What if Kaz Retires? What Happens with Gran Turismo?

THE_LAST_FAOLIU
Does it become watered down? Does it blend into the market as just another racer? Could we as loyal fans of the game trust that without Kaz, it would still be the same game?

Most definitely the face of Gran Turismo would change, but for better or worse is up for speculation. For so long, GT has been something driven by Kaz's vision rather than the typical racer. Details, substance, and passion have driven Gran Turismo into incredible heights and indeed today Gran Turismo is a powerhouse of a title. GT5 is the highest selling PS3 exclusive today.

But then GT5 has easily become the most controversial sequel so far. I think for most fans its the logical next step in the series, they can overlook the imperfections. But then again for just as many people its an unsavory foreshadowing of the future of the franchise. The complaints continue on and on... and of course the one name brought up more than anyone else is the leading, driving force behind Gran Turismo - Kazunori Yamauchi.

Kaz promised us this... Kaz lies about that... Kaz spends too much time on details! Kaz is biased towards Nissan! Kaz doesn't listen to the fans. Kaz is disconnected with the audience. I read over these comments on this website all too often. None of them are by me personally, I like what Kaz is doing.

So what if Kaz were to suddenly retire? Good or Bad for the Gran Turismo series? How does PD cope without its experienced, passionate CEO? Do they start mirroring Forza? Do they start releasing sequel after sequel and go for a shotgun tactic like EA Games? Does the focus of Gran Turismo change all together to more of an arcadish racer with eye candy graphics?

What you think would happen?

On a serious note, I would assume that he may have someone to take over. Someone he has groomed to lead for the next stage. That's what I would have done.

First thing I would be affraid of is the lack of quality assurance. Who knows, the game might be better, but it might become another generic racer like NFS, but with better physics.

But leaving the paranoia behind, I don´t think Sony would let this franchise fall in quality. That would kill it. They would hire a new PD staff leader that would need to accomodate to the current procedures of that company.

I myself would fly to Japan and take the place as the manager in the sound department, and work day and night to make sure 4 cylinders sound like 4 cylinders, 5 like 5, 6 like 6, 8 like 8... and so on... just kidding.

HuskyGT
But leaving the paranoia behind, I don´t think Sony would let this franchise fall in quality. That would kill it. They would hire a new PD staff leader that would need to accomodate to the current procedures of that company.
This 👍

I don't think Kaz plans on retiring anytime soon.. He is only in his mid forties right?

Well... if I ever got my hands on even just a couple million dollars, I'd retire and I'm not even in my 30s. lol Especially if I had to deal with a bunch of bratty fans! :D But that's me, I'm no Kaz. If I had released GT5 and read all these comments on GTP and on the PS3 forums and all the hate mail PD prolly gets, I'd throw my hands up and quit no problem. Take my money and go home. Drive real cars at Nurb.

But then that's why I'm no CEO of Polyphony Digital.

Direct answer to first question of thread title:

:lol:

On a more serious note: There's always somebody to do his job, hopefully a European guy or American to get more European and American supercars in the game and make the game more fun.

Maybe his kids will take over if he has any:D

I've always wondered if Kaz was a family man, not because I want to know his personal life, but because of the possibilities of what will happen to the GT franchise if he retires... just like this thread is implying.

If not his family, then probably a close friends or other relative. I'm sure that whomever he passes the Torch, he (and yes possibly she) have to have the same passion, and at least similar vision.

As of the moment, he's probably in the same boat as Kojima, and not wanting to trust anybody at the moment.

You'd have to think the next man/woman in charge will take over. Life will go on without KY, as will cars. But let's not get too ahead of ourselves. He is, as mentioned before, very young still.

I just hope there wont be a self-written book containing the words "I vision of having my own console build just for the Gran Turismo series" or somewhere along those lines just like Jobs.

Well, you know what? I'm not completely sure it's a bad thing, it's all about who substitute him and how. I would say people like Darin Gangi and Shaun Cole, they have lots and lots of sim racing experience they could be what the Poliphony really need: logic, and thinkin about the whole game from the user point of view. Instead if you tell me a random Poliphony guy with the same backgraund, well no is not worth it.

Oh and yes, type your random joke about Jessica Lopez here.
:P:drool::drool::D

Naturally his '2nd in command' guy will take over, if not then Kaz or Sony themselves will appoint a new person for the position.

HKS racer
Well, you know what? I'm not completely sure it's a bad thing, it's all about who substitute him and how. I would say people like Darin Gangi and Shaun Cole, they have lots and lots of sim racing experience they could be what the Poliphony really need: logic, and thinkin about the whole game from the user point of view. Instead if you tell me a random Poliphony guy with the same backgraund, well no is not worth it.

Oh and yes, type your random joke about Jessica Lopez here.
:P:drool::drool::D

I respectfully disagree.

...I'm pretty sure he wont retire. He made GT not for money, but for his love of cars. There are not many as passionate about something as he is. I'm thinking he'll be a legend like Steve jobs, but in the video game or racing world.

Whoever is KY's heir is, I hope they have driven more than Nissan's at a young age and hate Tsukuba. I love Nissan's styling but come on, branch out a little. So many great European, Australian and American cars and awesome world tracks that could make this game the best.

The Sony/PD team up is bigger than Kaz. There's a saying in busines - "Nobody is indispensable." GT would just keep going on. (Maybe with shorter time windows... ;) )

1960s - What will happen with Ferrari when Enzo retires?
1970s - Answer.

It's not rocket science, maybe it will change a bit, but it won't die (well it probably will on some bad day).

I think everybody who works in PD knows what their core values are and what differentiates them from t10 and EA. Most important thing is that vision of the game does not change and key personnel in physics and graphical engine development are kept in-house. Parts of modelling of cars and tracks could be outsourced partly to improve efficiency of the team. Next leader of the company should also have passion for cars. Kaz sorry about the thread direction, we want you to continue :)

I don't agree. This game is Kaz's vision. He is the driving force behind it. Whoever took over would change it to their own vision. That would lead it in whatever direction that person wanted but I doubt I'd recognize it as Gran Turismo at that point.

Back