Physics and FFB poll

• Thread starter Raitziger
  • 20 comments

Physics and FFB, how are they in academy demo?

• Physics are very accurate (using logitech wheel)

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • Physics are very accurate (using fanatec wheel)

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Physics are very accurate (using std cont.)

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Physics quite accurate for a console game(using logitech wheel)

Votes: 40 40.0%
  • Physics quite accurate for a console game(using fanatec wheel)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Physics quite accurate for a console game(using std cont.)

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • There is something wrong about physics(using logitech wheel)

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • There is something wrong about physics(using fanatec wheel)

• There is something wrong about physicsgame(using std cont.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Physics have gone seriously wrong(using logitech wheel)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Physics have gone seriously wrong(using fanatec wheel)

• Physics have gone seriously wrong(using std cont.)

• FFB is great(using logitech wheel)

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • FFB is great(using fanatec wheel)

• FFB is good but i feel something is missing(using logitech wheel)

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • FFB is good but i feel something is missing(using fanatec wheel)

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • FFB is lacking grip info(understeer, oversteer using logitech wheel)

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • FFB is lacking grip info(understeer, oversteer using fanatec wheel)

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • FFB grip info is good(using logitech wheel)

• FFB grip info is good(using fanatec wheel)

• Wheel is shaking in straights(using fanatec wheel)

• Wheel is shaking in straights(using fanatec wheel)

• OMG my head is still spinning after game session :)

Votes: 7 7.0%

• Total voters
Finland
Espoo
GTP_Raitzi
There has been enough talk going back forward about Academy Physics and FFB so here is a poll for you. I just would like know what consensus thinks. There is options for both "major" wheel makes to find out if people see physics differently using different wheels. Also pad users can also vote their opinion but FFB section is only for wheel users.

Edit: There is a typo in options, other "Wheel is shaking in straights(using fanatec wheel) " should be with logitech wheel. Too bad i can not fix it :(

Last edited:
FFB is good but i feel something is missing(using logitech wheel)

There is no need for Centering Spring but only for adjustable turning degree! (DFPro here)

Raitziger, as good as your intentions are, i have the gut feeling this poll will turn red with votes by people who don't give a rat's ass about GT pretty soon. The poll would've had much greater chances if that was GTplanet from 5 years ago. Anyway, i still voted.

Well that is GTplanet today. We have new players also but that does not devalue their input as if they have real life driving experience. Five years ago world was quite different other ways also :)

H20HYBRID_GT : techically pad has only rubmble and i think GT has allways done this right so i did not bother with option.(i will try to add option for this to poll anyways)

Edit: I have no idea how could i add more options to poll :D

Quite accurate with pad. I just don't get what do you mean by "for a console".

Well obviously the physics won't be as good as a multi million dollar simulator that the F1 teams use, so "for a console" makes sense.

H20HYBRID_GT : techically pad has only rubmble and i think GT has allways done this right so i did not bother with option.(i will try to add option for this to poll anyways)

Edit: I have no idea how could i add more options to poll :D

Oh I thought it's called FFB on controllers too, however even it's slightly improved in the demo, I think it's still way too weak compared to GT1-4, so I thought it'd be a useful poll option. 👍
But if you don't know how ( me neither ), nevermind. :P

Hmmm, really thought I didn't like the physics to start with, but I'm coming round to it now. Still largely unimpressed by the FFB, even at the max setting '10' I don't feel like I'm really connected to the car like I seem to remember from prologue last year. By that I mean that I find it quite hard to feel where the limit is and can't feel any telltale clues for when its going to let go, however with only two cars to test with it is hard to pin that on Physics or FFB.

Having said that.... I've not touched a racing game in well over a year now so perhaps I'm just rusty. I can tell I'm on the brink of it all clicking into place, but it has been very hard work and great fun. 👍

Great physics but FFB has to be turned up through the roof to feel even remotely what the car is doing. Even then it's not giving info about much more than the rear stepping out but seeing how real modern cars feel it might not be that wrong after all. Give me the GT5TT physics and FFB smoothness with GT4 road feel and I'll call it a working package. Logitech G25 if it makes a difference, apparently it does.

Great physics but FFB has to be turned up through the roof to feel even remotely what the car is doing. Even then it's not giving info about much more than the rear stepping out but seeing how real modern cars feel it might not be that wrong after all. Give me the GT5TT physics and FFB smoothness with GT4 road feel and I'll call it a working package. Logitech G25 if it makes a difference, apparently it does.

Is your wheel set to "SIMULATION" and do u have assisted steering on at all? Isn't that power steering?

I'm not stupid enough after 12 years of GT to use wrong settings and then complain about the feeling. Yes, simulation mode selected and power steering off, also active steering off, feedback strength at 10. There surely is a need to use force to turn the wheel but the actual feedback is hardly telling me a thing about what the car is doing. Most of the time it feels like I'm just turning the wheel against a stiff spring.

The wheel doesn't seem to unwind like it does in real life, as you straighten up from a turn. There is some auto centre springing which makes it hard to turn on the limit :(
but we can't turn it off, unlike on the PC

I voted for
Physics are very accurate (using fanatec wheel)

But when I seen this..

Wheel is shaking in straights(using fanatec wheel)

My Fanatec RS wheel is not shaking at all on straights.

FFB could do good to give more info about grip levels, which seem to be more communicated by visuals such as cockpit pitching and shaking and audio: tire scrub levels letting you hear the slip angle.

At the moment I'm using a dfp with simulation steering/power-steering ON/ and ffb set to 6 and for the stock z it feels damn close to how a road car would feel. While I would love more feedback, one could argue that the way it's set up for the road car, it is actually quite true to life. For the tuned car I take off the power-steering and crank up the ffb to 10. This car can be pushed very, very hard and at the limit gets nice and nervous and snappy.

My fanatec wheel did not shake like it did in GT5: P. Still it is there a little but game was now playable. However i would also like to see same kind of FFB info as there is in LFS. Also feel general could be better. Maybe the biggest improvement could be do in "natural tyre positioning" :)

Ok i explain :) :
When back does sideways, tyres are trying naturally hold their position to road surface. This means if you let go of wheel when car's back steping out, steering wheel should move automaticly to counter the slide. Physics in this are quite simple as tyres to road grip force is higher than resistance grip force in steering cloumn. You can not counter every slide just by letting wheel go if angles are high enough. And always you have to straighten the car in right moment so that "weight of the car" wont take you with you in when tyres gain grip again.

Of course the effect differs from car to car but basic dynamics are the same(bad power steering might ruin the fun :) ) I feel this effect is somewhat missing in the GT5 demo.

Back