• Thread starter dr_slump
  • 88 comments

dr_slump

Premium
Switzerland
Switzerland
the_dr_slump / GTP_dr_slump
Matterhorn

Not much to say... Here are some real pics of the upcoming Matterhorn track.

Note: The track itself is not existant, most roads are there but they have no tarmac and are not sized for a racetrack. The buildings are the same as seen on GT6 pic(s). The scenery is about the same, although the pics in this thread are more snowy. Believe me, in summer the snow can melt ;).

Trackmap
MatterhornGT6IRLingamesummer_zps3379e34e.jpg

GT6
GT6ConceptMovie2013E3.png

Real
1437359.jpg

34895597.jpg

81321746.jpg

30187464.jpg

39053024.jpg

4823395.jpg

GT6
Bildschirmfoto2013-06-11um210330_zps130add64.png

Real (satelite)
GT6mysticRoadMatterhorn_zps844bc31b.jpg

Some other pics....
81321390.jpg

32583070.jpg

39052998.jpg

4823324.jpg

66542261.jpg

83660279.jpg

83986504.jpg

20513364.jpg

13945068.jpg

And the next town, Zermatt
77789681.jpg

All pics are from exactly that location.

Last edited:
Impressive gallery Herr Slump.

It looks like a great race track, I hope PD somehow manages to make it feel different to the Eiger track.

👍

It's awesome that with the lack of information we received out of GT6 at the conference, you people are able to contribute and add much more than any of us could've anticipated.

👍

It's awesome that with the lack of information we received out of GT6 at the conference, you people are able to contribute and add much more than any of us could've anticipated.
Thanks!

It wasn't that hard to find out, I was there once and walked around that lake there and drove with that train, etc.
The pics are not mine (I barely ever shoot photos), but I knew it was this place.

Another place in Switzerland which PD turn into a racing track again. :) These trains and railways remind me of Grindelwald from GT2, which is Swiss, too, and located in a few kilometers from Eiger Nordwand of GT5. :cool:

EDIT: How far is Mitterhorn from Eiger Nordwand and Grindelwald IRL?

Last edited:
Great work man. Gunna be some great photo opportunities here in GT6 no doubt!

There are several parts of the track that have been blocked off, suggestion more, and possibly longer, variations. Missing a pit though.

Sweet video. I see online rooms using it more for drifting than racing. Or just plain cruising and hanging out if there is time change.

I wonder if there is going to be a longer variation which goes near Gornergrat station. Scenery aside, it's the only way this track has to be "located at over 3000m above sea level". The current layout isn't.

X1S1Bkz.jpg

wF3yPOn.jpg

I hope it doesn't have the insane incline and decline at the beginning that the Eiger K trail had. Some cars couldn't make it up the incline, and not crashing it whilst maintaining a decent speed on the decline was a major struggle, and very unrealistic. If it's all tarmac it'll be less of an issue though

I hope it doesn't have the insane incline and decline at the beginning that the Eiger K trail had. Some cars couldn't make it up the incline, and not crashing it whilst maintaining a decent speed on the decline was a major struggle, and very unrealistic. If it's all tarmac it'll be less of an issue though

Wait, having a major incline featured in real life in a MOUNTAINOUS area is unrealistic?

Wait, having a major incline featured in real life in a MOUNTAINOUS area is unrealistic?

On a real rally course I'd imagine they'd avoid telling their competitors to virtually drive off a cliff in terms of car control and acceleration.

I'm no expert but I think that event organisers would avoid designing a rally course to follow a drop as steep/dangerous as that.

On a real rally course I'd imagine they'd avoid telling their competitors to virtually drive off a cliff in terms of car control and acceleration.

A real rally course would avoid following a drop as steep/dangerous as that.

It's not a real rally course.

I know that, because a real rally course wouldn't have such a steep drop as that.

What's your point?

Gran Turismo are trying to emulate reality remember.

The reality of the environment itself. Not the fact we can race cars there. It's part of the whole point.

The reality of the environment itself. Not the fact we can race cars there. It's part of the whole point.

Gran Turismo is trying to emulate real racing first and foremost. Realistic race tracks designed on real environments are great. The Eiger Nordwand succeeded on the latter but failed on the former with the K trail.

Gran Turismo isn't an environment simulator. It's a racing simulator. The start of Eiger K trail is not like real racing.

You guys need to see the Monte Carlo rally's on YouTube. Those drops onto rocks below are insane. I think recently, Robert Kubica slammed into the entry of a small bridge crossing almost plunging off the edge. I'm too lazy to look for the video.

Gran Turismo is trying to emulate real racing first and foremost. Realistic race tracks designed on real environments would are great.

Gran Turismo isn't an environment simulator. It's a racing simulator. The start of Eiger K trail is not like real racing.

Rallying is different from racing. Look at events such as Pikes Peak, the Dakar. Rallying is about elevation changes, uneven terrain, and going off road.

Also PD are NOT trying to emulate real racing first are they? It's supposed to be a "Driving Simulator" firstly before racing.

Sorry for dragging this off topic. Matterhorn circuit itself looks pretty sweet, fast and flowing. Should be a blast.

You guys need to see the Monte Carlo rally's on YouTube. Those drops onto rocks below are insane. I think recently, Robert Kubica slammed into the entry of a small bridge crossing almost plunging off the edge. I'm too lazy to look for the video.

I agree, but the drops are insane, not the actual path the courses follow. Rally courses tend to zig-zag instead of launching directly down hills.

Rallying is different from racing. Look at events such as Pikes Peak, the Dakar. Rallying is about elevation changes, uneven terrain, and going off road.

I agree that rallying is about elevation changes, uneven terrain, and off-roading, but as far as I'm aware none of those courses have a long near-straight dirt descent at an angle which takes your car to it's maximum speed and then serves you up with a fairly sharp right hander, simply because that would be unbelievably dangerous in real life.

I also apologise for going off topic.

Back