Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 Visual Comparison

• Thread starter HuskyGT
  • 172 comments
United States
Utah
Comparing the FR-S with the 86.

I know that both don't have the stock body kit in these pics since I wanted to give them a different look, but there are a couple of other things that are different from both cars.

picture.php

picture.php

Notice the headlights. The Scion doesn't have the LED's that the 86 has. Also, the fog lights in the Scion are smaller, but they work in contrast with the Toyota's that are always off.

picture.php

picture.php

At the rear, things are basically the same. The only difference is the exhaust tips. (Please notice that I haven't changed the exhaust). The 86's exhaust tips are bigger and poke out of the bumper.

picture.php

picture.php

Now, at the interior, things are really different. First, obviously the Scion is Left hand drive. But there are other things that set both cars appart.

-The analog speedometer in the Scion is in both miles and kilometers, where in the Toyota is only in kilometers.

-The Digital speedometer in the Scion reads in miles exclusively.

-The Toyota has a engine start button. the Scion has a more common key start.

-The Scion's dashboard is much more conservative and the controls for the a/c and other things look less expensive.

-The red accents in the seats are different in both cars.

So this car really isn't just a full copy-paste from PD. It's actually different, even if it is only the interior details.

As for the handling, the Scion does feel less understeery OVERsteery. That's all I can say.

Last edited:
I like it to be honest, quite a quirky design to say it's a Scion.

Then I googled Scion & realised it's a brand produced by Toyota Motor Corporation....

EDIT: I see some one beet me to it but unlike hem im comparing the cars stock as is from the dealer and in more depth and detail , Mod Daan Has merged both threads together * thank you*
EDIT 2:interior shots coming TOMORROW , glitching inside takes forever... -.-
After reading countless post about how PD Just Mindlesley swapped the interior of the 86 and rebadged it I decided to debunk this myth by taking matters into my own hands.After countless hours of finding each deference in a gt500 car and NASCAR's * yes they have slight aesthetic differences people! * I Imediatley knew pd Had Correctly modeled in all the details to the FR-S that made the FR-S a FR-S ..
So i present to you
--------------------Twins the FR-S/ GT 86 story... ---------------------

FR-S no licence late by frogmanlego, on Flickr
86 Licence plate by frogmanlego, on Flickr

Headlight FR-S by frogmanlego, on Flickr
Headlight 86 by frogmanlego, on Flickr

Fog light Missing FR-S by frogmanlego, on Flickr
Fog light 86 by frogmanlego, on Flickr

Exhaust pipe FR-S by frogmanlego, on Flickr
Exhaust Pipe 86 by frogmanlego, on Flickr

Taillight FR-S by frogmanlego, on Flickr
Taillight 86 by frogmanlego, on Flickr

FR-S side blinker by frogmanlego, on Flickr
86 - side blinker by frogmanlego, on Flickr

Combo shot! by frogmanlego, on Flickr

Interior To the GT 86 by frogmanlego, on Flickr

and MPH and killomerters on the FR-S by frogmanlego, on Flickr
Kilometers on the 86 by frogmanlego, on Flickr
I suggest you view the interior pictures on flickr itself to zoom in , and there a tad to dark on my pc for some reason =D

As you can see there both similar yet unique in there own ways
TheeFrogmanlego out...

Last edited:
Good lord you beet me to it... W/E mines more detailed HAHA!

Also,seeing that the interiors are quite different,it makes me quite,quite sad that instead of working on making a brand new car,they spent their working potential on another 86GT
LOL

Ryk
next you'll tell me the steering wheel is on the other side

Yes hey are, up next i will do a full detailed interior shoot. :) They also have a different vibe to them ive sat in both. My person favorite is the 86, its just better , second is the BR-Z and last is the FR-S

Good lord you beet me to it... W/E mines more detailed HAHA!

Sorry man! :D

A7X_GT5
Wow,the new car is so much better!Definitely worth the 5 month wait without any additional content 👍

I was just trying to make something possitive out of all the criticism. But in this case I have to admit that your sarcasm is somewhat valid.

Last edited:
I like it to be honest, quite a quirky design to say it's a Scion.

Then I googled Scion & realised it's a brand produced by Toyota Motor Corporation....

You didn't know that? :odd:

Also,seeing that the interiors are quite different,it makes me quite,quite sad that instead of working on making a brand new car,they spent their working potential on another 86GT
LOL

:rolleyes:

You didn't know that? :odd:

:rolleyes:

Nope, from what I can gather the Scion is produced for the North American market, not sure about others in the UK but I've never actually seen a Scion in person nevermind knowing they are produced by Toyota :)

What does a Glitch Race suit get when you drive the Scion relative to the Toy Yoda (White suit/Red lid).

Nice pictures (Sorry for my earlier post -) - Any Night shots?

Great work. From my quick comparison when looking at both cars in their respective dealerships back-to-back, I only noticed the LHD/RHD and the foglight differences. Good work on finding them, I look forward to the interior comparo.

"Scion" initially reminded me of the aliens in Battlezone II. Not knowing anything about the cars, and personally thinking the name was a bit crap, I Googled them, so now I know. I think this was my introduction to the brand...

Wow,the new car is so much better!Definitely worth the 5 month wait without any additional content 👍

Haha, I would love to "lol" at you complaints... However I kind of agree with your sarcasm.. Kind of slacking by PD to be honest

You could say that PD have been watching some of us play the game and have also started cutting corners! lol

Haha, I would love to "lol" at you complaints... However I kind of agree with your sarcasm.. Kind of slacking by PD to be honest

Sure they are considering that GT Academy online event built itself. Sheesh, complaints always follow everything out of PD. You think they wanted to hold up the DLC from last month, obviously it wasn't by choice. PD doesn't put prices on DLC and you get two courses and four layouts for a fiver. Plus a free car, whilst it's supposedly a carbon copy of one already in the game it actually isn't. Once you drive them you will notice that these cars while similar looking, aren't that similar once you drive them.

These cars look pretty nice, wonder how many parts the Scion has, since Scion is known for having lots of options for tuning and changing the visual appearance of each Scion.

Thanks for the break down on both cars. You said you also did the Nascar cars? I've been trying to find out if anyone has pics of every single interior of them since they're all slightly different even driving positions are different on each one.

Thanks a lot for the info and pictures! It's really good to show people the ammount of small work needed to make each version correct. Good work!

I'm sorry, but the FR-S will never be unique enough to be it's own car for one very good reason:

It's a rebadged GT 86.

Because it has no fog lamps it's a different car?
Because it has a different muffler tip it's a different car?
Because it doesn't have HID headlamps it's a different car?
Because that area of the tail lamp isn't red (or vice versa) it's a different car?
Because it's not RHD (or LHD) it's a different car?

Because it has no fog lamps it's a different car?
Because it has a different muffler tip it's a different car?
Because it doesn't have HID headlamps it's a different car?
Because that area of the tail lamp isn't red (or vice versa) it's a different car?
Because it's not RHD (or LHD) it's a different car?
Exactly. ;)

Back