Damage on all cars confirmed by IGN

• Thread starter Fritter7
  • 168 comments
"Now, even though the Subaru looked like death and the Benz/Ferrari looked scratched up, all three drove like crap after the accidents. Whereas I could fly around in the rides beforehand, now I felt tension in the wheel when I'd be driving down a straightaway and cornering was tougher than ever."

Mechanical damage: Check! :)

Great find.. well at least I think it's a find.. haven't read that before. I never cared for visual damage but this confirms mechanical damage for all the cars he tested which is a big plus

i wet my pants playing prologue yesterday. now i am ******** myself after they announced damage on all cars. i won't know what would happen to me if they added costs for repairs.

i wet my pants playing prologue yesterday. now i am ******** myself after they announced damage on all cars. i won't know what would happen to me if they added costs for repairs.

That would be awesome. Another challenge: drive as cleanly as you can, because if you don't, you have to pay for the damage. I already drive as clean as I can, but for other people who don't, it's a new challenge, and if I accidentally hit someone or vice versa, consequences have to be faced. :ouch:

Mechanical damage: Check! :)
Actually we already know that, since gamescom. Alba tried the demo with the subaru and said that after many collisions he couldn't use 4th-5th gear, something like that.

Actually we already know that, since gamescom. Alba tried the demo with the subaru and said that after many collisions he couldn't use 4th-5th gear, something like that.

Yeh but we didn't know it affected the non-visually damaged cars like the 458 and the sls, we assumed it was just race cars. so yeah this is some news.

Yeh but we didn't know it affected the non-visually damaged cars like the 458 and the sls, we assumed it was just race cars. so yeah this is some news.
True.

That part is interesting
Gran Turismo 5's a work in progress so a Sony rep let me know that the damage I was seeing in the game was still in development and will change by the game's release.

I think he is talking about the playable cars at TGS, and was metioned the damage system is still work in progress.I hope i did get the wrong end of the stick though.

It's 70 tracks divided by 20 locations, that's how i read it.

Interesting comment from a reader in that IGN damage hands-on. Whether he is to be believed or not, I don't know, but the way it is written sounds plausible:

"I work in the industry, and I can tell you for a fact this game was coming out on the 4th December 2009, it was 100% going to be released this year up until a month ago. The game was held back until March 2010 to put in a better damage model after complaints. That is the only reason, Sony wanted this game for Europe in 09."

Disappointed at the scratches and cracks.
I thought they would at least have body deformation for those manufacturers that allowed it.
Oh well, hopefully they can improve it by March.

Interesting comment from a reader in that IGN damage hands-on. Whether he is to be believed or not, I don't know, but the way it is written sounds plausible:

"I work in the industry, and I can tell you for a fact this game was coming out on the 4th December 2009, it was 100% going to be released this year up until a month ago. The game was held back until March 2010 to put in a better damage model after complaints. That is the only reason, Sony wanted this game for Europe in 09."

It wouldnt surprise me if that was true. The amount of people that complained about it would cause Sony to hold it back just to please those who wanted damage.

At the very least, his date for the original planned release is wrong.

Cool, atleast now we dont have to race some cars with damage and some cars wihout.
It wouldnt be very cool if only a handful of cars had damage.

Even though I thought the damage could be done better, I would be more than happy if they would have released it on December 4 this year and give us a patch or two in the future with better damage.

This is something, this is news, and i appreciate new information. Great find. I look forward to Gamespot's interview later today. Hopefully they iron out the whole track variations/locations issue.

I also think it would be great that with the "premium cars" you have to pay for repairs. It would add a new dimension to the game, encourage clean driving, and prevent people from riding the rails.

"I work in the industry, and I can tell you for a fact this game was coming out on the 4th December 2009, it was 100% going to be released this year up until a month ago.

I can also back that up. My friends at Blockbuster Entertainment told me that they were also given a solid December 4th release date by SCEE.

My guess would also be that they saw complaints about the damage.

I can back that up too because my dads mate is Kaz's colonic therapist and he said GT5 was definitely coming out on 4th December.

It's funny that Sony would tell industry insiders and blockbusters that it's coming out on the 4th of December, yet a moderator on this site knew for a fact that wasn't the date before TGS.

It's funny that Sony would tell industry insiders and blockbusters that it's coming out on the 4th of December

They were given the price and release through a PS3 GT5 Bundle. I even saw it with my own eyes on their computers.

Don't believe me? Who gives a ****, it's delayed now anyway.

They could have released it in December and then patched it later.

It's a big call though...do you release it at the lucrative Xmas market with a damage model that may get complaints but you can patch later, or do you launch GT5 in the middle of the year with perfect damage?

I dunno...maybe GT5 launching in its own window next year without Shift and FM3 as competition could be to its advantage.

They were given the price and release through a PS3 GT5 Bundle. I even saw it with my own eyes on their computers.

Don't believe me? Who gives a ****, it's delayed now anyway.
I'm not doubting that you have a friend at Blockbusters who was given the 4th of December as a release date from someone but I don't think it came from PD. If the date came from Sony or not, that's what I'm curious about since people with insider knowledge on here knew it wasn't going to be December the 4th. Your friend will have been given the date from Blockbuster not Sony, Blockbuster have obviousely got the date from someone or somewhere else. It was probably an educated guess, that's what the shops do before they recieve an official date. The shops wern't all on song, so I doubt Sony was supplying dates.

It's funny that Sony would tell industry insiders and blockbusters that it's coming out on the 4th of December, yet a moderator on this site knew for a fact that wasn't the date before TGS.
It's all guess work from the moderators, you know.

They don't have any special connections with PD.

They're interpreting the same information that us peasants are.

Where are the guys that swore for weeks that "170 cars will have cosmetic damage?"

So, now has the conclusion been drawn that the 170 figure refers to interior corresponding damage with exterior damage?

And every car will feature mechanical damage? I assumed every car would have mechanical damage before any announcement at any convention, but t is kinda like waking up from a dream and wondering if this still a dream or not!

Last edited:
Back