Tuner Challenge Championship ~ April McLaren MP4

• Thread starter Adrenaline
  • 897 comments
United States
California
PumpinNumbies
At this current time, the TCC is no longer active due to diminishing interest over time. If someone would like to continue this competition contact me, as I'm more than willing to transfer over any and all needed information, as well as mailing lists, email account, etc and so forth.

Outline:

On the 1st of the month, The chosen Car, Weight, HP & Tires shall be posted publicly. (Decided by vote)
By Midnight PST on the 15th, all tunes for the car need to be submitted. (11:59pm PST on the 14th)
By Midnight PST on the 16th, all tunes are distributed to the test drivers via e-mail in an unidentifiable manner. (11:59pm PST on the 15th)
By Midnight PST on the 29th, all driver lap times must be submitted via e-mail to gtplanet.tgb@gmail.com. (11:59pm PST on the 28th)
By Midnight PST on the 24th, a new poll will begin for the following month's: Car, Weight, HP, Tires & Tracks, will be created. (11:59pm PST on the 23rd)
By Midnight PST on the last day of the month all results will be posted publicly for viewing. (11:59pm PST on the 28th, 30th or 31st)

At which point the process will repeat itself on the 1st of the following month.

Rules:

Entries: Both Drivers and Tuners are requested to join by sending me an email with the name you'd like used to represent your Tuning Garage, Team or Individual Self. Drivers will be entered as their GTPlanet ID. Entries will be accepted throughout the process of this battle, for both drivers and tuners.

**The new Performance Point system may be used in the future, but due to it's unproven track record we will remain using the required weight & Horsepower system to prevent any issues for the current time.

Horse Power: Two power options will be up for vote, Moderate or Max.
Max horsepower will include all available upgrade options.
Moderate power will vary from car to car.

Car: Once a car is decided upon for a month, it shall be the only car allowable. This excludes any variations of the same car. The exact same make, model, year, edition etc. must be used throughout all tunes. A poll may offer two(2) options for each car listed, one of moderate HP, one of Maximum HP. Combined votes will decide the car, as well as the HP. No single vote goes uncounted.

Weight: Weight will be a required amount, as drivers are unable to install/remove weight reductions. Most cars will receive maximum weight reduction allowable, but in some cases a limit will be set for online class restrictions. E.G. 1000 or 1200kg

Tires: Tires will be a set standard. Sport Soft for all street cars, Racing Soft for any race cars.

Assists: Driving aids will be restricted to ABS @ 1 and driving line optional.

Tracks: Track will be decided at random and remain concealed until all tunes have been submitted. This is to avoid tuners making a track specific tune, requiring them to take many aspects into account, helping provide the community with quality tunes that are successful at many tracks and conditions.

Timing System: All laps run, must be ran in an online 'Lounge'.
Tire and fuel wear: Off
Grip reduction: Real
Each driver will have a full 15 laps with each car. This includes 5 laps to familiarize yourself with the car and the following 10 laps to post your best time. If your best time happens to come from within your first 5 laps, it will still be accepted. Your three(3) best laps from each tune shall be submitted. All drivers times will then be averaged together to create each tunes official 'lap time average' to be be used for ranking.
*Laps are subject to change based on the track chosen.
*Since the transition to 'online' testing the 'red laps' are no longer able to be used to disqualify a lap time. Due to this, we must rely on drivers to fair and honest. Please do not take advantage of this new feature, as we're trying to supply the online needs of people as A-Spec slowly fades from the main focus of GT5.

Point System: Based on the ranking of your average lap times, you will be rewarded points as follows:
1st: 30
2nd: 26
3rd: 23
4th: 20
5th: 17
6th: 15
7th: 13
8th -18th will continue to drop at 1 point per position
20th and beyond will be rewarded 0 points.

Note to Tuners:
Please take into account that we are attempting to reach a broad spectrum of both drivers and readers. I'd like to ask that you use multiple measuring systems to explain your settings. In specific, this is referencing Kilometers an hour vs Miles per hour, as well as HP or PS or KW ratings. As to avoid confusion for drivers, it's in your best interest to be as specific and thorough as you can be, ensure that you've written + & - correctly.

Note to Drivers:
Please take into account that these tunes will greatly vary from one to the next. Take all precautions when ensuring that you have applied all of the settings correctly. Pay close attention to -/+ signs. On the subject of cars, you must also understand that by volunteering as a driver you fully understand that you will be responsible for purchasing each car and the parts equipped on it, at your own cost. Over time, this may become a substantial amount of in game money, please be aware of this fact. More than money, this will be far more taxing on your time. Take this into consideration, but rest assured you may withdraw from the competition at anytime.

I wish you all the best of luck!

** Rules are subject to change. Any issue that may arise will be decided upon as I see fit to moral justification.

Last edited:
February
Car: 2010 Suburu Impreza Sedan
Tuning: Maximum Horsepower, Chassis Stiffening & Aero from GT Auto.
Weight: Minimum weight.
Tires: Sport - Soft
Track: Trial Mountain
Tunes(10): https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...wWnIxOGJHbWpJZHc&hl=en&authkey=CPeEgakK#gid=0
Results: https://spreadsheets0.google.com/cc...SGuFn517RzPYUng&hl=en&authkey=CP2StbwP#gid=11

March
Car: Nissan XANAVI NISMO Z ‘06
Tuning: Chassis Stiffening.
Weight: Stock
Tires: Racing - Soft
Track: Driver Choice
Tunes(6): https://spreadsheets4.google.com/cc...K_O5IHTYt10D03pnMAmsA&hl=en&authkey=CJHMzuQL#
Results: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...kd5Nk4zRWNDclVZdXJLMGc&hl=en&authkey=CICM7N0N

April
Car: McLaren MP4 12C '10
Tuning: Chassis Stiffening + Maximum Power + Aero from GT Auto
Weight: All Weight Reductions Allowed, Including Hood/Window Lightening.
Tires: Racing - Hard
Track: Limited Driver Choice
Tunes(3): https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...WmdCeE4wZnpUMDZILV9rcmc&hl=en&authkey=CJ-H9C8
Results: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...1pVcHk4Tml6b0xCRXNZaWc&hl=en&authkey=CIPyhNIH

Last edited:
Liking this a lot. 👍 I trust your organisation enough to pull this off. I have some points for the discussion topics, though.

1. I think dropping the highest and lowest laptimes will be the best way. Take the average from the remaining times for each track, then you'll have 3 average times per car. I'm not sure whether to average these 3 times or use a points based system, though.

2. Post break in. This'll make it fair for used cars which are well past being broken in. It's up to the tuner to make sure their car doesn't surpass the bhp limit due to mileage, although perhaps have a +10bhp allowance for cars that go over the limit due to mileage?

3. Yes. No. If there's 10 cars, then it's possible to test them all within 2 weeks. If there's 20 or more, then it may be asking too much of the test drivers, especially if they have work or school. I'm not sure how to ease the load in an event like that.

4. A maximum amount of laps is a good way to keep test drivers from over or under-testing, plus it can save them some time. How about 5 laps to get used to the car and 10 full throttle laps sound okay for an average race track? Raise/lower according to the length of the track?

5. I'm not sure. Perhaps 15 tuners and as many drivers as possible?

6. Any car. 500bhp. Sports Soft. 1500kg max, 1000kg min. Deep Forest, Cape Ring and Rome.

7. Everything seems okay so far, I can't think of anything missing.

If you attempt to use used cars for this test, keep in mind the rotation of the used car lot. The game day that I am now on may be different from others, so it could take me weeks to have cars come around again. May want to stick with cars that can be purchased from the new dealership?

1. Same as Roj. Averaged lap time, dropping outliers.

2. Require the vehicle to still be under the cap after 100 miles. That will be more than enough time for testing and just under when an oil change at zero miles starts to taper off again.

3. Yes if the car isn't something that a tuner has an extreme emotional attachment to (NSX for Roj, FD RX-7 for me, R32 Skyline for Greycap, etc) in which case the car is NEVER done. No if there are a lot of vehicles entered, yes if not. 2 weeks would allow 14 cars to be done at a fairly relaxed pace (one test per day) but I know there can often be some very large turnouts for this.

4. I like 5 warm-up, 10 hot laps for any track under 2 minutes for testing; keeping it around 1 hour total of driving should be perfect.

5. As many drivers as possible, as many tuners as the least-able (in terms of time available) driver can handle.

6. I'm open to anything, though I think premium cars would be at an advantage here; anyone can get one instantly while used cars are a bit more difficult to find... And there would need to be at least 3 different vehicles for testing to account for different power routes. Also, sports soft tires on road cars, race tires on race cars. Track wise... Tokyo R246, while definitely a power track, will show how cars react to steady state cornering (turn 4), fast chicanes, abrupt 90 degree corners, etc etc... Trial Mountain, Deep Forest, Nurburgring Nordschliefe will all test the vehicle's reaction to surface imperfections (particularly Trial, the "fast" line is also extremely dangerous if the car can't handle some fairly extreme kerb hopping)... Then perhaps somewhere like Suzuka, Monza, or Grand Valley Speedway.

Edit: 7. Only thing I can see missing is... Erm... Well... Oh.

I'm very interested in this. However, I might wait and watch how February's tuning goes down before I enter (as a tuner).

I suggest that the first car be one of the Race Modification with only the RM performed, and no other mods. I'll even go further and narrow it down to the '10 Camaro, '70 Challenger, '96 Elise, or even better (because I'm sure all the testers will have logged plenty of miles in them) the RM'd ZR1. Once again, RM - only and no other performance modifations.

We can even make it like the Photomode Comps and have the winner decide the next car. 👍

Just some [hopefully helpful] input 💡

1: How shall times be compared. Fastest Lap per driver averaged together? Drop the highest/lowest for an average? There are many ways to come to the conclusion. Each track may be based on a point system, where all 3 tracks combined decide the winner?
Also there's the possibility of a bracket type system. Begin with X amount of tuners, and each week only half move on the the next round, until 1 crowned champion emerges. At the end of each bracket a new bracket would begin and each tuner would be given a seed number based on the previous brackets results. This easily allows for breaks to be taken, both planned, and unplanned ;)
Every driver has his own driving habits. The one is used to full throttle when exiting a corner, the other goes for 100% precision and only does full throttle on the big straights. I think your 25-22-19 point system thing is a good idea though, but what if you could totally split up the points, and work with a whole other system? What I'm thinking of is this:

Cars get rated based on acceleration, cornering, combo, lap times and feeling. You get 1 point for acceleration, 1 for cornering and 2 for combo. The feeling also gives 2 points and you'll receive 4 points if you have made the fastest lap. 2nd fastest receives 2 points and third gets 1. If the 'feeling' part is just not there, according to test drivers, it's possible to give 0 or 1 points for it. Same goes up to the 'combo'.

My point with this system is that better tunes will get more appreciation, or something. Good tunes will get way more points than (simply said) 'bad' tunes. Because the lap time gives a total of 4 points (out of the 10), the most important thing is still this time.

This way every driver can give up to 10 points to a tune. I haven't thought of what to do with these points, but there would be more space between tunes if every single driver gives points to the tune. If we get around 10 drivers, tuners would be able to get up to 100 points every month. At the same time 'bad' tunes will get only about 60, or even less.

I'm just brainstorming about this, and if I it back by myself, I don't think this is the worlds greatest idea.. But at least it's something.
2: Horsepower. As cars break in, they increase in power. Should the HP limit, be set as 'pre' break in or 'post' break in? Example being, If I set a car specifically to 550, then go run it for 10 laps, testing and tuning, only to find that the car is now at 557... How would we like to handle that?
Let's make it a pre. Before driving, you don't know how many hp the car will get extra. You only get to know that when you've been driving around.
3: Is 1 week sufficient time to tune the car?
Is 2 weeks enough for the drivers to test them all?
Hmm, I hoped more for just a little more time. Is there any animo for making it 1.5 weeks for both instead?

4: Shall drivers be required to put in a set amount of laps, set amount of time, or another variation per tune? If I know I can cut 2 tenths off of a lap time, but I didn't get it done in the first 10 laps, can I run more laps, or am I done? Need to agree on a time limit, or lap limit. Make sure to consider laps that will be used adjusting to each tune as well.
I think a minimum limit is something do discuss about as well. There might be people that drive 1 lap with a tune and say "this is rubbish". Maybe they didn't even set a time. If you're about to make 0.2 seconds off the fastest lap, I think you should just do it! :)

5: How many Drivers and Tuners should be allowed? This decision will effect #3. More tuners, means more time needed for drivers.
I think you should allow more drivers than tuners, but it would be chaotic if you have like 25-30 drivers and like 15 tuners (the garages and a few individuals). It would be cool if it works out, but I'm thinking of 10 tuners, 15 drivers or something like that.

6: The fun part!!! February's Car, HP, Tire, Weight and Tracks need to be decided. :D
I'll post about this later on tonight haha. Gotta go to school in a few minutes :)

7: Anything and everything that I'm more than likely missing, lol.
Same! I'll think of it and let you know in another post.

Are you going to do a vote for the cars and tracks? Maybe narrow it down to 5 cars and 5 tracks and post a poll?

Yes you should do this Adrenaline, I really like this concept. I'm definitely in and I hope we can get some more people to join! This would be awesome!

I think you should allow all the drivers to drive and post times for every tune and the highest time is taken per track and at the end the fastest times are added together and the lowest time wins, thats how some competitions have done it and it seems it would be the best. It wouldn't be fair if one driver brought down the average if they had a bad run in a particular car, everyone's driving styles are different. Some drivers will like certain tunes, others won't.

I'm unsure as to the willingness, as well as the ability of the garages, to simultaneously run 2 separate Tuning Battles. I've been contacted by psychot|k, but haven't heard from him since.

I guess it really comes down to the tuners. I just assumed more than 1 of these types of competitions would be overwhelming, so I was going to just let this idea fade and support psychot|ks. If the garages want to have 2 competitions going at once, I can easily changes the dates, as to ensure my 'tuning period' is during the other competitions 'driving period' as to avoid conflicts both in time and competition.

It's really up to the tuners and drivers. If people want to run 2, I can continue on with this thread. I just assumed by lack of response, as well as the return of the original thread, that people would only be interested in seeing 1 run per month. To avoid stepping on anyones toes, I just let the thread fall. Completely up to you guys.

Don't worry about us tuners, it's common practice to tune 2-3 cars at the same time. I think it's more up to the drivers, since it's going to eat up a lot of their time. I'll happily run 2 contests at once anyway. 👍

I'd actually prefer online lobbies, but........
I feel the online tire wear, fuel weight and possible physics difference, would hinder the true results of the tune, when placed into the hands of an array of different drivers.

In short, online isn't consistent enough from lap to lap, for test drivers to produce the true potential of each tune. But if enough people would prefer online, I'm all for it.

As to whether I continue with this, will be dependent on more garage interests, as well as the results of psychot|k's event.

I'd actually prefer online lobbies, but........
I feel the online tire wear, fuel weight and possible physics difference, would hinder the true results of the tune, when placed into the hands of an array of different drivers.

In short, online isn't consistent enough from lap to lap, for test drivers to produce the true potential of each tune. But if enough people would prefer online, I'm all for it.

As to whether I continue with this, will be dependent on more garage interests, as well as the results of psychot|k's event.

Hey Adrenaline,

would it be an idea if you and psychot|k would split offline / online, i.e. you do the online battle, he does offline?
(tbh I'm really interested in online setups; this is what almost everybody will end up doing anyway once finished the a-spec races..)

Just a thought.

I would be interested to be a driver if you're still looking for some.

I would rather test the cars online tho. Since most of the tuned car I used are for online races only. I think most tuned car are ment to be driven online at least that's how I see it. Think about it, in some month no one will drive in a-spec anymore so online will be where's the interest is. And beside, I find it more interesting to have tire wear etc.. because again when I race that's also a factor. Anyway my opinion ^^

Hey Adrenaline,

would it be an idea if you and psychot|k would split offline / online, i.e. you do the online battle, he does offline?
(tbh I'm really interested in online setups; this is what almost everybody will end up doing anyway once finished the a-spec races..)

Just a thought.

Meh, I agree that online setups are in demand for online lobbies, but cars behave inconsistently online. Plus I think having one person do online and one do offline would be a poor decision. The more competitions started the better in my opinion, I'd rather have the option to pick and choose which competitions I enter than to be forced to join the only one available.

Random thought, it would be fun to have all these tuned cars race at the same time at the end of the competition as an extra fun event :) ..

Hey Adrenaline,
I have a gmail.com address setup with all the contact information of the drivers and tuners for what I had setup. It's all grouped and organized, so it's easy to send a mass eMail to either all participants (about 27), all tuners, or all drivers!

Send me a PM and I'll give you the password.

Cheers,

psychot|K

S3 tires, minimum weight.

That said it seems it may be dead. I just don't know any more. :lol:

It seems Physc has abandoned it, I received an email (I am assuming sent to everyone?) saying he was Shutting the thread and that now Adrenaline was looking after it?
He said he is quitting because everyone is criticising him, (which reading his thread is true) I think its out of order, he was mearly trying to do a good thing here, but sure enough politics get in the way.

All we need is some one to say right, this is the challenge:
This car-
This Track-
This Hp-
This weight-
These Tyres-

And if anyone doesnt like it dont enter, simple as that.

If I had the time I would do it

It seems Physc has abandoned it, I received an email (I am assuming sent to everyone?) saying he was Shutting the thread and that now Adrenaline was looking after it?
He said he is quitting because everyone is criticising him, (which reading his thread is true) I think its out of order, he was mearly trying to do a good thing here, but sure enough politics get in the way.

All we need is some one to say right, this is the challenge:
This car-
This Track-
This Hp-
This weight-
These Tyres-

And if anyone doesnt like it dont enter, simple as that.

If I had the time I would do it

Well that's sad. I was looking forward to the TGB. I thought psychot|K was doing alright, seeing as it's the first GT5 TGB, it's going to be a bit rough anyway.

We had all that information established last night.

Kia Rio WRX STi
Trial Mountain
Max power
Min weight
Sports Soft

I honestly think if this is going to keep happening, then the person organising it should have tuning contest experience prior to this one. Either as an organiser, driver or tuner.

I hear ya, Thing is whenever someone tries to organise one people shoot thm down in flames if there plan differs from someone else's opinion.
Such a shame because I was really looking forward to it

It wasn't even criticism leveled towards him directly, he just took it that way, it was suppose to be a debate over how to interpret the poll results, he could have just sat back and let a few more people chime in and take sides and let a consensus build.

Back