My DC2 Integra replica cockpit build

• Thread starter ArcticDC5
  • 100 comments
ArcticDC5
So I'm anxiously awaiting GT5 to come out in November and I stumbled upon Chilicoke's cockpit for inspiration for me to build one. I don't have any experience working with metals, but have lots of wood experience and had to take that route.

First things first. I love my Acura RSX (the predessor to the Integra), but RSX parts are not cheap. My local junkyard doesn't even have any on site, but quite a few BA and DC2 Integras. So I grabbed a passenger seat out of a wrecked DC2. The passenger seat will usually be less worn out than the drivers side. (4) bolts hold the seat into place and it came right out

Here's the donor Integra (R.I.P.)
seatwrecked.jpg

And now we have the seat removed from the interior
seat2.jpg

Here's the DC2 seat all cleaned up. The good thing about a real car seat is they can recline, and move forwards backwards with ease. Plus this is a deal at $30 USD at my local junkyard
63848_1631615994505_1359794548_31642439_282066_n.jpg

Ok, so it's time to start construction of this setup. I first took measurements of my RSX interior (width, length, distance from pedals, steering wheel height, etc.) I then cut out a piece of 3/4" plywood to the ideal size I wanted.

63848_1631615954504_1359794548_31642438_2711521_n.jpg

Once the plywood was cut to size, I made a frame (shown with additional support for directly underneath the seat mount)
63848_1631616114508_1359794548_31642442_3796925_n.jpg

Next up was fabricating the seat rail mounts for the Integra seat. This was tricky as the front was 25 degrees and the rear was 27 degrees, then one rear corner was flat and raised up.
63848_1631616074507_1359794548_31642441_7833561_n.jpg

Next thing I did was measure multiple times to make sure I had plenty of clearance for the dash and console. I then positioned the seat on the base and attached the seat rail mounts, they are a very tight fit too...
63848_1631616154509_1359794548_31642443_709558_n.jpg

63848_1631616234511_1359794548_31642445_8049471_n.jpg

63848_1631616274512_1359794548_31642446_7287395_n.jpg

Now here is what the seat looks like mounted on the freshly started platform awaiting a console and dashboard.
63848_1631616194510_1359794548_31642444_3843667_n.jpg

So trying to think how I can make a center console to look nice and be comfortable out of wood construction was an issue for me. Lightbulb goes off in my head and I head back to the junkyard a few weeks later for a center console.

Ironically I find an identical 4dr dark blue Integra thats there at the yard. The drivers side door was hit, so I managed to work only being in the passenger area and moving the drivers seat to get access to a few screws.

(R.I.P.) Integra donor car #2 for the center console
integra3.jpg

Once I undid a few screws on the side and connecting the dashboard, I managed to get it out, even though I had trouble since the gear shifter was stuck forward and had to get creative by turning it out. What was bad was there was some shattered glass I was working around and got a glass "splinter" in my finger when cleaning up the parts at home. Use caution at the junk yard as there is lots of debris on the ground, hazardous conditions (sharp metals, broken glass, etc.) I wore safety glasses just in case.
integra1.jpg

And here is the console assembly cleaned up pieced together. Even has an armrest pad and I got the parking brake out also and will wire that up to the G27 shifter circuit board.
integra2.jpg

Whats going to be challenging is it's curved on the bottom, so I am going to have to get creative on mounting it.

Great idea.

I'll keep an eye on your progress.
I want to see how you attach the dash, or at least what parts from it your using.

I just saw your latest post, I'm curious how to install the console as well.

I'm not very creative, someone here at GTPlanet will probably have an idea.

Good luck and welcome to GTPlanet. 👍

For fun you should put some fans behind the AC vents to keep you cool while racing. Should also add a switch to the dash button. I wish I could do something like this. 👍
At first I thought you were going to use the entire car....lol

So far so good. Keep us posted!

That could of saved a lot of time if you just wanted to change the wheel, stick and mount a monitor to the car. The first ever in-car simulator?

For fun you should put some fans behind the AC vents to keep you cool while racing. Should also add a switch to the dash button. I wish I could do something like this. 👍

That could of saved a lot of time if you just wanted to change the wheel, stick and mount a monitor to the car. The first ever in-car simulator?

I tried something like the fan thing... I wanted to make race car like vents that shoot air.. Never found a good/efficient way of doing it.

Just use PC fans like this one. Nearly silent, from my experience high cfm fans like this one will push 2 feet of air when using it on 12 volts, and you can use a power supply such as this one to power these fans. You can follow a tutorial here on how to turn the power supply on without a computer hooked up. All you would have to do is hook up a switch behind the dashboard button and you will turn the fans on.

Last edited:
Just use PC fans like this one. Nearly silent, from my experience high cfm fans like this one will push 2 feet of air when using it on 12 volts, and you can use a power supply such as this one to power these fans. You can follow a tutorial here on how to turn the power supply on without a computer hooked up. All you would have to do is hook up a switch behind the dashboard button and you will turn the fans on.

Yes of course you could do that but I was looking for some real air pushing/moving force, not just a pc fan. Like in a real car...

Yes of course you could do that but I was looking for some real air pushing/moving force, not just a pc fan. Like in a real car...

Hook a centrifugal fan up to the existing ventilation system under the dash?

Ok, so I found a used DC2 dashboard from a seller on an internet bulletin board. Also got a radio that'll fit nicely in there too from a DC2. Now it's a matter of planning out how I'm going to mount and support the dash and console, which will be next weekend...

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

Ok, so i got around to mounting the center console onto the platform (~3 hours). The tough part is I had to elevate the console 4" since that is how it is in the real DC2 Integra. I had to cut multiple pieces using precise measurements for the support pieces. I also made a shelf for the parking brake and logitech gearshifter to mount to. The gear shifter fit perfect into the stock opening of the console. Now I gotta figure out how to make it look somewhat pretty after the dash gets mounted in a few days...

67505_1652328112295_1359794548_31684107_2695180_n.jpg

33462_1652327752286_1359794548_31684105_251797_n.jpg

Have you thought of fiberglassing the shifter to make it look flushed mount? If I had enough room I would have used a DC2 as well!

Curious, what are the dimensions for the platform?

subscribed ... this looks like it could be epic!

..btw, are you on clubrsx?

Yes, my username is KevinG

I think the hard part is to fit the wheel to the dashboard.

I am going to make a wood support system holding the steering wheel that will fit through the steering column opening in the dash. It will attach to the structure that will be holding up the dashboard.

Have you thought of fiberglassing the shifter to make it look flushed mount? If I had enough room I would have used a DC2 as well!

Curious, what are the dimensions for the platform?

Yeah, I thought about that or making a leather boot to go around the thing. I did a fiberglass project this summer and it's VERY time consuming and sloppy too!

Dimensions are: 29" Wide x 54" Long

Ughh, why did you have to say the dimensions were that small... I thought it would have been a lot bigger than my 3' x 5' base I was considering. Now, I'm not sure if I want to do one like wayside's or do a real dash.

great job so far, cant wait to see the finished project, when i did my chilicoke inspired rig i thought the same thing about my base, my base was only 1.3metres by .75metres, but you dont need it any bigger

Well you're using an actual car's dash, it'll be interesting to see how you're gonna mount it.

I bet you'll end up building the roll-cage as well.

I know in the US there are a few good wood to plastic bonding glues. Also you could cut an outline of the dash in the wood that the dash would slide into the wood.

I'm interested as well how he will do it.

Love where you're going with these! I see lots of potential! Keep it up and keep us posted!!

Intersting so far...

Nice to see some imagination and not just another Chilicoke copy, not that their bad but just nice to see fresh ideas.

Back