Play GT5 at PlayStation BETA in Birmingham (UK) on 31st July & 1st August

• Thread starter Neal
  • 407 comments
MildAshers
Absolutely, I especially felt it in the C4 WRC.

Excellent, I'm not feeling it in prologue, I'm pretty sure I've got my settings right.
The rally stages should provide a good mix of heavy steering during straight line braking.
Switching it up to light steering during hairpins/handbrake turns, if you get my drift(pun intended).

Just for you mate:

1. Graphics = 9.5. Always room for improvement.
2. Handling = 10. Perfection.
3. FFB = 10. Sublime subtleties in ffb.
4. Day to night cycle. 9. Amazing but hard to judge, due to the demo time being short.
5. Sense of Speed. 10. Best I've seen.
6. How good was the 3DTV version. 8.5. Good, but a little too much motion blur and only 30 fps.
7. Did graphics in 3DTV mode appear more jaggied YES/NO. No.
8. Noticable framerate difference between 3D/2D version YES/NO Yes. if you pay attention. Definitely affects the handling.

Noice!

Can anyone comment on the status of the shadows? Especially the shadowing on the cars, they were extremely low res until recently. I would hate to see that kind of broken shadows in the final release.

Looked good actually, better than what I've seen in earlier builds.

The ISR guy's, who I know havnt got alot of faith around here, praised the feedback/feel of the wheel.

I actually like them fellas.
Anyhow the amount of top end wheels and sims these guys play, I value there comments.
They were on the DFGT and said it was different to prologue.

One more question about ff if I may.

Was there any noticeable deadzone in the middle. What I mean is could the ff be felt immediately either side of neutral possition?

Sorry if my question sounds complicated, it isn't really.

Thanks.

Couldn't help myself. I had to make some GTP stickers. Looked good on our sleeves too. I thought they'd look good and make it easier for people to know who we were. It worked because that's how we met up. And I brought some spares, just in case. Got asked loads of times about what GTPlanet was after they saw the sticker on my sleeve. Free advertising at a PS event. 👍

Was an excellent idea, and as you said worked:D Might get in a few of the publicity shots with them!

The ISR guy's, who I know havnt got alot of faith around here, praised the feedback/feel of the wheel.

Anyhow the amount of top end wheels and sims these guys play, I value there comments.

Was there any noticeable deadzone in the middle. What I mean is could the ff be felt immediately either side of neutral possition?

Thanks.

Well the DFGT's there were pretty abused, but the deadzone felt tighter than GT5P, and seemed to have good feedback and feel from deadzone to biting point, there was a slight bit of oscillation on one wheel, which led me to think the DFGT had seen better days. Definitely better than GT5P.
Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Ditto. And regarding the force feedback question, too.

EDIT: thanks Madmurdock and everyone else, great info! 👍

Madmurdock
Well the DFGT's there were pretty abused, but the deadzone felt tighter than GT5P, and seemed to have good feedback and feel from deadzone to biting point, there was a slight bit of oscillation on one wheel, which led me to think the DFGT had seen better days. Definitely better than GT5P.
Hope that helps.

thanks for your time.
I bet they were abused lol.
FF is a subjective thing. One mans meat anothers poison etc.
Probably wouldn't have access to the settings anyhow.

does the driving feels more like the GT5P version or the GTAcademy build?

il like realistic driving but in GTA was a bit overwhelming for me. I was driving on ice?

How close to reality are the standard phsychics. is there a realisctic over/understeer.
for example, a real life TVR's are difficult drive in corners. but in GT5P they are very easy to drive on standard. there was no over/understeer at all.

Don't forget the Gallardo isn't a 50-50 split AWD car, more 20-80, so power oversteer can be had, and it won't power understeer as such. Plus it's mid engined so will want to flip around on braking and on throttle off engine braking situations

The fact it is tail happy makes sense. If the old Rufs make it in, watch out :)

The Physics:
Standard physics were good and felt similar to GT5P but with much more feedback and a definite improvement. What I noticed was that you could push the car harder and even on standard there was some good moments of oversteer or understeer that needed a quick reaction to catch.
Pro physics were amazing period.
The handling on pro setting was sublime and far exceeded GT5P in feedback and control. The amount of small inputs that you could apply was immense, with you able to correct small slides with a quick correction but at the same time knowing that if you tried a little harder you'd be off. It was easier to know and feel the limits of the cars than in GT5P but at the same time more precision was needed to drive well. You immediately could feel the improvements in all areas with the cars bouncing over bumps realistically, and sliding and moving about more so than in GT5P, but all the time giving you more feedback, therefore letting you know what the car was doing all the time.
You had so much more input when braking and it felt great for it. The cars dipped and slid and the feeling was immense.
The in-car view looked great with a slight shake giving you more of a sense of immersion.
The feeling of speed was also improved from GT5P, but not too much to be silly and unrealistic.
The thing that stuck in my mind was how much more you could push the cars than you could in GT5P. In GT5P it felt like you couldn't really rag the cars as they had a slight feeling of being on skates.
But this isn't evident at all in GT5. Even on pro you can really give the cars some stick, with a great sense of how ragged you're being. but this didn't take away the difficulty or make it easier at all. It felt better for it and more like how cars really handle than in GT5P.
Overall impression of the handling was WOW with no complaints at all.

Have to say thanks for such a detailed description of the physics engine. I do have a question though.

I have a brand new G25 in the box ready for GT5. Now I bought this because it became apparent to me very quickly that on professional setting you simply needed to use a wheel. Now is this still the case for GT5 because I have some friends who will continue to use the controller who would prefer to play on professional.

You can play Pro with a pad, but it wont be much fun. The limited amount of control travel for powerful cars doesn't jive

Plus the lack of any feedback means your driving "blind"

You can play Pro with a pad, but it wont be much fun. The limited amount of control travel for powerful cars doesn't jive

Plus the lack of any feedback means your driving "blind"
Yes I realise this but I want to know what is the difference between GT5P and the latest build of GT5 using the pad on professional.

Well I went to the PS Beta Rooms yesterday. :grin:

Really great day, casual and good fun.

Was the first one on GT5... and had about 15 mins on it before anyone else wanted a go (due to the slow process of gaining access to the room). Also had plenty more go's during the event.

Graphics:
It looks great, good detail overall with some impressive visual effects, the smoke effects look good, dust, particle, and kicked up debris are all well implemented. The shadowing and car detail is also excellent. Only thing I could fault is that on the Nurburgring, there was some 2d trees visible at slow speeds. But the Nurburgring itself amazing. It's my favourite track and I wasn't disappointed. It was tighter in places and felt more closed in, with excellent shadowing. The bumps and feedback was great and the gritty used look was again fantastic.
2D looked crisp, detailed, gritty and played at 60fps. Played very smooth.
3D looked good and was well implemented, but there was a slight motion blur effect in use that sometimes made it hard to focus. Also 3D runs at 30fps and this was noticeable, the cars just felt slightly less responsive. Not much but in my opinion noticeable and definitely affected the handling. Oh and there is a bonnet view for those that are wondering.

The Physics:
Standard physics were good and felt similar to GT5P but with much more feedback and a definite improvement. What I noticed was that you could push the car harder and even on standard there was some good moments of oversteer or understeer that needed a quick reaction to catch.
The handling on pro setting was sublime and far exceeded GT5P in feedback and control. The amount of small inputs that you could apply was immense, with you able to correct small slides with a quick correction but at the same time knowing that if you tried a little harder you'd be off. It was easier to know and feel the limits of the cars than in GT5P but at the same time more precision was needed to drive well. You immediately could feel the improvements in all areas with the cars bouncing over bumps realistically, and sliding and moving about more so than in GT5P, but all the time giving you more feedback, therefore letting you know what the car was doing all the time.
You had so much more input when braking and it felt great for it. The cars dipped and slid and the feeling was immense.
The in-car view looked great with a slight shake giving you more of a sense of immersion.
The feeling of speed was also improved from GT5P, but not too much to be silly and unrealistic.
The thing that stuck in my mind was how much more you could push the cars than you could in GT5P. In GT5P it felt like you couldn't really rag the cars as they had a slight feeling of being on skates.
But this isn't evident at all in GT5. Even on pro you can really give the cars some stick, with a great sense of how ragged you're being. but this didn't take away the difficulty or make it easier at all. It felt better for it and more like how cars really handle than in GT5P.

Sound:
It was hard to judge the sound due to the events constant music blasting out. But what I did hear was more throaty than in GT5P with a definite improvement in audible engine noise and car engine variation.
The tyre noise was there but not as annoying as in GT5P.
Superior to GT5P? Absolutely.

Damage:
Hard to judge the damage as it was only implemented in the demo in superficial form. It looked good and detailed but the build was not current enough to fully try it's implementation and detriment to the cars physics.
All stuff seen before in numerous videos since E3.

Overall:
Superior to GT5P in every way. Sound is improved with more individuality to the cars engines than in previous iterations, with better tyre squeal too. Handling on standard is improved and on Pro is sublime, and better than GT5P and GTTT. The feedback, input, immersion is all there and in my opinion the best I've felt in any console racing game.

Roll on November.

Well you sir get a thumbs up for your detailed preview. Thanks for taking the time to do write up.. 👍

Indeed. Roll on November.

Yes I realise this but I want to know what is the difference between GT5P and the latest build of GT5 using the pad on professional.

If it's anything like the Time Trial then yes, a big difference, it's a lot more twitchy due to the 1:1 mapping of the stick and the wheels. There is no input smoothing anymore or speed sensitive steering lock limits. Hard left on the pad is full lock on the car no matter what the speed. So you have to be ultra smooth with only a few mm of travel...

I do think PD should slow down the steering speed to match a real car, but that tends to make everything feel laggy, like it does in Enthusia

Bonnet view \o/

It's actually a weird looking roof cam

Last edited:
If it's anything like the Time Trial then yes, a big difference, it's a lot more twitchy due to the 1:1 mapping of the stick and the wheels. There is no input smoothing anymore or speed sensitive steering lock limits. Hard left on the pad is full lock on the car no matter what the speed. So you have to be ultra smooth with only a few mm of travel...

I do think PD should slow down the steering speed to match a real car, but that tends to make everything feel laggy, like it does in Enthusia

Yes the TT was simply a nightmare for pad users. This is why im just wondering if this has changed at all for GT5.

Personally I feel everyone should get a wheel whatever settings they use. I purchased my G25 because it didn't seem right to play GT5 on my Sony Bravia and then ruin the experience by using a pad. Im asking the question on behalf of my friends rather than for myself.

Don't forget the Gallardo isn't a 50-50 split AWD car, more 20-80, so power oversteer can be had, and it won't power understeer as such. Plus it's mid engined so will want to flip around on braking and on throttle off engine braking situations

The fact it is tail happy makes sense. If the old Rufs make it in, watch out :)

Actually, it is. Under normal condition it's 30/70 but when the need calls for it it can send a max of 50% to the front. I doubt however that GT5 has variable TQ splits for the cars that have that system. They most likely have one and that's it.

The Physics:

Fantastic impressions Mr. Madness! Sounds like the package is coming along well and there's less to be concerned about going forward.

I too will be playing with a pad...I actually don't like my steering wheel...so I guess that for Pro physics I'll be at a disadvantage from the off.

HOWEVER, with patience and time do you think it's possible to be reasonably competitive using a pad? I know the Nissan TT was pretty tough with a pad.

this comment makes me feel in paradise!👍

Last edited:
Fantastic impressions Mr. Madness! Sounds like the package is coming along well and there's less to be concerned about going forward.

I too will be playing with a pad...I actually don't like my steering wheel...so I guess that for Pro physics I'll be at a disadvantage from the off.

HOWEVER, with patience and time do you think it's possible to be reasonably competitive using a pad? I know the Nissan TT was pretty tough with a pad.

I was about a 1 second slower on average with a pad, but it was hard to keep from breaking traction coming out of turns, and the more laps you do, the harder it is to maintain a good average time for all laps. For enduros, forget it!

You'll chew through tyres like nothing using a pad. And hopefully GT5 will utilise tyre temps properly, so you can't drive on the limit and break traction every lap if you want to keep your tyres in good shape

Last edited:
The guy with the 1:42.7 time on apocalypse was there till the end, with me and Venari.
He held his time until a guy sitting on the other TV, who was the penultimate player of the entire event, did a 1:40.
To say he was sickened doesn't really do it justice.
No £3K telly for you, Josh.

That should answer your question, Raceworx.
Nice almera, btw.

:irked:👍

Back