◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,418 comments
Who is remembered as a 'winner' if two guys are tied, the guy who always came in fifth place consistently that year or the guy who won two Gran Prix events and didn't do as well in some others?

This is true. Especially in real world racing where wins are everything. I see where Fox is coming from though, especially since we put such an emphasis here on clean racing over winning at all cost. Perhaps average finish should be the first tie breaker, then wins?

Alright guys...I'm back...and I swear I'm going to join in the fun this time. I installed GT6 last week and I've got a few hours under my belt. So far I'm really enjoying it. I battered my way through the National B license in a '78 Firebird and now I can get online. I saw your lobby last night but remembered I hadn't done time trial yet. I'll do that tonight.

I already feel like I'm racing you guys after chasing some of your times on the license tests. Nic was always a few 10ths faster than me but I took the top spot among friends on a few tests.

If you're anywhere near as fast as Nic you should have plenty of speed!

Greatone1992
hey my PSN is greatone1992 and my friend Dtlohse told me about you guys and i would really like to join

@Skills will send you the information about how to join the league :cheers:

I just looke to the info and I've noticed you've made a change...

Is it wrong if I do the survey right now?

@greatone1992,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information.

3. @kcheeb PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. kcheeb will add you to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6' based off your placement from kcheeb. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

This is true. Especially in real world racing where wins are everything. I see where Fox is coming from though, especially since we put such an emphasis here on clean racing over winning at all cost. Perhaps average finish should be the first tie breaker, then wins?

Think about the average finish tie breaker and our points system. If two drivers score the same number of points, they will have the same average finish for the night as long as one didn't have more pole position bonus points. If they did and you used average finish position, you would be penalizing someone for winning a pole. That's not good in my opinion.

I agree with fastfox on this one. The driver with the overall better performance should always win.

Better or more consistent? Finishing 3rd six times is not better than winning three races and finishing 5th three times, it's just more consistent. They would score the exact same number of points (excluding pole bonus) and have the exact same average finish. Three wins is better than no wins.

Who is remembered as a 'winner' if two guys are tied, the guy who always came in fifth place consistently that year or the guy who won two Gran Prix events and didn't do as well in some others?
Yeah but we dont do 1 individual race. We do something similar to a rally race. With multiple stages, they dont remember the guy who won 1 stage but the guy in the end who had the best overall finish is the declared victor at the end.

Think about the average finish tie breaker and our points system. If two drivers score the same number of points, they will have the same average finish for the night as long as one didn't have more pole position bonus points. If they did and you used average finish position, you would be penalizing someone for winning a pole. That's not good in my opinion.

Better or more consistent? Finishing 3rd six times is not better than winning three races and finishing 5th three times, it's just more consistent. They would score the exact same number of points (excluding pole bonus) and have the exact same average finish. Three wins is better than no wins.

But even with Joe's 2 pole his average finish is not higher. It should be based off average finishing position in my honest opinion.

Yeah but we dont do 1 individual race. We do something similar to a rally race. With multiple stages, they dont remember the guy who won 1 stage but the guy in the end who had the best overall finish is the declared victor at the end.

We do nothing like a rally race. We run six individual races where points are awarded for each one. Time is not carried over like it is in rally. Each race is a fresh start and points are paid evenly for each race according to finish results of that race.

It's a six race season jammed into one night.

Edit: A flush beats a straight but a straight flush beats everything else.

Nic and I have had many a close battle. Here's one in stock Caterhams at Deep Forest, it was a white knuckle experience for me since I'd never driven it before and in stock trim it was extremely tail happy. He's a lot faster than me on the 'ring though. I could never keep up on that track.

To further use your analogy, I think you mean both guys end up with the same time overall. And one guy actually won several of the stages and the other guy did not.

Why would the guy who won zero stages beat the guy who did win some rally stages when they had the same final score?

Good point, it wouldn't really work with our points system. I don't really have any problem with the current system, just a thought.

You can have the win :cool: :cheers:.

Can I go back and pick out all the times I've lost a tiebreaker because I didn't win as many races but supposedly had a better overall night?

If you tie in points, with someone, you had a nearly identical overall night of racing. If you try to use average finish you will only have a difference if one driver won more poles than the other.

But even with Joe's 2 pole his average finish is not higher. It should be based off average finishing position in my honest opinion.

And that's exactly why we don't use average finish as the tie-breaker. You would end up losing the tie-breaker for performing well (winning poles). Why would we want to punish someone for winning something?

Throwing out the two pole positions we are looking at a 2 point difference over the course of the six races. That is a whopping .33 positions per race. If you got the other pole then it's a 1 pt. difference over six races and that figures out to .16 positions per race. That is a nearly identical night and the points reflect it. This is why we use race wins as the tiebreaker (much like most every real racing series on the planet). If drivers have the same number of wins, it goes to 2nd place, and 3rd place and so on. I have seen ties broken by the driver with the most 6th place finishes for the night.

And that's exactly why we don't use average finish as the tie-breaker. You would end up losing the tie-breaker for performing well (winning poles). Why would we want to punish someone for winning something?

Throwing out the two pole positions we are looking at a 2 point difference over the course of the six races. That is a whopping .33 positions per race. If you got the other pole then it's a 1 pt. difference over six races and that figures out to .16 positions per race. That is a nearly identical night and the points reflect it. This is why we use race wins as the tiebreaker (much like most every real racing series on the planet). If drivers have the same number of wins, it goes to 2nd place, and 3rd place and so on. I have seen ties broken by the driver with the most 6th place finishes for the night.

I sure hope my ignorance hasn't unleashed a can of worms here haha.

Anyone have interest in Sunday late afternoon practice sessions?

I used to hold a session where we ran the current combos. However we didn't do two races. We combined the races into a longer one. So format would be:

First Combo -
8 Minute Qualify and run 20 minute race

Second Combo -
8 minute Qualify and run 20 minute race

Third Combo -

This a total track time of 84 minutes. Between track swaps we should be able to squeeze it all in a 1.5 hr block.

The longer races will allow more time to practice and learn in a race setting.

These sessions really prepped me for Sunday nights event.

Who would be interested in this starting at 4:30 - 6:00 PM EST?

No can of worms. The tiebreaker has been what it is for as long as we have had a points system. Drivers have benefitted and lost due to it.

If the true argument is about who had the "better" night. Oshawa-Joe finished ahead of FastFox four out of the six races. It would seem to me the Oshawa had the better night. He beat Fox four times out of six, he won more races, he had more poles. Do I need to keep going? Instead of going through the trouble of looking up all of this information, we use best race finish from the top down to break ties. It's simple and can be done by the director in the room as he is announcing the standings for the night.

Edited because I got a little carried away working on the squeaky wheel.

Last edited:
Anyone have interest in Sunday late afternoon practice sessions?

I used to hold a session where we ran the current combos. However we didn't do two races. We combined the races into a longer one. So format would be:

First Combo -
8 Minute Qualify and run 20 minute race

Second Combo -

Third Combo -

This a total track time of 84 minutes. Between track swaps we should be able to squeeze it all in a 1.5 hr block.

The longer races will allow more time to practice and learn in a race setting.

These sessions really prepped me for Sunday nights event.

Who would be interested in this starting at 4:30 - 6:00 PM EST?
That sounds good. Have you considered doing a "yellow flag" at the 10 min mark or something? That way slower drivers can catch up and hopefully observe the faster drivers for at least a little bit longer.

I would like a request to join please?
@DesertPenguin09,
Thanks for your interest!
We would love to have you in the league. Here's what you need to know and do in order to join:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the S.N.A.I.L. OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You take the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and Racecraft Test

2. You run the Time Trial and submit your information.

3. @kcheeb PM's you with your assigned Division that we feel will give you the closest competition. kcheeb will add you to the drivers list.

4. The Race Director or Primary Host from the corresponding SNAIL Division will send you a PSN friend request. Sunday night you will need to sort the online lobbies by friends and join the lobby named 'snailracing.org Division_1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6' based off your placement from kcheeb. That lobby will be where you race Sunday.

5. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

The original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, please follow the instruction contained here.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.

Welcome to S.N.A.I.L. :cheers:

Well I have an interest in the warm-up time I can't commit to regularly being able to do it... When my wife is not there or the kids aren't pulling me in different directions I will try to be there!

Appreciate it. In a way it like penalizing the person who had a better overall performance.

Oh my goodness. When has the guy who finished consistently mediocre ever won a tie breaker over a guy who finished brilliantly a couple of times and had a couple of bad finishes. The world always awards flashes of brilliance over consistent mediocrity.

Unless you want an award for being mediocre?

Take me for example...consistently mediocre...no awards on my shelf ;)

Some nights go your way and some nights don't. Give the guy a hand who had some good finishes.

The final tie breaker after it's all said and done is the penalty system. If you drove cleanly and mediocre all night, you would be awarded the position over the guy who won some races and ran people off the road getting there. The penalty system will punish the crazy fast guy...erm...fast crazy guy?

Last edited:
When you have time, run the new time trial so you know where to go when you can race. I don't think that anyone was neglecting anyone, but you did post 5 minutes before we start.

I actually posted this at 9:11pm...figured it would be plenty of time for someone to say "hop in X room"....
So if I can race tonight by some miracle...what division am I in?
Well I could have just jumped into D1 as that was where I left off, but I have never really won any races there...just not enough practice time. I assume everyone in the league has not re-done their time trial. So I figured I'd hop into D2, as that is probably where I would have had more fun, but apparently they didn't want me in there.

No worries...it was a one-off miracle night. Had some fun in the misfit room and then the West Coast Avengers rooms ;)

I actually posted this at 9:11pm...figured it would be plenty of time for someone to say "hop in X room"....

Well I could have just jumped into D1 as that was where I left off, but I have never really won any races there...just not enough practice time. I assume everyone in the league has not re-done their time trial. So I figured I'd hop into D2, as that is probably where I would have had more fun, but apparently they didn't want me in there.

No worries...it was a one-off miracle night. Had some fun in the misfit room and then the West Coast Avengers rooms ;)

Sorry, I saw the one at 9:25. You know how this thread rolls. We were talking about having a time cut off so we don't have to scramble right before racing starts.

D1 is a very different place these days. I really have no business there, but someone has to keep score and upload the replays. Someone else want to step up so I can stop getting embarrassed?

Back