3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
With Lucas catching up to me in that last lap, I really had to overtake you ASAP Lefty, knowing you were on worse tyres than me.
Sorry if I was too agressive on that.

Had a good race again guys! 👍

You did fine Speedy :lol: my tires were junk there at the end. The pass you and Grav made on me as I was tank slapping up the hill is worth a clip in the replay reel. Youz guyz split me like like a bananna as we hit the jump. That race was so much fun :)

My upload speed has gone from .45mbps to .12mbps today, no idea why.:mad:
Verizon will be getting a phone call in the morning.👎

That's why I lagged in both races but didn't see any lag, my upload speed is perfectly fine, at 1.2mbps
The disconnect was just my internet shutting off completely, I had to reset the modem to do anything at all.

I was running such a perfect race it's just unbelievable.

👍 You were running well. I stuck with you for 3-4 laps and actually thought about attempting a pass a few times, but being in your dirty air was killing my tires and you always got a better launch off the last corner.

You got away from me on lap 4 and then you started glitching really bad. A few times you went off track in a cloud of smoke and dust and I thought "I got him" and the next moment you were back in the racing line again 20 car lengths in front of me. I'm sure it's all on my version of the replay.

^ Sucks. You should've won by like 30 seconds.

In any case congratz on a win in your first 3D3 Race. I thought I was going to catch you up until the 2nd half of the final lap. The race played out eerily like the EU race for me with the same exact ending: 2nd place by 1.5 secs and closing down the stretch.

Here are the quali results.
CapeFearQualifying_NA.png

Between people not understanding what they were supposed to do and the sheer number of drivers qualification was too long. I'm not sure we'll attempt this quali method again with a large field. It was really fun for the EU race though with only 6 drivers. Now that we've done it once maybe we can be more efficient about it next time and get each group on/off track in 5 minutes. Maybe on a large track groups of 4-5 drivers would be better.

Race results will be up tomorrow (I'm hoping Marc can put them together because I've got a deadline at work and I'm still working now 👎)

Nice race, guys. 👍 Thanks, as always, Marc & Tim for running that amazing quali session, and hosting. It may have taken a while, but I thought it was worth it.

Thanks Kevin for the idea for the combo. 👍

And just wanted to say, I can see Al improving each week. 👍 In WRS and in our races...in the early laps when I was trying to regain some positions, I was having a real hard time catching up to Al, and I put myself even farther back when I pushed too hard on one corner. :cheers:

Race results will be up tomorrow (I'm hoping Marc can put them together because I've got a deadline at work and I'm still working now 👎)

Just saw this Tim.
No problem, I'll get it in the morning 👍

👍 You were running well. I stuck with you for 3-4 laps and actually thought about attempting a pass a few times, but being in your dirty air was killing my tires and you always got a better launch off the last corner.

You got away from me on lap 4 and then you started glitching really bad. A few times you went off track in a cloud of smoke and dust and I thought "I got him" and the next moment you were back in the racing line again 20 car lengths in front of me. I'm sure it's all on my version of the replay.

In any case congratz on a win in your first 3D3 Race. I thought I was going to catch you up until the 2nd half of the final lap. The race played out eerily like the EU race for me with the same exact ending: 2nd place by 1.5 secs and closing down the stretch.

Here are the quali results.
CapeFearQualifying_NA.png

Between people not understanding what they were supposed to do and the sheer number of drivers qualification was too long. I'm not sure we'll attempt this quali method again with a large field. It was really fun for the EU race though with only 6 drivers. Now that we've done it once maybe we can be more efficient about it next time and get each group on/off track in 5 minutes. Maybe on a large track groups of 4-5 drivers would be better.

Yeah, I'm mainly disappointed to not be able to see my exact finishing time, I was pretty much running that fabled "perfect race" until the internet died.

I'll definitely be waiting for the replays to compare my total time at the DC vs my total time of race 1 to guesstimate my overall finishing time.:)

As for quali, we could have easily had half the field at a time run, 6/6 I believe, especially with a really long lap like these were, I waited not knowing if anyone had driven, trying to make sure I wouldn't run up somebody in front of me's arse.

Just FYI, when I passed you right before your pit, I only did so because I had to go for the side-by-side over the jump, almost took both of us out, catching the horrid inside strip myself.:scared: So sorry if I slowed you to much there, it was either wait the whole way around till you pit or right then and there, I did my best to give you ample room though.
Oh, and the lap before I caught you so quick because I was busy like a bee churning up a 20.xxx lap. :D

Yeah, I'm mainly disappointed to not be able to see my exact finishing time, I was pretty much running that fabled "perfect race" until the internet died.

I'll definitely be waiting for the replays to compare my total time at the DC vs my total time of race 1 to guesstimate my overall finishing time.:)

As for quali, we could have easily had half the field at a time run, 6/6 I believe, especially with a really long lap like these were, I waited not knowing if anyone had driven, trying to make sure I wouldn't run up somebody in front of me's arse.

Just FYI, when I passed you right before your pit, I only did so because I had to go for the side-by-side over the jump, almost took both of us out, catching the horrid inside strip myself.:scared: So sorry if I slowed you to much there, it was either wait the whole way around till you pit or right then and there, I did my best to give you ample room though.
Oh, and the lap before I caught you so quick because I was busy like a bee churning up a 20.xxx lap. :D

You didn't slow me down at all with that pass... my tires did. 👍

It was fun keeping up with you for a few laps and even thinking about making a pass for the first two, but reality set in soon enough.

I remember hitting a low 2'22 at one point and losing a second to you. :boggled:

You didn't slow me down at all with that pass... my tires did. 👍

It was fun keeping up with you for a few laps and even thinking about making a pass for the first two, but reality set in soon enough.

I remember hitting a low 2'22 at one point and losing a second to you. :boggled:
I keep telling you to try my 1 stoppers Tim, you listened last week and won, remember?

And this week I really didn't think it was possible at first, but in the second race I was running faster and wearing the tires less then the first race.
Was going to be perfect, I'm tellin' ya man. (shakes head)

I keep telling you to try my 1 stoppers Tim, you listened last week and won, remember?

And this week I really didn't think it was possible at first, but in the second race I was running faster and wearing the tires less then the first race.
Was going to be perfect, I'm tellin' ya man. (shakes head)

I wasn't going to beat you running the same strategy. That I knew for sure after 6 laps. My only shot at the win was to do whatever you didn't. Had I known you were going to DC...

You're right a one stopper was faster. The problem on this track with 2 pit stops is you lose time getting caught behind all the guys who are on a 1 stop strategy, thus lose the advantage of the tires for several laps.

It does get rather tiring when 1 stop always seems to be the trump. Maybe the pit crews just have to be faster.

Looks like you guys had fun. 👍

Any specifics about the next race (NASCAR)? Looks like you guys didn't like the Kart thing for week 42.

Yeah, I was going to register for the karting event and saw it's NASCAR. Was hoping got a karting setup similar to the Tsukuba event. Oh well. I didn't run that WRS combo but may try to still run next Wednesday. I'll update status tomorrow.

Masi_23
Looks like you guys had fun. 👍

Any specifics about the next race (NASCAR)? Looks like you guys didn't like the Kart thing for week 42.

The races this week were one of my favorites yet. :tip:

Next week NASCAR at Road Course Indy with RM tires from the WRS archives... week 11. Full event post will be up tomorrow.

The cars drive like boats with standard tune so definitely will allow tuning. Also we may change tire type based on testing.

Would have loved supra man but we need a break from super gt cars.

Last edited:
Nice race, guys. 👍 Thanks, as always, Marc & Tim for running that amazing quali session, and hosting. It may have taken a while, but I thought it was worth it.

Thanks Kevin for the idea for the combo. 👍

And just wanted to say, I can see Al improving each week. 👍 In WRS and in our races...in the early laps when I was trying to regain some positions, I was having a real hard time catching up to Al, and I put myself even farther back when I pushed too hard on one corner. :cheers:

I agree, the qualifying was fun! I was very nervous! Larger groups would help to make it go faster.

Thanks so much for the compliment. Chasing you guys week after week inspires me to practice! Thanks again to Speedy for sponsoring me! I appreciate all the work you guys put into this racing series! Also a big thank you to my wife who indulges me once a week and allows me to turn the living room into my man cave!

Al

I agree, the qualifying was fun! I was very nervous! Larger groups would help to make it go faster.

Thanks so much for the compliment. Chasing you guys week after week inspires me to practice! Thanks again to Speedy for sponsoring me! I appreciate all the work you guys put into this racing series! Also a big thank you to my wife who indulges me once a week and allows me to turn the living room into my man cave!

Al

I have to agree that you've made great strides.

I could not get past you without risking my tire strategy or a crash. I was fortunate that my applied pressure resulted in a mistake. Really, that was the tactic I used on all the guys who passed me after that lap 1 crash, the first exception being Gooners. He's a tough guy to pass, and I hope he's OK with how things went when I got by.

Great race from everyone, without that crash, I might have had a chance at cats_pajamas. But there's no way I would have hung in with the podium guys. :crazy:

...I'll definitely be waiting for the replays to compare my total time at the DC vs my total time of race 1 to guesstimate my overall finishing time.:)

Dom, I can post the NTSC replay for you to download if you want. Let me know. I upload all the 3D3 replays to dropbox anyway and I can just make this one public and send you a link.

EDIT: And in my copy you'll see your Jedi tricks where you can go from against the wall backwards to the racing line at light speed.

Dom, I can post the NTSC replay for you to download if you want. Let me know. I upload all the 3D3 replays to dropbox anyway and I can just make this one public and send you a link.

EDIT: And in my copy you'll see your Jedi tricks where you can go from against the wall backwards to the racing line at light speed.
Do you guys still makes those sped-up live timing monitor replays? One of those would do fine if you do.👍
Of course if not, the replay would work to, thanks either way.:)

I'm in for the NA NASCAR race. Any chance we can use the 2011 models rather than 2010?

I still think that the WRS times should be used to grid the races and it also motivates people to run the weekly series. It sure would be less complicated and anyone who didn't post a time would go to the rear in the order of there entry time stamp.

It's all about run the combo and get a better starting spot, IMO :dunce:

Had lots of fun. Not much traffic in my run. Just 2 laps in middle of race when I caught up to Speedy on his old tires.

Had fun watching the gap close up front on the last couple laps.

Qualifying was a bit long, but with a few tweeks it could be a lot of fun.

NASCAR sounds like fun for next race. Not doing the kart race this week so I should able to spend some time practicing.

Good times, great hosts, who obviously put in some serious time prepping and planning. Good job.

I still think that the WRS times should be used to grid the races and it also motivates people to run the weekly series. It sure would be less complicated and anyone who didn't post a time would go to the rear in the order of there entry time stamp.

Entry time stamp?

Anyway, honestly I couldn't care less about starting/finishing position. The race yesterday was pretty boring, as people behind me on the grid decided to battle it out in the first few turns, and I quickly lost the front two since I couldn't afford to push harder to keep pace. So except for the last few laps where I had to nurse my tires to last through the end, but not too much to allow Tim to catch-up too quickly, I was basically on a Sunday drive at a leisurely pace. So starting behind those who did run WRS is no problem, since this will probably mean a fun race. I doubt it will prompt me to run regular WRS though.

Entry time stamp? Every post has a date and time stamp on it

starting behind those who did run WRS is no problem, since this will probably mean a fun race. I doubt it will prompt me to run regular WRS though.

I look at the 3D3 races as an extension of the weeklys so the times are a natural fit. Maybe your not motivated to look at the WRS the same way as the regulars do but if a better starting spot doesn't work for you then it is what it is I guess.

Let the picking begin!

Sorry this is up so late. Pick any NASCAR by posting in the thread, first come first served, no duplicates within a timezone grid!

We reserve the right to tweak or change details through this weekend. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------
New3D3logoFullsize-2.png

Presents...

NASCAR, WRS style Online

RoadCourse-Indy_1.jpg

An Online Race based on a GTP_WRS Offline Event
Disclaimer: This is *NOT* an official GTPlanet or WRS sanctioned event and members are not obligated to take part.

December 7, 2011

European Time Slot
3:00 PM Eastern / 12:00 PM Pacific
img.php

North American Time Slot
10:00 PM Eastern / 7:00 PM Pacific
img.php

Eligibility for this 3D3 event will include GTP_Registered members plus referred drivers. A registry member can make a referral for this event by simply including other drivers PSN IDs with their own registration request in this thread. To guarantee eligibility for all 3D3 events run the GTP_Registry qualifier and join the registry now!

Registration
  1. Reply to this thread and include in the text of the message your GTP_ PSN ID and your preferred timeslot. To sign up (refer) a driver not on the GTP_Registry, a registered driver should include the PSN ID of the non registered driver(s) in their post.
  2. Send a PSN friend request to GTP_3D3Racing with subject line "3D3 Racing" if you haven't already done so. Any referred driver(s) will also need to submit a friend request.
There is a 16 car/driver limit for this event and slots are awarded on the grid using a first come first serve basis. Reference the registered drivers list below for availability. This is a stand alone race and points are not tallied for a series. Future races hosted by 3D3 racing may have different driver limits and will require re-registration using the same first come first serve basis and participation in future events is optional.

If for some reason, after you register for the event, you are unable to attend the race please send a PM to one of the 3D3 racing stewards or post in the thread so we can update the registration list and make the spot available to another driver. This particular GTP_WRS event was held in Arcade Mode therefore the car used for the online race is from the "Recommended Garage" section. You cannot use and do not need this car in your personal garage. Tuning will not be a factor in this event except for "In Event Tuning" for ABS, Brake Balance, etc.

Lounge Settings

• Race Quality: High
  • Voice Chat Quality: Low

Course & Car Settings

• Track: Indy Road Course
  • Car: Any NASCAR, no duplicates within a timezone grid. Reply in the thread with your choice ASAP!

Link to WRS Results thread, where car choices were revealed

Chevrolet
    • [EU][NA] Impala #14 Tony Stewart NASCAR '10 Office Depot
    • [EU][NA] Impala #14 Tony Stewart NASCAR '11 Office Depot
    • [EU][NA] Impala #24 Jeff Gordon NASCAR '10 DuPont
    • [EU][NA] Impala #24 Jeff Gordon NASCAR '11 Drive to End Hunger
    • [EU][NA] Impala #42 Juan Pablo Montoya NASCAR '10 Target
    • [EU][NA] Impala #42 Juan Pablo Montoya NASCAR '11 Target
    • [EU][NA] Impala #48 Jimmie Johnson NASCAR '10 Lowes
    • [EU][NA] Impala #48 Jimmie Johnson NASCAR '11 Lowes
    • [EU][NA] Impala #88 Dale Earnhardt, Jr. NASCAR '10 Amp
    • [EU][NA] Impala #88 Dale Earnhardt, Jr. NASCAR '11 Amp
    Ford
    • [EU][NA] Fusion #43 AJ Allmendinger NASCAR '10 Best Buy
    • [EU][NA] Fusion #43 AJ Allmendinger NASCAR '11 Best Buy
    • [EU][NA] Fusion #99 Carl Edwards NASCAR '10 Aflac
    • [EU][NA] Fusion #99 Carl Edwards NASCAR '11 Aflac
    Toyota
    • [EU][NA] Camry #11 Denny Hamlin NASCAR '10 FedEx
    • [EU][NA] Camry #11 Denny Hamlin NASCAR '11 FedEx
    • [EU][NA] Camry #18 Kyle Busch NASCAR '10 M&M
    • [EU][NA] Camry #18 Kyle Busch NASCAR '11 M&M
    • [EU][NA] Camry #20 Joey Logano NASCAR '10 Home Depot
    • [EU][NA] Camry #20 Joey Logano NASCAR '10 Gamestop
    • [EU][NA] Camry #20 Joey Logano NASCAR '11 Home Depot
    • [EU][NA] Camry #83 Brian Vickers NASCAR '10 Red Bull
    • [EU][NA] Camry #83 Brian Vickers NASCAR '11 Red Bull
  • Tires: Racing Medium (R2's)
  • In Event Tuning Settings: Allowed
  • Example tunes:

Event Settings

• Game Mode: Normal Race
  • Laps: 35
  • Start Type: Grid Start
  • Grid Order: Single Stint Online 2-lap quali, 2 groups Link to procedure
  • Boost: No
  • Penalty: None
  • Automatic Race Start Cycle: Disabled
  • Race Finish Delay: Set to the Max 180 Seconds
  • Grip Reduction: Low
  • Mechanical Damage: Light
  • Tire Wear / Fuel Consumption: On
  • Pit Stops: Allowed and as often as you need to but not required. When exiting the pit lane, remember to stay within pit lane exit boundaries and yield to approaching drivers. If you choose to go without a pitstop (or with fewer) be prepared for the significant speed difference of approaching drivers (see passing/blocking below).

Regulation Settings

• Car Restriction: Any NASCAR
  • Performance Points: NA
  • Power: 892HP
  • Weight: NA
  • Tire Restrictions: Racing Medium (R2's)
  • Skid Recovery Force Aid: Off
  • TCS | Driving Line | ASM |: Optional

Standard Clean OLR Rules Apply:

• Unless otherwise specified, all rules from the original WRS event apply.
  • All Hard Surfaces are considered Track Surface. This includes tarmac, red and white rumbles, and concrete. You are expected to drive clean at all times as if you are racing in the WRS. All participants are required to follow the GTPlanet Online Racing Rules & Guidelines.
  • 3D3 Race Stewards (who are taking part in race, but will review the replay) reserve the right to boot or invalidate the result of any driver from the Race Room for driving offensively. If you ignore any warnings from the stewards and are booted from the race room, you will not be allowed to participate in future 3D3 events.
  • 2 wheels on (or vertically in line with) the track at all times
  • Rumble/ripple strips are part of the track
  • Runoff areas are not part of the track
  • Limit your contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible
  • No hybrids
  • No cheating of any kind
  • Nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules
  • Passing and Blocking: Aggressive blocking is not permitted, but the driver in front has the right to choose his/her line and braking point and drivers behind should respect that line. Be especially careful when you are on older tires than the competition as the speed difference may be significant. These events are "for fun" so just play nice and take a conservative rather than an aggressive approach when possible.

Good Luck,

3D3Signature.png

DriverRegistration.jpg

EU Race Slot (3:00 PM Eastern / 12:00 PM Pacific)

1. fi.gif
    GTP_MadMax86 ...
    badge_division_1.png
    Pekka ...... Camry #20 Joey Logano '10 Home Depot
  2. nl.gif
    GTP_w-g-e ......
    badge_division_1.png
    Wes ........ Impala #42 Juan Pablo Montoya '10 Target
  3. uk.gif
    GTP_Vagabond ...
    badge_division_1.png
    Chris ...... Camry #11 Denny Hamlin '10 FedEx
  4. ca.gif
    GTP_Hydro ......
    badge_division_2.png
    Marc ....... Impala #42 Juan Pablo Montoya '11 Target
  5. be.gif
    GTP_Speedy6543 .
    badge_division_2.png
    Christophe . Camry #18 Kyle Busch '11 M&M
  6. uk.gif
    GTP_Biffy ......
    badge_division_2.png
    Jordan ..... Camry #83 Brian Vickers '11 Red Bull
  7. ca.gif
    GTP_gooners17 ..
    badge_division_2.png
    Mohit ...... Fusion #99 Carl Edwards '11 Aflac
  8. nl.gif
    GTP_Sjaak ......
    badge_division_3.png
    ............ Camry #11 Denny Hamlin '11 FedEx

NA Race Slot (10:00 PM Eastern / 7:00 PM Pacific)

Group B
  1. us.gif
    GTP_CSL ........
    badge_division_1.png
    Dominic .... Impala #14 Tony Stewart '10 Office Depot
  2. ca.gif
    GTP_Hydro ......
    badge_division_2.png
    Marc ....... Impala #42 Juan Pablo Montoya '11 Target
  3. be.gif
    GTP_Speedy6543 .
    badge_division_2.png
    Christophe . Camry #18 Kyle Busch '11 M&M
  4. us.gif
    GTP_EDK ........
    badge_division_2.png
    Kevin ...... Fusion #43 AJ Allmendinger '10 Best Buy
  5. us.gif
    GTPcats_pajamas.
    badge_division_2.png
    Baron ...... Impala #48 Jimmie Johnson '10 Lowes
  6. ca.gif
    GTP_gooners17 ..
    badge_division_2.png
    Mohit ...... Fusion #99 Carl Edwards '11 Aflac
  7. us.gif
    GTP_dsgerbc.....
    badge_division_2.png
    Dan ........ Camry #20 Joey Logano '10 Home Depot
Group A
  1. us.gif
    GTP_Chuk .......
    badge_division_2.png
    Chuk ....... Impala #88 Dale Earnhardt, Jr. '11 Amp
  2. us.gif
    GTP_WRP001 .....
    badge_division_2.png
    Tim ........ Camry #83 Brian Vickers '10 Red Bull
  3. us.gif
    GTP_Gravitron ..
    badge_division_3.png
    Lucas ...... Impala #48 Jimmie Johnson '11 Lowes
  4. us.gif
    GTP_otxjto .....
    badge_division_4.png
    Joe ........ Impala #14 Tony Stewart '11 Office Depot
  5. ca.gif
    GTP_Allibubba99.
    badge_division_4.png
    Al ......... Camry #83 Brian Vickers '11 Red Bull
  6. us.gif
    GTP_RaceRyder...
    badge_division_4.png
    Dale ....... Impala #88 Dale Earnhardt, Jr. '10 Amp

RaceResults.jpg

EU

EUResults.png

NA

3D3_20111207_Event13_Results_NA.png

RaceHighlights.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cape Fear NA Race Results (Ver. 2.0):

NAResults3.png

Last edited:

Just my opinion... I have almost as much fun in quali as I do in the race. In fact the EU quali yesterday was 10 on a scale of 10. The NA quali was a little confused and dragged out, but the format has potential in my mind.

The online events would lose something for me if we eliminated quali all the time. The race is about being consistent, saving tires and not taking too many risks. Quali is about putting it together for a single lap under pressure. You can sort of say the same thing about the offline WRS laps, but you have a week and 200 laps to get it done. Online quali is somewhere in the middle.

I think we've tried to mix it up to please everyone so I don't see us changing our plan now and sticking to one format. Also note, that using an online live quali system also makes it easier on the stewards because we don't need a formation lap.

The easiest and quickest method so far is the single stint quali. To me the one with the most white knuckle potential is the quali system we used yesterday, but also the most responsibilities of everyone... if we can get everyone to study the procedures ahead of time and know what to do when we start and if anything is unclear just ask on the thread...

.. yesterday took way too long, imo.
The race yesterday was pretty boring...

Thanks for the feedback, it's nice to put in a *lot* of time planning an event and having someone say it was boring and took too long.

Next time if you want it to be exciting you should go for the 2 stop strategy and have to pass a portion of the field twice.

EU race - Impala #42 Juan Pablo Montoya NASCAR '10 Target

Is there a reason why there's no karting this week? :dopey:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back