Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
The GT2 preview vid is much better and no crashes!!! :dopey: Although a few times a crash looks about to occur it cuts to a different scene :odd:

I do wonder why we keep seeing trailers with crashes. Was this a strategic marketing Strategy from EA to appeal to the NFS fans(who already are up in arms because it doesn't have that crappy "Fast & Furious" Street racing)? I did like the car list despite the amount of cars on it(admittingly used to GT's "Holy crap" amount of cars) and the tracks are going to be interesting. I just hope the street courses on this game aren't poor like they are on Grid.

bloody NDA :ouch:
:lol:

Thanks for all the quick info Berca 👍, keep it coming whenever there’s something new.

One question, not sure if you can answer it, but will try anyway ;).
Ian talks (Auto sim sport interview) about a 400+ Hz running physics engine, which is mighty impressive IMO !! However in one of the last interview Jesse talks about an AI and physics engine running only at 120 Hz. Did you guys have to dumb it down so much, or was Jesse’s info wrong?

Really looking forward to try the game out,

I can't comment on trailer ... :-(

anyway here is cars and tracks list

http://www.videogamer.com/news/nfs_shift_to_feature_18_tracks.html

Now I know why they kept showing the same '72 Skyline 2000GT-R in the screen shots... as it's just about the only classic car in the collection. :ouch:

In fact, it looks like there are only about ten cars that are older than 5 years. 👎

That said, I do like their choices regarding many of their modern cars as well as the track selection, and so unless the physics is worse than GRiD (which I doubt), this is looking like a possible buy for me. 👍

:lol:

Thanks for all the quick info Berca 👍, keep it coming whenever there’s something new.

One question, not sure if you can answer it, but will try anyway ;).
Ian talks (Auto sim sport interview) about a 400+ Hz running physics engine, which is mighty impressive IMO !! However in one of the last interview Jesse talks about an AI and physics engine running only at 120 Hz. Did you guys have to dumb it down so much, or was Jesse’s info wrong?

Really looking forward to try the game out,

I can't say much but in this case you should believe to Ian... ;-)

Looking ok so far, have I missed the info or has there been any announcement as to what size the online grids will be?

I know oppinions vary but personally I'd rather have a game with 12-16 players reliably online with fully working comms and a slight compramise to the graphical side than a graphically beautiful game that can only handle 8 players.

I think there trying to sell the main point of the game that is meant to put it above the rest, about showing what the drivers feels with the impacts and stuff

Personally, I'll take any trailer with a grain of salt. What I've seen so far, if you manage to look past the surface, is good. But I'll judge the game when the demo arrives. :)

some HD shots...

405632_full.jpg

405636_full.jpg

Last edited:
I think they look great.

In the end, the physics is what matters. I never agreed with a "graphics-first" attitude, even if that is what sells.

For me, it's "physics-first". I'll wait to see what NFS:Shift has to offer in that department, and that will be what in the end will make me buy it or skip it.

About these trailers, I guess they are made for the traditional NFS fan-base. But, as long as this game allows private lobbies, I won't be scared of racing the Nordschleife against a bunch of kids trying to take everyone else out.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-need-for/49815

I thought this was a racing game not demolition derby?? Why would they show a trailer with someone ramming everyone off the road?? It would make sense if it was Burnout but it doesnt make sense for Shift. Not a good way to present the game at all.

pretty much how i feel about all the promotion. they've done nothing to show that this will be a sim of any kind sofar.

I think people are continuously forgetting the physics have different difficult levels. For all we know, the trailers could be running Beginner or Amateur levels.

I want to see a video showing off this Professional level that advises the use of a wheel.

Regarding the list, I love it. If the modding for them continues to be anything like I've seen so far (which seems to be race-oriented 👍 ), definitely will pick this up.
may24_screens_0028.jpg

78008433.jpg

:D

This will definitely hold me over until GT5 releases. It's shaping up really nicely. As for the physics, I don't think we can judge them at all until we play the game. But the fact that it's being developed by a group of ex-SimBin employees should be a good sign that this is going to be a sim. I wouldn't call it "arcade fun racer" just yet...

Eero and SMS is a perfect combination for developing a race sim. But it is EA, who gave SMS the assignment to create Need For Speed SHIFT and who is the publisher, who decides what kind of game SHIFT has to be.

It is still a Need For Speed game (EA) and not a SMS game.

So, although Eero and SMS are able to create a realistic hardcore race sim, EA is still calling the shots.

You're forgetting SMS has implemented the engine from their Ferrari Project game, which was already previously stated to be a Ferrari sim-racing game.

I'd find it hard to believe that EA would order them to completely dismantle it & rebuild it to arcade levels.

If you want to make a "fun arcade racer" the last people you'd ask to make it for you is the team they've got together for shift. EA maybe an "unpopular" company, but they are a very profitable and long established games company, They obviously see the way the driving games market is going and have tailored Shift to fit in with what will be poular at it's release date. For me what it's aiming for is the GT5 and Forza 3 market, as is Supercar Challenge and Superstar V8.......The trend certainly looks to be Sim and EA certainly look to be looking on cashing in on it.

If you want to make a "fun arcade racer" the last people you'd ask to make it for you is the team they've got together for shift. EA maybe an "unpopular" company, but they are a very profitable and long established games company, They obviously see the way the driving games market is going and have tailored Shift to fit in with what will be poular at it's release date. For me what it's aiming for is the GT5 and Forza 3 market, as is Supercar Challenge and Superstar V8.......The trend certainly looks to be Sim and EA certainly look to be looking on cashing in on it.
+1.

But, being who EA is, it seems obvious from their other 2 titles coming up this year that they aren't willing to let the arcade market go just yet.

And Eero.. ;) I have faith in him 👍
I'm with stupid 👍

And don't fotget how EA over the last (few) year(s) has changed direction and released (or reintroduced/improved) some very interesting games (mirrors edge, mass effect, fifa 9/10). So don't think they are afraid of changing the direction of NFS if they think it is the right move.

I mean there must be a reason why the game is called SHIFT ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, that just adds weight to the argument that Shift will be "sim" biast at least. with the other 2 titles being fimly in the "arcade" biast camp.
From the videos and screen shots this looks to be a very good track racer, the dev team behind it have certainly got the right credentials also. You can see the polished PR heavy videos are playing the "excitement" card to make the game apealing to the mainstream but without the "need for speed" titles if you showed these vids to people they would not associate it to the series.
The more I see of the game the more it's looking like a AAA sim racer, try to look past the NFS heritage and EA involvement and simply look at the nuts and bolts of it.

Reventón;3409702
+1.

But, being who EA is, it seems obvious from their other 2 titles coming up this year that they aren't willing to let the arcade market go just yet.
No but the fact they have these other two specifically arcade focused titles coming means it'd be a conflict in interests to have a third. This one has to have somethng going for it and I'm guessing the others will have a fair few of the same cars and we know they'll have bodykits regardless of how tasetfull or not otherwise EA would be stealing sales from their own games and getting no more sales from all three than just the hand held game and only one console one.

I think the physics could be okay, I agree that the focus on crashes so far seems odd and it isn't in any way drawing me or most of you to the game but these promo clips are not the game, they are snippets of staged events in the game. I don't expect it to be a crash every cornery destruction derby job, I don't think the damage model will be good enough for that either, but I don't think these clips are a conflict of the potential this game has considering who it is made by. I tihnk they're hoping to draw in casual gamers with this promotion stuff and hoping the sim gamers will read the reviews and play the demo and be impressed as well.

finall I'm relieved that we're seeing more kitted up cars and the style of the kits is right where it should be so a bug 👍 for that and I'm expecting the kits and paint shop to take up a fair bit of my time.

Back