IBTL posts must die (and other common sense posting rules).

• Thread starter Duke
  • 59 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Keep 'em separated
Staff Emeritus
United States
Midlantic Area
GTP_Duke
The next person making an IBTL (In Before The Lock) post will get a complimentary 2-day vacation at somewhere other than GTPlanet... because you won't be posting here during that time.

IBTL posts stupid and annoying and serve zero purpose. If you expect a thread will be closed, then don't bother posting in it. There's no reason to spam it up in the name of feeling smug about yourself.

And none of you jokers better tempt me by posting one in this thread. That is all.

EDIT:

Okay, I'm just going to jump in here because there's been a few worrying trends that have cropped up of late.

First of all, a lot of people have been using the term "Japanese" in this posts. This is usually an abbreviation of "Japan" or "Japanese". However, the term "Japanese" is considered a racial slur and is offensive to Japanese people. Even if it is not your intention to offend people, the term itself is considered offensive. Moderator action will follow.

Secondly, and of somewhat more concern, is the way people have taken to using the term "Jew" to refer to others, particularly in the Marketplace. This is an anti-semitic slur, and one that will earn you a ban for using it. It is currently happening so freuently in the Marketplace that if things keep going the way they are, we will have no choice but to close the Marketplace permanently.

Thirdly, people have also taken to using the terms "gay" and "fag(got)" to describe people or objects. This will be considered homophobic, and if you use it, you will probably be lucky to escape without a ban.

Finally, if you see any posts that contain these slurs, then please do not hesitate to report the post to the moderators. All of these slurs are serious violations of the AUP, and will be met with decisive action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank ____ for that.

So bloody annoying. Why are people so desperate to ramp their post count up that they feel the need to IBTL?

I don't really care why they do it, I'm just glad measures are being taken to stop it.

Good, because know some members that do it frequently (mentioning no names).

I'm not following you, how are IBTL posts a way of keeping track of threads? They're just stupid attempts to boost someones post count, why they bother when you can do a brief, but to the point and on topic post in anyone of the thousands of threads just as easilly is beyond me.

Thank you, these posts are so annoying and pointless – I’m glad something is being done about them! 👍
Duke
And none of you jokers better tempt me by posting one in this thread. That is all.
So … tempting. :lol:

:D :D :D

Sorry about the other thread, Duke.

live4speed
I'm not following you, how are IBTL posts a way of keeping track of threads? They're just stupid attempts to boost someones post count, why they bother when you can do a brief, but to the point and on topic post in anyone of the thousands of threads just as easilly is beyond me.

Well if the thread gets deleted the posts don't count. So even more reason not to.

I have posted before locks but not for the purpose of saying "in before the lock" err at least that I can remember.

Interesting.

Haven't seen one of those in ages.

Must be looking the wrong places I guess. Or the right places?...

Anyway, good to know. So we can click 'Report' on any 'IBTL' posts we see in future then?

Duke
IBTL posts stupid and annoying and serve zero purpose. If you expect a thread will be closed, then don't bother posting in it. There's no reason to spam it up in the name of feeling smug about yourself.

Amen. :)

About time something like this was done. 👍

ferrari_chris
Interesting.

Haven't seen one of those in ages.

Must be looking the wrong places I guess. Or the right places?...

Anyway, good to know. So we can click 'Report' on any 'IBTL' posts we see in future then?
Yes, please report any such posts that you find.

Jeez.. Good call Duke.. Not to be offensive or anything, but does it really matter if people post "IBTL"s, if the thread is being deleted anyway ?...

Yes.. I know I posted in one of these lately, but.. if you read the post, it was never meant as an "IBTL" but as an educational post for the original offender...

Flerbizky
Jeez.. Good call Duke.. Not to be offensive or anything, but does it really matter if people post "IBTL"s, if the thread is being deleted anyway ?...

Yes.. I know I posted in one of these lately, but.. if you read the post, it was never meant as an "IBTL" but as an educational post for the original offender...

Then again, anything else like "this needs to be locked..." etc., etc. should also be an offense.

I always thought it was a stupid-fun tradition here at GTP to do that sort of thing... I guess no more... To be honest, I didn't think it was that bad of a thing, since the thread was being locked anyway...

So, now, just post Reported in the obvious bad threads so viewers of the thread know somebody already reported it, or is that an offense too?

I'm sorry for the one i did, i was just really boared.. like always, i always said this should be locked but i try and give info to what, or where they can find a similar thread, i usually say go search, look at the sticky's or if i'm in a good mood i'll give them a link. I just try and make GTP not full of random threads that have been made 2 or a billion times before... It get's anoughing.

Solid Lifters
I always thought it was a stupid-fun tradition here at GTP to do that sort of thing... I guess no more... To be honest, I didn't think it was that bad of a thing, since the thread was being locked anyway...

So, now, just post Reported in the obvious bad threads so viewers of the thread know somebody already reported it, or is that an offense too?

Yeah. If the bad threads are buried in obscurity, how are you guys supposed to find them?

Solid Lifters
I always thought it was a stupid-fun tradition here at GTP to do that sort of thing...
Naw, it’s an Internet-wide kinda thing that’s been making the rounds much in the same way “owned” (and subsequently “pwned”) did a year or two ago.

My stance has always been that one person should make a post saying “I reported you because of yada yada”, and then everybody else should leave the thread alone. E.g.:

SammySpammy: Buy my product!!!
Member123: I’ve reported you for spamming.
No more posts from anybody.

I've honestly never been able to view a thread right before it gets closed anyway. For some reason, I always seem to get to the game late...

Anderton Prime
I've honestly never been able to view a thread right before it gets closed anyway. For some reason, I always seem to get to the game late...

I know what you mean. I think I have the last post in maybe 1 thread, if I recall correctly.

If you really want to know what thread it was, it was the "MAMA" Jokes thread in the Comedy Corner.

Sage
Naw, it’s an Internet-wide kinda thing that’s been making the rounds much in the same way “owned” (and subsequently “pwned”) did a year or two ago.

My stance has always been that one person should make a post saying “I reported you because of yada yada”, and then everybody else should leave the thread alone. E.g.:

SammySpammy: Buy my product!!!
Member123: I’ve reported you for spamming.
No more posts from anybody.
:lol: SammySpammy.....

Yeah that's how it should be knock out the spam :yuck:

I'm guilty of doing this :indiff: Sorry for any annoyance I've caused, won't do it again 👍.

Personally, I think that even posts stating "I reported you for such and such" or "Reported" serve no purpose, either. If someone has been reported, there is no need for anyone to jump out and state that it was them who reported them, nor is there any need to state that they have been reported in the first place. If someone has been reported, Moderators will be notified. It will be dealt with relatively quickly.
Omnis
Yeah. If the bad threads are buried in obscurity, how are you guys supposed to find them?
If they are buried in obscurity, then let them be obscure. If you can't see them, they aren't bothering anybody.
Flerbizky
Not to be offensive or anything, but does it really matter if people post "IBTL"s, if the thread is being deleted anyway ?...
Yes. It's annoying, pointless, a waste of time and generally just shows the intellect and maturity level of some members. If you're craving fun that much, take up a hobby. "In Before The Lock" posts are old, overused and they aren't funny anymore.
xcsti
Well if the thread gets deleted the posts don't count. So even more reason not to.
It shouldn't be an added reason in the first place. Post counts do not matter after you reach the ability to obtain a Custom User Title. Having more posts does not indicate that the user is one of better quality or behaviour. There's a red tick in the top right-hand corner of everyone's posts, and if you get enough of those, people will be able to see that you post quality posts, anyway. Racking up your post count with incompetent dribble and useless posts does not give you a positive image within the community.

Flerbizky
Making a post in a thread that is in danger of being locked, in order to point out the error of the poster's ways, is fine.

What I'm talking about is spam posts that say nothing but "IBTL" or similar, for no reason other than to act snotty. Yes the thread will be deleted if it is junk. But that may take a little while until it is noticed, so why junk it up even worse, for no purpose?
Solid Lifters
No, that's not an offense at all. Read my comment above. That is actually adding something constructive to the thread, if only to let other users know they don't need to duplicate the report.

I never said that simply POSTING in a doomed thread is an offense. All I said is that pointless posts, just to get in before the thread is closed and for no other reason, are annoying spam and will be treated as such.

How can you tell if a thread is just about to be closed?

Not everyone sits and watches the progress of threads, sometimes you just happen apon a thread without knowing the background or recent direction of said thread. Perhaps threads been watched by mods for potential locking could come with a warning icon? - this would either stop participents from further 'comments' or warn people from even entering the thread in the first place.

just a thought.

If it blatantly violates the AUP. Swearing, spam, advertising, adult content.

TheCracker
How can you tell if a thread is just about to be closed?

Not everyone sits and watches the progress of threads, sometimes you just happen apon a thread without knowing the background or recent direction of said thread. Perhaps threads been watched by mods for potential locking could come with a warning icon? - this would either stop participents from further 'comments' or warn people from even entering the thread in the first place.

just a thought.
We don't need to read too much into this. I'm specifically referring to obvious junk IBTL posts in obvious junk threads. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back