2015 Ford Mustang - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 6,247 comments
Tail lights here for those interested:

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...nting-fords-new-global-design-language-page-2

2015-ford-mustang-inline-2-photo-477980-s-original.jpg

I dunno - it reminds me of an Aston DB7

aston_martin_db7_vantage_coupe1.jpg

I wouldn't read to much into artist renderings.

I still don't understand why so many people think a retro styled Mustang will be bad for Ford. It's just the next evolution of the design.

I get why they chose the front lights, but the body shape is too much of a change. Slimline looks nice, but that shape looks way too much like an Aston. I personally believe if they had added more sharper elements to it (almost to the point of making it look kind of silly), we'd have something more outstanding that can still be identified as a Mustang.

If it's to be sold on the world market, then it has to appeal to a wider range of potential customers. In north America, a Ford coupe means 'Mustang'. Elsewhere in the world 'Mustang' and all the iconography that comes with the name, means very little.

If it's to be sold on the world market, then it has to appeal to a wider range of potential customers.

By looking even more similar to other cars? I'm not one to say much about business, but cars that retain some legendary appeal usually have sported an outstanding look from its time. Noticed how I identified it as an Aston? That's because Aston's kept similar designs throughout the years body shapes like that are usually recognized at that. The same could be said about the Mustang. I'm not saying it should be another boxy car; 4th-gen Mustangs (if I'm not mistaken) weren't boxy at all. It's just that the shape doesn't really say "muscle". What I think should've been done was tweak a few forms to look more different from other contemporary 2-door coupes. You'd still have the overall appeal of Ford's new look with more unique elements that still make you think it's what new muscle cars will look like.

Last edited:
By looking even more similar to other cars? I'm not one to say much about business, but cars that retain some legendary appeal usually have sported an outstanding look from its time. Noticed how I identified it as an Aston? That's because Aston's kept similar designs throughout the years body shapes like that are usually recognized at that. The same could be said about the Mustang. I'm not saying it should be another boxy car; 4th-gen Mustangs (if I'm not mistaken) weren't boxy at all. It's just that the shape doesn't really say "muscle". What I think should've been done was tweak a few forms to look more different from other contemporary 2-door coupes. You'd still have the overall appeal of Ford's new look with more unique elements that still make you think it's what new muscle cars will look like.

Well that's the thing. Outside of North America, 'mustang' and 'muscle car' are terms that just don't have the same connotations as they do in the domestic market.

I think a reworked, yet still retro next-gen Mustang could still work on a world scale, but i can see why Ford are doing it the way reports say they will.

I wouldn't read to much into artist renderings.

I still don't understand why so many people think a retro styled Mustang will be bad for Ford. It's just the next evolution of the design.

It's because people are too affixiated on the modern Mustang. They all agree that they look like the old ones, because they do, but people won't buy it (at least, not as much) if it doesn't look like a Mustang. Obviosly the new one will have styling cues but I pray Ford doesn't mess it up.

As far as that render, it looks too much like an Aston Martin, which, after seeing the recent Fords coming out, I don't doubt that it will look VERY similar to that rendering posted above. It doesn't look too* bad, but the rear end needs a total change and the back body panel needs to be jacked up more. Maybe flare out and have chrome wheel well trim. I do however very much like the roofline extending to the taillights, very Mustang like.

EDIT:

AN 8 SPEED AUTOMATIC???? HOLY CRAP

Here's a front rendering.

2015-ford-mustang-artists-rendering-photo-481617-s-1280x782.jpg

The grill needs to be pushed in with the Mustang and 3 stripes off to the right side, or at least have the rectangle surround the Mustang emblem. Think it needs to go up a bit as well, and push in the headlights. We aren't buying a DB9.

If they release as is, it will sell, but not very good I would think. Even though it's a render, it needs work.

Last edited:
It's because people are too affixiated on the modern Mustang. They all agree that they look like the old ones, because they do, but people won't buy it (at least, not as much) if it doesn't look like a Mustang. Obviosly the new one will have styling cues but I pray Ford doesn't mess it up.

It'll look like a Mustang as long as it's a 2 door coupe while a sloped rear window, it's not hard to keep the basic shape of a car.

The retro thing just looks so out of place now days, especially for something that's going to be a 2014 MY. Ford needs to update it as the crowd interested in the retro style is getting past the sport car age for the most part. People like my 65 year old dad like the retro styling, people like my 25 year old friends think it looks out of place. Younger people tend to gravitate towards more modern looking vehicles and if Ford's smart, which I believe they are, they'll make the Mustang look good enough and cost low enough to attract younger people. You win someone over with a great car early on, they'll more than likely be loyal to your brand for life.

Plus if it's going to be a world car it needs to be more than just something that's a modern interpretation of an old car. If Ford gets something that will win over people who like Z cars, RX-8's, etc. then they will be a big player in the sports car market.

The front of that rendering looks awesome, you can tell it's a Mustang and you can tell it's a Ford, but it looks modern and fairly bad-ass. The finished product won't look like that, but if it did I wouldn't be disappointed at all and would strongly consider one (barring the engine choices are there, i.e. EcoBoost).

Exactly, that's why they aren't continuing with the Boss. It wouldn't look right with the model.
Again thats all your opinion why dont we wait and see. Everyone will have a opinion on the mustang I think alot of people younger than us will be interested because they don't have ties to the older mustang like people my age does

From what I have heard you will still be able to tell its a mustang.

Think about the new viper that was just released, everybody thought it was going to have some crazy insane styling, and while it has changed, it is still very viper.

I personally like the Car & Driver rendering, though the headlights are too small. Other than that, it looks fantastic, and an eight-speed automatic sounds great. The way the whole car flows and pinches in towards the back reminds me of a One-77.

From those new Car & Driver renders, i'm seeing a lot of Jag XK at the rear, and quite a lot of Aston Martin at the sides and front... My opinion of this car keeps on changing though.
I really think Ford could have made it work if it was more of a retro design, the older gen would have loved it, as would have the younger generation (i don't buy into that: "younger people only appreciate modern stuff", that tends to get banded about).
I feel maybe Ford has missed a great opportunity... But on the other hand, maybe they could still be onto a winner, if the Car & Driver renders are close, in the sense that it looks so much like an Aston, (i mean let's face it... Aston's are traditionally good looking cars, pretty-much always have been), so if Ford can build a car that looks like an Aston, for Mustang money... i feel it has the potential to sell like hot cakes.

If that renderings anything to go by, all they need to do is clear up that fussy rear end, and shorten up that long-ass wheelbase (imo). So far, out of the new Viper, C7 Corvette and this Mustang (i know they're different cars that don't compete against each other), i find the Mustang the most appealing.

Last edited:
It doesn't look right for a Mustang, it looks more like something Ford will make to compete will the Corvette.

It looks exactly like something Ford will make to compete with the Nissan 370z, Audi A5, BMW 4-series, Merc C-class coupe, Porsche Cayman, Hyundai Genesis Coupe etc etc. As well as the traditional Camaro and Challenger.

Quite like the C&D render. Has a few trad Mustang cues, but if that's anything close to what the car will actually look like, I approve. Far better than any other current Ford. Or indeed any Ford for the last decade or so.

Reserving judgment. Rear end looks proper, front needs some work. Too much overhang.

I'm not seeing... any Mustang in that.

I'm seeing "Generic Ian Callum design #10", except with a Mustang badge plastered on to the still-Aston-shaped front grill.

I'm not seeing... any Mustang in that.

I'm seeing "Generic Ian Callum design #10", except with a Mustang badge plastered on to the still-Aston-shaped front grill.
Agreed. If that came out as the Mustang people would be pissed. It's a cool design in itself but it's not a Mustang. It looks like an Aston or Jag. Awful, awful, awful.

Or they are actually going to make it 100 times better. A modernized Mustang will be awesome.
A modernized Mustang is a great thing. But that thing doesn't look anything like a Mustang. When people look at a Mustang they have to know it's a Mustang.

Last edited:
Ford has been posting a teaser on their facebook pages about something they are revealing at SEMA. Makes it seem like it's more than just a project car. Anyone get any clues from this photo? I'm going to guess more than likely it's Mustang related. The Blue/Black stripe is their livery for Ecoboost.

621437_10151193975308820_1727425279_o.jpg

Ford has been posting a teaser on their facebook pages about something they are revealing at SEMA. Makes it seem like it's more than just a project car. Anyone get any clues from this photo? I'm going to guess more than likely it's Mustang related. The Blue/Black stripe is their livery for Ecoboost.

They could have dropped in the EcoBoost V6 from Taurus SHO but it has the hood vents from the GT model and I don't thing they would use a V8 model and put a V6 in it.

Agreed. If that came out as the Mustang people would be pissed. It's a cool design in itself but it's not a Mustang. It looks like an Aston or Jag. Awful, awful, awful.

A modernized Mustang is a great thing. But that thing doesn't look anything like a Mustang. When people look at a Mustang they have to know it's a Mustang.

I look at the fourth generation and I don't see any Mustang there, either.
The only thing I will say is this:
280px-Giugiaro_quarter.jpg

First shown in 2006, but looks awfully similar to those renders.

Most people I've talked to are pretty angry that Ford isn't continuing with the current design. I told a few friends that they are changing it and they demanded to know WHY and claimed it was a stupid idea.

Slashfan
Most people I've talked to are pretty angry that Ford isn't continuing with the current design. I told a few friends that they are changing it and they demanded to know WHY and claimed it was a stupid idea.

While I can understand people not liking a new design or not wanting it to change too much, people would have to be pretty thick to think Ford could continue making the same thing for the rest of time. People unwilling to accept change (and car manufacturers believing that this is the way forward) is exactly the reason that Chrysler and GM found themselves in deep poo a few years back. Ford is unlikely to be dumb enough to make a similar mistake - and much as some people don't like it, the Mustang has to change eventually.

The current car is just a re-fresh from the 2005 release. That makes it nearly 8 years old. Time to move on to something new. 👍

But how many of those people would actually go out and buy the car when it comes out? I've heard people complain about what the new design might be too, but they are people that would never in a million years buy a new car. Ford's going to design the car to attract buyers, they don't need to listen to people that have no plans to purchase the car.

I would buy a redesigned Mustang in an instant, in its current form, not so much.

But how many of those people would actually go out and buy the car when it comes out? I've heard people complain about what the new design might be too, but they are people that would never in a million years buy a new car. Ford's going to design the car to attract buyers, they don't need to listen to people that have no plans to purchase the car.

I would buy a redesigned Mustang in an instant, in its current form, not so much.

I never said it was over the new concepts, just the fact that it's being changed. I agree it's time for a change, I just don't like the direction it's being taken.

Back