The damage system in GT5 (update : Mechanical Damage arrived only for online races)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,071 comments
I just picked GT5 up yesterday and was amused by the lack of damage. I've been playing racing games for some 15 years now, some with damage models and some without. I just got done playing a ton of FM3, and the lack of damage in GT5 is just laughable. Admittedly I was getting used to the PS3 controller again for driving (the 360 controller is SO much better for racing games IMO) and I'd temporarily confuse my brake button with the shift down button. Caused me to smack walls at 50+ mph a few times. In other games (e.g., FM3, Race Pro, Pro Race Driver on PSP/Xbox, etc), my car would be rendered highly crippled, if not toast. But in true GT1-GT4 fashion, I was on my merry way.

Turn on mechanical damage then..... only in arcade, practise and online modes though

And GT2 did have mechanical damage

i am level 27 and i have yet to see the damage in all those youtube vids from last year i have never seen the hood of a rally car rip off or anything
so dissapointing... what happened?

Major flipping and rolling :)

Mount Murder SkyRing track strikes again! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBlQC8sTVEc

Anyway from my tests, you can't flip or roll Standard cars :grumpy:

See, I want to do this and then have my car be completely trashed beyond words. PD don't seem to understand what a damaged car looks like. I've seen a car reverse into a lamp post and be more wrecked than this GT-R which just rolled and bounced all over the place.

See, I want to do this and then have my car be completely trashed beyond words. PD don't seem to understand what a damaged car looks like. I've seen a car reverse into a lamp post and be more wrecked than this GT-R which just rolled and bounced all over the place.

Even if they wanted to, there are lot of licensing and contractual issues here.
You can't ever intrude on the occupant space.

Just imagine how much of headache it is trying to organise things with all the car companies. My guess is they can only do damage up to the point of the company that has the most objections.

remember that mimaximax video with the FT-86 with its doors flapping open? I wish damage was like that in the final version.

Also, with cars whose hoods (and trunks) open, why can't the aforementioned parts completely come off?

remember that mimaximax video with the FT-86 with its doors flapping open? I wish damage was like that in the final version.

Also, with cars whose hoods (and trunks) open, why can't the aforementioned parts completely come off?

Some cars do have doors that come off, and they do fall off, see various GT5 rally car videos. It isn't common thing in real life anyway, doors tend to jam from deformation rather than pop open

Judging by your user name, you like to smash, well GT5 is not the game for you ;)

To me the worst thing about the damage system is that your pit crew doesnt fix visual damage

Its stupid to see a tore up NASCAR stock car run fast laps and look like its been mauled

One of the urgent things that need to be patched

Patched up cars in real life still look damaged in Enduros, to make it look pristine, you need to go to the panelbeaters.

Before
4_03.jpg

after
4_01.jpg

In my post I wasn't talking about doors. I was talking about hoods and trunks (if applicable)

Just imagine how much of headache it is trying to organise things with all the car companies. My guess is they can only do damage up to the point of the company that has the most objections.

Has anyone actually confirmed this myth??

many other games have managed to have more damage on the same cars and i haven't seen any law suit that i know of?

Patched up cars in real life still look damaged in Enduros, to make it look pristine, you need to go to the panelbeaters.

Depends on the car, a "kit"car like a LMP could be nearly destroyed but return to the track an hour later looking brand new

NASCAR 2003 they would just cut off severely damaged bumpers or hood. This would permanently hamper your speed and downforce. But they would reshape lightly damaged parts with minimal permanent speed and downforce loss

Thats a bit too hardcore for GT, I expect full visual damage repair at some point

Has anyone actually confirmed this myth??

many other games have managed to have more damage on the same cars and i haven't seen any law suit that i know of?

Games that have more damage, or unlimited damage don't have to get permission for one of two reasons:

1) They are race cars, which can NOT be held under the jurisdiction of a car company, but rather the racing association that is associated with that race car.

or

2) The don't use brand names or specific model names on the vehicles in the game. If they don't use the brand or model names, but just have a 3D model that resembles a real world car, they can do whatever they want because only the brand and specific model names fall under the jurisdiction of the car company. For example: Grid.

Yeah I know that. I remember reading not that long ago that GT never had damage because of contractual issues with the manufacturers and not, as I originally believed, because PD simply didn't bother adding it in.

Doesn't stop me wishing though :D

One thing i noticed the other day at the Nurburgring is that, occasionally, a premium car that has taken even a very LIGHT rear end hit can have its reversing lights stop working, though the first time this happened it was only the ONE that stopped working.

Can cars be slowed down because of damage in A-spec Enduros. I did the 4hr Nurburgring 2 nights ago in the M3 GTR Race Car. I don't know the course well so on the first few laps I went off a few times. The back end got beat in substantially. On about lap 10 I was able to get a 8:25 lap time. Despite getting more confident and feeling faster I was never able to get better than 8:35 from lap 15 on. The tires were the same and neither the oil or the engine light were on. On the long straight I was able to reach 165 or so on the first few laps, but later in the game I could barely top 150. I see numerous posts on this site saying there is no mechanical damage in A-Spec. However, I can't find any other reason for why my lap times increased despite much better driving and my top speed decreased by about 10%.

Has anybody else experienced this?

In a perfect world, GT5 would have NFS Porsche's damage model.
It's both esthetical and mechanical, but you can choose to repair the car for "x" amount of money, more precisely, choose which parts you want to repair.
You could even have damaged cars in the UCD, buy them and perform a "restoration".

My two cents...

Can cars be slowed down because of damage in A-spec Enduros. I did the 4hr Nurburgring 2 nights ago in the M3 GTR Race Car. I don't know the course well so on the first few laps I went off a few times. The back end got beat in substantially. On about lap 10 I was able to get a 8:25 lap time. Despite getting more confident and feeling faster I was never able to get better than 8:35 from lap 15 on. The tires were the same and neither the oil or the engine light were on. On the long straight I was able to reach 165 or so on the first few laps, but later in the game I could barely top 150. I see numerous posts on this site saying there is no mechanical damage in A-Spec. However, I can't find any other reason for why my lap times increased despite much better driving and my top speed decreased by about 10%.

Has anybody else experienced this?

It seems that even with mechanical damage off and just visual damage, the car is negatively affected by aerodynamics problems caused by bits sticking out, and even on standard cars where you can't see the problem, many times i've crashed a car and then had to constantly adjust to the right on straights because it would drift off to the left

Can cars be slowed down because of damage in A-spec Enduros. I did the 4hr Nurburgring 2 nights ago in the M3 GTR Race Car. Has anybody else experienced this?

Not only does this happen in endurance races but also in A-spec, online and arcade mode races. If you highlight the damage options in arcade mode after choosing your car, the game tells you that cosmetic damage affects aerodynamics even if mechanical damage is off. Like you, I also did the Nürburgring 4 hr race a few nights ago and wasn't able to achieve my best lap after I crashed trying to make my tyres last longer (7 - 8 laps). I was driving a bone stock Audi R8 LMS (racing hard tyres, stock suspension/LSD/transmission/aerodynamics and ABS off). My best lap was 8:32.xxx and after I crashed, I tried so hard to match my best time but I only managed 8:37.xxx and my average was 8:38.xxx-8:39.xxx.

Last edited:
Back