which makes things even worse (i really miss the days of dedicated servers).
So, stay on the continent until we figure out ways around the speed of light limitations imposed by distance.

---

Personally I would prefer earlier start times than last season. My wife is less annoyed if we're not racing in "prime-time" on weekends. But I understand that can't get too early due to west coast time constraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back