• Thread starter pgagoober
  • 419 comments

pgagoober

Site Sponsor
United States
AZ
BadManTurismo
Hi Gang,
Before I get into the details, I would like to thank Jordan for allowing me to make this announcement here. I look forward to your feedback on my new app and I hope to make it an indispensable tool for every GT driver.

As we all know, a good tune is critical to getting the maximum performance from a car, and of course the driver. I had always found tuning to be a very difficult and time-consuming process, so I frequently relied on the tunes so generously provided here by the many expert tuners who contribute to GTPlanet. Despite the large number of tunes available in the community, I still found it challenging to find tunes that matched my preferred driving style and handling characteristics. I found myself wishing there was an easy way to adapt an existing tune, which I already liked, for use on other cars in my garage.

I decided to solve that problem, and for about a year now I have been working full-time on creating an iOS app that will do exactly that. I have created and applied for a patent on a system that will adapt existing tunes to any other car with a similar drivetrain, and I have incorporated that into a new iOS app. That app is called GTune 5. It was approved and released for sale in the App Store just this morning.

Rather than get into too much detail about what the app can do, it would be easier for you to visit the app's website at http://www.gtune5.com. You will find lots of info there and the website will continue to expand based on feedback from users such as yourselves. It is not my intention to replace or compete with the great work being done by the many tuners who contribute here. This app is intended as an enhancement to their efforts and of course your own.

The app does much more than just generate tunes. It includes various tuning assistants to help you tweak existing tunes without losing the handling balance of the car. It is also a great way to record your tunes and there are many more features to come - see the website for more details. The best way to get a clear picture of what the app can do is to watch the Getting Started video on the website and linked below.

Thanks all for your time and I hope you enjoy the app! I will try my best to respond to each and every question and suggestion. Post your thoughts here, send me a PM, or use the contact info provided on the website. I value ALL feedback. Criticism, after all, is an opportunity to improve 💡

Update 9/11/12: Version 1.04 has just been released and includes support for ALL Cars in GT5 :D

Update 10/4/12: Version 1.05 is now available in the App Store and includes support for the latest DLC.

Update 1/21/13: Version 1.06 has been submitted to the App Store.

Android users: There is no Android version currently available for GTune 5. I will consider creating one when I have finished all the additional features I have planned for the iOS version. In the meantime, be sure to check out RDArdvark's GT5 Tuner.

Last edited:
Looks very interesting. Well done. :D:tup: I will have to hijack my wife's iPad to try it out.

5 bucks is kinda steep, though I understand why you'd charge so much. I might pick it up when I get some to blow, it looks pretty awesome as is. Congrats on the release! I wish I coulda gotten in on a beta.

Hi Gang,
Before I get into the details, I would like to thank Jordan for allowing me to make this announcement here. I look forward to your feedback on my new app and I hope to make it an indispensable tool for every GT driver.
To confirm, I have authorized pgagoober's post here. Congratulations on finally getting this app out the door. 👍

5 bucks is kinda steep, though I understand why you'd charge so much. I might pick it up when I get some to blow, it looks pretty awesome as is. Congrats on the release! I wish I coulda gotten in on a beta.

Thanks Mike. I really wish I could sell it cheaper, but by the time Apple and Uncle Sam take their cut I'll walk away with around $2 per copy sold. I still wince every time I think about that. It took a long long time to make the app useful and I'm afraid I have yet to figure out how to not pay bills :D If anyone knows the secret to that please do let me know ;)

I do believe that once a customer has spent some time with the app they will see it as a very good value. I was able to significantly reduce my lap times using the tunes the app generated for me. It has given GT5 new life for me really, and although I'm obviously biased I honestly feel it is more valuable to my GT time than any DLC I have purchased so far. I'm excited to get behind the wheel again! I hope others will feel the same way.

There is a single question ringing out in my head , so I'll ask.

Not everyone agrees what changes in GT5 settings will actually change a given vehicles performance in a certain way. For example, many believe(myself included) that in GT5, raising the rear ride height(alone) increases rear grip, particularly in cornering.
Others believe that lowering the rear ride height increases rear grip.

I'm thinking a decision had to be made to create this app , in order to work , the programmer would have to decide how setup changes affect the car on track.
I guess first I'll see if that's correct before I go asking questions about which methods, etc are used.
Of course if that's more than you want to get into that's understandable as well, no hard feelings.

To confirm, I have authorized pgagoober's post here. Congratulations on finally getting this app out the door. 👍
Very neat that you did.👍

There is a single question ringing out in my head , so I'll ask.

Not everyone agrees what changes in GT5 settings will actually change a given vehicles performance in a certain way. For example, many believe(myself included) that in GT5, raising the rear ride height(alone) increases rear grip, particularly in cornering.
Others believe that lowering the rear ride height increases rear grip.

I'm thinking a decision had to be made to create this app , in order to work , the programmer would have to decide how setup changes affect the car on track.
I guess first I'll see if that's correct before I go asking questions about which methods, etc are used.
Of course if that's more than you want to get into that's understandable as well, no hard feelings.

That's all proprietary - no way man!!! :D J/K.

The nice thing about what this app does is that I didn't have to make that decision. If you decided a raised rear ride-height is what gives you the best results, then the app will respect that and use the same approach when generating new tunes. Basically, it will adapt to your preferences.

When you use the app to create a new tune, you get to choose the existing tune on which it should be based. So you can have multiple tunes, each with different handling characteristics and setup theories. You just choose which one you want to adapt when generating the new tune and the app will set the new car up accordingly.

pgagoober
When you use the app to create a new tune, you get to choose the existing tune on which it should be based. So you can have multiple tunes, each with different handling characteristics and setup theories. You just choose which one you want to adapt when generating the new tune and the app will set the new car up accordingly.

Having not used it yet, this is what I liked about the app from the video. RDaardvark made a great app for Android users (which I do still use) but it was based on one tuning theory. While I had some luck with the auto generated tunes I think that a system where I can say "make it similar to this one that works for me" may work better in the end. Perhaps not better but...quicker to get where I want the tune to be.

Any feedback yet from anyone who has used it? I'm curious. :dopey:

I was wondering if I could get someone with one of these devices and the app to make a tune for me. I could give you the info you need for the tune and I will offer you any sendable item in the game for your time and effort. Just curious to see how it turns out. You know, thinking about it, someone could make a buissiness here on GTPlanet doing this for people, if it is even possible to do. Thanks.

Having not used it yet, this is what I liked about the app from the video. RDaardvark made a great app for Android users (which I do still use) but it was based on one tuning theory. While I had some luck with the auto generated tunes I think that a system where I can say "make it similar to this one that works for me" may work better in the end. Perhaps not better but...quicker to get where I want the tune to be.

You pretty much nailed the primary goal of the app - create tunes that are customized to the user rather than a pre-defined set of handling characteristics. That approach can certainly produce good results but it will not work for everyone.

Any feedback yet from anyone who has used it? I'm curious. :dopey:

Feedback has been very positive so far, but to be honest not a lot of people have seen it before today. I can't wait to hear what you guys think when you've had a chance to play with it for a while.

The only thing I wish is that it had every car, or at least more Standard cars.I assume that most updates will include more and more of those, which I can't wait for. The car I'm using now isn't on the list, but when I'm done, I'll be attempting to see how well it builds a drift, rally and race tune for a few different cars. I'll let y'all know.

The only thing I wish is that it had every car, or at least more Standard cars.I assume that most updates will include more and more of those, which I can't wait for. The car I'm using now isn't on the list, but when I'm done, I'll be attempting to see how well it builds a drift, rally and race tune for a few different cars. I'll let y'all know.

Understood - I am working on gathering the necessary data to support all cars and they will be included in a future update. That will take a considerable amount of time as the tuning system needs in excess of 60 data points per car, all of which must be retrieved manually by navigating the game's interface. I hope to have all cars in the app by the end of September.

About that - do you guys feel it would be better to deliver all the standard cars in the same update or gradually add them as they become available? If you prefer a gradual approach, how would you suggest I prioritize the data collection?

I would suggest a gradual approach, but September isn't that far away.

I would start with the faster, more popular cars. 2J, Toyota 7, things of that nature. I mean, I'm sure somebody will be disappointed because you forgot some random Kei car, but realistically, just getting the big ones out of the way would be best. Also, prize cars, cars that many, many people have, like the Tank Car, not that we need a tuning for it, or the Mugen Motul Civic (that I'm currently tuning) would be an idea for popular cars.

Understood - I am working on gathering the necessary data to support all cars and they will be included in a future update. That will take a considerable amount of time as the tuning system needs in excess of 60 data points per car, all of which must be retrieved manually by navigating the game's interface. I hope to have all cars in the app by the end of September.

About that - do you guys feel it would be better to deliver all the standard cars in the same update or gradually add them as they become available? If you prefer a gradual approach, how would you suggest I prioritize the data collection?
Staggered keeps people happier for a longer wait.
Being new, I'd probably aim for the most popular cars first.
The link to all the tunes on GTPlanet will show you the cars with the most available tunes.
More tunes made will typically mean more tunes for that car have been requested and/or it's a popular car.👍

CSLACR
Staggered keeps people happier for a longer wait.
Being new, I'd probably aim for the most popular cars first.
The link to all the tunes on GTPlanet will show you the cars with the most available tunes.
More tunes made will typically mean more tunes for that car have been requested and/or it's a popular car.👍

Good idea. Thanks!

That's a very stylish looking app, nice work.

If I understand it right, the app doesn't actually create a tune. It's function is to log, copy and amend tunes.

My experience with the Android app was inputting settings into the app and the PS3 was too time consuming, pretty much a duplication of effort. Although it's good for storing multiple settings of the same car, if needed.

Have you considered an import/export function to allow users to share setups? (It might also help you complete the Standard database before GT6 is released). If this app could make copying tunes more convenient than web browser + PS3 then I might use it on my iPad.

rams1de
That's a very stylish looking app, nice work.

Thanks!

If I understand it right, the app doesn't actually create a tune. It's function is to log, copy and amend tunes.

Not exactly. Once you have one or more tunes stored in the app, it can create more tunes for you, based on an existing tune of your choice. The app comes with three sample tunes to help you get started, so you can start generating tunes right away if you like. If you don't like the sample tunes that are included, you can delete them and enter your own.

My experience with the Android app was inputting settings into the app and the PS3 was too time consuming, pretty much a duplication of effort. Although it's good for storing multiple settings of the same car, if needed.

I am not familiar with the Android app, but it is true that there will be some duplication of effort. That said, I have put a lot of work into making the app's usability as friendly as possible to minimize the amount of input required, and make any input that is required as straightforward as I could. Take a look at the Getting Started video linked in the first post above and you'll get the idea.

Have you considered an import/export function to allow users to share setups? (It might also help you complete the Standard database before GT6 is released). If this app could make copying tunes more convenient than web browser + PS3 then I might use it on my iPad.

Absolutely. Take a look at the "What's Next" tab in the website: http://www.gtune5.com/next.html. Thanks a lot for your input!

Up until now, I've never payed more than two dollars for an app, however, I think that the somewhat steep price is reasonable, and I hope to use it on Monday and give you feedback. It looks very nice, with a simple, stylish UI. Watching the Getting Started video, it appears you've thought of almost everything. I didn't think about changing the suspension balance in consideration of ballast added, but you did.

So far I'm impressed, and can't wait to use it.

~Turtle
turtle.gif

My initial thoughts on GTune5 after only 2 hours of use.

I was happy to support a GTP member who devoted so much time for this app to be created. But still I thought "For 5 dollars it better be pretty darn good!" Many of the other people on here must be thinking the same thing. Don't worry, it's absolutely brilliant.

If you watched the video, you know kind of how this app works. You find a tune you like, and the app modifies that tune a little to fit other cars.

GTune5 comes with three preset tunes: A 500PP Toyota 86 GT, a Golf GTi V at around 480 PP, and a Lamborghini Murcielago Super Veloce at more than 600 PP, all on Sport Soft tires. I will review these 3 cars because you will likely base other cars off of.

Toyota 86 GT- Well right off the bat, there's a small problem: I don't see an indicator as to whether or not an oil change has been applied. I decided to install it, and because of it I had to install sport exhaust instead of the racing exhaust included in the tune, that's okay though, because it sounds better.

The car astounded me, it jut grips and grips and doesn't stop gripping. What I liked is that I didn't need to exit corners a gear high in order to avoid spinning the tires. I thought the brake balance was odd because I like rear biased brakes so I can trail brake if I have to, but to my surprise, it was fine.

The weakness of the car? The transmission setup. I won't sugar coat it, because I know that you'll appreciate a little criticism. It's pretty bad for high speed circuits. At tracks where top end isn't important, it works fine, but on Cape Ring I was nearly topping out at 140 MPH. On the plus side, it works well other than the top speed.

Overall, transmission aside, the car is absolutely great, and delighted me with it's endless grip.

Lamborghini Murcielago SV- I was so impressed with the 86, that I decided to give the big bull a challenge. Win a race at Suzuka against 650PP cars. I was at a disadvantage, not only was I down on aerodynamics, I was still on SS tires. Oh, about that, I felt three emotions when I saw the SV was on SS tires. Surprise, happiness, and fear. I was surprised that it would have so much power on street tires, and I was happy because I love street tires. I was then struck with fear as I remembered that the Murcielagos and Aventador are notorious for understeer when power is added.

But I shouldn't have worried, the heavyweight still braked and cornered as fast as JGTC cars and cars like the XJ13 and Corvette C2 race car. It took some getting used to, because I had to wait to get get on the throttle until late in the corner because it pushed outwards when I stepped on the gas. This is a common problem with 4WD cars, so It didn't take too long to adjust.

It was good, except for one last problem. You guessed it, the tranny. It was way worse on this car, because I hit the top speed two times every lap, topping out at 183MPH. Fix that, and you're golden.

Golf GTi V- I'm going to keep this short, because I'm kind of tired. It handled pretty well, and lapped Trial Mountain in a respectable 1:36.XXX. Because I knew what the transmission would be like, I made my own. It understeered only when you told it to accelerate too soon, which can be corrected with a quick pulse of the brake. A really straightforward car to drive.

Overall, this app is worth it: Here is a quick pro\con list.

Pros
Easy to understand
Great preset tunes
The In-Tune system works well

Cons
Needs an MR preset (Like an NSX)
While you're developing the transmission setup, I recommend giving a transmission tuning guide.

I give this app a 9 out of 10. Good work my friend. I eagerly await future updates. If I find the time I'll go In-Depth on how the In-Tune system has worked for me.

This is a must have for GT5 enthusiasts. Keep it up!

~Turtle
turtle.gif

Thanks so much for your feedback Turtle! "Oh, about that, I felt three emotions when I saw the SV was on SS tires. Surprise, happiness, and fear." - That got me laughing out loud :D

You're absolutely right about the transmission setups - they will certainly need to be adjusted for whatever track you are running. I need to do a better job of making that clear. In general the app does nothing for the transmission settings right now. I am planning a transmission tuning feature for a future update and I will include plenty info on the website on how to use it when it is available. There are some comments on the site right now but it will need to be fleshed out as the feature develops. It's actually one of the items on my to-do list that I am really looking forward to as I think there is potentially some solid performance gains to be had.

I'm glad you like the sample tunes. I had fun with them also, but they are not likely to be suitable for everyone's preferences and are mostly provided just to help customers get started. The Lambo in particular was surprising to me as I too had much fear when I approached it :D

Thanks again for your comments. I am stoked that you liked it - that gives me more of a buzz than any sales figures :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Toyota 86 tune should work just fine as the basis for generating MR tunes. Give it a try and let me know what you think. If there are any issues I will certainly look into adding an MR sample tune. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
I didn't understand all the comments on the demo video but it seems an amazing tool. I don't believe there is an "automatic tuner program" but this thing you did is really good and must be a great help for any tuner to build one or several configuration for the same car.
I would like a lot to work with this when i'll be back to GT5 and tuning.
I'm not very good with computers. Did it work with laptop too ?? Or only Iphone ??? I don't have Iphone and i'll never have one.
Congratulation, really great job.

><(((((°>°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Thanks so much for your feedback Turtle! "Oh, about that, I felt three emotions when I saw the SV was on SS tires. Surprise, happiness, and fear." - That got me laughing out loud :D

You're absolutely right about the transmission setups - they will certainly need to be adjusted for whatever track you are running. I need to do a better job of making that clear. In general the app does nothing for the transmission settings right now. I am planning a transmission tuning feature for a future update and I will include plenty info on the website on how to use it when it is available. There are some comments on the site right now but it will need to be fleshed out as the feature develops. It's actually one of the items on my to-do list that I am really looking forward to as I think there is potentially some solid performance gains to be had.

I'm glad you like the sample tunes. I had fun with them also, but they are not likely to be suitable for everyone's preferences and are mostly provided just to help customers get started. The Lambo in particular was surprising to me as I too had much fear when I approached it :D

Thanks again for your comments. I am stoked that you liked it - that gives me more of a buzz than any sales figures :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Toyota 86 tune should work just fine as the basis for generating MR tunes. Give it a try and let me know what you think. If there are any issues I will certainly look into adding an MR sample tune. Thanks for the suggestion!
I'm glad you're happy, and you really deserve praise after working on it for so long. I thought about using the 86 as a base for MR tunes. I think tomorrow I'll try it and then I'll try adding a tune I really like from here on GTP or my own tune and base more off that.

I look forward to more testing of GTune 5, especially looking at how the app tunes MR cars because they can be very unbalanced without a good tune. I'll do more testing tomorrow.

~Turtle
turtle.gif

praiano63
I didn't understand all the comments on the demo video but it seems an amazing tool. I don't believe there is an "automatic tuner program" but this thing you did is really good and must be a great help for any tuner to build one or several configuration for the same car.
I would like a lot to work with this when i'll be back to GT5 and tuning.
I'm not very good with computers. Did it work with laptop too ?? Or only Iphone ??? I don't have Iphone and i'll never have one.
Congratulation, really great job.

><(((((°>°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Thanks a lot Praiano. I'm afraid that for now this is only available for iPhone or iPod Touch. It could also be run on an iPad but it is not a native iPad app. If the app is successful I will be looking into creating an Android version, but for now I don't have any plans for a desktop app. Sorry about that. I've been a fan of your tunes for some time now, so I hope there will be an opportunity for you to use the app at some point in the future.

Hi all,
I've been working on a priority list of Standard cars and here is what I came up with. I hope to make these available within the next couple of weeks - depending on Apple's review turnaround time. Let me know if there is anything you would like me to add to this list.

Thanks!

Audi R8 LMS Race Car '09
Audi R8 LMS Race Car (Team PlayStation) '09
BMW 2002 Turbo '73
BMW M3 CSL '03
BMW M3 GTR '03
BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '09
Caterham Seven Fire Blade '02
Dodge SRT4 &#8216;03
Gran Turismo Formula Gran Turismo
Honda ARTA NSX (JGTC) &#8216;00