Should GT6 have a "Time Savers" pack?

United States
The Speedway
D3ATHS1NBUNCH3S
Title says it.

I personally say no. Online public lobbies would be completely ruined by people who abuse this.

Last edited:
It... kinda doesn't. What is a "Time Savers" pack? Like... paying real money to unlock cars in the game?

It's a pack you buy that gives you nearly full access to anything around your "level" in a game, without having to make the prerequisites. It has no place in GT6 and should definitely NOT be included.

Anything associated with Electronic Arts should not be included. "Time Saver Pack" AKA "Ripoff Pack" included

What happened to the days of cheat codes for that sort of thing? Instead of pressing a combination of buttons to unlock everything we're handing over cash? No thanks.

Oh. Well then no. Absolutely not. GT6 should be designed in a way that you want to progress through it. Not in a way that you want to pay to get around progressing through it. The Chromeline and Stealth cars alone broke GT5's balance as it was, so I'd prefer we didn't even get stuff like that for GT6.

Also, considering we don't even know what GT6 will even be like, what is the point of asking this question at this point in time?

Oh. Well then no. Absolutely not. GT6 should be designed in a way that you want to progress through it.

Not always possible. I just want a sim where I can take a car and go racing. Nothing is going want to make me "progress" though some role playing scenario.

Paying for this stuff is ridiculous. There should be a mode where everything is available, and hopefully online is accessed from this mode.

My initial answer - No

However if I was told they were putting this or something similar in then I'd say why not do like £1 for 2.5 million in game credits. I dont like the idea of "buy this" everythings unlocked and purchased.

If it would be like NFS, then it would be $8-$20 and all of a sudden you have 1500 cars.
Not fun, and although I bought one before, not cool for GT.

Not always possible. I just want a sim where I can take a car and go racing. Nothing is going want to make me "progress" though some role playing scenario.

Paying for this stuff is ridiculous. There should be a mode where everything is available, and hopefully online is accessed from this mode.

You'll be taking a car and racing anyways, but why not start low and build up to more powerful cars so you actually feel like you're going somewhere.

You'll be taking a car and racing anyways, but why not start low and build up to more powerful cars so you actually feel like you're going somewhere.

Because it feels like I'm going nowhere. Starting off with nothing means you need to settle with 1 of a dozen cars until you can get something else, so if you want to race LMP's, the game basically says "too bad, go be bored driving this taxi instead". I don't buy a 1000 car game with the intend of driving 10 cars.

Sitting around and grinding in a car that you're forced to use because there is a stupid initial money cap doesn't sound fun to me. It was old after the first time (GT1). Doing it again and again just because a new game came out seems like the epitome of pointlessness. At this point, if they're even going to have credits and the like, I want to be able to carry every single thing over from one game to the next so I can skip the dull part and just get on with enjoying the game.

I can see what you're talking about, but GT6 should have a large amount of cars from every level to chose from, so you should never really feel like you're so limited.

I can see what you're talking about, but GT6 should have a large amount of cars from every level to chose from, so you should never really feel like you're so limited.

But you are, no matter how many cars there are, you can only have so many early on. And if there are many, many cars to buy you can very often find yourself unable to satisfy an urge to drive a particular car or type of car.

It's never hard to get one or two particular cars, not even in GT5 as it was originally. However trying to get everything so you can just do what you want becomes an annoyance.

I don't see the appeal, not a single piece of it, to earning things. It is the low point of Gran Turismo. I also don't see why there is any reason to debate why a game should or shouldn't have unlocks because the open game and closed game aren't mutually exclusive. Have traditional GT Mode, then on the side have simulation mode where you can do whatever.

My feelings are mixed about this...i think that there should be groups of "Time Saver" packs available (i.e. All Muscle Cars, All Classic Rally), but they are only available to buy after you reach a certain level in game...maybe the ability to buy a F1 pack when you reach 30?

But...GT Mode is Simulation mode.

I'm not talking about semantics. I call the hypothetical free mode simulation mode because traditionally, simulators don't involves credits or unlocks. They focus on simulating whatever they are about.

There can be simulators that model the financial side of driving, but there can be no argument that GT's credit system (and the even more appalling level system) have nothing to do with simulation and everything to do with Need for Speed, etc.

I'm a long time sim guy, but GT is in a position to do what more realistic sim makes can't do, and that's model large amounts of cars and take the resources available to a very high sales volume developer. If some true sim developer comes along and makes a GT like game without any of the console game influence, then GT can do whatever it wants. Until then, I would like it if GT tried to learn more toward simulator rather than arcade game.

I'd say no, and I wouldn't want to do it personally but that's just my opinion. If PD introduced it, it wouldn't bother me. I just wouldn't use it myself.

If someone decided to pay real money to unlock things, that's their choice. Is it a good choice? Not necessarily, since you haven't been able to play the game, grow and work your way up to the higher level events & cars. Hurts your development, but some people don't care about that. If PD wants to give them the right to choose, who am I to argue against that?

What I wouldn't mind seeing is a change to the leveling system. Make it easier to level up, and just have a higher number of levels. Maybe some leveling milestone awards too(Ex: a new car at lvl 20).

I've brought it up before and been shot down, but it would be neat if you could work your way through A-Spec/B-Spec, then start a new career again for a special reward(ex: a 5m cr race car), similar to the 'Prestige' system from COD. Just an extra thing for the die-hards to shoot for.

If people want to waste their money on it why not, it doesn't affect me.

It does, because development time goes into making sure these extraneous warts actually work in-game and into preventing the oiks from accidentally stumbling upon the same benefits via bugs etc.

It always galls me to see the effort that goes into milking "consumers" when it really ought to be going into the game. This includes the glittering spectra of "special" and "limited" editions that accompany any big release these days, and pre-order bonuses, and exclusive DLC and other annoying segregating, marginalising and downright insulting practices.

But I agree that games should have more freedom for player expression, so I'm not saying the game shouldn't offer such a "mode" or feature set, just that you shouldn't have to pay a premium for it.

Sorry OP but if you wanted that then why play games at all its like cheating essentially and thats never any fun.

It's as much cheating as the moon is cheese. And if it wasn't fun, no one would do it.

I also don't like the ridiculous myth that by progressing from slow cars to fast, your skills somehow improve.

I bought one for burnout paradise, and I felt like that was the thing to do, as the cars you race against are always evenly matched to you, regardless of the event.

As for the GT series, NO. Half the fun in the game is collecting cars! Plus, if this was implemented, it would KILL trading. If you want a certain (non DLC) car, you should have to work for it, not pay for it

Half the fun in the game is collecting cars!
For who?

Plus, if this was implemented, it would KILL trading.
Trading doesn't exist. If PD added trading, they could make it so people who have unlocked the entire game could not trade.

If you want a certain (non DLC) car, you should have to work for it, not pay for it
That's ridiculous. Is it even possible to provide one logical reason to support this idea?

If we're talking about racing online, the problem with paying for stuff is that sometimes it can easily become a "pay to win" situation, which is all kinds of evilness.

You have to work hard to avoid the kinds of alienation this can create, if not the situation itself. Of course, I don't know if GT6 will be in a position to offer such problems, because I don't know what's going to be in it yet.

Players can do pretty-much whatever they want offline, for me, though.

gamerdog6482
I find that cheating is fun sometimes. Just not in GT.

I liked cheating when all it required was flipping to the back of a video game mag for the latest codes

This would take all the fun out of a game, the whole point is to earn more moeny to collect more cars, driving isn't the whole.

Back