Fanatec PWTS Firmware Question

• Thread starter Meurig
  • 76 comments
Cheers for the update LostRacer and thanks for the previous update. If I could just clairify a couple of things.

1. I gather the old PWT dongle (original) does not work with GT5?

2. The PWTS dongle does work but still no deadzone, so wheel shake on the straights and (apparently) a very touchy brake pedal?

I'm thinking this might be more trouble than it's worth. The PWTS sounds like a much better option with more opportunity to update in an ongoing capacity. Trouble is I can't get my hands one easily :-(

Thanks for your help on this.

The GT2 replaced the PWTS and has all the same features.

The CSR is newer still, with a lighter, faster wheel and better paddles. It loses compatibility with the wireless dongle though. It still works over USB.

Cheers for the update LostRacer and thanks for the previous update. If I could just clairify a couple of things.

1. I gather the old PWT dongle (original) does not work with GT5?

2. The PWTS dongle does work but still no deadzone, so wheel shake on the straights and (apparently) a very touchy brake pedal?

I'm thinking this might be more trouble than it's worth. The PWTS sounds like a much better option with more opportunity to update in an ongoing capacity. Trouble is I can't get my hands one easily :-(

Thanks for your help on this.

Glad I could help. My PWT just comitted suicide. The motor is going bad in the wheel, so I go from nice FFB to free spin randomly :(. It was a nice wheel to use though. :) And yess that shakiness can drive you bonkers. lol. I never hada problem with the braking. Debating on the CSR now.

Glad I could help. My PWT just comitted suicide. The motor is going bad in the wheel, so I go from nice FFB to free spin randomly :(. It was a nice wheel to use though. :) And yes that shakiness can drive you bonkers. lol. I never hada problem with the braking. Debating on the CSR now.

Cheers for the help. I have one final subjective question to ask. My option for a PWT is quite cheap and it really won't be used heaps (so I can't justify a GT2 for instance). So is it a worthwhile option for running primarily with GT5? I mean the shaking would obviously be better not there, but is it a good wheel/pedal/shifter setup overall? Is it still drivable and fun? And are there any games that work really well without setable deadzone on the wheel - perhaps where you can set the deadzone within the game? That would no doubt help, yeah?

Or do you reckon a better option might be the Carrera wheel set?
Upside = upgradeable firmware, settable deadzone.
Downside = noisy, not-so-smooth drive system, no wireless, no sequential shifter, lower quality components all round.

As a PWT owner (well, ex-owner...) I'd really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited:
The GT2 replaced the PWTS and has all the same features.

The CSR is newer still, with a lighter, faster wheel and better paddles. It loses compatibility with the wireless dongle though. It still works over USB.

Cheers for the update, and I would love a GT2 or a CSR, but for the amount of use it will be getting I just cannot justify it unfortunately. My budget is slender and the pickings are slim down here in New Zealand... :irked:

I'd go with the Carrera setup. Its a newer wheel and has more compatabilities with the new pedals and accessories to come. The PWT would leave you stuck unfortunately. Its not able to use any of the other pedals and is pretty much heading to the shelf queen lifestyle. :)

I'd go with the Carrera setup. Its a newer wheel and has more compatabilities with the new pedals and accessories to come. The PWT would leave you stuck unfortunately. Its not able to use any of the other pedals and is pretty much heading to the shelf queen lifestyle. :)

Yeah I agree with the options for upgrade and such like, but I'm not really interested in that. It would be used complete - never upgraded - until such time as I got sick of it. Or it commited hari-kari :)

I just like all the features it has etc, for the money. I mean did it drive OK generally? Did the shaky wheel really detract THAT much from the driving experience etc?

Would YOU go there again if you had the option on a really cheap one?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's just nice to get some solid feedback 👍

I thought it was great intro into wheels for the price. If I could do it again I would. If you don't have an xbox and PS3/PC is all your going to do, it will work fine. Just keep in mind it is dated ;). The shaking only made my arms bigger :) lol

I thought it was great intro into wheels for the price. If I could do it again I would. If you don't have an xbox and PS3/PC is all your going to do, it will work fine. Just keep in mind it is dated ;). The shaking only made my arms bigger :) lol

Hahaha - sweet! For me this is largely an intro. I had an early FFB logitech with the original GT, so it's kinda like a rebirth. I would only use it with PS3 so no probs there. And dated... I'll go with RETRO :) hahaha

I guess the only issue for me is how bad the shaking really is. I can't quantify that. Did it really detract that much from the game? Or did you just get used to it as part of the whole package? Cheers.

hey guys just got my csr i'm using it for forza4 (i have t 500 for gt5) but it seems that the csr ffb dont kick in until car slams into a wall then it kicks on any1 else havivg this problem.can it be firmware?

Hahaha - sweet! For me this is largely an intro. I had an early FFB logitech with the original GT, so it's kinda like a rebirth. I would only use it with PS3 so no probs there. And dated... I'll go with RETRO :) hahaha

I guess the only issue for me is how bad the shaking really is. I can't quantify that. Did it really detract that much from the game? Or did you just get used to it as part of the whole package? Cheers.

It was never really too bad except for with the Redbull car. Thats when it became really noticeable. Even then though I didn't drive that car too much so it was anon-factor for me.

It was never really too bad except for with the Redbull car. Thats when it became really noticeable. Even then though I didn't drive that car too much so it was anon-factor for me.

All good! I reckon I just might give it a whirl. Loadsa thanks for your insights into this wee beastie 👍

One last thing though, I put a message to Thomas and he indicated that if I got the new dongle it would require a change to the wheel. WTF??? I was under the impression that to get compatibility with GT5 it was best to buy a new wireless dongle (the one for PWTS I think) and then you no longer had to change the system date on PS3 nor mess about with upgrading dongle firmware. And that apparently just WORKED.

What was your experience? I gather you must have replaced the supplied PWT dongle? Please tell me it just works... :nervous:

Only thing I had to do was buy a PWTS dongle and bind the wheel and pedals to it. Other than that I didn't need to do anything else.

Only thing I had to do was buy a PWTS dongle and bind the wheel and pedals to it. Other than that I didn't need to do anything else.

SWEET!!! That is exactly how I thought it all worked. Too much information from too many sources can get contradictory :ouch: Cheers for clarifying it for me :)

I have now decided to go ahead with the wheel purchase. Then tee up a PWTS dongle and a Rennsport wheel stand from the local supplier. Happy Days!!! I love it when a plan comes together... 👍

Some other stuff that would prove useful:

1. What games, other than GT5, did you tend to use?
2. Any that you would recommend, or any you would steer clear of?
3. Some games have deadzone settings in-game - do these work well with this wheel? <I would assume so...>
4. Where might I find a list of driving SIMs that offer deadzone in-game? <I'm struggling to get an answer on that one>

I do believe that is the last of my questions. Cheers for helping out. You have really helped to crystalise my decision and for that I am very grateful :) :) :)

Last edited:
1. I used it on GT5 ,Dirt3, NFS Shift 2(Got rid of this one) and GRID. I have others on PC I use it for as well.

2. Shift 2 sucks. My opinion of course :) But it really all depends on your race preferences.

3. I don't use deadzone. Can't answer that one. Sorry.

4. No clue.

Most PC games if you play those offer a deadzone. Glad I can help you out. Get it and get racing!!

Nice one!! Unfortunately I already have a copy of Shift 2 coming (it was cheap - I wonder why...) Might consign that one out early. Will have a snoop at the others. I had noticed some snippets about NFS games having optional settings for deadzone, so I have a couple of those coming. And F1 2011. Just.... well because. I neva been a big fan, but I'll give it a go 👍

Hey thanks for all your help with my multitude of queries. I appreciate all the positive help you have been able to offer. If I get puzzled over anything related in the future I do hope you don't mind me firing a question your way!! :)

Back