The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
They now use the same type of belts as used in the CSR Elite and CSW. Thats what that means.

I don't know whether to be happy or sad about that. Now I want it. And I don't want upgrade this soon again. LOL

What I find odd is that they keep mentioning Xbox one exclusively. If they don't at least support PC, that's going to be ridiculous. Although it's going to be ridiculous if they don't have a general model that supports both next gen consoles and PC. I fear Sony and MS are both going hardcore with licensing things next gen. So I don't really expect it.

Apropos of nothing, i was just perusing some other forums and ran across the info for Thrustmaster's apparently-stillborn load cell mod again. I had seen this previously, and I have an obvious professional interest in this "official" mod from Thrustmaster, so while looking over Thrustmaster's pre-release documentation again to try to figure out how they were mounting their load cell, and what type of load cell they are (were?) planning to use, I think I hit on something. If you've not seen their pre-release documentation on this, you can download the pre-release PDF here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!VoFCnR4I!bonD1TD8ERT9JMtomaV_9jsfjicBKKtY5q29br_FJXE

Here's the image from page 2 of that doc that shows how the load cell mounts in their design:

Thrustmaster-load-cell-concept_zps9c417ab1.jpg

I've been pulling my hair out trying to find an inexpensive load cell that would mount like that, and I've come up with nothing. Looking again at the picture tonight, it struck me -- that is a mounting assembly that HOLDS the load cell . . . and I suddenly realized that it pretty much looks like they've adapted the same "bathroom scale"-type pressure-sensitive resistor that's used in Fanatec's CSP pedals to work with the T500 pedals.

Here's the pressure sensor used in Fanatec's CSP pedals:

CSP-Load-Cell_zps327863f7.jpg

And here's that superimposed on Thrustmaster's load cell prototype:

Thrustmaster-load-cell-conceptCSP-LoadCell_zps59f4c415.jpg

NOW I understand how they were going to make it work. Unfortunately, the pressure sensors in the Fanatec CSP pedals have a high failure rate -- nowhere near as durable as a "proper" beam-type load cell -- so that means the Thrustmaster load cell mod would have been prone to similar failure rates as the pressure sensors in the Fanatec CSP pedals.

Even though the pressure sensors used by Fanatec are fairly low-cost, that mounting bracket "carrier" that is designed to bolt to the Thrustmaster brake pedal looks like an expensive machined piece, so I'm wondering if the production cost of that piece may be what's delayed (or killed?) Thrustmaster's own load cell mod?

Anyway, I thought this was a cool little "discovery" -- I could be wrong, but it all seems to fit (literally!) now that I've puzzled it out finally.

:cool:

Nice deciphering, John.

That indeed looks like an aluminum block, with on that a scale loadcell held in place by a what looks like thin brass bendable cover. The holes in it are to let air escape and through them and on the right side near the screws you can clearly see the loadcell sticking out.

Awesome find. If you hadn't said anything than I would have never realized. lol

Unfortunately, the pressure sensors in the Fanatec CSP pedals have a high failure rate -- nowhere near as durable as a "proper" beam-type load cell -- so that means the Thrustmaster load cell mod would have been prone to similar failure rates as the pressure sensors in the Fanatec CSP pedals.

That is interesting. My load cell in CSP lasted over three years before I myself broke the wires while disassembling pedals for maintenace. So it should last for years. As someone brought out in Fanatec thread, 4 load-cells cost $10-$15 on ebay. So, as for Fanatec, it is hands down a lot better option than "proper" beam-type load cell.
As for Thrustmaster, if it really costs about 80 or similar as someone pointed out long ago, I might agree, it might not be the best solution.

Deadzone and force... I suppose that's for the load cell, or? :confused:

Yeah, those dials (and the box they're mounted on) are part of the Thrustmaster load cell mod prototype -- the "load cell" connects to that box, which in turn connects to the wheel (apparently).

Hey guys,

F1 wheel paddle switches keep going out on me! TM sends me one and the other goes out in a month or so! This is the 3rd button switch that has gone bad. We need a mod for the f1 wheel paddle switches. Someone hurry! Lol. :)

Hey guys,

F1 wheel paddle switches keep going out on me! TM sends me one and the other goes out in a month or so! This is the 3rd button switch that has gone bad. We need a mod for the f1 wheel paddle switches. Someone hurry! Lol. :)

The site of the guy above you, John Bodin, has some for you for a while now.
He also offers the switches for the fixed paddles on the base if I might add.

Enjoy the direct link to the F1 switches below... ;)

http://www.bodin-solutions.com/BSW-T500-F1/cat1644579_2065125.aspx

We're still solidly in the "we don't know yet" space, Jim, but it sure seems to be D.O.A. to me at this point.

But with your load cell mod we are not without a solution.

Without a doubt the single best sim controller update I have ever bought.

Paul

Paul

I agree.

The biggest improvements for me were LoadCell & Triple screens. These items really brought me to another level.

We're still solidly in the "we don't know yet" space, Jim, but it sure seems to be D.O.A. to me at this point.

Thanks John.

I just ordered the T500 F1 wheel so I'm getting up to speed on the TM stuff. I'm mainly using the PS3 and PC for racing so I decided to go ahead and move from my CSR to the TM side. I ordered the Basher Brake Mod and signed up on your site to be notified when your load cell mod will be back in stock.

Looking forward to getting the T500 and get on with racing.

Jim

Paul

Thanks! I love hearing feedback like this, Paul -- glad you're enjoying your BLC-T500!

👍

:cool:

I think i like the way csp have there loadcell setup more, if thrustmaster is setup the way mr bodin says then wouldnt you have to always step on the center of the brake pedal to get best results? i brake alot sometimes just using the very edges of the pedal left and right, im hardly dead center to be honest, and because csp has their loadcell connected the way they do and not directly behind the brake pedal plate, its still very effective.

Im no expert but wouldnt the way thrustmaster seem to have done it make braking off dead centre on the pedal not that effective/wont register as well? or am i missing something?

Big Brake Pedal is ready for shipping!!!
CNC Machined 6061 Billet Aluminum Made with pride in the USA

PM me to place an order.

I have over a dozen ready to go.

Two finishes. Brushed Aluminum and Polished Aluminum.

Price:

$27 USD Shipped in the lower 48

$20 USD Plus Shipping Outside the lower 48

Thank you for your patience.
186602DB-C0E6-4F27-A993-AB20CFA008CA-775-00000071677C36B1_zps1db97b68.jpg

Edit: Adjusted Shipping price. Cost $7 with envelope in the lower 48.

Last edited:
Big Brake Pedal is ready for shipping!!! CNC Machined 6061 Billet Aluminum Made with pride in the USA PM me to place an order. I have over a dozen ready to go. Two finishes. Brushed Aluminum and Polished Aluminum. Price: $25 USD Shipped in the lower 48 $20 USD Plus Shipping Outside the lower 48 Thank you for your patience.

Any thoughts on making a "double wide" that spans across to both brake and clutch levers?

That's the firmware. Read below that.

Yeah. I'm gonna give it a go later today. It's a weird update though. Somebody posted it earlier on iracing and at first glance, it's exactly what I thought. It's a very stealth update. But then they go and say "Highly recommended for everyone to install". It's both exciting and meh. Could be referring to anything. Wish they would have at least mentioned what games they're referring to.

Back