Official GTPlanet Member of the Fortnight [Member of the Week]

Best interview to date. Awesome job. Congrats Tornado (or Toronado, whichever you prefer :lol:).

Congrats Toronado!

I also can't decide when I should change over and start calling you Tornado.

This week's inductee received quite the bit of attention and is no doubt apart of GTPlanet's own Simian Avatar Brigade, welcome axletramp to the GTPlanet Member of the Week madhouse!

1. First and foremost, you're officially the Member of the Week so what were your thoughts going into this and how does it feel to be recognized amidst the hundreds of thousands of other members here?

About time too! Hang on, it's taken you until page 27 to invite me? Me? I'm bloody insulted - shove your stupid questions!!!

Haha, tbh I'm quite surprised and honoured. There are many great folks here who contribute so much, so it's nice to be selected. Remember, whatever happens next is your fault...

2. What brought you to GTPlanet and what keeps you coming back?

Originally I was a member of the now extinct GTF (Gran Turismo Forum) back in the GT2 days and when that collapse, in 2002, I was one of the waifs and strays who washed up here and was warmly welcomed. GTP soon became more of a home than GTF and the rest is history. Following a personal tragedy I had a long break for a few years, but once things had flattened out I realised I missed this community and came back - I also came back to gaming which had taken a back seat as well. Can't stay away now... yeah, deal with it. ;)

3. There's a lot to do around the forums so I have to ask: what sub-forums/threads do you frequent most often and why?

I think most people know it's the Rumble Strip and Race Reports - mainly the endurance races as those are my challenge of choice. In the past I have contributed to the gaming areas, but I play much less now so tend to just talk nonsense with you guys. I think last year someone pointed out that I accounted for 10% of the posts in Premium Rambles - honestly, that's just embarrassing.

4. What was it that sparked your interest in Gran Turismo?

I started a bit late tbh. I came in at GT2 and then only went back to complete GT1 later. I had always been a die-hard Sega fan in the Saturn vs PS1 days, so it was Sega Rally and Daytona USA all the way for me. Then, out of nowhere, a moment of divine (some could say) intervention happened - I won a PS1 on a radio phone-in show! I instantly went out and bought GT1 (plus Colin McRae and TOCA if I'm honest) and my life changed forever. You could say I came over to the dark side and, just like Anakin, couldn't get enough!

5. How did you come up with the name "axletramp"?

There's a really exciting and unbelievable story behind this.

OK, perhaps not, I was just trying to sound interesting and popular. Rather uninterestingly it was just a name I came up with back in the 90s when I first started to use forums because thought it sounded cool and hip and down wid da kids. Did it work?

6. Controversial question time: Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport or both?

Gran Turismo all the way. Reason? I don't have an Xbox 360 and not planning on getting one. Look, I don't need two games I never get time to play. I satisfy myself by believing Forza is like a high res Ridge Racer... and no one needs that.

7. Because it's finally occurred to me that the question above doesn't allow enough freedom, do you play any other racing games that you perhaps enjoy more than GT or FM?

For the same reason above, I barely get time for GT these days due to work and family so unfortunately not.

8. Can you blend?

In Photoshop or the kitchen... or 3D animations in Blender? Yes to all three. :D Or is this some kind of new dance you young'uns are doing these days, like Gangbang style!

9. Mechanical or Membrane keyboard?

Membrane all the way. The build up of food and dead skin in the older types starts to smell and attract women and vermin.

10. What do you think of people that blend for a living?

They should have worked harder at school.

11. If you could live in any video game which game would it be and why?

The pole dancing bar in Duke Nukem springs to mind...

12. If you could create your own motorsport series what would it entail?

Wet 'n Wild: Lancia Beta Edition. Players race against each other across the major rain drenched cities of the world starting in 1981 with the winner being the player who manages to actually own a complete car by 1983. Extra points for not having any welding done. Losers get a consolation dustpan and brush to clear theirs up.

13. Tell us something interesting about your hometown.

Well, I was born in Tonbridge, Kent in the UK which is about as copy-and-paste a provincial British town can be (including the binge drinking and accepted weekend domestic violence), so I won't bore you with that one.

I moved to Jersey in the sunny Channel Islands (off the coast of France and which New Jersey is named after - for the colonials amongst you) 10 years ago for work and much lower taxes. I live in it's capital, St Helier, which is mildly interest, although I do have two Nazi bunkers under my house as the Channel Islands were occupied during the war. If that's not interesting enough how about the fact that our island wide speed limit is 40mph and the symbol of our island is a ****ing toad.

14. Let's say GTPlanet was another persons brainchild, could you see the community being as prominent?

Jordan has achieved something amazing here. I'm a member of a couple of other forums, but this is not only larger but has far more depth than any of them. I'm not sure he could have done any better tbh. Perhaps some competitions with hampers and holidays as prizes would be nice. Perhaps an annual BBQ at his place... or Solid Lifters, he loves a BBQ that one! :D

15. Do you have any hobbies we should be made aware of?

My hobbies appear to be mild sarcasm and beer. Usually the other way round though.

16. Are you driving anything special at the moment?

I've had my fair share of decent cars in my pre-kids days (Integrale Evo, CTR, etc). Now I have a five year old Civic ES (which I hardly ever use) and a new Chrysler Grand Voyager (Town & Country for those across the pond) I have named 'HMS Turner' due to it's gigantic turning circle and unwillingness to stop. Does have 3 touch screens and 7.1 surround sound though. 👍 I do the odd track day but I use friend's cars. I'm waiting to get a circuit focused car myself but hate using credit so I'm waiting for an imminent windfall to get an Elise or even better, an Europa SE - watch this space.

17. What's your favourite video game, currently?

There can be only one... well, until GT6 comes out, I suppose.

18. What songs have been on repeat for the past few days?

This week I have mostly been listening to Underworld and Natural Self.

19. Why did you choose that avatar, and why is it a monkey?

I have been through a few avatars over the years, but I'll agree they do tend to be simian based. I even attempted an avatar soap opera for a while, with mixed results. My current one is Steve the Monkey from Cloudy with the Chance of Meatballs 1 & 2, because he is the greatest monkey in the history of cinema. Fact.

20. Games, how do you like them?

a) Pre-Order, I want them on day one.
b) Sealed at first price drop.
c) Used.

or...

d) New, shiny and presented on trays by semi-naked Japanese twins with dubious morals. :dopey:

21. With the PS4 coming in the holiday season this year, is it the right time to consider moving up to the next generation?

Yup. Gimme new tech and gimme it now! I'm the Prince of the Pre-Order.

22. Manual or automatic?

Both. I'm not a huge fan of the manual stick on my DFGT but understand that my times are faster over sprint races. If I'm running endurances I do tend to revert to an auto box as it's as much strategy as it is out-and-out pace.

23. Desert island disks - what 3 albums would you take to a desert island?

Only 3? Wow, that's tough. Off the top of my head:

M83 - Saturdays = Youth
Sigur Ros - ()
Underworld - Second Toughest in the Infants

This could all change tomorrow.

24. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being likely to go to the nut house, how crazy would you rate yourself?

My clinical psychologist and carer says I'm an 8 and should be restrained quite often, but Barnaby Wanksock my invisble yet dashingly attractive Anglo-Tibetan mystic guide says I'm a reasonably safe 2. I like Barnaby.

25. Who is your favorite race driver and why?

'Il Lione' Nigel Mansell. I remember seeing him race when I was a teenager and there was something very exciting and heroic about his style. He never gave up and could make a charge through the field better than anyone else I've seen before or since. Also, I used to live opposite him up until 2 years ago. Not a stalker. :scared:

26. Where and when was your very first post here and how does it differ from your posting style used today?

I think it might have been in the ex-GTF thread announcing my arrival. My posting hasn't changed that much (which is worrying) but you could get away with far more in the early days - it was a bit of a shock how things had tightened up when I came back from my hiatus. Not for the worse, just different.

27. How many of your controllers have died because of heavy physical abuse whilst playing a PS3 game?

One... and a flat screen TV in the same incident. You work it out. ;) Oh, it could be two but I don't think you're counting 'beer' as 'heavy physical abuse'... or are you?

28. Have you ever accessed the website during an unusual time and/or place?

I once checked the football scores on a trans-Atlantic flight for a laugh and managed to get a signal. Well, I was impressed anyway.

29. What's the longest you've gone without logging onto GTPlanet since joining: Years, months, weeks, days, hours?

6 years... starting tomorrow. Only joking...

probably tonight.

30. Who (in your own opinion) is the most inspiring person / people here on GTPlanet?

That's a toughie so I'll chose three if I can as it wouldn't be fair. Danny because I love the way he thinks, Dion because he's just a wonderful guy who's had to deal with a lot and Shem for being so strong and overcoming real issues, something I've never truly got a handle on. Oh, and anyone who's managed to get banned and go down fighting. Most entertaining.

31. Is your body ready?

Ready? Pah! I've spent many years in the frozen arctic, merciless desert, bug infested rain forest... and Tunbridge Wells... honing my body into a finely tuned killing machine and beer filtration system.

I say 'years'... it might have been months, but you should still fear me.

I say 'months'... it was probably a couple of morning jogs to get rid of a hang over, but you get my drift.

I say 'jogs'...

32. Now it's time for the "Daniel Special": If you could cross a hippo with any other animal - what will the animal be, what will it be called, and why? (Bonus points for creativity!
And it can't be another hippo because that's incest)

A Blue Whale, just to witness the birth. Anyway, isn't it only incest if the hippo has sex with your sister?

33. What's the funniest thing you can remember from all of your time being a member here?

Too many. The late night AUP teasing rambles with Shem in his *cough* old days and getting slapped on the wrist by the mods. Only mildly, of course, no infractions for me. :sly:

34. Have you ever participated in any of the racing series' found here?

None I'm afraid. Just never have the time to commit to them.

35. Have you ever considered developing your own racing series, and if you have where can we find it?

Same answer as above. Anyway, there are people here far better qualified than me who'd do a much better job. :lol:

36. Anything else you'd like to say?

Aim for the head.

Goodnight, you've all been wonderful. So much better than last weeks audience. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Good lord, just goes to prove that anyone can become Member Of The Week.

Nice interview Steve. 👍

Back