Car Mockups (Post ye' other cars aswell) 56k might die

• Thread starter Turbo Lag
  • 204 comments
It's Midnight Club Los Angeles, and it uses the same Rage Engine that underlies GTA4, only optimized slightly differently (you can't leave the vehicle).

It is fantastic.

Rockstar has stated that there will be no more Midnight Club games. Last one. Get it while you can.

It may be on the same engine, but it doesn't play anything like GTA. I found MCLA to be a big disapointment once I really settled in past the 'honeymoon phase' of having a new game.

The silly thing was I had more fun playing GTA as a driving game and I had more fun on the Midnight Club before LA (3 and/or Remix) when they were much more over the top mainly because the physics were much more open to drive how you like.

To put it another way, there's a reason why R* pulled the plug, after ruining the team behind the game before LAs release (there was various politics going on behind the scenes) the game flopped and came out unfinished and buggy. It wasn't an awful game but it is far from what was expected by the core fanbase of the series and just didn't stand out for the rest.

There you have it, apparently not worth the $15 you might pay for it these days - better get Juiced 2, Hot Import Nights and just ignore any pics you see here or vids seen on UtUbe...

There you have it, a stupid post which seems to ignore that I said it's not a bad game, it's just not the gods gift and then made a completely unrelated comment about a game nobody else brought up with no valid discussion points. I forgot Youtube was the ultimate hub of displaying all valid opinions of anything.

I am merely making sure someone doesn't go into it expecting a game which will have a long life with no reason to believe other and then find as many of the GTPers here grew bored quite quickly and most of the online community from Midnight Club 3 got bored even more quickly. It's a decent title, just not a guaranteed insta-buy is all I'm saying.

The map feels small even with South Central, the physics feel restricting and don't allow you to have any real fun, the modifications mostly ricey looking, the superbikes overpowered, there's potential many bugs haven't been fixed which could cause the game to crash a worrying amount of times (PS3) online though they should have been by now (avoiding switching cars in an online match to soon after each other).

If you don't go in expecting or wanting to much you'll get a decent deal, but if you want an open world racer for cheap with longevity most people will probably point you towards Burnout Paradise, or if you're looking newer Need for Speed Hot Pursuit seems to be popular also. MCLA is a bit of a marmite game, some love it, some don't, review scores are positive but those reviewers generally don't spend that long with the game whereas the previous instalment lasted many gamers a very very long time before they moved on. That said if you spend a similarly short amount of time with the game you shouldn't get to bored to quick, if you plan on playing long after you complete the main single player it is worth looking elsewhere.

Last edited:
CWR, thanks man. The problem is I wanted to keep the moldings and bumpers matte finish. You can barely tell in the pics that I had to carefully paint the bottom part.

MCLA is a great game. The best free roaming driving game out there. Who wants to drive cars that you can't customize?

Wow, Dragonistic. Saying "It wasn't an awful game" is hardly a resounding recommendation. As for no valid discussion points, J2:HIN is the only other game of that recent generation that has both customization and replays (perhaps sandbox, but I only played the demo: the physics were too bad for purchase).

Thanks for overreacting and calling my post (and by implication, me) stupid when I defend a game that is the subject of this part of the forum.

I personally had to make myself play my recently acquired PS3 copy of Burnout Paradise for three days before giving up on it - I played it longer as an X-Box demo; I still don't understand why my enjoyment didn't translate to the full game on the PS3 - but seeing as there are no licensed cars, real customization, photo mode or replays, it's not really as comparable to MC:LA as it might be. NFS:HP still lacks the customization, replays and freeroam/sandbox aspects of MCLA.

I only have the Complete Edition of MCLA on PS3, so I'm unfamiliar with the problems it had early on - but this holds true for somebody picking it up now as well. I would advise they pick it up for the 360 to avoid the apparently still current PS3 online problems, but being as this is primarily a Gran Turismo website, that wouldn't be very politic.

I was being somewhat sarcastic when I stated flatly that it's fantastic - when you're on a thread where posters are enthusing about something and ask if that something is any good...I don't know what response they expect. I see some large flaws in the game myself, but balancing that against all the enjoyment I've gotten from it, I stand by that statement; amending it only with - in my opinion (which I think is pretty much implied in any forum).

Your criticisms have merit, but do you honestly see any comparable games on the horizon with no more MC? TDU2 is purported have some customization features, but their modeling and rendering leave something to be desired, plus the first game couldn't support replays if there was any NPC traffic, and there's mostly only modern exoticars, you're not going to get to romp around Ibiza in any 55 Belairs, 65 Malibus or 69 Mustangs.

Some of us are still playing MC:LA even now, over 2 years since it's release. We didn't get too bored too fast :indiff:

Mazyata the really difficult paint usually is stuff you can barely notice, unfortunately. A criticism I will level at MC:LA is some car choices - yours is the first good use of the Scirocco I've seen, and that's because it's imitating another car. R* had the VW group license and chose to put in the Scirocco? Aside from all the classic 'Dubs you could have had, why not the Veyron? This game was made before Porsche lost it's bid to buy VW and was itself absorbed by same in a most ju-jitsu move, so I understand why no Porsches, but why no Bentleys? Ah, well - now I'm just ranting; I'm sure there were perfectly boring reasons for their choices.

Honestly? It is the best you get of the current generation in it's field to an extent, there's not alot to compare it to in terms of customisation and free roaming gameplay combined. The problem is compared to it's own predecessor it comes up short as it was rushed due to the politics behind the scenes which ultimately has resulted in the demise of the series (or seemingly). That and compared to other arcade racers it comes up short in many ways but not all, it's not a bad game is what I would recommend it as but I'm not foolish enough to assume that is the only way.

The point was not to ignore what you or others had said, merely that there are other points of view, I played Midnight Club 3 for 4 years or so and only moved on because I got a PS3 and even then I went back sometimes. It had a certain appeal to it's online community more then anything and with LA they removed all the great features such as car clubs, the simplicity of text chat to remove language barriers which should have stayed and had voice added to it though many games neglect the simplicity of text, the sheer number or cars available, the more diverse environments, the more customisation options outside of liveries (where LA definately did improve). That is ultimately, combined with the love or hate physics and relatively small expanse to explore, why the game began to feel repetitive earlier then hoped.

The bottom line, you have a limited selection of cars many of which aren't even very popular, not that much road to drive them on, and should you create a car you like there's no guarantee it will be much fun to drive. It's a case of what should have been better but is only average when considering the overall demographic, like a town with only one small restaurant which some love and some hate it doesn't make it the best option to eat out for all just because it's the only one but it depends what you value and what your tastes are. There are areas where LA can excel but others where it falls down regardless of the competition, for a slicker pure race experience it is often not the case that LA comes out on top particularly online (there is some odd lag which has always occured in MC games where everyone moves smoothly but it's actually a little behind their position making it difficult to have a fair and close race). For sheer customisation in an open world game, it does stack up well just because nobody else is really doing it anymore, and there are many examples throughout the game where it could make no difference or be a real bother dependant on the player. That's true of any game of course, but this is one in particular riddled with potential deal breakers but not guaranteed ones.

Honestly, for me the biggest thing it had going for me right out of the box over MC3 was that there were Fords in it. Selfish of me, but there you are. I still play MC3, I bought a $25 X-Box for that very purpose (my hometown's in it - how cool is that?) and I noticed an interesting thing after everyone started complaining that you could only have 30 cars in your MC:LA garage; you could'nt have more than 30 cars in your MC3 garage, either. But a lot of those cars are a lot cooler than MC:LA's, despite not being Fords.

My curse is being a fan of a dead game genre. That's excessively riding the drama llama, so I'll just settle for saying that the fortunes of the driving game seem to be on the wane while the racing game enjoys it's time in the sun. Maybe Driver San Francisco won't be a total vacuum...

Heh. I'm not sure, but I think I still have the highest rated Mitsu 3000 GT in the game.

getsakeimage.ashx

Ricer like WHOA. ;D

The cars I'm *actually* proud of got eaten when the original PS3 took a dump. :'( I had a Las Vegas themed car; hood was done like the Vegas sign. It was a BEAUTY; it was glittery and gaudy in that special way only Vegas can be. Haven't had the heart or energy to remake all the cars I had.

Made one with Che Guevarra on the hood, another with the Obey giant. Lots of others too. Le sigh.

CWR, yeah I also wonder how the cars were picked. Seems like they should have made more effort on the selection of cars. But of course the game is still kicks butt thanks the amount of options you can do to the cars. Also top it off with good amount of people still going online racing or hard parking and showing off their rides. Anyways I'd rather pick a short car list with loads of customizations compared to a long list with no customizations. You just feel no connection with cars you can't modify.

Blank Redge, good job with your high ratings. I would be lucky if I can break 4.

Just picked up a wrecked Malibu not too long ago for a great price =P It has already been turned into a drag car. Sorry no build pics.

maliboo.jpg

backmali.jpg

calibu.jpg

calibuback.jpg

Thanks! Yeah you sure see some crazy stuff people to do their rides in the MCLA community. Well actually most cars are like that. The things people come up with are very imaginative =)

Got another GTI.

gtii.jpg

gtiibb.jpg

Thanks! Yeah you sure see some crazy stuff people to do their rides in the MCLA community. Well actually most cars are like that. The things people come up with are very imaginative =)

Got another GTI.

gtii.jpg

gtiibb.jpg
Hm. I actually like the choice of rims on this; I usually don't put these rims on anything.

Like the overall color and decal application (that is to say, simple, and un-busy), though I'm not 100% keen on the slammed look on this one. Personal stylistic differences; no offense, of course. :)

Yeah I don't use these rims on anything else either. To me there are better ones I can put like BBS meshes but since these look pretty close to Porsche turbo twists I had to do it. The car is bagged because at these wheel sizes the regular ride height it sits a little too high. So I'd rather have it slammed than having the 4x4 look (I am also obsessed with slammed cars anyways). Or I can just time it right as the car lowers and snap the pic. It is also unfortunate that you can't get a nice stance and wheel fitment in this game. No racing game has this anyways. I am not feeling the dual exhausts or the body kit either but you have to work with what they give you =). The side decals are 'inspired' by the Porsche RS. I wanted to do the same font and position but it would require lots of work. In the end I am just messing around since I already built a race version and cruiser version. This is now a street racer and is not supposed to be too pretty or clean.

Thanks for your comments! I would like to see what you would have done to it and see your other cars too.

Thanks for your comments! I would like to see what you would have done to it and see your other cars too.
Wish I still had all the ones I made; lost almost all of 'em when the other PS3 took a dump. T_T

Should get around to re-creating some of those cars... among things, I had (imo, of course) the best looking Team Falken Mustang and 350z. Was in the process of working on a Falken GT 40.

I went with it with the GTI's high water status and made the Wabbit Hunter - of course, I was trying to be funny cuz I couldn't come up with something good - you just came up with something good...

Wabbit500front.jpg

What I finally did with the Malibu - a replica of a Chevelle in Rod&Custom mag:

RC-chevelle-02.jpg

RC-chevelle-09.jpg

What I initially did with the Malibu - a Foose tribute:

Malibu-1.jpg

Malibu-disney-1.jpg

SC-street-malibu-1.jpg

Last edited:
Those are cool rides! I have seen that Elmer Fudd car before on RMR. That must be you? Or maybe someone else? Not sure if it was the exact same scheme. I like the what you did to the top of that 'Chevelle'. Seems like that would take a while to do! Keep it up.

More messing around with my cars. Bring it on haters!:

advanevo.jpg

lancy.jpg

lowzzy.jpg

riwwy.jpg

sex4pala.jpg

After playing the hot mess that is TDU2 I had the overwhelming need to play MC:LA again...on the X-Box because I've already bought the garage - and the pics just look better, I'm sorry. I redid my Messerschmitt MB (turns out the numbers I had on the car previously had really bad and entirely unintentional meaning in the context of the paint design), showing off my instinctive non-understanding of German with the sign "die fleidermaustotenkopf" (die fleidermaus from the play about the bat that I only know from the comic book and animated versions of The Tick character that was changed to Bat-Manuel in the live action TV series; Totenkopf was the villain in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - his name means 'death's head' - all in reference to the batwinged skull on the hood) and finally made a warbird design using both matte paint and the Belair; the P-40 Warhawk, driven (piloted?) by 'Kill'em' Al. I think I used every layer on every side.

new-messer-06.jpg

new-messer-05.jpg

new-messer-01.jpg

warhawk-05.jpg

warhawk-03.jpg

warhawk-02.jpg

I would take requests, but there's no way to get it to ya - we could make your request and take pics of it, but that's the only way you'd really see it...

CWR
I would take requests, but there's no way to get it to ya - we could make your request and take pics of it, but that's the only way you'd really see it...

Well, couldnt you put it on Rate my ride, and i could just search for it?

Okay, we'll just take my hysterical laughter as a given and move on - there are over 10,000 cars on RMR and they are ordered by rating only, as a list without any user assigned title or anything. So you'd hafta stop at every listing of your requested car model and click it to see what it looks like.

We tried several methods of gaming RMR to exchange car designs but they all failed - even hiding the actual design under the worst designed customizing job we could muster in order to get it at the bottom of the RMR wouldn't work; some perverse idiot would somehow know your intentions and act as a spoiler, punting into the vast middle of the ratings. I had a Yenko Camaro design that I put under a pink paint job on a Camaro with big Ford logos all over it, big wide tires in front and small skinnies on the back - did everything wrong I could think of, and some crunch-bulbs rated it into the 6's...thousands of pages from either end.

Back