GT5 Sound Thread

• Thread starter Marry_Me_GT
  • 5,638 comments
I'm just concerned about the old school cars like the 67 camaro....challenger etc. When you tune an old school vehicle it sounds FEROCIOUS and PD did'nt capture that in GT4

No offense to anyone, just my opinion. I don't like the sound. Just because its loud and its a super car don't mean its a nice sounding car. It's like many of the Drum Solos where they just do random hits and it sounds terrible yet people cheer for them because they are so called "Professional Drummers"
I think it sounds like it has no oil and its braking up. :yuck:
But even that, thats how the Diablo in GT5 should sound like.

Based on what I've heard from some of the cars at recent game shows (gamescom), I have a lot of faith for the sound reproduction for GT5. Obviously we've heard the Zonda R, and it sounds like a beast as it should. Am I expecting every car to be perfect? Unfortunately, I don't know if this is going to happen, but I do have confidence that the sound reproduction will be the best in the series so far....whether that's as up to standards as we are expecting is up for debate, and if you think about it, the sounds aren't going to get worse than they have been in the past.

Delusional or you're just kidding? LOL

Just a little exemple, if you hear the same sound, 1/ you must be deaf 2/ you never put a foot on a real race WE...

Replay GT4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhVUM_CZ2VA :yuck:

Reality check: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2wgHqrNy0 :)

The cars may not have all the sounds like transmission whine, or any backfire noises etc. BUT the GT4 sounds for the cars are actually very similar. The 787B, Nissan R92CP, Toyota GT-One, Audi R8, and others I may be forgetting, all sound similar to their real life counterparts.

The cars may not have all the sounds like transmission whine, or any backfire noises etc. BUT the GT4 sounds for the cars are actually very similar. The 787B, Nissan R92CP, Toyota GT-One, Audi R8, and others I may be forgetting, all sound similar to their real life counterparts.

Sorry, But No.

In GT4 I havent found ANY CAR, not even one that sounds like its real counterpart. :crazy:

GT3 and GT4 had a tendency to send me to sleep, too, but GT2 didn't. Given that they share the same engine sound samples, more or less, I can only attribute it to the wind and tyre noises - which makes sense; that kind of constant droning will send you to sleep.

Thats an interesting point, never really thought about the wind sounds. The wind sound in GT is a lot louder than in Forza. But even so having a good engine sound keeps me interested and stops me nodding off in long races. To be honest I nodded off in GT1 and GT2 as well, but GT3 & 4s longer races made it worse (especially when on the test course speed track!).

Forza might sound better at first hearing, but there are some major flaws in their approach when you dig deeper. The first being that the samples sound the same irrespective of where you hear the car from - a real immersion killer for me. The second (for me) is their insistence on giving every car that silly warble. Basically, you can do much better than Forza for sound, and I hope PD realise this.

Forzas sounds might not be perfect but there are in a whole different league to GTs as of now. Main flaws in Forza 3 is they decided to make all cars sound like race cars from the word go i.e. exhaust mods no longer have any effect on sound so they simply made all cars sound fully upgraded.

Not sure what your referring to in terms of the cars sounding the same irrespective of where you hear the car. The interior and exterior sounds are definately different and so is the sound from the front and rear including the distinct sound cut off point when you pan around the car in third person as many games do. I like silly warbles! Stops car sounding from sounding like sewing machines. Games like Dirt 2 are a bit OTT in that regard though. Still I'd rather have cars that sound exciting rather than monotonous so long as they're somewhat authentic and don't all sound the same.

Unfortunately I can't imagine GT5 will have changed much in this regard, much like GT4 didn't. However I think PD have noticed they have competition :) so heres hoping.

P.S. That Countach sounds good, but not as good as the ones with the presumably 'stock' exhaust sound.

Sorry, But No.

In GT4 I havent found ANY CAR, not even one that sounds like its real counterpart. :crazy:

I agree for the most part. But, the older Mustang (67 or 68?) in GT4 sounded pretty sweet under certain conditions at Seattle as I've mentioned earlier in this thread. Maybe I should go back and find that car again, video a replay and upload it here as evidence. Did it sound exactly like a tuned muscle car should sound? Not really. But, it growled as I would expect as I poured gas on it exiting turns. No pop or backfire. No transmission whines or gear clanking. I'm only talking about the engine sounds on that car.

I don't know, kind of disagree with you on those three as I really find none of them have a sound similar to their Twin-Turbo V8 counterparts.

Audi R8

GT4:

Real:

Toyota GT-ONE

GT4:

Real: *Starts at 0:29*

Nissan R92CP

GT4:

Real: *Really starts at 1:34*

Last edited:
Sorry, But No.

I thought the Ford GT with N spec tyres (to get rid of warble bug), in mono mode (to remove phase problems) and the sports exhaust upgrade sounded like the real thing with a high pass filter on :)

The GT4 22B sounded like a Subaru. The flat 4 boxer engine is pretty distinct, you can't fake that throbby thrum
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/coolcolj3/Sound/GT4_22B.mp3

I like the Cobra sound too GT3 vs GT4
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/coolcolj3/Sound/GT3_vs_GT4_Cobra.mp3

There were over 600 cars in GT4, some are bound to sound decent, given the limitations
They sounded their best when you were running into and out of the pits in practise/track day mode...

Last edited:
Delusional or you're just kidding? LOL

Just a little exemple, if you hear the same sound, 1/ you must be deaf 2/ you never put a foot on a real race WE...

Replay GT4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhVUM_CZ2VA :yuck:

Reality check: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2wgHqrNy0 :)

You didn't understand my quote. I was refering to the sound effects in replay mode which contributes to the fact that replays of Gran Turismo are very pleasant to watch. It's just like watching real virtual cars ?:-\ . In this respect GT is IMO the best car simulation game (certainly on console). I was not refering the genuineness of the engine sounds.

Your little example is a little bit unfair. How can one expect that the awsome sound of a 4 rotor wankel engine could be replicated realistically in a game from 2005. Graphically GT5 will be GT4+++ IMO. I hope PD will surprise us with a GT5 that can do some magical tricks with our ears. We soon will find out...

What is this mono thing with GT4 you are refering?

I'm guessing there's some interference between the stereo channels, resulting from playing two identical sources with one (or both) of them shifted slightly in "phase" - basically, the illusion of Stereo is in many cases created by simulating the inter-aural time delay by delaying the two channels differently (either in the software / game, or because of speaker location.)

In reality, there is only one source, and each ear hears a different colouration of the same sound (as opposed to a delayed version of the exact same sound.) See [WIKIPEDIA]Head Related Transfer Function[/WIKIPEDIA] for how the "colouration" can be achieved in-game. The main points of interest are the shape, size and relative location of the pinnae and "head shadowing" effects, the latter having a filtering effect.

Check out pictures of interference patterns, created by coherent (identical) sources in different locations to see the kinds of "damage" to the waveform that occur, the effects change depending on where you listen from (it's this phenomenon that allows you to find a "quiet spot" in the pattern created by a fire alarm sounding in an enclosed space, simply by moving your head about... although in this case, there may only be one source, but the reverberation creates this interference pattern.)

Listening with headphones should eliminate the problem if it's only due to speaker location; if the delay is (also) imposed in software, then you'll get some interesting binaural effects, assuming the channels are identical aside from the delay (and volume, naturally.) "Binaural beats" are an example of how our brains treat each ear separately. Listening to each channel in isolation (removing the other earphone) should sound like a pure tone, whilst the combination "wobbles" at the same frequency as the difference between the two separate tones. This can have some interesting spatial effects, given this is the sole reason we have two ears...

I haven't tried what CoolColJ mentioned, but it makes sense; listening to off-screen footage of GT4 shows some serious "echoing" going on (most noticeable in mono recordings of stereo+ speaker output from the game.) I think GT5:P does the same; it sounds better to me through my headphones than my 5.1 setup (less muddy / washed out in the midrange, better localisation) - but I do have a problem with reverberation, too.

Just remember with most games that seem to have better sounds, they are using what is basically an exhaust sound out of the tailpipe for the incar sound which as great as it sounds, isn't realistic. Cars don't really sound like that from the inside and most only become aggressive sounding once all the body deadener and carpet has been removed, gearbox whine is also a major sound on the inside of most race cars. The sounds in GT4 weren't great and I'd like them improved but equally I wouldn't I wouldn't want it to sound like need for speed (only from the outside on replays) :)

Great sound for the Gallardo especially at 2:46. PD has really got the hang of it now I think.

And thanks a lot wajdi1977 for all the awesome sound videos in this thread and the Latest News Thread.

Great sound for the Gallardo especially at 2:46. PD has really got the hang of it now I think.

And thanks a lot wajdi1977 for all the awesome sound videos in this thread and the Latest News Thread.
you are very welcome:)

That's an interesting read, I'm astounded that it seems to make such a difference. Can't try it myself, but I always played GT4 in 5.1 surround and some cars were good, others not so - is that still the case with mono? I'm stuck with having to emulate at the moment, but PAL GT4 doesn't work :grumpy:

Is it possible for you (or someone) to compare mono to the surround feed?

EDIT: It still doesn't sound like a Gallardo...?! To me it sounds the same as the other Gallardo vids we've had posted here, why is everyone suddenly so enamoured? :confused:
By the way, I appreciate that vids do seem to keep popping up :D

That's an interesting read, I'm astounded that it seems to make such a difference. Can't try it myself, but I always played GT4 in 5.1 surround and some cars were good, others not so - is that still the case with mono? I'm stuck with having to emulate at the moment, but PAL GT4 doesn't work :grumpy:

Is it possible for you (or someone) to compare mono to the surround feed?

EDIT: It still doesn't sound like a Gallardo...?! To me it sounds the same as the other Gallardo vids we've had posted here, why is everyone suddenly so enamoured? :confused:
By the way, I appreciate that vids do seem to keep popping up :D

Take a look at the chase cam at 2:46. Its not half bad.

Back