Did You See Anything Good Today? [Read First Post]

• Thread starter GilesGuthrie
  • 46,583 comments

GilesGuthrie

Staff Emeritus
United Kingdom
Edinburgh, UK
CMDRTheDarkLord
The previous DYSAGT thread just asked for people to say what they'd seen. It led to some pretty outlandish claims, and, well, rather devalued the whole thing.

So, now, we have a new thread, and new rules:
  • Please, only list cars that are interesting in some way. We don't want to see anything run-of-the-mill listed. In the previous thread, people announced having seen a BMW 328i, or a Nissan 240SX. These sorts of cars are not interesting, unless there is something specific about the car itself that makes it unusual, like seeing a new model on/before launch day, or a particularly good custom job. Cars worth less than $20,000 US when new will struggle to qualify as "interesting".
  • Don't just state the name of the car. Give us a picture at least - even if it's a crap one from a camera phone. If you can't show us the car, how can we believe that you saw it? And don't just replicate an image from Supercars.net or the vendor's web site: we want to see THE car that you saw.
  • Give us some context. Don't just post up a pic of a car and say that you saw it. It's much more interesting if you give us some context. Where/when/what you were doing when the sighting took place, for example.
  • Dealerships and Manufacturer/Tuner sponsored car shows do not count. This means that a race meeting/track day/concourse show/owner's club meeting does count. However, everyday "traffic" sightings are more interesting.

Please feel free to use the Reputation system to display your approval or otherwise of someone's claim. And please try to resist the temptation to slow-chat.

Im not one to usually argue about anything, but i dont see what the problem was with the old thread.
If people have to lie about what cars they've seen to get some sort of reaction from other users, then surely they have to be kinda pathetic.
Thing is not all of us can get pictures of what we saw. Most of the time when i see a nice car i'll be driving, it'll be moving too fast or i wont have my camera with me/phone ready. I understand its your job to moderate and as such i wont complain but i still think we should let people share what wonders of the automotive world they've encountered without having to abide by 'rules'.
On a sidenote, would you please example some of these 'outlandish claims' as i cant think of any that have seemed that outrageous.

thanks..
bondy

I'm going to have to agree with bondy here.

This is really going to kill the thread, that you have to post a picture of what you saw. I don't have a camera phone and I rarely take my camera around with me. Even if I did, I would have probably seen the car whilst on the move so I'll never get the chance to take the picture.

I really do understand why you have done this, all the false claims and everything, but we have lived with it haven't we? The threads like "how fast have you been in your car" and like that should be locked now if it's going to be applied to everything. IMO, that thread is more likely going to get false claims than this one.

It is rare I go against a Mod's decision, but here I am.

It will slow this thread down a lot more, and i'm not sure what triggered the new rules, but i suppose it'l stop people lying.

I usually have a camera of some kind with me (usually my phone), but a) it's a pain to get photos off it, b) the quality isn't too great and c) i usually miss the car completely - it drives off while i'm trying to get into the mode. When people are driving, or are even being driven, it's VERY difficult to get pictures indeed.

Just my 2 cents.

I can't see this thread working under the new rules, perhaps letting it die off is the best we can do for it - Does anyone want to volunteer to hold it's hand whilst it 'goes to sleep' :(

I'd also like to add my objection.

While I like to post what I've seen in the day, and hear what others have seen (And thus call the 'lucky buggers' repeatedly) I don't like standing in the cold (As it usually is) taking half decent photos with a less than half decent camera-phone.

We're not all Douglas DeMuro.

Jon.
It will slow this thread down a lot more, and i'm not sure what triggered the new rules, but i suppose it'l stop people lying.

Well, I don't know if anyone lied just to get up their post, it's a really cheap method to do so. But, I've never lied about a car I've not seen in the thread.

Edit : I still don't see this working....

I hate to disagree with you GG, but the others are right.

All the cars I saw a few days ago (FJ Cruiser, Commander, etc) couldn't get a photo taken. I had a photo phone with me, but those cool cars passed me on by.

But anyway, here's my contribution.

--------------------------------------------------------

Blue with white stripes Dodge Viper GTS.

I saw it at my neighbors home (we consider this neighbor rif-raf, so I crapped my pants when I saw it).

Photo:

well, what i posted just last night, the firebird, camaro, and porsche boxster, coulnt get pics off because i dont have camera phone and hardly ever have my camera.

but, if those are the new rules, ill start taking it with me on random trip to eat n park and the grocery store. :)

Almost forgot, what about night time? I mean, a lot of cameras are crap in the dark, including mine. :( and my camera phone is even worse.

Absolute B.S., Giles. Aboulute B.S.

One of my pet peeves it that everyone has all the money in the world and can afford anything they want. Like a Camera Phone, or a digital camera.

One of the great things about this thread is just being able to post a cool car you've seen, or one you thought was cool, even if you're the poor sap driving the rusty AE82 CHevy Nova, with it's 75hp 4A-LC, and three-speed auto because it's the best you can afford.

I can't afford a digital camera. I can't afford a Cameraphone. I'm not some sort of n00b who likes to lie, either, but I don't mind those who do. it's not a huge distraction.

so what if people lie? we can deal. however, I can't deal with a guy who thinks I should be excluded because I don't have enough money to afford a camera, just because people are lying. "OMG! LYING R BAD!"

You know, sometimes a bit of fantasy is kind of nice.

The other rules...i'm fine with. the camera rule....gotta go.

But anyway, here's my contribution.

--------------------------------------------------------

Blue with white stripes Dodge Viper GTS.

I saw it at my neighbors home (we consider this neighbor rif-raf, so I crapped my pants when I saw it).

Photo:

This is exactly the sort of thing that we're looking for.

I've read all the replies thus far, and all of the concerns you've raised were raised when the Mods were discussing this idea privately. However, the point of the change is not to be overly prescriptive. It's not to require you to produce evidence of having seen the car in question. It's merely to strongly encourage it. Also, the change is to raise the bar.

The simple fact of the matter is (and this is not personal, BMWteamPTG) that a Porsche Boxster is not interesting. They are ten-a-penny unless you live in Outer Mongolia. I know two owners!

Further examples of my point:

Uninteresting:

Lacking Credibility:

No Value:

Slowchatting: 👎

Lacking Picture, but interesting nonetheless:

The sort of thing we're looking for:

In the 20 minutes I've spent researching this post, it's become even more clear that the previous thread was nonsense. One member claims to have seen a Ferrari 456M GT Scaglietti (which was it? 456 or Scaglietti?), another (a Texan) claims to have seen a Viper but is unsure of the "make" (hint: Dodge). One is excited about a VW Golf GTi, another (immediately following) about a Toyota MR2.

Raise the bar folks. Show us interesting stuff.

The new rules stay.

On a trip to bluewater (shopping center in england) i spotted a BMW M6. i was with a mate (owns a MR2 Turbo) of mine at a Japanese car meet. not usually my thing but there was a massive turnout with some utterly tasteless cars but a few nice ones too! was quite a good laugh untill some idiots in vauxhall corsas decided to try and drive warpspeed in not the most clever pf places

(shame about the pic, underground car park light isnt very good)

Spec...

Specialized
On a trip to bluewater (shopping center in england) i spotted a BMW M6.

(shame about the pic, underground car park light isnt very good)

Spec...

That's what I'm talking about. This is exactly the sort of thing that this thread should consist of.
RO_JA
Learn to believe in people, why would they have a reason to lie?

I don't know why people would lie, but they do. It is the staff's belief that the previous thread facilitated, condoned, even encouraged it. Hence the change.

bondy_1625
Most of the time when i see a nice car i'll be driving, it'll be moving too fast or i wont have my camera with me/phone ready. I understand its your job to moderate and as such i wont complain but i still think we should let people share what wonders of the automotive world they've encountered without having to abide by 'rules'.

:indiff: Yeah, like the yellow Elise I just saw on the way home. :grumpy:

e6703403-elise-yellow-frentep.jpg

Cosmic
This is so stupid. Worst idea since The Convo forum got closed.

Yep. :rolleyes:

GilesGuthrie
The new rules stay.

Aww... is it that time of the month again? Yeah... to some, a black elise IS actually interesting and rare. Just because it's not your taste doesn't mean it should be discounted... Further more you are being hypocritical, I'd like to see how we're suppose to post interesting stuff but at the same time be believeable. I've seen a Bentley Flying Spur and a Maserati Quattroporte which are pretty damn rare around here and was shocked to but at the same time I hate those cars. I know people are gonna like to hear about them because they may like them. Hell, there's some people that just piss the hell out of everyone (well at least me) because of where they are located and what they see all the time. :rolleyes:

These new rules are interesting, i'm not too fussed about taking pictures just that i might not be able to take pictures of all the cars i have seen; Could be on the move or at night etc as other users here have pointed out.

I must agree with FPS on the 'whats interesting part', i mean its all relative what someone may find interesting someone else may not.

Lets just see how it goes, ey :D

X5.
I must agree with FPS on the 'whats interesting part', i mean its all relative what someone may find interesting someone else may not.

Agreed, the whole idea of cars that are "interesting" depends entirely on personal preference and location...besides, the name of the thread is "Did You See Anything Good Today?"....not "Did You See Anything Rare And Expensive Today?"...

I can understand the desire for photographic proof, but judging people's automotive tastes and labelling their contributions "uninteresting" or "pointless" is something I would not have expected to see at GTPlanet. 👎

I'm going to be surprised if this thread survives... :indiff:

GilesGuthrie
The simple fact of the matter is (and this is not personal, BMWteamPTG) that a Porsche Boxster is not interesting. They are ten-a-penny unless you live in Outer Mongolia. I know two owners!

Raise the bar folks. Show us interesting stuff.

The new rules stay.
first off, thats fine by me. as a n00b, use me and break me. i dont care. nothing personal.

around here, which i wont say where, but i will say it is in the riust belt and the closest BIG city i live to is 1:30 min away, not too many porsches around. ill keep that in mind next time.

now, i have a real eye opener for me.

found this '96 corvette grand sport in a parking lot at my school. beautiful. the pictures dont do it justice. in my lifetime, i have seen 3 and this one is the top of the list of the 3. i talked to the owner, it only has 23,000 miles on it and is driven only on clear, sunny days. its garage kept and taken care of impecably. enjoy :)

please, if this isnt what you want, delete it. this car is amazing to me. if it isnt to you all let me know. thanks

I'm sure the Corvette Grand Sport can stay because it is a special edition, and are seen less than a regular Corvette. Bloody nice pictures.

GilesGuthrie
This is exactly the sort of thing that we're looking for.
Thank you. :D

GG
I've read all the replies thus far, and all of the concerns you've raised were raised when the Mods were discussing this idea privately. However, the point of the change is not to be overly prescriptive. It's not to require you to produce evidence of having seen the car in question. It's merely to strongly encourage it. Also, the change is to raise the bar.
Ok, so let's say this:

Me
Well, this morning I saw:

Jeep Commander
Dodge Charger SRT8
BMW M3
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Would that be acceptable? With no photos attached?

I know that you may not think an M3 is rare (I think it is), but all 4 of these cars were passing by on the opposite side of the road, only giving me enough time to look at it, and identify it. Even if I had my camera completely ready to take a photo of a cool car passing by, I couldn't, since I wouldn't even have enough time to do it after I stared in awe at it.

But whatever. :indiff:

Sorry to burst your bubble Giles, but you do know certain cars are rare in certain places.

An M3 may actually be rare in a member's town.
BTW, I'll post a Lotus Elise whether you like it or not.
There aren't any in Plano and I haven't seen on the roads in a long time.

And why should dealers not count? The cars ARE interesting and how many times do you actually get to see a Ruf Yellowbird driving on the states WITH European plates?

This is stupid. I don't have the time the take a picture of everything I see. I'm more concerned on driving to my classes during the week. Besides, everyone hear would practically have to have a camera at all times in their hands WHILE driving to get any great highway shots when the cars zoom by in another direction.

*McLaren*

This is stupid. I don't have the time the take a picture of everything I see. I'm more concerned on driving to my classes during the week. Besides, everyone hear would practically have to have a camera at all times in their hands WHILE driving to get any great highway shots when the cars zoom by in another direction.

Not to mention driving with a camera in your hands isnt safe, let alone taking pictures. Here in the UK if a cop caught you doing that im pretty sure it counts as 'driving without due care and attention' 👎
Im ashamed to say i have done it before, but since i have realised just how stupid and dnagerous it was.

Edit: oh and yesterday i saw a dark green bentley Turbo.

Latest Posts

Back