Fallout 3

• Thread starter NLxAROSA
  • 756 comments
I don't think it's too late, at least not for me. I'm on the last part of the main story and I'm having a pretty good time just running around with my combat shotgun and laser rifle.

It's way too late for me. I only rented the game. I knew I was going to get sick of it, sooner than later. I played it once, and that was good enough for me.

It's way too late for me. I only rented the game. I knew I was going to get sick of it, sooner than later. I played it once, and that was good enough for me.
Fallout 3 is one of only three PS3 games that I own. No other games available at the present time interest me whatsoever. I am looking forward to the DLC.

Even though I've done everything there is to do in this game, I still boot it up on occasion for the sole purpose of collecting Alien Power Cells. I don't actually use the Alien Blaster in my present game, but perhaps I'll decide to utilize the thousands of Alien Power Cells that I've accumulated, while playing through the DLC.

I played Fallout 3 for 2 weeks - from April 29th until May 15th. And I'll never play it again.

It's a dreadful mix of "The Hobbit" text adventure, D&D and the long-standing sci-fi tradition of a futuristic, but post-apocalyptic, wasteland filled with pop-culture references. The dialogue varies from the odd to the implausible, the characters all wander around with no real heed to each other (watching them just endlessly walk into each other, because one MUST go that way and the other MUST go the other way, almost never gets old), it's supposedly "huge" but, just like GTA4, is really a very linear game with lots of disparate locations spread very far apart with giant gaps of jobby all in-between, and the bugs... OH, the bugs... It's like no-one ever playtested the damn game.

So I rocked up my Platinum and sent it back. Horrible, horrible game.

U must had a nasty experience, but i didnt had a single bug experience yet:D

U must had a nasty experience, but i didnt had a single bug experience yet:D

I had a whole giant bunch of them...

1. Game won't let you start the GOAT test (almost the first "challenge" of the game) - you sit down as directed and it doesn't start. Only fixed by reloading a manually-saved game, not autosave (so if you've let it autosave to there, you have to restart the game from scratch).
2. Characters "flee" (Nuka Cola Challenge girl... Sierra? is particularly bad for this) and won't let you talk to them, making certain tasks impossible to complete without a reload.
3. Numerous game freezes moving from location to location (I found it happened quite a lot when leaving subway stations for the outside world).
4. VATS gives you greater-than-zero % hit chances (I've seen up to 95%) when the shot is obstructed by objects close to the character.
5. Dialogue can include dead characters, even when both you and the character to whom you're speaking know the other guy is dead.

This is by no means a comprehensive list - I forget lots of it just as I forget lots of the game. However, I used "The Vault" as my helping hand through and they list known bugs for everything in the game - objects, people, locations, missions - and there's literally hundreds of them. The PS3 version seems, if anything, to be slightly less buggy than the 360/PC versions...

I recently started playing Fallout 3. It's been sitting on the shelf since release, but I didn't have the time to sit down for long periods and play it. Now that I do, I am enjoying it quite a bit!

I didn't think I would like it, as I very much prefer an Elder Scrolls style fantasy setting in RPGs, however Bethesda have succeeded again (IMO) in creating a really detailed and interesting world to explore.

Yes, there are bugs. Some of them are just unbelievably obvious and make me wonder just what the QA department were doing, but this is sort of the norm for Bethesda's games. :) Oblivion had quite a few game breaking bugs and thousands of minor ones. One look at the changelog for the Unofficial Oblivion Patch will prove that. So far the only problem I've had with Fallout 3 is that it once crashed back to the XMB when I fast traveled to a location. Nothing has happened since.

I was glad to hear that the DLC and previous (and I guess future?) patches are coming to PS3. I'm unsure if I will hold off purchasing the DLC and just buy the GoTY edition in October. Depends if it's still classed as the same game in the Trophy Collection and if save games are compatible.

I had a whole giant bunch of them...

1. Game won't let you start the GOAT test (almost the first "challenge" of the game) - you sit down as directed and it doesn't start. Only fixed by reloading a manually-saved game, not autosave (so if you've let it autosave to there, you have to restart the game from scratch).
2. Characters "flee" (Nuka Cola Challenge girl... Sierra? is particularly bad for this) and won't let you talk to them, making certain tasks impossible to complete without a reload.
3. Numerous game freezes moving from location to location (I found it happened quite a lot when leaving subway stations for the outside world).
4. VATS gives you greater-than-zero % hit chances (I've seen up to 95%) when the shot is obstructed by objects close to the character.
5. Dialogue can include dead characters, even when both you and the character to whom you're speaking know the other guy is dead.

This is by no means a comprehensive list - I forget lots of it just as I forget lots of the game. However, I used "The Vault" as my helping hand through and they list known bugs for everything in the game - objects, people, locations, missions - and there's literally hundreds of them. The PS3 version seems, if anything, to be slightly less buggy than the 360/PC versions...

Fallout 3 is notorious for its bugs though. But i tihnk your right about the testing of the game, it's seems they didn;'t bothered to even test it. The patch though helped fixed a lot of bugs.

for those who have played Oblivion it's the same story, Bethesda seems to have an issue with this sort of thing. Some of the glitches are so blatant that it seems they surely must not have tested thoroughly enough. That being said however, I played through the game twice without experiencing any of the major glitches and I wasn't even trying to avoid them (for those that can be avoided). I did however have lots of issues with freezing and slowdowns before the patch.

great now the DLC is coming to the ps3 version as well? I had it and sold it after i beat it. I actually really enjoyed the game. The scenery and feeling of exploring the wasteland. Finding stuff, upgrading etc. I enjoyed the overall experience. Was really upset when the xbox version had all the DLC (wish i woulda bought it for 360 instead of ps3) But i sold my copy a long time ago. If only i woulda known. I just did NOT like the ending...not one bit. :indiff:

The DLC every get released? I never saw any in the PS store. However, I did notice the trophies got updated. I once had 100% complete and earned a Platinum trophy, but now it's at 51%.

If I recall correctly, the first DLC was scheduled for June, but has been moved back until the end of September. Which, fortunately, is soon. :)

By the way, the fact that the trophy list was updated is a good indicator that the release is most probaby a done deal. :)

BTW - there is a GOTY edition coming out sometime in "fall" - that has all of the DLC's in...

I'm renting this game at the mo - but will buy the GOTY edition when it's out so that I get all of the DLC'S!

Currently loving the game too - although it is taking up all of my free time!!!

C.

Does anyone know how to enable the console ( ~ ) (for cheats) after the 1.7 patch? Whenever I press ~ nothing pops up. I tried messing with the opacity but nothing physically pops up.

Had an upgrade for this game today - not sure if anything was fixed - but a load of new trophies were added - obviously in connection to the incoming DLC...

C.

EDIT : Sure anyone who cares has already noticed - but Bethesda has released the release dates for the DLC...

Bethesda
The first DLC for PlayStation 3, Broken Steel, will be available next Thursday, September 24th in English territories. That will be followed by the release of “Operation: Anchorage” and “The Pitt” on October 1st, and “Point Lookout” and “Mothership Zeta” on October 8. Check here for details on a new game update for the PlayStation 3 version of the game.

Additionally, we are also pleased to announce that Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC) will be available at retail on Tuesday, October 13th. The Game of the Year edition includes Fallout 3 and all five DLCs. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions will retail for $59.99 and the Games for Windows version will be available for $49.99.

FWIW though - I'm pretty sure the GOTY version comes out on the 16th in Blighty as that is what Play think...

C.

Last edited:
Oh lawd! About ****ing time:

3952377758_d1f7b52c71.jpg

£7.99 in blighty...

I've preordered GOTY version from Play - 2 weeks extra wait - but cheaper in the long run!

C.

Sigh. Game froze on the loading screen after i left the car tunnel for the first mission.

As much as I did enjoy FO3, the glitches got to me in the end. I was tempted by the DLC but I think I'll give it a miss thanks to this post.

Thank you Giancarlo, you've just saved me £9. I might buy a COD:WaW map pack to celebrate (joking, of course)

It's still only $10. The new gameplay really is kind of cool. More Liberty Prime is always good. And the glitches aren't that bad, it's just frustrating because i don't like having to reset my PS3 manually. But sometimes, if you let the game sit for a bit, it will eventually un-freeze.

It's still only $10. The new gameplay really is kind of cool. More Liberty Prime is always good. And the glitches aren't that bad, it's just frustrating because i don't like having to reset my PS3 manually. But sometimes, if you let the game sit for a bit, it will eventually un-freeze.

I noticed that aswell. This game is very strange lol and im gonna get the GOTY Edition:D

Guh - game froze on me today for the second time...

How annoying!!

Not the first bug I've encountered (GOAT didn't work!) but with a little help from the internet I workedround that...

Game freezes just shouldn't happen on a console!!

C.

Apologies for Double Post...

Thought I'd just let you know that the "GOTY" version of Fallout 3 is now out - I have my copy already - Play dispatched it Wednesday - and it arrived today...

Not played it yet though!

C.

Back