The perfect IRacing experience

• Thread starter MC_PEA
  • 10 comments
MC_PEA
MC_PEA91
What spec PC would I have to get to allow me to run it at high rez with all the track side objects on and yet still run high FPS?
I don't want triple screens or 3D just a good enough PC to make it alot more enjoyable cus im running it on a latop at the moment and it no fun.

I have PhenomII x4 965be (oc'd to 3,9) , and XFX4890hd. Without last shadows I can run approx +200 in every track, but few biggest. Even those do not dip under +120.

That cpu/gpu -combo is quite cheap in these days I suppose. Good value!

I have a i7-950 with a gtx 570 and i could run everything maxed out. you will need a pretty decnt PC to run all the tracks maxed out with a full field. Suzuka takes alot to run it nicely at max settings. And one weird thing about iracing is that you need to have pretty high FPS compared to other games to make it seem really smooth.

I really can't see anything lower then a 570 running suzuka maxed out. I think I dip down into the 70s and once you get into the 60s for some reason iracing starts to get kind of jerky feeling. Other tracks are a different story, but if you want all tracks maxed then Suzukz would be the one you have to worry about.

And before anyone says "I run it with my 460 or this or that, and I get 100fps all the time, you don't need a 570." Are you really running the game with all the max settings like the OP says. In all honesty my 570 won't max the game out. I have to turn down the mirror to low detail. I can't run a few tracks with the mirror detail set to high and stay above 70 fps. I would say though that mirror detail on high is kind of like uber sampling with witcher 2. I doubt anyone uses it.

I should add that I'm running it at 1080p. That's a high enough res for me.

Racing is the most modern racing simulation ever created. Every inch of every track is modeled perfectly. I have used iRacing to learn new courses such as Virginia International Raceway, or to keep the rust off at tracks such as Infineon Raceway.Its my first experience which i shared here.

Moving to Australia

What spec PC would I have to get to allow me to run it at high rez with all the track side objects on and yet still run high FPS?
I don't want triple screens or 3D just a good enough PC to make it alot more enjoyable cus im running it on a latop at the moment and it no fun.

Depends on your budget mate.

According to the experts in the iRacing hardware forum the game is CPU-dependent and not very demanding on the GPU(?). I have an Intel i5 processor, 2gb GPU on a single 120hz monitor and run with everything turned up to the max and I never get any noticeable stutter or lag.

The i5-2500K seems to be the CPU of choice. I just finished building a PC for iRacing and that is what I used, along with a 6950 2Gb graphics card. That lets me run a single screen with max detail. That might be more than you really need for a single screen though - I'm setting up triples. I would advise you to go with a setup that will allow triple screens as you will likely want to go there in time.

I'm now running triple screen on a Core i5 2500K OC'd to 4.7GHz with a 6950 2Gb card. It runs great. I have most settings on high detail and I turned off shadow volumes (I still have all shadow maps on though.) Basically I can get 100+ minimum fps at Suzuka which is the toughest track on framerate. If I had to do it all again I wouldn't change a thing. Let me know if you want more info. You should also check out the iRacing hardware forum as there is tons of great info and plenty of folks to help you out. It's not cheap but it is totally totally worth it!

For the record, yes I use (used) rFactor, Live for Speed, GTR, GTR 2, GTR Evolution, Race07, NASCAR Racing 2003 (Papyrus), GT Legends, Grand Prix Legends, Precision Racing, etc. etc. I was networking racing games/sims back in the day via RS232 serial ports (pre-Internet).

Nothing against arcade racers at all, GRID is fun, so are the Need for Speeds -- but a different type of fun. iRacing is about simulated racing oval and road courses. iRacing's Laguna Seca and Infineon is extremely close to the real track.

I think you'll find that as simulations progress in realism, you'll find more and more professional drivers being told to use them as part of their training.

iRacing tracks have a theorectical resolution of 1 inch, this data is then compressed so that current computer hardware is able to display the track at reasonable frame rates. They actually went out to the tracks and painfully mapped them (this takes a lot of time and effort and expensive equipment) -- none of the tracks are converted from any other/older sim, that's why their accuracy is top notch.

I'm using a G25 also (cheap but works good enough for me), haven't taken the jump to ECCI wheel/pedals yet ($2K).

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Thanks & Regards
Carson Pent

Last edited:
For the record, yes I use (used) rFactor, Live for Speed, GTR, GTR 2, GTR Evolution, Race07, NASCAR Racing 2003 (Papyrus), GT Legends, Grand Prix Legends, Precision Racing, etc. etc. I was networking racing games/sims back in the day via RS232 serial ports (pre-Internet).

Nothing against arcade racers at all, GRID is fun, so are the Need for Speeds -- but a different type of fun. iRacing is about simulated racing oval and road courses. iRacing's Laguna Seca and Infineon is extremely close to the real track.

I think you'll find that as simulations progress in realism, you'll find more and more professional drivers being told to use them as part of their training.

iRacing tracks have a theorectical resolution of 1 inch, this data is then compressed so that current computer hardware is able to display the track at reasonable frame rates. They actually went out to the tracks and painfully mapped them (this takes a lot of time and effort and expensive equipment) -- none of the tracks are converted from any other/older sim, that's why their accuracy is top notch.

I'm using a G25 also (cheap but works good enough for me), haven't taken the jump to ECCI wheel/pedals yet ($2K).

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Thanks & Regards
Carson Pent

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Back