Andalucía - New Course Maker + Free Roam?

I guess from what has been said so far about the new course creator (it being fundamentally different, etc.), there's two different ways they could have implemented it:

1. They have modelled an area of landscape (however large it is), and tracks can be laid all over it. This would be very similar though to what exists in GT5, except maybe the randomness could have been taken out. In that case, they would have to find some way to connect those invented roads e.g. with the fixed ones through the city of Ronda.
  2. They modelled a whole area including some of the real world roads, and you're free to combine them any which way you want. The number of possible tracks would be much more limited, of course. This would also be great to use, if a whole part of a city is modelled and you could just lay a track in any way you want.

Can't wait to hear what it's going to be like though, come TGS.

So how do you drive from the bridge at the bottom "new bridge" to the one ot top "old bridge" ? .. unless theres a tunnel under some of the buildings in the mid-left.

Check Google maps, it's pretty obvious how it's possible. :)
Although it's not likely to be high speed, and it might be more feasible on a scooter or something! :dopey:;)

Besides, that bridge was part of the original link between both sides of the cleft (something about royalty), they don't call the big'un "new bridge" for nothing.
If you look at the water mass/dam over the hills (posted by CoolColJ), it looks quite large in comparison to the real overhead map image posted by Griffith500. So I think the area 'as far as the eye can see' in the game is 100x100 kms, and not the usable part. Because if you could use the 100x100 kms area it means that extra space is needed for the background. You can't have blank invisible walls. Think of the surrounding area of the X track.

Good point; saddening that they would do that, though; sure the background scenery extends for that much (Route X is a great example; I was thinking it was probably a test for this stuff yesterday), but they should be quoting the usable area only. In ARMA 2, for instance, the "wilderness" around Chernarus extends infinitely (in theory), but there's bugger all to see or do there - it's really not part of the game's (designed) area. The same is true of the Elder Scrolls games, too.
As for the roads on top, your right, they look more defined and large. But no one mentioned how they were inter-connected. So would we have the ability to inter-connect the roads ? .. and have tunnels going under some, and bridges going over others ? .. If only the 1st part was true, then it's as free-roam as you can get with a cherry on top (customization).

I doubt they would just randomly create structures out of nowhere just to satisfy the desire to connect this road to that one all the way over there. I think the interconnection will be fixed. It'd be entertaining if they did allow such modification, though.

Something that occurred to me (and really ought to have sooner) is that they're using photographs for the "distant" stuff; surely, then, those distant roads would be at the same detail level as the rest of the background, if that's all they were? The fact that they drew polygons for the roads over the background should be telling (they didn't for Citta di Aria, for instance) - and that "behaviour" seems to extend a good 2 miles (going by features in the shots and the maps; notably the partially paved road that loops around the west of the city at about 1 km out - that's the one running from extreme left, above the building line, to the right in the screen above). So we're probably looking at something within the green circle, in terms of driveable area.

I guess from what has been said so far about the new course creator (it being fundamentally different, etc.), there's two different ways they could have implemented it:

1. They have modelled an area of landscape (however large it is), and tracks can be laid all over it. This would be very similar though to what exists in GT5, except maybe the randomness could have been taken out. In that case, they would have to find some way to connect those invented roads e.g. with the fixed ones through the city of Ronda.
  2. They modelled a whole area including some of the real world roads, and you're free to combine them any which way you want. The number of possible tracks would be much more limited, of course. This would also be great to use, if a whole part of a city is modelled and you could just lay a track in any way you want.

Can't wait to hear what it's going to be like though, come TGS.

It's likely both; Kaz said that the old creator (style) isn't going anywhere, but the algorithm has been revamped. This means we'll get trad. (lol) course generator tracks over a much larger area, probably on a generated terrain with whatever new control that brings, and we'll get pre-defined areas (Ronda first, others via DLC) with roads already on in which to choose a course (or, hopefully, just amble about in) as a separate system. Can't wait to try it for myself!

It's interesting how wrong I seem to have been regarding the Premium car count in GT6 (so far; I could still be close with 600); I guess all those modelers etc. were doing something else instead...

if that new course maker is as good as it seems it will be 1 location is good enough at release. more locations via DLC would be perfect though :)

So any idea how the course make works?? Is it generated routes like gt5 or wil you be able to form a track from the network of roads in the town??

I'm really curious about that as well. At some point I think they said that you can use the streets in the town to make a track, but I would like to see that "in action" before I believe it.

So any idea how the course make works?? Is it generated routes like gt5 or wil you be able to form a track from the network of roads in the town??

Wanting to know that as well... Wondering if they are going to give us the ability to have junctions.

it should be not only the town. at 10km x 10km you definitely will be able to use the roads arround too.

It's interesting how wrong I seem to have been regarding the Premium car count in GT6 (so far; I could still be close with 600); I guess all those modelers etc. were doing something else instead...

Ya they were doing photo locations lmao and couldn't hire anymore modelers 'cause the money was spent elsewhere (music) lmao .. This isn't a photography class .. Just give us cars and tracks .. Photos can be taken on the tracks people.

lGNAl
Ya they were doing photo locations lmao and couldn't hire anymore modelers 'cause the money was spent elsewhere (music) lmao .. This isn't a photography class .. Just give us cars and tracks .. Photos can be taken on the tracks people.

Just because you don't like Photomode doesn't mean others don't.

And check the thread about PD paying for music... that should explain your fears.

Question: wasn't the original purpose of the course generator supposed to continually generate a track for rally? If so, 100 square km wouldn't be unrealistic.

Of course, the best part about having a Spanish town to make a track is that people will be able to re-create Circuito De Francis Drake (including the "Nobody Expects the Spanish Speedhump) as featured in TG.

Of course, the best part about having a Spanish town to make a track is that people will be able to re-create Circuito De Francis Drake (including the "Nobody Expects the Spanish Speedhump) as featured in TG.

Awww_yeah.jpg

So, I remember watching a Let's Play on Fuel, where RoosterTeeth went from corner-corner of Fuel's map - the largest map in a console game. It's 5560 square miles, and that was 4 years ago... And there were bigger PC maps in the '90s... 10x10 actually DOES seem small, but 100x100 seems big...

It probably wont be a perfect square...

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ap...ize-comparison-of-game-world-maps-fasc/49712/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIokytk9sHs

? :lol:

Skipping to twenty minutes in, then back to four minutes in, I now feel the need to watch the whole thing.

So, I remember watching a Let's Play on Fuel, where RoosterTeeth went from corner-corner of Fuel's map - the largest map in a console game. It's 5560 square miles, and that was 4 years ago... And there were bigger PC maps in the '90s... 10x10 actually DOES seem small, but 100x100 seems big...

It probably wont be a perfect square...

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ap...ize-comparison-of-game-world-maps-fasc/49712/

The thing about Fuel is, as noted in that link of yours, there's nothing really in that world - at least, in terms of density of "interesting things" it's lacking. This is the problem; for a game where these environments are supposed to be only a part of the experience, you can't flesh out all that area with enough detail to make it interesting - although part of the allure of Fuel is just wandering around in such a vast area.

100 x 100 km is about 4000 square miles, for one area out of, what, 20 or so supposed to be in GT6?

Daggerfall (62 000 mi²), of course, was all procedurally generated - that adds a taint of sameness to it once you get a feel for how the generation works (but there was enough variation in the gear, races, environments etc. that it took a while). Oblivion was often criticised for being partially procedural (terrain and "dressing" e.g. foliage, ruins etc. only), vs. Morrowind's (and Skyrim's, supposedly) entirely engineered environment, in that it felt a bit bland and random (although Morrowind was obviously "manufactured" at times.)

For a driving game, it's all about the roads. The roads, typically, are shaped by the terrain (depending on the kind of road). Get a decent terrain generator working and you're probably less than halfway there. Getting a road to go over that terrain in interesting (and realistic, I'd say) ways is going to be very difficult. Then convincingly populating the area around those roads with props etc. without destroying performance is another massive challenge.

Okay.

So on one hand we've got "tens".

On the other hand we've got "ten thousand".

Chances are that the margin of error here is OVER 9000!!! :scared:

For a driving game, it's all about the roads. The roads, typically, are shaped by the terrain (depending on the kind of road). Get a decent terrain generator working and you're probably less than halfway there. Getting a road to go over that terrain in interesting (and realistic, I'd say) ways is going to be very difficult. Then convincingly populating the area around those roads with props etc. without destroying performance is another massive challenge.

Indeed, it's all about making the map come to life. I once made a game set in the solar system, and that map was huge! (Would definitely dwarf all of these maps)
But it was also really really boring because even though I spiced up the spaceship so that it could travel by the speed of light, it still took hours to get from one side of the solar system to the other...

Last edited:
Okay.

So on one hand we've got "tens".

On the other hand we've got "ten thousand".

Chances are that the margin of error here is OVER 9000!!! :scared:

Where does come from the information saying 100 square km ? "Several tens of square km" seems to mean a number between 30 and 40 square kilometers in my mind, maybe a little less. It will probably depend to the level of development evolution.

(my first post in the best thread of all the forum :sly: )

How big is the Nurb? Even that track isn't fully rendered at once. If you do a B-Spec race and have one car on one side of the track and switch to a car on the other side, you'll have to wait for it to render. Using this method, the original size might be workable.

Already posted in another thread, but I thought it was relevant here. Skip to 8:50.

100x100km or even 50x50km is just so incredibly vast... My head nearly exploded when I heard about this. Thank you Andreas. :dopey: 👍

Isn't Andreas just quoting what was said in the presentation, which we've seen before?
Couldn't watch the video so far, but that's the impression I got.

Isn't Andreas just quoting what was said in the presentation, which we've seen before?
Couldn't watch the video so far, but that's the impression I got.

No, he went back the next day and asked Kaz directly himself - see later in the video - and Kaz says it's really 100x100, and it's 1 map at 100x100, but they are not sure if it will remain at that, maybe more like 50x50

Think Hawaii size....

\With an area that large we can realistically look at the roads in the surrounding areas now :)

Motorcycle journey along the Ronda road in Spain, as recommended by Damon Hill.

Rondo itself

Road%20in%20Malaga-1141023

RM-Grove-Olive-Trees-Plantation-Road-Winding-ADL1250.jpg

One of the big sweeper/intersections at the base of Ronda, with 2 dirt roads on the right - if GT6 can capture the look/feel it's gonna be fun - cap'ed from Google Maps. A bit further up the road is a even tighter sweeper cut deep into a "cliffside" :drool:
dpFLXjQ.jpg

Last edited:
Now you see,if PD release a video showcasing such a brilliant feature the hype will be through the roof.

Back