TH8 RS Shifter Thread!

• Thread starter sandboxgod
  • 1,971 comments
superbike81
To me, sim racers who DON'T wear gloves are weird. I never go without my gloves.

Gloves reduce your feel. Besides I have working mans hands. Don't need gloves. Shoot I can grab very hot material with little pain. Tried the gloves just dulls the senses. With out g forces. I need all the other senses at max.

Edit: I do wear shoes though. Some light and thin sole Puma's. I've also had them on the belt sander changing the radius on the heel as well thinned out the soles more. LoL stock. Pffft nothing stays stock around here.

My question is why the glove? Hiding something? You paint your nails don't you. ;)

I am kidding around. Excellent mod. Cheap and effective!

Err...not my video and no, I don't wear gloves. I do have a pair of Simboots which I occasionally wear (more in winter I guess). Gloves might be good if it's cold though :)

Gloves reduce your feel. Besides I have working mans hands. Don't need gloves. Shoot I can grab very hot material with little pain. Tried the gloves just dulls the senses. With out g forces. I need all the other senses at max.

Edit: I do wear shoes though. Some light and thin sole Puma's. I've also had them on the belt sander changing the radius on the heel as well thinned out the soles more. LoL stock. Pffft nothing stays stock around here.

Maybe you have only used basic gloves before? I use actual SFI rated Sparco nomex gloves and they don't reduce feel by even a little bit. They also provide excellent grip and absorb any sweat in my 2-3hr endurance races.

Has anyone mounted a shift boot to the TH8RS? I'm curious how it would look and feel. How do you make it fit?
Can we just buy any shift boot at say Amazon and make it fit? How about the accordion ones made of rubber; can they be made to fit?

I'm trying to figure out a shift boot for my TH8RS in my cockpit right now. The difficulty I am running into is how to make it easy enough to access so I would still be able to switch between gated (4, 5, 6 speed using DSD plates) and sequential. Mine is a little different than most people because I have an actual center console from a car, so it's a little more work I think.

Do any of you guys experince a squeaking sound when you change from gear to gear (only on stiffer setting). Sounds like it needs lubricating. Is this right, or do I have a faulty TH8RS?

Do any of you guys experince a squeaking sound when you change from gear to gear (only on stiffer setting). Sounds like it needs lubricating. Is this right, or do I have a faulty TH8RS?

Yeah I have a slight squeaking noice. Barely audible though. The problem is where to spray the lubricant.

Very easy (& not break guarantee) 👍:
1) Remove Fixation System
2) Remove the 8 screws below the base
3) Add grease on this part
20111202_2100155.jpg

superbike81
I'm trying to figure out a shift boot for my TH8RS in my cockpit right now. The difficulty I am running into is how to make it easy enough to access so I would still be able to switch between gated (4, 5, 6 speed using DSD plates) and sequential. Mine is a little different than most people because I have an actual center console from a car, so it's a little more work I think.

Sparco makes a universal boot. It's made from leather and works very well.

How exactly do you know what the stiffest setting is? How far can you turn the screw? 360 degrees?

According to the Manual, a full turn (easy enough to figure out if you place a marker on the screwdriver) is enough to go from the lowest to the highest setting.

Ok guys. Tax return time. Looking at the TH8 again. Got new pedals so clutch is back operative.

Now I've been almost a year with out the shifter. I do miss it from the G27. However I don't think I'd use it very much these days. Most my racing is league racing and its best to use paddles for speed and consistency.

So with that. I can live with out it. However I do want it.

What I'm asking of you current users is opinions on it and if you would purchase it again having owned it.

Thanks!

OwensRacing
Ok guys. Tax return time. Looking at the TH8 again. Got new pedals so clutch is back operative.

Now I've been almost a year with out the shifter. I do miss it from the G27. However I don't think I'd use it very much these days. Most my racing is league racing and its best to use paddles for speed and consistency.

What I'm asking of you current users is opinions on it and if you would purchase it again having owned it.

Thanks!

I find it flawless. Just a new learning curve.

Thanks!
I'm not a big fan of this shifter (from a H pattern view) but yes I would cos for me the other possible alternative (TSW 6sp) incl. shipping is too expensive. I drive only for fun and H-pattern is much more fun than sequential shifter and much much more fun than paddle shift.

If you look at it as a 3-in-1 option; H-pattern, Sequential and Handbrake, it's very good value.

Does anyone have info on where to buy that special shaft to make the TH8 into a short shifter? I saw someone mention it, but now I can't find it, I think it was a boat part or something, but I can't remember for sure.

Does anyone have info on where to buy that special shaft to make the TH8 into a short shifter? I saw someone mention it, but now I can't find it, I think it was a boat part or something, but I can't remember for sure.
Err yeah...I posted that in the iRacing forum, if you have an iRacing account, here it is.

If not, here are the pics
swage_s.jpg

th8_rs_00.jpg

th8_rs_02.jpg

th8_rs_03.jpg

and you can see the shifter in action here.

I used an M6 swage but I think the actual size might be imperial slightly larger than M6. Not sure, but M6 works fine.

Also, in my case, the swage worked fine but it may be too skinny for a lot of after market knobs. Therefore, using something like an M6 threaded rod (cut to desired length eg with a hacksaw) and you can fatten it up, eg. by putting an M6 coupling on it. I think couplings are called standoffs in the US. Lock the coupling down with a couple of nuts. So you'd end up with a skinny M6 bottom and a fatter top. If you can't find a coupling, maybe a row of nuts might work like the picture below. Basically, just to make the diameter larger to fit snugly into one of the inserts that normally come with after market knobs and then tightened with the grub screws normally provided.

increase_rod_diameter.jpg

TH8 RS - MOMO Mod:

WildRun, is this how you did your 7th gear block off mod? This is how I interpreted what you did but I'm sure mine is of inferior workmanship. However, it works great.

7th gear block off
img_1330.jpg

Cut CD/DVD with scissors
img_1331.jpg

Cut to fit
img_1332.jpg

Screw it all back in and be as happy as larry ;-) Thanks WildRun
img_1329.jpg

WildRun, is this how you did your 7th gear block off mod? This is how I interpreted what you did but I'm sure mine is of inferior workmanship. However, it works great.

7th gear block off
img_1330.jpg

Cut CD/DVD with scissors
img_1331.jpg

Cut to fit
img_1332.jpg

Screw it all back in and be as happy as larry ;-) Thanks WildRun
img_1329.jpg

why doing this when you can buy 4+1, 5+1 and 6+1 shifter plates here ?:
http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/TH8-RS-Shfiter-Gate-Plates.html

why doing this when you can buy 4+1, 5+1 and 6+1 shifter plates here ?:
http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/TH8-RS-Shfiter-Gate-Plates.html

Similarly, why buy those plates when u can do this? It cost nothing and it feels good doing it yourself and I'm only interested in blocking off 7th gear.

Actually I do have those DSD plates ordered before I came across WildRun's brilliant mod. I have not received the DSD plates yet but personally, I prefer the look of the original aluminium plate than the plastic plates.

Similarly, why buy those plates when u can do this?

I prefer the look of the original aluminium plate than the plastic plates.

+1 , btw good mod with the Disc, and I really love longer gear shaft is that too weird?:nervous: I extend mine with a "pole" universal gear knob even for H-Patern. maybe I should drive an excavator sim

+1 , btw good mod with the Disc, and I really love longer gear shaft is that too weird?:nervous: I extend mine with a "pole" universal gear knob even for H-Patern. maybe I should drive an excavator sim
Haha...and I should get a big steering wheel when I drive this truck simulator. We do have different tastes though, you like your handbrake horizontal and I like mine upright, so much so I have made 3 of almost the same ones; each iteration I believe better than its predecessor albeit slightly. You can see it here.

Guys, sorry for going off topic.

I don't have a TH8RS yet...I'm waiting on my interfaceone adapter. I was wondering if I can rotate the base 180 degrees and calibrate it so reverse is in the upper left, next to 1st gear and neutral is still aligned with 3rd/4th. That's doable, right?

Haha...and I should get a big steering wheel when I drive this truck simulator. We do have different tastes though, you like your handbrake horizontal and I like mine upright, so much so I have made 3 of almost the same ones; each iteration I believe better than its predecessor albeit slightly. You can see it here.

Guys, sorry for going off topic.

love that handbrake. yeah i think I need another Th8Rs or I should just built one with microsiwtch style

I don't have a TH8RS yet...I'm waiting on my interfaceone adapter. I was wondering if I can rotate the base 180 degrees and calibrate it so reverse is in the upper left, next to 1st gear and neutral is still aligned with 3rd/4th. That's doable, right?

Yes on PC you can make any gear anything you want.

Back