FAUX-CAR (Replicas) - The good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter PAPAOSA
  • 94 comments

PAPAOSA

Grammatically challenged
Premium
Replica cars! Is it plastic surgery for the auto world? Why reshape a cheaper car into a fake classic or a supercar?
ACreplica.jpg
Lamborghini-Countach-Replica-26.jpg

Everyone loves a custom, and a replicated classic like an AC Cobra or a Lamborgini, because they are a tribute to the all-to-rare original.

However, do we love a Datsun kitted and re-badged as a Ferrari? Like this Datsun....
800px-Datsun_280_ZX_Luzern.jpg

that becomes this 'Ferrari'!
gto_z_bmw_replica.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------
Just to kick it off, here's another example I found recently. A Toyota MR2 that transforms into another 'Ferrari'.
2005_toyota_mr2spyder_31760-396x249.jpg
nickop576.jpg

What do you think? Is it a worthy cause, or does polishing a turd just leave you with a shiny turd
Post what you see or find on this phenomenon.

The amount of money involved in creating these faux-cars seems at odds with just spending the money on an original. If it's not a demo for a custom or panel shop, why would anyone bother?

Looking forward to your pics and comments!

Last edited:
unacceptable

To turn a Datsun into a 250GTO is ludicrous!

Yeah, I've heard about and (apparently) seen the MR2 turn Ferrari at topgear live. From reading most articles, it looks like the best recreation.
The problem is substance. It's a bit like saying you can do the Nurburgring Nordshliefe in 3 minutes in a golf buggy to a bunch a gullable pratts - but when someone with a hint of intelligence (i.e a teenager who really thinks his civic is the fastest thing out there) challenges your claim, you will fail, and fail badly.

If you have an MR2, spend the money on more walk and less talk!

EDIT: There is a better replica of a 360 from an MR2 than the one you have posted PAPA...people are saying that's what Topgear live used soyou could google that.

The Datsun>Ferrari doesn't look that bad, the MR2>Modena looking thing is just awful. Anyways, if I were to anything along the lines of this it would be a kit car.

Honestly, I kinda like the replicas just because some can be so very good, and others so very bad. That MR-S you posted is actually a delightfully horrid example. On the other hand, I've seen a Peugoet 408 Ferrari 360 kit that looked exactly like the real article, and I must say that's a great justice.

They're the clowns of the automotive world, a very dedicated type of questionable modification.

EDIT: In fact, here's a delightfully recent link in the Questionable Modifications thread to that very car! https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3354603&postcount=9490

Honestly, I kinda like the replicas just because some can be so very good, and others so very bad. That MR-S you posted is actually a delightfully horrid example. On the other hand, I've seen a Peugoet 408 Ferrari 360 kit that looked exactly like the real article, and I must say that's a great justice.

They're the clowns of the automotive world, a very dedicated type of questionable modification.

EDIT: In fact, here's a delightfully recent link in the Questionable Modifications thread to that very car! https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3354603&postcount=9490

406....And yes agreed the Yellow 360 does look the Genuine Product. The clowns as you refer to are the difference between a Classic replica and a Turd. Hence the thread my learned friend.

Ive seen some great replicas, Mainly expencive replicas that cost around 40.000$.
Pretty good since they actually mold orginal car part's also

So do all your A/C Cobra kits cars and old GT40 replicas count in this thread? Because I always thought they used original parts design (and sometimes better) with new engines?

So do all your A/C Cobra kits cars and old GT40 replicas count in this thread? Because I always thought they used original parts design (and sometimes better) with new engines?

"Everyone loves a custom, and a replicated classic like an AC Cobra or a Lamborgini, because they are a tribute to the all-to-rare original."

Of course, As they are the ....well lets say the Good of a bad bunch .:sly:

As for the rest it seems to be no more than a Styling Exercise ..As this one that I left out earlier is..?

Ferrari-NSX-Replica-1.jpg
Ferrari-NSX-Replica-0.jpg

NSX.>Ferrari

Although not a bad example really.....:sly:

Last edited:
yes...FUSION...as it is rubbish as a replica but yeh, it sort of works...maybe. I don't know why but I like how the very back (discluding the NSXeries) is really low. The roof gives it away - but at least this one got kahoonahs to beat most things from a set of lights.

How about Matra Murena into BMW M1? the replica kit was so immaculate and convincing (looks wise) that BMW enforced changes on it so the genuine product wouldn't be mixed with it.. :lol:

What really annoys me is somebody getting say a V6 Commodore and making it an SS replica, or even worse, an HSV replica. Then, because they're n00bs in the first place they go out street racing and lose to cars that would normally be thrashed by the actual V8 versions then those winners go around bragging they beat a V8 when they didn't. HSV/SS body kits are fine, but when they start adding the badges to try and make it a replica and claim it's something it clearly isn't it's really stupid and crappy.

Now what would be cool if someone made an E-Series HSV GTS to look like a modern day GTS-R (paint, rims, spoiler and badges), a modern day "interpretation" of a classic, not a "replica", is cool.

How about Matra Murena into BMW M1? the replica kit was so immaculate and convincing (looks wise) that BMW enforced changes on it so the genuine product wouldn't be mixed with it.. :lol:

I would love to see some pics of this car, as anything that has the genuine manufacturers running to there legal people to keep it from being in anyway related to their marque is of course interesting...:lol:

yes...FUSION...as it is rubbish as a replica but yeh, it sort of works...maybe. I don't know why but I like how the very back (discluding the NSXeries) is really low. The roof gives it away - but at least this one got kahoonahs to beat most things from a set of lights.

Yes I agree nice Fusion, Although not in this example of a....Mercury Cougar>Audi R8

cougar8_450.jpg
frt_thr_qtr_2_cougar8_thumbnail.jpg
rear_cougar8_thumbnail.jpg
side-by-side_cougar8_thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to see some pics of this car, as anything that has the genuine manufacturers running to there legal people to keep it from being in anyway related to their marque is of course interesting...:lol:

Yes I agree nice Fusion, Although not in this example of a....Mercury Cougar...>>>>Audi R8

cougar8_450.jpg
frt_thr_qtr_2_cougar8_thumbnail.jpg
rear_cougar8_thumbnail.jpg
side-by-side_cougar8_thumbnail.jpg

The same people who make this also make a W12 Golf lookalike for a normal Golf. Needless to say, they didn't pull it off properly...and it cost (I think) 12,000 pounds!

This one goes on the GOOD list......;)

'33 Hot Rod kit

factory_five_33_450.jpg

"Any small block Ford V8 engine will fit, along with the buyers choice of transmission and a Ford rear end. The benefits to starting with a completely new foundation rather than an existing Ford product from the '30s are apparent when you take a look at that triangulated tube chassis and its in-board coil-over front suspension. Plus, with just 2110 pounds. to push around with its fiberglass body, this is one '33 that will have no problem getting out of its own way."/AutoBlog.

No FUSION here, just Retro Style Muscles (With a sleeveless shirt).......:sly:

now I've seen some bad remakes of the F40 (jokes and non jokes) but this takes the cake. It's not even novel, but baaaaad.

ask and you shall receive..

Carscoop-m1RPLC_0.JPG

Carscoop-m1RPLC_6.JPG

Carscoop-m1RPLC_7.JPG

Carscoop-m1RPLC_8.JPG

Carscoop-m1RPLC_5.JPG

yup, that's the replica. one of the few that got out before BMW's lawyers got the scent of blood. :lol:

here's original Murena..

SMT%2021_05_2004%20097.jpg

and here's what it wanted to be.

oldcars_029.jpg

Oh, and before Peugeot backstabbed Matra, they had plans for more powerful 180bhp version, and even more extreme V12 version, with engine from their F1 team's car.. they even built a mock-up.

Just found this:

back-to-the-future-car-dolorean.jpg

And this is want there stands under the picture:

Awesome replica of the Delorean Time machine as seen in Back fo the Future movie. The car comes complete with "working" flux capacitor, programmable time circuit, interior details using casting from actual movie prop, movie-accurate Plutonium reactor, etc.

It's a waste of money, in my opinion..

Some of the Cobra replicas are immaculate, and very close to the original. There are a couple of UK companies that make them. There are a good few kit car companies that make replicas of old British cars too that do a very good job.

Hawk cars are one of the best - their replicas are almost perfect:

DSC06191.jpg

RallySCStratosweb.jpg

Yes, both of those are replicas.

I've found that some of the Ferrari Daytona replicas are very good too. It's normally proportions that make or break replicas and the Daytonas seem to be replicated fairly well:

classi368.jpg

Awesome stuff here so far! Here's a couple of groovy Fieros from the Questionable Modifications thread:

Fiero1.jpg

Fiero.jpg

Latest Posts

Back