◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,699 comments
I still read it every time I see it. LOL

You said that those kind of posts are your favorite, so I thought you might like - only you know for sure. I do know that I had fun coming up with it. LOL

I do like it and they are my favorite. I enjoy a good post, especially one with a humorous anecdote.

"below 300 PP" ≠ "300 and below" therefore "300-350 PP" is also correct.

His numbers were right as he posted them, and as he posted them is how I'll read them.

Without putting words in Zer0's mouth, I think he meant there is no error.

Cars below 300 PP will use Comfort Medium, 300 to 350 will use comfort soft.

Car 1 PP 299 - Comfort Medium
Car 2 PP 300 - Comfort Soft

EDIT: Ninja'd by AP, cheeb shouts, hey that's my job!!!

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but each tire is suppose to have a total window of 50 PP. Comfort Soft has a margin of 51 PP
Comfort Mediums should be 300 or less - not 299 or less.

You are mistaken, 300 is where the tire climb starts, not 301. HE didnt make a mistake, you just think it should start at 301 when he made it start at 300. We will wait while that catchs up to you...

You are mistaken, 300 is where the tire climb starts, not 301. HE didnt make a mistake, you just think it should start at 301 when he made it start at 300. We will wait while that catchs up to you...

This…

ianjames25
Nobody should ever choose a car with 300pp anyway.. hahaha.

…and this, too.

below 300 PP -> Comfort Mediums
300-350 PP ---> Comfort Softs
351-400 PP ---> Sports Hards
401-450 PP ---> Sports Mediums
451-500 PP ---> Sports Softs
501-550 PP ---> Racing Hards
551-600 PP ---> Racing Mediums
601 PP & up --> Racing Softs[/B][/COLOR][/INDENT][/SIZE]As always, the

I'm with Devious. Every range starts at mark that ends in 1, except Comfort Soft. It just makes sense that Comfort Soft would be 301 to 350. Again, it just makes it consistent.

Just messing with my '95 McLain f1. I gave it some new paint and thought it would be nice to see some new trainers as well. Man I swear, I think this is the first car where I have looked and loved every possible combo. Just thought I'd share....

See ya in a few.

Rally and Garris, thank you so much for offering to help. I may take you up on it! We'll just have to see how the next couple of days go. With the new cars/tracks and tire changes I have a ton of work ahead of me to make sure I am as close to being ready for Sunday as I can. Working on Madrid tonight and from what it looks like, these cars should be broken DOWN before I figure out all my breaking and turn in points. I wish I could tell you I am only "kissing" the rails on most turns.... I wish I could tell you that, but in reality it is more like a payday Friday at the Bunny Ranch!! I am just hoping some of you are developing bald spots on the side of your head trying to turn some respectable lap times! As far as break in goes, what is a reasonable amount of miles? I have been noticing the biggest gains in the 100 to 120 mile range. I have looked for info but get wildly conflicting ranges... Thanks in advance and am SOOO looking forward to Sunday nights festivities! (Once I get a mic and some time I think I will be more into participation in mid week events!)

Cheers!!
Exo........................:crazy:

Thanks everyone that came out for practice tonight, had a lot of fun!

If you haven't got any seat time in the 8C, best do it. Lot's of fun to drive, but pay attention ;)

Rally and Garris, thank you so much for offering to help. I may take you up on it! We'll just have to see how the next couple of days go. With the new cars/tracks and tire changes I have a ton of work ahead of me to make sure I am as close to being ready for Sunday as I can. Working on Madrid tonight and from what it looks like, these cars should be broken DOWN before I figure out all my breaking and turn in points. I wish I could tell you I am only "kissing" the rails on most turns.... I wish I could tell you that, but in reality it is more like a payday Friday at the Bunny Ranch!! I am just hoping some of you are developing bald spots on the side of your head trying to turn some respectable lap times! As far as break in goes, what is a reasonable amount of miles? I have been noticing the biggest gains in the 100 to 120 mile range. I have looked for info but get wildly conflicting ranges... Thanks in advance and am SOOO looking forward to Sunday nights festivities! (Once I get a mic and some time I think I will be more into participation in mid week events!)

Cheers!!
Exo........................:crazy:

For break in, I run the 200 mile Laguna Seca B-Spec Endurance race. Most cars should be broken in by then!

Remember, though. Don't just break them in. Break them in and rebuild the engine. (Chassis too, if you so please.)

So we're going to take a race modified car and run it on sports tires?????

I have to agree, its a "Race" modified car, give it the race tires imo.
The other cars non-race are fine with me.

You guys are focusing way too much on the "Comfort/Sports/Racing" labels that PD uses. Those are nothing more than convenient ways for PD to identify the nine different tire grades available in the game. The key word there is "game". We can never forget that we are playing a video game and that the amount of grip and the rate of wear we experience for each tire grade is merely a result of calculations made by the GT5 physics engine. As players change the tire grades used, the variables in the calculation made by the physics engine also change. Here's a simplified example of how the variables for grip and tire life might correlate in the game:

• Tire Grade A - Grip=9 / Life=1
  • Tire Grade B - Grip=8 / Life=2
  • Tire Grade C - Grip=7 / Life=3
  • Tire Grade D - Grip=6 / Life=4
  • Tire Grade E - Grip=5 / Life=5
  • Tire Grade F - Grip=4 / Life=6
  • Tire Grade G - Grip=3 / Life=7
  • Tire Grade H - Grip=2 / Life=8
  • Tire Grade I. - Grip=1 / Life=9
Obviously, PD can't refer to these correlations as "Tire Grade A", 'Tire Grade B", and "Tire Grade C", so they refer to them in terms that we're more familiar with like "Racing Soft", "Racing Medium" and "Racing Hard" (and so on down the line).

I'm not saying the RM cars wouldn't be ok on the sports tires. If we're going after realism, who in their right mind would spend the money to upgrade a car to a race car and then slap some street tires on it to go to the track?

I never said we were going after realism, I said we were going after "more realistic grip levels". The big difference between you and I is that you put a lot of stock in the accuracy of the labels that PD puts on the tire grades, while I share the opinion of the guys (Vol, for example) who think that tires grades simply represent grip multipliers that are applied in a physics engine.

I will run whatever tires we are given as everybody has to run the same. I will say that the further it gets from realistic, the less interested I will be.

Okay, fair enough. If you have some time, would you mind running some laps in this week's Nissan Silvia SPEC-R Aero RM with both tire grades? First run them on Racing Hards, then run them on Sports Softs. Then try to forget about the labels of "Racing" and "Sports" that PD assigned to the tire grades, and ask yourself which tire grade felt more realistic to you.

To be clear, I'm not asking you to do this while claiming to know the answer myself. I don't have any real life racing experience while you do. I'm asking you to do this purely from the stand point of wanting to know what your opinion is. But again, the key part of my request is that you forget about the "Racing" and "Sports" labels and just keep an open mind about that.

Remember, though. Don't just break them in. Break them in and rebuild the engine. (Chassis too, if you so please.)
Why rebuild? An oil change is far cheaper and nets the same HP gain. and lasts as many miles as an oil change before you need another oil change. BTW, I concur. I do the 200mile LS enduro as well

Well, I'll say that we should run nothing but race soft with tire wear off on everything! Bahaha, BTW, whats the difference between going after realism and going after realistic? Just sounds like a play on words to sound different but really mean the same thing.

New online dealership:

Jaguar E-Type Coupe '61. Cr.50,930
Jaguar S-Type R '02. Cr.92,130
Jaguar XKR R Performance '02. Cr.118,450
Jaguar XFR '10 Cr.120,000
Jaguar XKR Coupe '99. Cr.128,000
Jaguar XJ220 '92. Cr.749,140
Jaguar XJ220 LM Race Car Cr.2,000,000
Pontiac Vibe GT '03. Cr.21,120
Pontiac GTO 5.7 Coupe '04. Cr.34,490
Pontiac Sunfire GXP Concept '02. Cr.35,000
Pontiac Solstice Coupe Concept '02. Cr.35,000
Pontiac Templest Le Mans GTO '64. Cr.52,600

That's right, the E-Type and the XFR!!!

Mind you, the XKRs might be more fun to race. The GTO/Monaro might be fun, too.

New online dealership:

Jaguar E-Type Coupe '61. Cr.50,930
Jaguar S-Type R '02. Cr.92,130
Jaguar XKR R Performance '02. Cr.118,450
Jaguar XFR '10 Cr.120,000
Jaguar XKR Coupe '99. Cr.128,000
Jaguar XJ220 '92. Cr.749,140
Jaguar XJ220 LM Race Car Cr.2,000,000
Pontiac Vibe GT '03. Cr.21,120
Pontiac GTO 5.7 Coupe '04. Cr.34,490
Pontiac Sunfire GXP Concept '02. Cr.35,000
Pontiac Solstice Coupe Concept '02. Cr.35,000
Pontiac Templest Le Mans GTO '64. Cr.52,600

That's right, the E-Type and the XFR!!!

Mind you, the XKRs might be more fun to race. The GTO/Monaro might be fun, too.

By omission are you saying the Vibe GT would not be fun ;)

Well, I'll say that we should run nothing but race soft with tire wear off on everything! Bahaha, BTW, whats the difference between going after realism and going after realistic? Just sounds like a play on words to sound different but really mean the same thing.

The difference is that Bowler was arguing that going after "realism" would mean that Race Modified cars should be on racing tires because that's realistic. The point I was trying to make was that I didn't care about "realism" in general, I was only focused on the grip levels.

In other words, I'm not concerned with how odd it would seem for someone in real life to spend all that money to race-modify a car, only to choose not to upgrade his tires to "race" tires. I am only concerned with how realistic grip levels are while we play this video game.

Speaking of which, I just noticed a question that I haven't replied to..

On a seperate but related issue. Why are the tires assigned based on the PP in the dealership and not based on the actual PP we run the cars at?

Because it's a whole lot simpler that way. The PP listed in the Dealership is easily seen by all, regardless of whether the car is owned or not. Our format requires that our Prize A and Prize B winners not take too long to make their car and track selections, and a major factor in those decisions is what tires will be paired up with the car. If the prize winner doesn't own the car they are considering, they'd have to break it in just to know what the final PP is.

Subject: Tire Grades

It's 1's and 0's guys. When you are driving that is real. Because it is a true interaction between something you are physically doing and the GT5 physics engine.

When you aren't driving it is back to the virtual world of 1's and 0's. In other words, the oil isn't really dirty because there is no oil. The tires aren't really worn because there are no tires.

My gut says an RM car should have Racing Tires because "after all" it is a racing car now. But, I will have to get over that for the sake of a more realistic grip level from the tires and to adhere to an effective and necessary pre-determined League tire restriction policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone that came out for practice tonight, had a lot of fun!

If you haven't got any seat time in the 8C, best do it. Lot's of fun to drive, but pay attention ;)

the 8c will definitely bite you if you dont pay attention. This along with the new tire format should make for some fun racing Sunday night.

By omission are you saying the Vibe GT would not be fun ;)

I can find plenty of front-wheel drive hatchbacks that are more fun. No offense to Toyota.

The Sunfire might be fun, but again... in that market... Diamond Star's Eclipse? The FTO? There are others.

The Solstice I'm sure if a blast. But why not run the actual road going versions which are in the game and not the Pontiac concept?

My gut says an RM car should have Racing Tires because "after all" it is a racing car now. But, I will have to get over that for the sake of a more realistic grip level from the tires and to adhere to an effective and necessary pre-determined League tire restriction policy.

I hear what you and others are saying with respect to Race Cars and Race Tires. It doesn't sound right.

Last night I was a little anxious about running the Sylvia on Sport Softs at Nurburgring GP/F. As it turns out, it was a blast and felt good from a driving the car perspective, rather than feeling more like it was on rails.

Bottom line is we're tweaking the tire/pp combinations to try and make the cars require a little more driving. If it turns out it's not working, we'll tweak it again. That will be based on what we experience and the feedback we get from club members 👍

Last edited:
I hear what you and others are saying with respect to Race Cars and Race Tires. It doesn't sound right.

Last night I was a little anxious about running the Sylvia on Sport Softs at Nurburgring GP/F. As it turns out, it was a blast and felt good from a driving the car perspective, rather than feeling more like it was on rails.

Bottom line is we're tweaking the tire/pp combinations to try and make the cars require a little more driving. If it turns out it's not working, we'll tweak it again. That will be based on what we experience and the feedback we get from club members.

👍

I can find plenty of front-wheel drive hatchbacks that are more fun. No offense to Toyota.

The Sunfire might be fun, but again... in that market... Diamond Star's Eclipse? The FTO? There are others.

The Solstice I'm sure if a blast. But why not run the actual road going versions which are in the game and not the Pontiac concept?

Hey garris, I was trying to be funny, sometimes it get's lost on it's way to the keyboard :lol:

Driving low power cars is a lot of fun, all about momentum and being smooth 👍

Hey garris, I was trying to be funny, sometimes it get's lost on it's way to the keyboard :lol:

Driving low power cars is a lot of fun, all about momentum and being smooth 👍

I did mention the E-Type. :) Low on power, primitive suspension, looks fantastic.

Back