The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
how can you tell if you got an old or new revision unit?

isn't it written on the brown box or under the steering wheel? i can't say for sure since i have a launch model which is hard mounted, and my box is stored away.. sorry i am too lazy, maybe some1 else can confirm

how can you tell if you got an old or new revision unit?

The base of the wheel clamp side or on the bottom of the original product box.

Ferrari F1 wheel... back of the wheel below the hub or on the bottom of the original product box.

my fan gets a little noisy with my T500rs but I almost always wear headphones or blast the sound system. so it only annoys me when it's idle while I'm off watching tV. I just unplug it

Anyway some new posts I've seen at iRacing. I'm leaving out the names / identities of these people. This is from t500rs thread. Still not very many complaints but the community there is smaller than GTP

Well, my T500RS finally have a piece broke last night. It was left paddle that no longer working.

It was working earlier as I raced Legends at Summit Point and when it's finished I went to try out Street Stock at South Boston - the left paddle just stopped working. I tried everything such as reboot PC, unplugged USB and power, and updated firmware to V38 - the left paddle remains dead.

I just sent tech support a require for assistance and I hope they can get it fixed or replace or whatever.

I´ve changed my T500 today for a new one, because the cooling fans where so loud.

Now I have a new T500, but after a few rounds driving I don´t hear any fans anymore. Strange..

Had nothing but trouble from mine. It's about 4 months old and I'm about to replace the pedals.

After about one month, my shifters started malfunctioning severely. Occasionally it would refuse to send signals and I couldnt downshift. Other times, it would send the signal twice, and I'd "double-downshift", locking my rears and/or busting my engine. I "solved" this by pulling the wheel apart and flipping the upshift for the downshift. It causes less race problems this way, now I lose maybe a tenth instead of a whole race.

But now the pedals have died. I was happy with them, for a spring set they seemed quite sturdy and accurate, but the throttle started feeling very spongy about a week ago. By yesterday, it was not even staying with my foot when I lifted. No force whatsoever - and when it "hit" the top, zero throttle... it bounced, or sagged, back down to about 60% throttle. Then it bounced back up, and back down... Occasionally it "sticks" at 20-35% when I try to lift, understeering me off the track.

Perhaps my explanation isnt that great, but I'm unbelievably disappointed with the whole thing.

People are asking about the pedals not working. This is something I've never heard of before myself.

I have 2 sets of T500's and one set has pretty much sat since new, maybe 6-8 hours on it. The 1st set has been hammered quite hard and so far so good, in other words no issues at all.

I have used CSP's with it so the T500 pedals are just sitting ATM. I am happy so far with the T500's but like anything they will eventually wear out, some faster then others.

my fan gets a little noisy with my T500rs but I almost always wear headphones or blast the sound system. so it only annoys me when it's idle while I'm off watching tV. I just unplug it

Anyway some new posts I've seen at iRacing. I'm leaving out the names / identities of these people. This is from t500rs thread. Still not very many complaints but the community there is smaller than GTP

People are asking about the pedals not working. This is something I've never heard of before myself.

Although the frequency of issues is important of course, for me the service from the company resolving the issues is equally or more important. In that Thrustmaster seems to do well.

That was the deciding factor for me.

quick update on load cells for T500rs. John Bodin is still working on the mod. When it is done I'll post an update. No pics yet. I asked him to get it to work with ps3 but not sure.

from iRacing forum:

My first prototype will be based on the Bodinhausen adapter, using the pedals in standalone mode with a Bodnar cable/box; I will also be incorporating the ability to do a direct connection to the T500RS wheel with this initial prototype, and if that works I'll be able to answer questions about the pedal mode swich (I don't think that will cause any issues, because that just seems to swap the clutch/throttle, with no impact on the brake pedal).

The load cell mod should be compatible with both the floor-mounted (F1) and suspended (GT) positions for the pedals -- it doesn't look like the load cell mounting scheme will have any impact on the pedal position, so the pedals will remain as versatile as they are in stock mode.

edit-->

Although the frequency of issues is important of course, for me the service from the company resolving the issues is equally or more important. In that Thrustmaster seems to do well.

That was the deciding factor for me.

right on every time I contacted them I've had a great experience

Last edited:
Sorry to break the flow of discussion, but does anyone know how to adjust the spacing between the t500rs pedals? I looked at the manual and it didn't make sense to me. It gave me the exact same instructions to adjust spacing as it was for adjusting pedal height!??

Is it just me or does anyone else think that T500RS is a huge optical illusion?
I swear on the pictures it looks huge, as if the rim was 14"...I guess it's the huge base, thin rim, huge paddle shifters and racy shape.

Sorry to break the flow of discussion, but does anyone know how to adjust the spacing between the t500rs pedals? I looked at the manual and it didn't make sense to me. It gave me the exact same instructions to adjust spacing as it was for adjusting pedal height!??

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/Manuals/T500RS/T500_RS_User_Manual.pdf

349ewyp.jpg

2guh34i.jpg

The pedals only move an inch or two.. Undue the Allen head screws on the face of the pedals, then move the pedals, re insert the screws..Make sure to put the spacer back in (behind pedal)..

I wrapped a towel around the base of the pedals, so the screws could not fall in when loosened..

Or look up.. Tree'ed:)👍 Awesome diagram@ WildRun 👍

I'm just curious - will the actions done here be written into the memory of the wheel or do they only affect the wheel if I'm playing games on my PC?

Last edited:
Mr. S
I'm just curious - will the actions done here be written into the memory of the wheel or do they only affect the wheel if I'm playing games on my PC?

No setting changes on the wheel set via the PC will change anything on the console. The console is pretty much that your stuck with what you get unless you can make changes in the game's settings menu.

No setting changes on the wheel set via the PC will change anything on the console. The console is pretty much that your stuck with what you get unless you can make changes in the game's settings menu.

Right...just hoping the F1 rim will cause the wheel to set the wheel to something like 540° or so instead of 1080° in F1 2011. :)

Mr. S
Right...just hoping the F1 rim will cause the wheel to set the wheel to something like 540° or so instead of 1080° in F1 2011. :)

Don't have F1 2011 on PS3. I set it on 270 degrees on PC though. So yeah, can't really say what is used on the PS3.

Did you use the rFactor settings from the Thrustmaster tech support site? But yes it is indeed a whole new feeling, at least it was for me coming from a G25.

Did you use the rFactor settings from the Thrustmaster tech support site? But yes it is indeed a whole new feeling, at least it was for me coming from a G25.

No, i didnt. I will take a look today.

I know i got some plug-ins instaled (real something ).

I looks like ps3 gives much less information to the wheel.

Might sound stupid but is it possible to use the realistic brake mod on the clutch pedal? I can't properly reach the pedal in the middle due to the middle bar on my PlaySeat. I'd simply put the mod underneath the clutch instead of the brake. Any advice on how to solve this best?

Nah, you can't to be honest. This is due to the fact that there aren't enough screw holes on the clutch to screw it down properly. And since the screws are thin I wouldn't try to use two screws alone to tighten it down as they might snap under the stress (which is twice as high as compared to using 4 screws).
The best thing would be to take it all apart and switch the pedal assembly around. That is if it doesn't void warrenty and if you feel skilled enough to do so. Plus I don't know if it is a possibility at all as I haven't tried but figured that things that can be assembled can be disassembled as well. ;)

Edit: never mind, screwing both pedals together with a plate is a bad idea since they're not having the same resistance.

Back