2009 Turkey Run. Daytona Beach, Florida [56k Warning!]

• Thread starter LSX
  • 14 comments

LSX

GTP_LSX
Claimed to be the largest car show and swap meet in the South-east United States, the Turkey Run is put on the week of Thanksgiving every November in Daytona Beach Florida. This year it has ran from Thursday the 26th, to tomorrow, Sunday the 28th.

The scale of the event is, well extremely large. It spills out of Daytona International Speedway, where the event is actually held, to the beach side highway A1A. I'm pretty sure it started out as a Muscle and Classic car event, but it's turned in to much more than that. Fords and Ferraris, Vipers and Volkswagens you name it, it's probably parked somewhere, waiting to be admired. The bread and butter of the show is still American cars, but there is something for just about ever kind of automotive enthusiast at this event. Forgive me, I know I've posted a few pictures in the "Did you see anything cool thread", but I thought perhaps if I posted them in one thread, it would be better organized, and I could answer any questions better. So, on with the show!

Friday.

Welcome to Daytona Beach, Florida.
turkley1.jpg

This is one of the two tunnel entrance/exits into Daytona International Speedway. This happens to be turn 4, the other being in turn 1.
Turkley2.jpg

So, it was my fault, I arrived after the infield closed, so I was only able to get shots of the cars coming out of the speedway, still though, there were plenty of neat cars to be seen.

Starting with a few possibly home build creations, if these aren't your thing, bear with me, there are many different kinds of cars I shot. Also, forgive my point and shoot camera and myself for some of the poorer photos, I tried, I really want to show just how cool this event is to people who aren't able to make it here. This is the best I could manage.

I have no idea what kind of car this is, however I do think it's cool.
trun005.jpg

Bubble gum and chicken wire.
trun007.jpg

trun030.jpg

trun028.jpg

On to some Muscle, Pony and classic cars.

Camaro
trun029.jpg

Olds 442
trun031.jpg

Not sure what it is, but very cool.
trun016.jpg

Buch of little old ladies driving this Mustang. :lol:
trun026.jpg

Custom pickup truck, very nice color.
trun015.jpg

Camaro Indianapolis Pace-car.
trun012.jpg

'Cuda
trun010.jpg

MG? Triumph?
trun011.jpg

Some nice cars I had seen on the way out / New cars.

Gumball Rally GT-R.
trun018.jpg

2010 SS Camaro.
trun014.jpg

GT-500 Mustang.
trun019.jpg

Supra Turbo
trun034.jpg

Chevelle with a blower, sounded like thunder.
trun035.jpg

Nomad?
trun037.jpg

Porsche 914, that had Carrera down the side??? Might belong in the questionable mod thread...
trun038.jpg

Due to traffic, we could not get beachside, so that was the end of day one, somewhat disappointing, but I promise day 2 is much better :D!

Saturday​

Got to the track ON TIME today. Much better than yesterday, we went into the infield, where all the good stuff is. Even walked through the paddock to see all the new renovations that have taken place in the past few years. This surely makes up for yesterdays lacking selection. :D! I honestly only made it through MAYBE half of the infield, I never even stepped foot into the West side of the track.

This is walking in through the tunnel, FINALLY!
trun2006.jpg

Next few shots just to TRY and show how big everything is.
trun2007.jpg

trun2008.jpg

trun2012.jpg

trun2038.jpg

So, on with it then...

Great looking 455-H.O. Trans-Am
trun2022.jpg

Thunderbird.
trun2019.jpg

trun2020.jpg

Custom Truck.
trun2014.jpg

Ford Maverick.
trun2032.jpg

trun2031.jpg

AMC Machine.
trun2017.jpg

trun2018.jpg

1997 30th Anniversary Camaro SS
trun2026.jpg

trun2025.jpg

Some kind of Volvo.
trun2028.jpg

Parnelli Jones Saleen Mustang.
trun2034.jpg

Cobra-R Mustang.
trun2040.jpg

trun2041.jpg

This custom was at the Ford Racing booth. Whipple!
trun2044.jpg

trun2045.jpg

Race truck from a Florida Regional series. Also at the Ford Racing booth.
trun2050.jpg

trun2049.jpg

Some oranges :lol:
trun2035.jpg

trun2030.jpg

Folding hardtop Camaro.
trun2051.jpg

trun2052.jpg

Yenko ZL-1 Camaro.
trun2053.jpg

That purple stuff.
trun2054.jpg

Cobra hardtop kit-race car.
trun2055.jpg

GT40 Kit car.
trun2056.jpg

trun2057.jpg

Over in the garage area, there were some really cool race cars.

Donnie Allison Chevelle Nascar.
trun2070.jpg

Can-Am race car.
trun2073.jpg

Some odd Saab race car.
trun2077.jpg

trun2076.jpg

Fonty Flock tribute Nascar,
trun2078.jpg

Old Funny car.
trun2079.jpg

Jimmie Johnsons Cup car.
trun2081.jpg

And so with a girlfriend tired of walking around looking at cars for 4 hours, it was time to head out of the track and back to the car, not without seeing just a few more cool cars first. :D

trun2085.jpg

trun2090.jpg

And the parting shot for the 2009 Turkey Run, as far as I'm concerned is this woody! Just add surfboard. :lol:

trun2092.jpg

I hope you guys enjoyed these pictures, sorry to have so many going on in just one page. As I said, I tried to take the best pictures I could, hope that it was up to snuff!

Next stop... The Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona! I'll be there, hopefully with better pictures to share with you all!

Seriously good thread developing here, I'm going to keep an eye on it. ;)👍

Answering your questions:
1st Black Hot Rod = Looks like a '40 Ford Business Coupe
Red/Chrome Coupe = Guessing Studebaker Hawk
Custom Orange Truck = Ford F series, looks like a '54 or '55.
Nomad? = Yeah, a '55 Nomad.

Loving the Supra Turbo, very clean without the baskethandle on the boot! The Saab race car was a treat also. There are some excellent pieces in here. :D

Cheers,
Jetboy

Seriously good thread developing here, I'm going to keep an eye on it. ;)👍

Answering your questions:
1st Black Hot Rod = Looks like a '40 Ford Business Coupe
Red/Chrome Coupe = Guessing Studebaker Hawk
Custom Orange Truck = Ford F series, looks like a '54 or '55.
Nomad? = Yeah, a '55 Nomad.

Loving the Supra Turbo, very clean without the baskethandle on the boot!

Cheers,
Jetboy

Ah thanks! Glad you like it.

Thanks for figuring those out! Yeah, some of the cars I either could not tell, or forgot what they were after seeing so many. :lol:

Yeah, that Supra minus the wing is what drew me in on it, it looks much better without it.

Man I gotta get down there again some day. I still haven't developed the pictures that I took two years ago when I first saw my Barracuda and wrote down the guys number.

I'd definitely agree that it has to be one of the biggest shows out there. When I went we were there for at least 4 hours (I can't quite remember exactly) and we barely put a dent in seeing all the cars. I was kind of disappointed though, out of all the cars we saw there I only saw two early Barracudas, one of which is now mine.

That reminds me, I still haven't uploaded the pictures I took from the Don Garlits Mopar show a few weeks back, will have to work on that now.

Yeah man, come down sometime and see it again, there is another show at the speedway March 26th, 27th and 28th.

I wish I could have covered more of the show, I was sick though so I had to force myself out there to go see it. :lol: Can't squeeze in nearly enough with even a full days worth. Over at Bellair Plaza near the beach, it was packed with cars too. Never even made it that far. :lol:

I actually can't recall seeing any early Barracudas today or yesterday, could have been some there and I just don't remember, I can't recall. Come to think of it, I've only ever seen one, which was for sale, in Bunnell just north of Daytona.

Upload those pictures, love to see them. Thanks for checking out mine.

Thanks guys, glad you've enjoyed them.

@Encyclopedia - Thanks for identifying the Volvo and Saab. I've never seen either of those cars. :lol: Perhaps they did not sell well over here in the states, if at all.

@Roo - Yeah, I knew it had to be one of the two, but I didn't remember from seeing it. The front where the emblem is at is obscured by the sun so thanks for figuring that out!

Sorry, my mistake, thanks for the correction though.

I think I'll end this with some views from in and around the speedway, as well as a few cool things I found along the way.

Looking west over lake lloyd towards turns 1 and 2.
trun2039.jpg

The main tower on the front stretch at the start/finish line.
trun2060.jpg

Another shot of the tower from on top of the Sprint fanzone, which is located on the roof of the garages.
trun2061.jpg

The new garages built here reciently. This is looking down from the sprint fanzone. You can walk up to the glass and see the teams working on their cars, as well as the drivers. You can pass things back and forth to be autographed as well. Very cool, I want to use this to my advantage during the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona to get some cool shots.
trun2065.jpg

trun2066.jpg

And lastly, for anyone who is interested, the guts of the new Ford Eco-Boost Twin-Turbo V6.
trun2046.jpg

It has very small turbochargers, not that I have seen many to compare them with...
trun2047.jpg

In any case, I'm just glad Ford is building it, I'd love a new SHO Taurus.
trun2048.jpg

That's all folks! More to come in late January from the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona! Thanks for checking it all out!

LSX
Thanks guys, glad you've enjoyed them.

@Encyclopedia - Thanks for identifying the Volvo and Saab. I've never seen either of those cars. :lol: Perhaps they did not sell well over here in the states, if at all.

@Roo - Yeah, I knew it had to be one of the two, but I didn't remember from seeing it. The front where the emblem is at is obscured by the sun so thanks for figuring that out!

I think the P1800 sold in the US at least. The best looking Volvo in my opinion.

Thanks guys.

Encyclopedia, it is a good looking car, I was surprised when it turned out to be a Volvo, which is not to say most Volvos are ugly, this one just had a lot more curves than I'm used to.

Jim, it was not for lack of trying :lol: It was a real chore to get a picture of most any car. People would walk right in front of me whenever I had the camera up. >:/ The Donnie Allison Chevelle took about 5 minutes to get a photo of. The Yenko Camaro even longer, the red Ford GT replicar had me seeing red, because 5 people came and walked right in front of me, when they could have waited 5 seconds, like I would have done for anyone else trying to take a photo. I'll see if I have any other angles where you can get a better view of it.

Back