3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Left just told me about the series, I do not have a GTP PSN account yet, however I will make one and get on the qualifier list asap. I'd really like to race with you guys tonight, I'm sure Lefty would rep me.

Hey guys, Left just told me about the series, I do not have a GTP PSN account yet, however I will make one and get on the qualifier list asap. I'd really like to race with you guys tonight, I'm sure Lefty would rep me.

You don't need a GTP ID for this event in our series, just a referral from anyone with one including Lefty. If Lefty vouches for you here on the thread you're in simple as that. Just send me a friend request with whatever PSN you're going to connect with. And see you at 7:00 PM PST in my lounge.

If you want to take part in all future events definitely create your GTP ID and run the quali. 👍

EDIT: 3D3 must be good luck, we had five of the registered drivers promoted today!!!

Last edited:
Yah I'm good w/ "the Beefster" we just ran 15+ laps on the track and he's all good w/ it.

@ Beef, join the WRS and give your GTP_ login some street cred 👍

Last edited:
Gettin it done gettin it doen!~

Cool! You're in... just send me a friend request (to GTP_WRP001) from whatever PSN account you are going to use for the race and you can join my lounge at 7:00 PM PST.

Or post your PSN ID here and I'll send you a request...

EDIT: Got it... GTP_Waffles

Great to see 8 racers in the running!
And a new GTP_ member? Nice 👍

Wait... Promtions???
:D:D:D

Lounge and qualifying open... come and race!!!!

Outstanding race everyone 👍

Congratulations to Tim for winning the first inaugural 3D3 race event!:gtpflag:

I really had no idea that little Peugeot could be that much fun :D
We'll post a full recap ASAP, as well as the details for the next event.

Thanks to everyone for coming out to make this a great event.
We had originally figured 3, maybe 5 drivers at best, so It was awesome to have a field of 8 for our first event.

wafflepants, and SC.. Welcome to the series, and GTPlanet!

Lefty was so right... trading paint was great fun!!
:cheers:

Last edited:
Great race everyone, that was really fun! I had a nice battle with Lefty for the longest of time, sorry if I bumped you a few times and sorry for the honk, I was switching between the analog steering and the d-pad in the last section of fast corners and I accidentally honked during a close call before the start-finish line.

All in all great racing, no voluntary bumping/ramming, fair play, it's how it should be :)

Great race everyone, that was really fun! I had a nice battle with Lefty for the longest of time, sorry if I bumped you a few times and sorry for the honk, I was switching between the analog steering and the d-pad in the last section of fast corners and I accidentally honked during a close call before the start-finish line.

All in all great racing, no voluntary bumping/ramming, fair play, it's how it should be :)

Watching you and Lefty battle it out was fantastic! You two definitely had a great race going.

I don't think I've ever used the horn :lol:, totally forgot about it (all 400 flavours of it - what a weird game detail for PD to push so much :confused:)

Congrats on your D2 promotion too! 👍

So glad I made it to the race, had a ton of fun! 👍
I pitted on lap 19, but wish I'd gone in earlier, about the time the leaders did. O well, I haven't thought about pitting since GT4! :dunce:
Sorry for any incidents I caused, and I know I cut a couple corners, oops, but if penalties were on, it never "caught" me.

Congrats on the promotions! :cheers:

Thanks Marc and Tim for doing the majority of the work to get this going, totally rad.

Lucas

I would like to say that the get together at TMReverse couldn’t have been more fun. As coincidents would have it I just ran my other online event at the same track on Sun. and this event was so much more fun. The other event “Pratt & Miller GP” in the Corvette was so intense and then there was this race being of the rubber band powerd variety. It just screamed of close racing for lap after lap. Waffle and T13 gave me the best racing I have ever had online w/ GT5. Low power howe-downs are always the best.

I updated the event post with the results, but copied here:

3D3_20110914_Event1_Results-1.jpg

Watching the replay was really cool. Lefty and T13R basically had a battle for all 30 laps and side by side for most of one lap... And at the start there were two different scrums going on for two entire laps.

Quick Race Report: The start was clean and two different packs emerged after the first turn with WRP001, Hydro and MilleRSVR up front and T13R, Gravitron, LeftyWright and Waffles mixing it up in a 4 way battle just a couple seconds behind. SCBuilder was right behind but pretty much had no room to pass with the 4 wide battle in front of him. After about three laps MilleRSVR dropped back just a bit from the front pack and got in battles with Gravitron and the rest of that second group. WRP001 and Hydro exchanged the lead several times during the first stint up until pit stops with a 7-10 second gap to the pack. Hydro made a surprise move and pitted a little early after lap 14. Looked like the winning strategy when WRP001 emerged from pits after lap 16 trailing Hydro by about 10 seconds and leaving Gravitron in the lead. Gravitron pitted after lap 17 and gave the lead back to Hydro. However, fresher tires really made a difference and WRP001 steadily chipped away at Hydro's lead and caught him at the end of lap 28. Gravitron had the freshest tires of the top 3 and made up ground on both of the front two drivers, but the gap was not small enough to make up the difference and Gravitron ended up in 3rd. WRP001 took the lead from Hydro on lap 29, but Hydro battled back a couple times in the final two laps, pulling right up to the bumper and even alongside, but WRP001's fresher tires helped him hold off the charge and come away with a victory. Hydro finished 2nd a mere 0.613 back and probably led the most laps (not certain). T13R and Lefty basically had a 30 lap battle for 4th and swaps spots too many times to count. T13R finally got a little space on the final lap and took the spot.

Now just have to figure out how to distill 60 minutes of fun into one short video!

EDIT: I just realized you guys let me capture the triple crown this week: Pole Position, Fastest Lap, Race Win! Good day :lol:

After the main event, we ran a short 10 lap "Mini Me Shootout" (Mini Cooper @ Autumn Ring Mini). Gravitron took that one going away and wire to wire.

1. GTP_Gravitron
2. GTP_Waffles
3. GTP_LeftyWright
4. GTP_WRP001

Last edited:
That was great fun guys, congrats to WRP001 on the win.

I was happy hanging with the front runners for a couple of laps, but couldn't maintain the pace. I was alone in third for several laps, with Gravitron slowly but surely gaining and then passing me for the position. I hung in forth for quite awhile until I hit the outside wall pretty hard entering the long uphill back straight, which killed my momentum. Lefty and T13R both passed me at that point putting me back to sixth, which is were I finished in the end.

A great clean race guys, can't wait to see the video.👍

Looking forward to the next one.:)

Last edited:
Here's some pics from the race.
I'm amazed at how close some batttles were.
T13R and Lefty were basically going at it for the first 17 laps.
Great close racing, and somewhat unbelieveable that there were no incidents worth noting.
It speaks volumes of the drivers, and the WRS training driving racing school! :gtpflag:
Obviously, with racing this tight, some rubbing was expected....the few last pics tell it all ;)
TrialMountainCircuit_10.jpg

TrialMountainCircuit_12.jpg

TrialMountainCircuit_13.jpg

After the first couple of laps, a 3 way battle for the lead ensued for several laps.

TrialMountainCircuit_14.jpg

But the 4 way battle behind that was far more exciting to watch, especially as it lasted for 7-8 laps with all 4 drivers in a ridiculously tight group.
I really didn't think it was possible to run this close online for so many laps.
TrialMountainCircuit_16.jpg

TrialMountainCircuit_18.jpg

TrialMountainCircuit_20.jpg

TrialMountainCircuit_22.jpg

But the battle of the night easily goes to T13R and Lefty 👍
These two were just amazing to watch in the replay.
TrialMountainCircuit_23.jpg

Of course, that kind of close racing comes with a few scratches :lol:
TrialMountainCircuit_27.jpg

Fortunately T13R's pit crew was, well, Magical :D
TrialMountainCircuit_25.jpg

TrialMountainCircuit_26.jpg

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Nice pics, Hydro! 👍 BTW, go change your signature to D3 Gold!

Looking forward to Tim's highlights video.

I updated the event post with the images (thumbnail version). The video is uploading... 259 minutes remaining... :lol: EDIT: 163 mins remaining...

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be cool to attach a custom livery file to these RTR cars to be able to diferentiate the different drivers in some way. Maybe when the pics are grabed someone could run them through Photo shop to add some kind of driver assinement to the cars for the viewer.

Wouldn't it be cool to attach a custom livery file to these RTR cars to be able to diferentiate the different drivers in some way. Maybe when the pics are grabed someone could run them through Photo shop to add some kind of driver assinement to the cars for the viewer.

Next time we use cars from recommended garage we should assign unique colors to each driver... that will help. For some other events we can apply our own paint jobs in GT5 to make them unique. For race car events like the DTM we'll all be stuck with nearly identical cars.

In the video it's easier because you see which driver is selected on screen and who is ahead/behind him... so it's pretty clear... stills are tougher.

Next time we use cars from recommended garage we should assign unique colors to each driver... that will help. For some other events we can apply our own paint jobs in GT5 to make them unique. For race car events like the DTM we'll all be stuck with nearly identical cars.
Great ideas 👍
I'm on it!
I'm somewhat familiar with photoshop ;)
CrazyAudiSquirrel.jpg

I'll include a tag for each driver from here on in, and I might update this week's race just to see how it works out... now to go back and see who is who :lol:

Different colours would be great as well, when it can be done (we actually considered this for the first event, so let's do it after all).

Here is something that I just threw down

2dmfpcp.jpg

I just slamed down some numz and then used "free transform" to rotate and sque the numz. Then I flatend the layers and it was a saveable jpg.

Careful what you wish for Lefty....

lefty.jpg

lefty2.jpg

lefty3.jpg

:lol:

I'll create a series-specific graphic, and use it to identify the drivers 👍

3D3_logo_40pct.gif

Presents...
Decisions, Decisions Online

NrburgringGP_D_9.jpg

**Important: This event has been moved to Tuesday September 20 due to a scheduled PSN/GT5 maintenance period on Wednesday September 21.**
**Date changes are highlighted in red below. The start time has not changed, and will remain at 7 PM PDT (10 PM EDT)**​

Disclaimer: This is *NOT* an official GTPlanet or WRS sanctioned event and members are not obligated to take part.

Event Summary

Title: Decisions, Decisions Online
Event: Online adaptation of the GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 28 Event: Decisions, Decisions
Host: GTP_WRP001's Private Lounge
Time: Tuesday, September 20 at 7:00 PM PDT (EDT = 10 PM, GMT = Sept 21 at 3:00 AM).
Duration
: Approx 90 minutes. 30 minute qualification / 60 minute race (25 laps)

This race is based upon WRS event that provided the inspiration for the 3D3 Racing Series, and we've been dying to run this online race ever since!
The banner above the BMW says it all...

Driver Eligibility

Eligibility for this 3D3 event will include GTP_Registered members plus referred drivers. A registry member can make a referral for this event by simply including other drivers PSN IDs with their own registration request in this thread. To guarantee eligibility for all 3D3 events run the GTP_Registry qualifier and join the registry now!

Registration
  1. Reply to this thread and include in the text of the message your GTP_ PSN ID and the title of this event "Decisions, Decisions Online". To sign up (refer) a driver not on the GTP_Registry, a registered driver should include the PSN ID of the non registered driver(s) in their post.
  2. Send a PSN friend request to GTP_WRP001 with subject line "3D3 Racing" if you haven't already done so. Any referred driver(s) will also need to submit a friend request.
There is a 16 car/driver limit for this event and slots are awarded on the grid using a first come first serve basis. Reference the registered drivers list below for availability. This is a stand alone race and points are not tallied for a series. Future races hosted by 3D3 racing may have different driver limits and will require re-registration using the same first come first serve basis and participation in future events is optional.

If for some reason, after you register for the event, you are unable to attend the race please send a PM to one of the 3D3 racing stewards or post in the thread so we can update the registration list and make the spot available to another driver.
This particular WRS event offered drivers a selection of 3 different cars. Please see the Car and Tuning Details listed below for this week's race-specific setup.

Event Timing

• Qualification: Tuesday September 20, 7:00 PM PDT (30 minute session)
  • Race Start: Tuesday September 20, 7:30 PM PDT
  • Race End: After 25 laps. Target race duration of approximately 60 minutes.

Lounge Settings

• Race Quality: Standard
  • Voice Chat Quality: TBD. Race stewards will be mic'd for the event. If you have a chatpad or keyboard, please use it.

Course

• Track: Nurburgring GP/F

Car: Any of the 3 Cars Listed Below Can be Used:
  • Audi abt Audi TT-R Touring Car '02
  • BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01
  • Opel Astra Touring Car (Opel Team Phoenix) '00
***If you missed the original WRS event, or don't have any of the listed cars, the BMW is currently available in the Online Car Dealership***

Vehicle Specifics Audi:
  • Power: 543 HP (Stock Car with Oil Change and Stage 3 Engine Upgrade)
  • Weight: 1080 kg
Vehicle Specifics BMW:
  • Power: 557 HP (Stock Car with Oil Change and Stage 3 Engine Upgrade)
  • Weight: 1120 kg
Vehicle Specifics Opel:
  • Power: 525 HP (Stock Car with Oil Change and Stage 3 Engine Upgrade)
  • Weight: 1000 kg
Tuning Specifics for All 3 Vehicles :
  • Engine, Intake, and Exhaust Modifications : Stage 3 Engine Upgrade
  • Turbocharger or Supercharger: Not Allowed (Verifiable on replay HUD)
  • Engine Power Limiter : N/A
  • Oil Change : Required
  • Skid Recovery Force Aid: OFF (The race event settings will be set to prohibit the use of SRF)
  • Other Aids (Traction Control, Active Steering, and ASM): Optional
  • Transmission: Optional - OK to alter individual gear ratios and final drive ratio
  • Aero: No Aero Parts can be installed on this car in GT Auto - Aero Tuning is Optional
  • Tire Type: Racing Hard
  • Chassis Reinforcement: Optional
  • In Event Tuning Settings: Optional - NOTE: Any tuning gimmicks that offer an unfair advantage are not allowed. These would be things like the Subaru Toe Bug found on GT5 Prologue.
Event Settings
  • Game Mode: Normal Race
  • Laps: 25
  • Start Type: Grid Start
  • Grid Order: Fastest First (based on 30 minute qualification session)
  • Boost: No
  • Penalty: Weak (to penalize cutting corners on this track, particularly the final chicane)
  • Automatic Race Start Cycle: Disabled
  • Race Finish Delay: Set to the Max 180 Seconds
  • Grip Reduction: Low
  • Mechanical Damage: Light
  • Tire Wear / Fuel Consumption: On [be aware of cold tires at start or first lap out of pits]
  • Pit Stops: Allowed and as often as you need to but not required. When exiting the pit lane, remember to stay within pit lane exit boundaries and yield to approaching drivers. If you choose to go without a pitstop (or with fewer) be prepared for the significant speed difference of approaching drivers (see passing/blocking below).

Regulation Settings

• Car Restriction: Select From Standard Garage. Car, and Tuning details listed above.
  • Performance Points: See details
  • Power: See details
  • Weight: See details
  • Tire Restrictions: Racing Hard
  • Skid Recovery Force Aid: Off
  • TCS | Driving Line | ASM |: Optional

Standard Clean OLR Rules Apply:

• Unless otherwise specific all rules from the original WRS event apply.
  • Please read, and familiarize yourself with the track boundary guidelines specified in the original WRS event.
  • You are expected to drive clean at all times as if you are racing in the WRS. All participants are required to follow the GTPlanet Online Racing Rules & Guidelines.
  • 3D3 Race Stewards (who are taking part in race, but will review the replay) reserve the right to boot or invalidate the result of any driver from the Race Room for driving offensively. If you ignore any warnings from the stewards and are booted from the race room, you will not be allowed to participate in future 3D3 events.
  • 2 wheels on (or vertically in line with) the track at all times
  • Rumble/ripple strips are part of the track
  • Runoff areas are not part of the track
  • Limit your contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible
  • No hybrids
  • No cheating of any kind
  • Nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules
  • Passing and Blocking: Aggressive blocking is not permitted, but the driver in front has the right to choose his/her line and braking point and drivers behind should respect that line. Be especially careful when you are on older tires than the competition as the speed difference may be significant. These events are "for fun" so just play nice and take a conservative rather than an aggressive approach when possible.

If for some reason you are unable to finish the race and need to stop:
  • Pull the car over off the track next to a wall and as far from the driving line as possible
  • Press the E-Brake
  • Then press Start
  • This will ghost your car and it won't allow it to interfere with the other drivers.

Overall winner and top driver from each division will be sent a prize (prize will be announced at race time).

Good Luck,

3D3 Racing
:
GTP_WRP001
GTP_Hydro
GTP_Gravitron​

DriverRegistration.jpg

1. GTP_WRP001 Audi Division 3
  2. GTP_Hydro BMW Division 3
  3. GTP_Gravitron Audi Division 3
  4. GTP_MilleRSVR BMW Division 4
  5. GTP_LeftyWright BMW Division 3
  6. GTP_Wafflepants BMW Division TBD (Qualifier Submitted 👍)
  7. GTP_CSL Audi Division 1

RaceResults.jpg

3D3_20110914_Event2_Results-1.jpg

RaceHighlights.jpg

Last edited:
GTP_MilleRSVR, "Decisions, Decisions Online"

Awesome choice guys, count me in.👍

I'll have to work on sector 1 though, never did get it right in the WRS event.

Video Highlights from Event #1:

Last edited:
GTP_MilleRSVR, "Decisions, Decisions Online"

Awesome choice guys, count me in.👍

I'll have to work on sector 1 though, never did get it right in the WRS event.

You're In 👍
It's a tricky track, for sure ;)

Just watched the replay video, very cool.👍

Lefty and T13R had a great battle going there for quite a few laps. And then the battle for the win the last few laps was awesome too.

Great editing job on the video, well done.

Video Highlights from Event #1:

Amazing video Tim :D
Really well done 👍

I can't tell you how much my heart sank on the last lap when you took turn 2 wide, into the dirt, and recovered still in front :( I was crushed :lol:

"The battle for 4th never ends..." Funny because it was true ;)

September 21 event posted!

What a host! Setting up the event, AND editing the video, amazing! 👍
I was grinning at various points too, thanks for the "What a move, Gravitron!".
Great commentary and concentration on the high points. :cheers:

Will have to spread that editing duty around (if I can get some capture gear), it must take some time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back