GT5's low-speed physics are still terrible.

• Thread starter JTSnooks
  • 99 comments
@wolfe: all your arguments are valid, GT5 is not a simple racing game that anyone can just settle and play. Granted I've been playing since the very first GT and til now I still can't get all gold in the licences, like many of the better players here.
as for the lift-off oversteer, I agree as well, in some cars they behave that way (think TG's 2nd test in the elise w/ comfort hards) in other case not really. I was watching Keiichi Tsuchiya's drift bible sometime back as he was explaining how the different drifting styles, and one of them was the lift off oversteer which involves weight transfer of the car.
The game as it is, is plenty realistic while still being playable, the licence tests in GT5 acts pretty much as lessons for the newbies to the series, by getting bronze, one can start playing the game, not easy but definitely doable.

As for this
"You'll never relive the entire experience of driving a car in any virtual format (at least with current technology), but you're not listening to unv412 when he tells you that other games give him the "approximation" of reality he craves. That's why it shouldn't take another 9 years for PD to accomplish what we seek -- others have been doing it for years."

That is why there are different racing games or simulations that cater specifically to these people, I remembered when rallying was introduced to the GT series. People who played sega rally was complaining because it was not as easy to get into, while people who played any of the codemaster's rally games was saying....bah, not realistic. One game with over 1000 cars and so many tracks including custom ones at this moment will not be able to accommodate or dare i say cater to so many different kinds of vid game players and racing simulation enthusiasts at the same time. It is difficult enough to try and simulate the different surfaces (tarmac, gravel, snow) react with the different types of tires within a single programming algorithm (I hope this is the correct word) in GT.

"When the braindead AI pits you and sends you spinning into a barrier facing the wrong way, would you rather...
A. Make a time-consuming Y-turn to face the right way because your powerful RWD car can't spin around like it would in real life
B. Drop the clutch and pull a quick 180 burnout to jump back into the race"

For some reason, each time this happens to me in an RWD in the game, all I did was turn the wheel to the right way, hold the gas n brake, release brake and blamo it turns :D of course depending on the variables i do get different reaction sometimes (LSD, slope, surface)

"Your call. Also, as is pointed out time and time again, it's "the Real Driving Simulator." If Kazunori wanted to create the ultimate racing simulator, GT would be a very different game."

Your above point sums it best, I completely agree it is the Real driving simulator, what I'm trying to say is that many people here wants it to the ultimate racing simulator which it isn't and hopefully will never will be.

Peace....

as for the lift-off oversteer, I agree as well, in some cars they behave that way (think TG's 2nd test in the elise w/ comfort hards) in other case not really.
You're right, there's a lot of braking oversteer and some lift-off oversteer in mid-engined cars, but they should be the extreme example of a common phenomenon, not the exception to the rule.

The game as it is, is plenty realistic while still being playable, the licence tests in GT5 acts pretty much as lessons for the newbies to the series, by getting bronze, one can start playing the game, not easy but definitely doable.
I agree. 👍 Overall, GT5 is a thoroughly enjoyable driving experience, enough so that I can laugh off most of the quirks and extremely odd decisions scattered throughout the rest of the game. However, I'd still like to see the remaining physics problems fixed, if not by a patch, then when GT6 comes around (if any of us live to see that day and the sun hasn't burned out... ;) ).

The physics issues aren't the deal-breakers that made GT4 unbearable to me, but the driving still doesn't feel "natural." It just feels like Gran Turismo.

I remembered when rallying was introduced to the GT series. People who played sega rally was complaining because it was not as easy to get into, while people who played any of the codemaster's rally games was saying....bah, not realistic. One game with over 1000 cars and so many tracks including custom ones at this moment will not be able to accommodate or dare i say cater to so many different kinds of vid game players and racing simulation enthusiasts at the same time. It is difficult enough to try and simulate the different surfaces (tarmac, gravel, snow) react with the different types of tires within a single programming algorithm (I hope this is the correct word) in GT.
That's a good point. The core tarmac racing of the game should be fairly easy to get right, but even PC racing sims tend to get dodgy when you install a rally mod and try some gravel or snow racing (of course, something built for rally from the start, like Richard Burns Rally, is a different case). Live for Speed offers gravel and grass, complete with dirt accumulation in the tread (which affects grip), but hasn't yet bothered with rain or snow. And if you check out the LFS website, the developers have written how their quest for a realistic sim has turned into a in-depth study of tire behavior that no one else has really done before.

The rally races are an example of how Gran Turismo has always tried to appeal to everyone, and has always basically failed at it. But few people dislike standard tarmac racing, so it continues to sell.

For some reason, each time this happens to me in an RWD in the game, all I did was turn the wheel to the right way, hold the gas n brake, release brake and blamo it turns :D of course depending on the variables i do get different reaction sometimes (LSD, slope, surface)
Well, donuts and quick 180 spins do work in GT5. You wanted to know where a burnout would be useful in a racing game, so I answered.

What JTSnooks is talking about is that there are certain ways to produce wheelspin that work in real life, but don't in GT5. Not to mention certain aspects of wheelspin that are underrepresented in the game (eg. torque steer).

@OP: Well you're talking about a clutch, I don't think any of the officially supported wheels have a clutch. Besides the new Thrustmaster one, but it's safe to say you're not using that.
Being that they're not officially supported you can't expect everything on them to work perfectly, such as the clutch and shifter.

Also, it sounds to me like you've got traction control on, I can do burnouts really easily.

After the stint of snow driving we've had in the UK recently I'm quite impressed with how similar GT gets that feeling of a lack of friction and difficulty laying down traction.

Real life was more fun though.

Forza did nail shifting. I never used a wheel with it, but even using the regular manual shifting there was that burst of torque from the hard upshifts. Newer, powerful cars with paddle shift transmissions could jump sideways mid-turn if you upshifted without stepping off the throttle a little. Cars like the Ferrari 458, 599XX, Mercedes SLK55.

And at least if you enabled the clutch in Forza and missed the shift, it would still happen, despite slowly and with a bunch of grinding. I believe the wheelspin issue is why a lot of people have trouble getting 2nd gear off the line.

Edit: Oh, and the clutch being an on/off switch is annoying also.

Forza 3 shifting is not good at all. It is sad to see anyone say that it is. In Forza 3 the manual clutch makes every car faster. Usually by a large margin making it pretty much impossible to beat a manual clutch time with anything other than a manual clutch which of course both puts automatic users at a severe disadvantage as well as being completely unrealistic.

The normal manual method is much slower than the manual clutch in Forza 3 which is again totally unrealistic. There is no way a human foot can consistanty get the clutch in an out faster than an auto. I really hate that they did this for many reasons not the least of which is the offical Xbox wheel has no clutch pedal and it just seems stupid to be forced to press the clutch with your thumb to get a hot lap.

As for realism consider this. In Forza 3 it you are using anything other than a manual clutch the shift behaves like you are casually shifting a manual with clutch in real life having a noticeable lag between to gears as if the driver lifts off the throttle, presses the clutch, shifts the gear, releases the clutch and applys throttle in a manner similar to what I might do driving around town in my truck.

You will also notice a drop in speed as the gear is changed. IRL however you will not see this happen in a car with an auto tranny. My car never under any conditions drops speed when shifting and it is just a plain Jane auto tranny. I did have a car with a shift kit installed and at WOT every shift rather than loosing 1-2 mph between gears jumped about 10 mph as it slammed into each gear faster than you could ever do with a manual clutch pedal.

Also on Forza 3 you can hold WOT hit the clucth and the shifter at the same time and jump roughly one car length with every shift over those who are using the auto clutch or auto tranny. IRL this would destroy your car but in Forza 3 this is the way to get a fast lap.

GT5 on the other hand is much more realistic in shifting.

As for burnouts, Not a problem, shifting while spinning? I have never saw an issue and I often will short shift to get traction in GT5. As for using the brakes to do a burnout keep in mind that the default brake balance is 50/50 where on a real car it it always more to the front. Making a small change to the brake balance will allow for brake torquing the car if desired.

BTW my real life car [2001 Mustang] will not do a burnout at all even if I hold the brakes and of course the reason is it has TCS. If I turn the TCS off it will smoke the tires with ease

Last edited:
I've had serious issues with standing starts in many cars in the games, particularly hill starts. I've put the blame squarely on the clutch (and drivetrain) and a poor low-speed tyre model.

As was mentioned before, if you pull the clutch up so the car just starts to "move" (in the game, the revs will just drop, regardless of how much torque it has) and then dump the clutch with no throttle input, the car will simply stop accelerating and the revs will go to zero. In real life, the car would lurch, stutter and stall - so gaining speed (slightly.) So, in other words, there is no modelling of the dynamics between the car, the "road" (through the tyres) and the drivetrain, outside of a static "inertia" value that often feels incorrect.

Add to this the fact that the clutch transmits far less power than it ought to when slipping, and we see why standing starts can bog down like they do. It's as if power is limited when the clutch is slipping, so that the engine speed matches the gearbox speed, rather than actually letting the clutch take a "load" and slip against the flywheel according to its specifications (e.g. friction, mass, diameter etc.)

In GT5:P, there was a really buggy implementation of sidewall creep that persisted at any speed, which looked just like the low-speed (lateral) slip SHIRAKAWA Akira mentioned and described at length. The low-speed slip was generally worse in GT5:P, too, if I remember correctly.
This low-speed slippiness would be exacerbated by a proper, torque-transferring clutch, since the tyres would just light right up, no bother. Given that the current clutch slips only as much as the tyres / engine dictate, the car will always get moving until the clutch need slip no longer, which is why standing-starts with the pad are always full-bore, because the critical initial part is all handled by a clutch that seems to work in the same way as traction control.

The slippy tyres make for some serious issues when trying to get low-power, skinny-tyred cars up hills (I've already complained about the Honda S600 elsewhere). So you try to drag the clutch (like you would in real life, to a point - usually where the cabin has that awful stink and is suspiciously filling with an acrid smoke) and get the engine spinning at a point where lots of torque is being sent through the slipping clutch (more than would be at the matching engine speed, at any rate!) but all that happens is the clutch "slips" by dropping the revs to match the engine and tyre speeds, and the rear wheels start to rotate forwards, whilst the car begins to move backwards because the tyres are slipping too much. Great.

Maybe these sorts of stop/starts represent a physics or numerical solution problem, in terms of numerical stability around what is potentially a discontinuity. I've noticed that many racing games do a similar thing, where the tyres seem to inexplicably rotate even when the car is stationary.
LFS doesn't do this, nor does iRacing (in fact, it's possible to get the "Modified" to wheelie, owing to the sticky tyres!). Or maybe the AI can't handle it.
I never played Enthusia, but supposedly the guy who did the physics for that game is now employed by PD. I'd have to double-check the credits, mind you.

I imagine there is a conflict of interest between playability, realism and providing a level playing field for a range of game controllers. But hopefully we will see a physics update at some point.

EDIT: I can find no evidence that anyone involved with Enthusia has worked on GT5.

Last edited:
It is a racing game, why would you want to do standing burnout, granted in real life, like JTsnook mention, you will do standing burnout in 2nd gear in a Z06 or Cam SS, but maybe it's just not that relevant in the game.
If you want a complete simulator, they GT will need to simulate how would different tire compound acts in the different temperature, humidity, types of track surface, as the amount of grip will vary depending on the condition.

ps. driving the e320 on the ring must be biotch, that thing unders and rolls like a tank gotta be fun though.

The burnout thing is a big part of the fun factor for me (cannot go a day in RL without the smell of burnt rubber LOL) plus it ticks the box to say the physics must be perfect if you can do it properly!

Also i understand that all the variables you spoke of exist, but this is not the flaw this post is concerned with. I guess it just ****s me that maybe i spent big $$$ on Ps3 and G25 (not compatible on Xbox) + Gt5......when maybe the next Forza may end up being the full sim i was wanting from GT....

Ps the benz (once fully disabled ESP) turned in ok but then had this unnerving roll-oversteer in the medium pace (@ 120 kph) corners, i must say it did handle the bumps with confidence which inspired me to go @ 7/10 ths in a left hand drive car (im from Australia) on i track i learnt from GT Legends for 3 laps....then the wife barfed due to video recording induced nausia....so the party was over lol :ill:

Forza 3 shifting is not good at all. It is sad to see anyone say that it is. In Forza 3 the manual clutch makes every car faster. Usually by a large margin making it pretty much impossible to beat a manual clutch time with anything other than a manual clutch which of course both puts automatic users at a severe disadvantage as well as being completely unrealistic.

The normal manual method is much slower than the manual clutch in Forza 3 which is again totally unrealistic. There is no way a human foot can consistanty get the clutch in an out faster than an auto. I really hate that they did this for many reasons not the least of which is the offical Xbox wheel has no clutch pedal and it just seems stupid to be forced to press the clutch with your thumb to get a hot lap.

As for realism consider this. In Forza 3 it you are using anything other than a manual clutch the shift behaves like you are casually shifting a manual with clutch in real life having a noticeable lag between to gears as if the driver lifts off the throttle, presses the clutch, shifts the gear, releases the clutch and applys throttle in a manner similar to what I might do driving around town in my truck.

You will also notice a drop in speed as the gear is changed. IRL however you will not see this happen in a car with an auto tranny. My car never under any conditions drops speed when shifting and it is just a plain Jane auto tranny. I did have a car with a shift kit installed and at WOT every shift rather than loosing 1-2 mph between gears jumped about 10 mph as it slammed into each gear faster than you could ever do with a manual clutch pedal.

Also on Forza 3 you can hold WOT hit the clucth and the shifter at the same time and jump roughly one car length with every shift over those who are using the auto clutch or auto tranny. IRL this would destroy your car but in Forza 3 this is the way to get a fast lap.

GT5 on the other hand is much more realistic in shifting.

As for burnouts, Not a problem, shifting while spinning? I have never saw an issue and I often will short shift to get traction in GT5. As for using the brakes to do a burnout keep in mind that the default brake balance is 50/50 where on a real car it it always more to the front. Making a small change to the brake balance will allow for brake torquing the car if desired.

BTW my real life car [2001 Mustang] will not do a burnout at all even if I hold the brakes and of course the reason is it has TCS. If I turn the TCS off it will smoke the tires with ease

Are you using a wheel or controller?

99% of standard cars with manual transmission will outperform (drag race, top speed, circuit race etc) the automatic version of the same car in real life. (non DSG)

Powershifting, flat changing etc is proven to make a manual car even quicker so i see no real reason it shouldnt apply in a sim too (GT5???)

The physics engine coder was credited in GT5 Prologue
Yutaka Ito

http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=45409&tab=credits

Maybe he left after that. He worked on Demon's Souls in 2009

Aye, that's him. I saw he was credited for Demon's Soulsss, simply as a programmer.
I've just checked GT5's credits again, and he is there... under AI. :boggled: :odd:

Maybe my theory that the low-speed physics are bodged / hacked like they are because the AI can't do real starts is not far from the mark. :P
Either that, or he just likes to tackle all manner of different programming problems. Variety and all that.

After the stint of snow driving we've had in the UK recently I'm quite impressed with how similar GT gets that feeling of a lack of friction and difficulty laying down traction.

Real life was more fun though.

What I feel is really absent from GT5 are the ruts and how they can suck your wheels in... in fact, knowing how to use ruts and gutters are an essential part of rallying. Actually... it's similar on tarmac courses... I don't quite feel the tramlining you would get over certain surfaces.

Back