Eddy's PVC Rig from start to finish - (Inspired by SIMUL8R) - Now with Insturctions!

• Thread starter SlowEddy
  • 284 comments
eddyguna1
***Edit click here if my pictures don't show up ====> http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/edguna1/GT5%20Project/?start=0

So here is the start to finish build of my PVC Rig - see post number 2 for drawings and DIY instructions - I will be updating it over time since I'm not 100% finished with the drawings

I was originally going to build something out of extruded aluminum / 8020 stuff but stumbled upon SIMUL8R's PVC gaming race pod which can be found here.
http://lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28016&st=0

so I went the PVC route and made a few design changes of my own. It took me roughly 2 months to finish from start to finish - i took my time since GT5 was delayed

I am still planning to add a butt kicker and the Fanatec club sport shifter whenever that comes out

Started off creating a 3D model using SIMUL8R's original design
20101007PVCFrame1.jpg

Finished and photo rendered
20101007PVCFrame3.jpg

I wanted to make it more portable and easier to move around the house so created front and rear sections of the frame
Front
20101017PVCmk2Base2.jpg

Front + Rear

Full assembly
20101017PVCmk2basefrontassem1.jpg

Photo render 1
20101019PVCmk2Render.jpg

Photo render 2
20101018PVCmk2Render.jpg

I started fabricating components using a hack saw, miter box, and Dremmel
73192_457176554123_504169123_5280468_4586321_n.jpg

Front Assembly built to Spec
20101024fab5.jpg

20101024fab6.jpg

Progress!!!
20101024fab7.jpg

Progress on the Rear assembly
201010306.jpg

Front and Rear assemblies
73192_457176554123_504169123_5280468_4586321_n.jpg

With seat and wheel mount
201010308.jpg

I realized the seat was too high with the my initial design so i had to change it

making use of old text books to figure out a a better seat height
76877_463890579123_504169123_5401850_7244712_n.jpg

I also Decided to wrap everything in 3M-Di-Noc carbon fiber film. Its pretty expensive but pretty nice stuff
Real CF on the left and right, 3M stuff in the middle
20101027carbon1.jpg

Wheel mount - made out of MDF - used the factory template for mounting wholes
201010303.jpg

201010311.jpg

Wrapped in 3M Carbon fiber
201010313.jpg

With my wheel mounted
201010315.jpg

201010314.jpg

The entire frame wrapped with 3M Carbon fiber
201011121.jpg

Pedal mounts made from 3/8" thick scarp press wood I found
2010111403.jpg

Finished
2010111404.jpg

Mounted to the front assembly using 2X U-bolts
2010111407.jpg

Wheels & Pedals
2010111408.jpg

Seat mount - also made from scrap 3/8" press wood
2010111402.jpg

bolted onto the rear assembly
2010112101.jpg

Seat mounted
2010112102.jpg

there's plenty of room in the back for a butt-kicker
2010112103.jpg

This is why i hate gluing!!! - parts didn't fit - so the rear section is glued together and the majority of the front section is bolted with 1/4" bolts
2010112001.jpg

after having the re-cut / glue / paint and assembly its finialy Completed!
2010112104.jpg

2010112105a.jpg

Been playing quite some time with it on GT5 now - its great! :sly:

thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Last edited:
That's a stellar build diary. Very nice work. You've taken PVC to a new level with the carbon fiber-look wrap. I also really like how the wheel deck came out.

Great work. Looks awesome. Love the carbon fiber.

Do you have a shifter mount?

no I didn't make one yet, I Probably wont make one until i get a shifter.
but i can tell you know that the mount will probably consist of some MDF and a U-bolt strapped to the side of the rig

Well, I havent glued any of it yet, but it is assembled! I'm kinda worried about the gluing part since once its done, its done....I'm scared about gluing something crooked that will affect things fitting later on in the assembly. Still, a big HUGE thank you to SlowEddy as well as Simil8r. Thanks for posting these ideas and projects. It makes it incredibly easy thanks to sharing your plans and experiences when building these.

I did change only one thing as a possible future mod that I dont know if I'll ever do or not. I wanted the possibility of being able to create an additional flat area behind where the wheel mounts so I could set a monitor or drink or whatever if I ever desired by adding a Y fitting on the riser in the front (and for now just capping it off).

Posting pics here in a few.

Andretti

SlowEddy,

After reading through SIMUL8R's initial posting, I was really hoping you'd contribute a follow-up. I'm very thankful and pleased that you did. I do have a question, however, and it pertains specifically to the pedal mounting.

I noticed that in your initial render, it appears that one of your modifications was to reverse mount the pedals. This was a modification to the design that I was intending on as well:

But in subsequent renderings, I notice that you opted to stick with the initial pedal mount design:

What made you reconsider your approach? Also, I know that SIMUL8R had a parts list, but I was hoping that you might be able to post a definitive list of the materials that you started with as a sort of shopping list.

Thank you kindly in advance, and thank you again for sharing your awesome creation.

That's a really sweet rig!!! Question: how much did all of the materials run you for the setup you have as is?

Hi I'm new and was just wondering is this sturdy? Like are you able to go full force on the wheel without it moving? It looks sick as hell. I wanna try and build. Really appreciate the plans. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
SlowEddy,

After reading through SIMUL8R's initial posting, I was really hoping you'd contribute a follow-up. I'm very thankful and pleased that you did. I do have a question, however, and it pertains specifically to the pedal mounting.

I noticed that in your initial render, it appears that one of your modifications was to reverse mount the pedals. This was a modification to the design that I was intending on as well:

But in subsequent renderings, I notice that you opted to stick with the initial pedal mount design:

What made you reconsider your approach? Also, I know that SIMUL8R had a parts list, but I was hoping that you might be able to post a definitive list of the materials that you started with as a sort of shopping list.

Thank you kindly in advance, and thank you again for sharing your awesome creation.

Hey Rob, the only reason why I decided to do the standard pedal mount instead inverted was because I didn't want to take apart my brand new Club-sport pedals (they're really nice as it is) - but I still kept in mind for possible future modifications - I bolted the PVC pedal mounts to the frame so I can take it apart and invert the pedals in the future if i ever decide to.

20101206bolts.jpg

I also have a parts list - it's usable but contains a few extra parts that I never used (mostly fasteners). I will eventualy create a final one and post it here
but if you really want the list i have now I can PM it to you

That's a really sweet rig!!! Question: how much did all of the materials run you for the setup you have as is?

- I spent about $170CND on PVC parts alone
- About $30 on Fasteners (I didn't use all of them tho)
- the MDF & press wood were scrap pieces (but should be pretty cheap stuff to buy)

The Recaro seat and 3M carbon fiber = a lot :crazy: ... those 2 items add a lot to the grand total - which is more than having an Obutto shipped to my door

Hi I'm new and was just wondering is this sturdy? Like are you able to go full force on the wheel without it moving? It looks sick as hell. I wanna try and build. Really appreciate the plans. Thank you.

yes it is very sturdy I have the force feed back on my Fanatec wheel set at 100% and I some times stomp on my break pedal and the frame is rock solid

I used ABS in my build of Eddy's/simil8rs design instead of pvc so I wouldnt have to paint it.

My initial bill for two pieces of 10' black 2" pipe was $14. Add $83 for the fittings for all of the back of the similator where the seat is. Finally, I had to buy one more pipe ($7) and the rest of the fittings that made up the front of it. That totaled another $43.

I'm the first to admit....I chose ABS for the fact its black...I wanted a black one and I wasnt in the mood to deal with painting it. Did this one simple fact make it more expensive than it needed to be? Definately. Do I care in the least? Not one iota.

I still need to find and purchase a good seat and mount it as well as glue mine up (bolting a few areas for ease of disassembly and expandability) as well as get and cut up a board for the seat to set on as well as the wheel to attach to.

But I cant highly recommend this enough. I freaking LOVE what I've got done so far and am really excited to finish it and then use the hell out of it.

Any suggestions on where to find a great, fully adjustable seat as well as comfortable...and reasonably priced would greatly be appreciated. At this point, I'll likely get one from 'you wrench it' or something, but I'd really prefer to get a nice recaro or something ultimately.

Andretti

Eddy.. wow great setup. I'm just planning my setup and was going to go with a metal frame, I mocked up a prototype from wood, and I was going to reproduce it in metal.. but since I saw yours, I'm rethinking.
I have a question if you don't mind, how stable is the wheel, I mean when you're driving and putting pressure on the wheel while turing etc, does the pvc sway in either direction?
Also where in Canada are you?

Thanks
Steve

here is a picture of mine. i modified yours a little bit, like adding an extra tee at the top and back sections, so i can build bars on either side, for the shifter (depending on what side the car drives on). i just have to glue the back half together, and i'm on the fence on gluing the front but dont want to spend $$ on fasteners...

b6ff413b.jpg

i got my seats from a group buy on Zilvia.net, but this is the company that sells them... (yes they sell generic bucket seats)

http://www.sonicmotor.com/

THANK YOU Very Very much SlowEddy and SIMUL8R for building, sharing ideas, and drawings!!!!

Not glued, but assembled. Like I said...I added two y fittings in the front for the posibility of future expansion. If I never do, no loss, but if I decide to add, I wont have to pull anything apart or cut. I'll just take off the caps and start adding pipe and fittings.

CarSimulator006.jpg

CarSimulator007.jpg

Hoping to get it glued up today...maybe get the board for the base for the seat done as well.

Once again, thanks Eddy and sim!

Andretti

Hows the stability of the thing. I always thought PVC rigs were wobbly

I cant respond to your question with 100% experience since mine isnt glued up yet, but it is pretty sturdy.

Using 2" pipe should make it absolutely sturdy enough for any 'trama' during use...and again, mine isnt even glued up yet.

Andretti

I gotta say, I considered building mine completely out of PVC and my design paled in comparison so I went with wood. This thing looks pretty dope. DL'd the instructions in case I decide to build this one day. 👍
-G

This thing is freaking amazing!! I would've never imagined pvc could look so good!!
Congrats on an original look and an awsome build!!

so I'm slowly completing drawings while playing GT5 B-spec mode :)

I added drawings for the Wheel mount in post number #2
Its pretty generic and and doesn't include any mounting holes for any specific wheel

- my mount is made from MDF, but any material would work
- I used 2X 5/16 x 3.5" bolts with lock-nuts drilled through the centers of each PVC T's to connect the wheel mount to the frame

i was planning to add 2x u-bolts on the left and right T's to further secure the wheel mount to the frame but the 2X 5/16 bolts are strong enough on their own

i will admit this is probably the dumbest question ever submitted
How do you attach the 3M Carbon Fibre? i'm new to all this 3M stuff

the 3M stuff is Self-Adhesive Vinyl - just add heat to it and it gets even more sticky / stretchy / soft really cool stuff (but also pretty expensive)

Hey Eddy awesome build man! I downloaded the blueprints and recently got started on your build. I'm so excited and cant wait for it to be finished, but i have a few questions first.
1. What angle are the Pvc 2" Tee's for the steering wheel mounted to.
2. What is the length of the piece that holds the shifter (center console)
3. Any suggestions on gluing the darn thing together? I've already assembled it a few times but I'm scared to start gluing lol because i dont want to mess up.

Thats it for now, if i have any more bumps along this road ill be sure to post on this wonderful thread you have going here.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Eddy awesome build man! I downloaded the blueprints and recently got started on your build. I'm so excited and cant wait for it to be finished, but i have a few questions first.
1. What angle are the Pvc 2" Tee's for the steering wheel mounted to.
2. What is the length of the piece that holds the shifter (center console)
3. Any suggestions on gluing the darn thing together? I've already assembled it a few times but I'm scared to start gluing lol because i dont want to mess up.

Thats it for now, if i have any more bumps along this road ill be sure to post on this wonderful thread you have going here.

Thanks in advance!

1. I'm not 100% sure which part you are talking about, but the steering mount is made up of T's and 90 degree elbows
2. Its about 39.5"
3. dry fit everything first to see how the fitment is. take your time don't rush. i hate gluing too. i ended up bolting a lot of stuff together

Awesome build Eddy!

How did you mount the wooden seat base to the PVC?

i used 4 x 5/16x3.5 bolts which were drilled straight through the wood seat mount and PVC frame

Greetings fellow builders!! Wow, I'm really impressed with the amount of work that's progressing here. Good work Eddy, keep it up!!👍

Just to help some of those questions regarding the PVC pipes. I used the thick kind at almost 5mm wall thickness. It's used for pressurized plumbing able to withstand 280 lbs of pressure at 73 degrees F; schedule #40 (if I remembered). They are not of the cheap thin kinds so stay away from those. ABS can be used but is much more brittle than PVC and cracks easier. In comparison, ABS pipes flex more than PVC as well. Aside from being black in appearance they do have a few more odd joints to choose from but are not as clean looking as the PVC joints. In any case it's obvious that they seem to work but I thought I'd just throw this out there for those who have been inquiring.

Last edited:
Eddy I was talking about the steering wheel mount, what angle is it at? Because if it were straight then the g27 would be like facing up not straight. I don't have the wheel yet so I'm just wondering.
I see your wooden steering wheel mount is at an angle, so that's what I'm talking about.

Eddy I was talking about the steering wheel mount, what angle is it at? Because if it were straight then the g27 would be like facing up not straight. I don't have the wheel yet so I'm just wondering.
I see your wooden steering wheel mount is at an angle, so that's what I'm talking about.

ohh I do not have the exact angle for that - i did a dry fit with the PVC Ts that hold the wheel mount. set the angle that suited me and then drilled / bolted the T's to the PVC parts - one of those set it and forget it type deals.

Found this online for $20 for a 60" sheet of 'carbon fiber.' Doesn't look to be too expensive, though guessing I'll need at least two rolls. Thoughts?

http://www.stickercity.com/carbon-fiber/?gclid=CPHHpPWI7aUCFQIBbAodfx2VoQ

ohh nice find!
I bought a 60"X 48" sheet and hand plenty leftover - i didn't cover all of the PVC parts ( i.E the 3" PVC parts i just painted black)

I think a 60" x 36" sheet would be enough to cover what i covered

ohh nice find!
I bought a 60"X 48" sheet and hand plenty leftover - i didn't cover all of the PVC parts ( i.E the 3" PVC parts i just painted black)

I think a 60" x 36" sheet would be enough to cover what i covered

Awesome, thanks SlowEddy

Back