Parnelli Bone

www.gtcarreviews.com
Premium
United States
Columbia, MD.
Parnelli_Bones
Go to this link:

http://www.granturismo2.com/index2_en.html

and it tells us that if we scratch the logo of our GT disc, we'll get an authentic pit lane scent. Anybody have any clue what they're talking about? I never even heard this one before...

You may have to click on the New Features link at the bottom of the page to read what I found.

Last edited:
I have no idea. I've never heard of this being for sale or anything. All I know is that this is supposedly a site approved by Sony, so when I found it I got all excited. Maybe it would tell us the official reason for the horsepower differences from dealer to racetrack. Maybe it would give an official explanation for all the errors and glitches in the game. But no! If anything, this site is pretty sad. It doesn't say anything that I don't already know. The only new feature it mentions happens to be this scent thing!

Last edited:
I have this copy of GT2, there was a little inset card inside the case that said if i rubbed the top surface of the disc with a piece of material and then smell it, it would release the odour of a pit lane, petroleum and oil. Was a gimmick more than anything.

Cybermonkey24
I have this copy of GT2, there was a little inset card inside the case that said if i rubbed the top surface of the disc with a piece of material and then smell it, it would release the odour of a pit lane, petroleum and oil. Was a gimmick more than anything.

Did you try it, did you get the smell?

Looking at the site it seems that it is for the version of GT that came with red and blue disk's, my version isn't coloured like that. Wouldn't work anyway cause it's pre-owned so the smell would have long gone.

Damage... I didn't know that GT2 had damage included?

[font=geneva, arial]'Damage [/font]
[font=geneva, arial]Gran Turismo 2 also includes car damage for the first time. Now you will need to drive even more precisely as collisions could alter the performance of your car. Apart from looking bad in the replay, the appearance of cars in-game won't be affected, but handling will. Clean overtaking manoeuvres are the answer.'[/font]

Real engine sounds?

[font=geneva, arial]'Real Engines [/font][font=geneva, arial]In order to enhance the all round feeling of real life cars and accurate driving styles, Gran Turismo 2 features all the real sounds from the best cars in Europe. '[/font]

This makes me laugh.

'When you can predict how the car will react, how much grip it will have, that's when you can drive it to its limit. In the world of Gran Turismo, everything is in the car setup. Time spent on the test track and in the garage getting your car's tuning right will translate into improved handling in race conditions and fractions of seconds off lap records.
'

Not forgetting the theif nicking your cars you have spent so much time setting up... Better AI as well apparantly, humph.

TMM

[font=geneva, arial]Gran Turismo 2 also includes car damage for the first time. Now you will need to drive even more precisely as collisions could alter the performance of your car. Apart from looking bad in the replay, the appearance of cars in-game won't be affected, but handling will. Clean overtaking manoeuvres are the answer.'[/font]

Real engine sounds?

[font=geneva, arial]'Real Engines [/font][font=geneva, arial]In order to enhance the all round feeling of real life cars and accurate driving styles, Gran Turismo 2 features all the real sounds from the best cars in Europe. '[/font]

The damage is in the game options...
options7ja.jpg

About the sound, it's true. I remember that i saw some info about the making of GT on the net once. They take lots of pics from the cars to make accurate 3D models, and also sound samples :)

the real engine sounds are So so. especially in the Starlets and Vitz/echo/Yaris. you can barely hear the engine. The "damage" in the game is minor. you mustly blow seering components, and I think suspension. I always seemed to break something in the right front wheel. it doesn't work on my disk anymore, however, as I have a good sized scratch wich is most likely right over the data for the damage routine

and thinking of...why would you scratch out the printed label on the disk? the shiny stuff is where the actuall CD is recorded.

TMM

Real engine sounds?

Yeah, damage is on the arcade disc, but it's really lame. If you choose this option, it only affects YOUR car, not the drones. It would be really cool if the other 5 cars were prone to handling damage, too..it would be funny, too. Damage does make 2-player games interesting, tho!

Cybermonkey24

In other words, somebody at Polyphony finally figured out how to get us to legally huff gasoline!

Parnelli Bone
Yeah, damage is on the arcade disc, but it's really lame. If you choose this option, it only affects YOUR car, not the drones. It would be really cool if the other 5 cars were prone to handling damage, too..it would be funny, too. Damage does make 2-player games interesting, tho!

I was forgetting that, reading the web site I thought it was for the sim mode.

MacRoadster
About the sound, it's true. I remember that i saw some info about the making of GT on the net once. They take lots of pics from the cars to make accurate 3D models, and also sound samples :)

Are you sure that was for GT2? They may well have not bothered for the effect it has, loads of people complain about the engine noise and how unrealistic it is.

TMM
Are you sure that was for GT2? They may well have not bothered for the effect it has, loads of people complain about the engine noise and how unrealistic it is.
I saw it some years ago, i can't be 100% sure... it could be for GT3, but i think it was for GT2.

In my opinion the sounds could have more quality, but i don't think they are unrealistic, they seem close to the real ones to me. I think that just the way it was recorded and/or the format/adjustments they did to them to use with the game, wasn't the best one... :rolleyes:

Now the damage system is really a joke... you can go at 300km/h into a wall and your car will still run after it... 👎

In the official Gran Turismo site, under GT Heritage->GT2, they also mention that smell thing:
"The game was released in Europe as a double disc edition, with one disc housing the game's Arcade mode and the other - a rather novel scratch 'n' sniff disc with an authentic pitlane aroma - home to the now even more comprehensive GT mode."

MacRoadster
I saw it some years ago, i can't be 100% sure... it could be for GT3, but i think it was for GT2.

In my opinion the sounds could have more quality, but i don't think they are unrealistic, they seem close to the real ones to me. I think that just the way it was recorded and/or the format/adjustments they did to them to use with the game, wasn't the best one... :rolleyes:

Now the damage system is really a joke... you can go at 300km/h into a wall and your car will still run after it... 👎

In the official Gran Turismo site, under GT Heritage->GT2, they also mention that smell thing:
"The game was released in Europe as a double disc edition, with one disc housing the game's Arcade mode and the other - a rather novel scratch 'n' sniff disc with an authentic pitlane aroma - home to the now even more comprehensive GT mode."

The Scratch and Sniff disc was only avaliable at launch, I have one (still got every GT game released in the UK) and while the smell has now gone, originally it had a slight burnt rubber smell.

With regard to the sounds, they were reported to have been recorded from the cars for GT2, the problem is not the recording, but the hardware. The original Playstation was not that hot in the sound department and this would seem to be the most likely cause of poor car sounds. Does not matter how well you record something, if the playback equipment is not up to the job, its going to sound poor.

Scaff
The Scratch and Sniff disc was only avaliable at launch, I have one (still got every GT game released in the UK) and while the smell has now gone, originally it had a slight burnt rubber smell.

With regard to the sounds, they were reported to have been recorded from the cars for GT2, the problem is not the recording, but the hardware. The original Playstation was not that hot in the sound department and this would seem to be the most likely cause of poor car sounds. Does not matter how well you record something, if the playback equipment is not up to the job, its going to sound poor.

So if you play it on a PS2 then the sounds should be better?

TMM
Did you try it, did you get the smell?

Looking at the site it seems that it is for the version of GT that came with red and blue disk's, my version isn't coloured like that. Wouldn't work anyway cause it's pre-owned so the smell would have long gone.

Yep, the blue disc does this. It's great. And mine still gives off that scent today.

I know this is a REALLY old thread, but that is just wierd! Whoever came up with that must be mad. Oh and can I ask, why are some words yellow highlighted with red writing?

The highlighted red words are because they were keywords in your search. I think I had this too, but my GT2 disc is long gone.. :(

Actually, it’s good you brought this up again, because I had no idea about the scratch and sniff disk.
All these years I thought that the inside of the games cover smelt a bit like the interior of a new car. But no… scratch the disk, and it smells like oil and petrol. I’m sniffing it as we speak… this is great if you’re a hardcore petrol sniffer. 👍

*asleep*

Again, funny someone should bring this up now, since I only just rescued my original GT2 from my Mum's house as my old room is being converted into an office :( Ironically, I only got GT2 at launch kind of by accident... I had two games I wanted to trade in, and GAME had a deal where you could get the brand new GT2 for £15 if you handed in any two PS1 games! And yes, the GT Mode disc still smells like tyre rubber! :)

Actually, it’s good you brought this up again, because I had no idea about the scratch and sniff disk.
All these years I thought that the inside of the games cover smelt a bit like the interior of a new car. But no… scratch the disk, and it smells like oil and petrol. I’m sniffing it as we speak… this is great if you’re a hardcore petrol sniffer. 👍

*asleep*

:lol: didn't they tell you in school not to huff petrol? :lol:

Aww man, all this talk's making me sad that I don't have the scratch n sniff disc. My disc, as I said on another thread, was second hand, and it's not the blue and red one. So no chance of me ever smelling the whiff of petrol.....

The smell at the gas station is too strong :lol:.

Hey Robin, that's actually a good idea. Williams F1 did make a car freshener with Ambi Pur named 'Pit Lane' and 'Champion'. Why not GT? :D

I had this disc and yes it smelt like burnt rubber, its a shame i lost it ages ago. Dunno were your getting petrol and stuff from, coz it doesnt smeel like that

Latest Posts

Back