I just got NFS Shift!!

• Thread starter marmar
  • 449 comments
Can you drive the BMW M3 prior to the 'Test'? The reason I ask is that I can't understand how the game can fairly suggest any defaults when you can change the controller sensitivities. I'm using Race Pro as a prime example of how much better players can drive once they have sorted out steering sensitivities.

I suspect the people who play with steering sensitivities are more than capable of tweaking the other settings by themselves. I think this feature is more added for the casual gamer who just wants to pick up and play, to make sure they get an experience that's somewhat tailored to them.

The BMW M3 is the first car you drive on that test lap, you can retry that test lap as many times you want, adjusting assits etc along the way. You can always adjust your controller sensitivities later on, that test lap is just like an introduction to the game, it doesn't really mean anything since you can change everything manually.

Well it's a little hard to say. Shift is definitely more unforgiving than forza however I think forza's physics are better but feel more fine tuned to be easy to play with a controller. I can't really explain it, yet I can't really decide either. Shift's physics are definitely hard to explain, something you have to experience yourself. Actually come to think of it, it drives like GTR2, only with much more immersion. I can almost guarantee you though that you will love driving in this game.

I'm only at Tier 2 but got an invitational event to a tier 4 race with a full grid of Bugatti Veyrons at the ring. I had everything on pro mode assits off etc...The difference from driving a tier 2 car (and feeling quite confident with them), to jumping into a Veyron was overwhelming. I couldn't drive it for ****, especially with a controller, its an animal. It sounds like one too. The sense of speed...you feel almost scared to drive it lol.

I was able to tame a Gallardo LP560-4 in Time Attack mode, an MC12 GT1, Murcielago LP640 and was able to pull off some decent drifts with a fully upgraded Hachi, but when it came to the Veyron, I had no chance. I need to practice more before I can jump in that thing again, especially on the ring. Hardest car with the hardest track.

Surprisingly for you, many countries have absolutely ZERO option for renting games. In my country there are no game rental options whatsoever.
Same here! We can't rent video games.

I can t rent but Ithink you guys who can t rent are not missing out on anything.
I can rent at b...buster for 5 or 6 bucks (maybe 8 actually). i can keep the game for 5 days. what do you have time to accomplish in 5 days with a game having a little bit of depth (as I suspect NFSshift does)?
I d rather buy the game for 55 usd and sell it on ebay for 40 when I m done with it. thats what I have been doing with all my games and i m happy like this
can t wait to put my hands on shift. there is a gamestop by my house who made a mistake and released sf4 one day early. hopefully they ll do the same with shift.

Anyone know what wheels the PC version supports? BTW Cool that there is a PC version :D

what wheels does the PS3 version support while we're at it..?

I don't know, But I'm willing to bet that there is private rooms, This isn't GT5:P guys. :) Not every online racing game lives in the dark ages.

This is the M3 first race. Listen to the sound, the M3 sounds badass:drool:. (Definately not like the pathetic sound in GT5P:lol:) I can't wait to drive with the sound system cranked to the maximum:bowdown:. 15/09/09 2 days to go:sly:.

HOLY CRAP MY EARS HAVE ORGASMED! I can't wait to play this with my oldish MOMO Racing Wheel on my high-end PC. Good racing experience, here I go.

What concerns me about these early reviews is that it was played with a gamepad. I need to hear from someone who played it with a wheel.

This is the M3 first race. Listen to the sound, the M3 sounds badass:drool:. (Definately not like the pathetic sound in GT5P:lol:) I can't wait to drive with the sound system cranked to the maximum:bowdown:. 15/09/09 2 days to go:sly:.

I am curious why when he buys a RX8 and races it (stock) it cracks flames all over the place but more importantly you can still hear the same distinct transmission whine as the race cars but just much quieter, whats even worse is you can hear it from chase cam. Seems to me they're just adding too many 'effects' which puts me off :indiff:

Seems to be NFS shift is getting fans by throwing it all in your face (just listen to the cringe-worthy menu's clang) rather than making a game that speaks for itself, though everyone I have heard from who has played it is loving it, but it seems just not my thing.

Last edited:
What concerns me about these early reviews is that it was played with a gamepad. I need to hear from someone who played it with a wheel.

I started yesterday, however it is X360 Microsoft force feedback wheel.

Shift on Pro fits somewhere between Forza 2 and RacePro, but since X360 wheel itself is piece of (insert word you want) and force feedback suport on X360 is a joke, I will sustain from any judgments before PS3 version arrives and gets a propper G25 treatment.

However, game itself has a great potential in every field, I love the sense of speed, menus, overall handling fels very intuitive on Pro setting (althoug some weight-shift is over pronounced, but I think it will feel different on G25) and I really like the SP structure.

Graphics and audio are great, while Nurburgring is far the best seen so far after GT4's.

Will post some impressions later maybe, but overall I think physics have great potential - but until PS3 game arrives it just can't be properlly discussed.

If there are X360-only owners who have the wheels, I say that Shift feels like a much beter game than RacePro in terms of handling - at lease as long as you sustain from drifting, which is overpronounced due to weight-shift mentioned above - and that speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Amar, could you comment on the online questions that have been frequently asked in here but no one has yet answered them.

Playing online on the 360 with downloaded games before its official release date could equal to a ban from xbox live.

I thought you got banned if it was a pirate version (as there is pirate Xbox360 versions right now), if a trader sold it early you didn't?

However, game itself has a great potential in every field, I love the sense of speed, menus, overall handling fels very intuitive on Pro setting (althoug some weight-shift is over pronounced, but I think it will feel different on G25) and I really like the SP structure.

If there are X360-only owners who have the wheels, I say that Shift feels like a much beter game than RacePro in terms of handling - at lease as long as you sustain from drifting, which is overpronounced due to weight-shift mentioned above - and that speaks for itself.
Thanks for the impressions Amar, was something I was waiting for 👍

Doug Arno (physics lead at SMS, if I'm right, have not seen credits yet ;) ) always has been very aggressive with momentum (weight) shifts, especially under deceleration, so your first impression sounds familiar (GTL) for me ;)

Few more days in Europe unfortunately before we can try it out :(

Playing online on the 360 with downloaded games before its official release date could equal to a ban from xbox live.
Yes, which is why most people with a modded 360 don't go online. ;) I even heard of people that have two 360's: one for the illegal games which doesn't go online, and one for the legal games that can go online.

Okay so I played shift for about 2 hours today. I played it on my (modded) 360 with the controller.

Let's start by saying that I had fun with it. The graphics are pretty good, especially the cockpits look great. The game sounds nice too!

I think the physics are okay, definitely more of a simulator than GRID or DIRT2. I would say between Forza 2 and GT5:Prologue. The thing is though, I play GT5P with the G25, and I think it will be a whole different experience using a wheel.

The 2 biggest problems of this game are GT5 and Forza 3, because when they arrive, Shift will be put on a shelf, and probably won't be played ever again.

Because I think they are going to be much better then Shift.
Shift isn't a game that you play more than 2 months. Fun for a while but it doesn't have a long lasting concept like GT. When you played trough all the game modes and driven all the cars and tracks you will be done with it. Shift is good but GT is better, so why play shift? It's a waste of time as you could be playing the best(GT5 or Forza3).
Who here played ferrari challenge for a while, and then got back to Prologue? I guess everybody. The same with Shift(Although it's better then Ferrari challenge).

A good game to enjoy yourself, as GT5 is not there yet...

Just took the masarati MC12 round the Nordsleife, pretty awesome! Wish I could play with a decent wheel though!

Because I think they are going to be much better then Shift.
Shift isn't a game that you play more than 2 months. Fun for a while but it doesn't have a long lasting concept like GT. When you played trough all the game modes and driven all the cars and tracks you will be done with it. Shift is good but GT is better, so why play shift? It's a waste of time as you could be playing the best(GT5 or Forza3).
Who here played ferrari challenge for a while, and then got back to Prologue? I guess everybody. The same with Shift(Although it's better then Ferrari challenge).

A good game to enjoy yourself, as GT5 is not there yet...

Just took the masarati MC12 round the Nordsleife, pretty awesome! Wish I could play with a decent wheel though!

And thats what EA wants... EA never made a game for playing it for a long time or forever... thats the reason why they bring every year an update of their games...

Giving some DLC´s till the next game comes out... and no free stuff or else... only money money money...

I think in the next 2 months we get some car packs and tracks for Shift wich will be expensive... and in 4-5 months we will see some screenshots from NFS Shift II

Now thats an odd statement because the FC guys are still having regular races over a year after release! If the online aspects allow private hosted lobbys and a certain level of host setup options I can see certain groups playing this for a long time to come. Oh and don't post that in the FC section, you'll be lynched LOL

Simple answer is some people have modded consoles and have simply downloaded it!!

Personally I cannot stand these people because there one of the reasons why we pay so much for games!!

As of Sept. 14 2009 there is no way to mod a PS3 to play downloaded games. I actually will contend the second point here, because NES games in 1988 were $50 and there was no such modding possible at that time. Today they went up $10 which I believe is inflation related as $50 was the price for 20 years or so now, not related to people modding their consoles.

However, to the contrary, its good to buy games to encourage more games coming out in the future :)

But I will be playing NFS: Shift as soon as I can tomorrow!

Jerome

Back