2012 Australian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 1,442 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
For 9 seasons now, Renault have placed no lower than 5th in Melbourne. So you can expect Kimi to have a good race.....or Romain. But who knows, the first race is always an exciting one.

And i'm always excited for the Melbourne race, because as an Australian and Free-Tv owner, i have a whole weekend of everything motorsport, and it's the only one in the year.

Last edited:
For 9 seasons now, Renault have placed no lower than 5th in Melbourne. So you can expect Kimi to have a good race
Why? "It happened this way before, so therefore it will always happen that way" is a logical fallacy.

I don't think he's saying it's a certainty, something more like "this is very likely to happen again".

Anyway, looking forward to the start of the season, I'll be on break during the first session of practice so hopefully I'll find a McDonald's around somewhere and ask them to change the channel :lol:

Why? Because he did 2 NASCAR races?

No, rally drivers have an uncanny affinity for left hand corners. Although in the Northern Hemisphere it's right hand corners because of the reversed rotation of the earth.

The new season is finally upon us! Thankfully the off-season seemed to go by rather quickly. I hope to see good things from Mercedes and Lotus. It would be great to have 4 or 5 teams battling for podium finishes. I'd like to see Rosberg get his first win and Kimi running near the front would be a plus. I have no idea what to expect this weekend. Maybe we'll get a few surprises.

No, rally drivers have an uncanny affinity for left hand corners. Although in the Northern Hemisphere it's right hand corners because of the reversed rotation of the earth.
Going by his form for the last 2 years and even though the track is completely surrounded by barriers, Kimi will probably still manage to find a tree to hit.

Going by his form for the last 2 years and even though the track is completely surrounded by barriers, Kimi will probably still manage to find a tree to hit.

And then he'll get out and go home...

Time to bust out the Paul Di Resta avatar again. 👍

Time to bust out the Paul Di Resta avatar again. 👍

Am I still the only person not head over heels for Paul di Resta? He had a good debut season, but all I can ever hear is "future champion", "di Resta to Mercedes", "di Resta to McLaren", and he really hasn't done enough in my book for anything like that. Sutil beat him, by a fair margin, but look who is driving for Force India now, and who isn't. Even if Sutil didn't glass Lux, things probably would have turned out the same.

Sutil played a big role in turning Force India from the backmarkers, to the Midfield Champions. Consistency is key, but Force India has a relatively new, and still unproven lineup, which could be their undoing.

I'm so excited that this weekend has finally come! Being able to watch the Friday coverage live for the first time in a couple of years is aiding to that excitement too! It's hard enough to pick the pecking order for the Australian Grand Prix when it's not the first round of the season due to the typical nature of a street circuit, when it is I just don't even bother but we can assume both Red Bull and McLaren will be the teams to beat. It looks like the weather may play havoc on Friday whilst each team tries to set their cars up for the rest of the weekend, the rest of the weekend is looking pretty nice.

Does anyone know what time the BBC highlights will air?

Ahh the good old days of a BBC full race replay at 1:00 on a Sunday afternoon :(

Am I still the only person not head over heels for Paul di Resta? He had a good debut season, but all I can ever hear is "future champion", "di Resta to Mercedes", "di Resta to McLaren", and he really hasn't done enough in my book for anything like that. Sutil beat him, by a fair margin, but look who is driving for Force India now, and who isn't. Even if Sutil didn't glass Lux, things probably would have turned out the same.

Sutil played a big role in turning Force India from the backmarkers, to the Midfield Champions. Consistency is key, but Force India has a relatively new, and still unproven lineup, which could be their undoing.

Your anti Di Resta posts are as consistent as your pro Senna posts.

What exactly has di Resta done to you other than have a really good first season?

What exactly has di Resta done to you other than have a really good first season?

I agree with him to be fair.

Yeah he had a great 1st season but he hasn't showed he is as good as everyone says he is.

Who knows, he could be...

Anyway, back on topic... Hoping Hamilton wins. Most of the time in recent years, the winner at Melbourne wins the championship. (2006-Alonso, 2007-Raikonnen, 2008-Hamilton, 2009-Button, 2011-Vettel just off the top of my head...)

I like his attitude first and foremost, and i am happy he got the seat over Sutil, but tbh i havent really noticed his driving, not his fault though, he's in a mid pack car.

Problem with that is if seb gets pole in the dry quali no matter the weather it's Vettelball all race long.

You mean like in Canada last year ? Come on nothing is written if it's raining during the race. I know it's a pretty extreme example but still. Rain is usually bringing surprise.

Fernando Alonso from Oviedo will push all of the car in Quali and race, can't wait to see him driving with the red colors again <3

It's still a logical fallacy.

Possibly an inversion of the gambler's fallacy, off the top of my head.

Considering the bulletproof reliability we're accustomed to these days, it's quite likely that the first five places will be both Red Bulls, both McLarens and a Ferrari. Although I do hope it's more exciting than that.

formula1.com
Melbourne&rsquo;s 5.303 kilometre (3.295 mile) circuit has had some minor safety changes since 2011 and also gets an extra DRS zone. The zone on the start-finish straight remains, joined by a second on the subsequent straight between Turns 2 and 3. Both share a single detection point, just prior to Turn 14.

Conformation on the location of the second DRS zone. (I don't think anyone posted it yet, if they have then sorry).

So I'm not allowed to have an opinion about him that's not positive, simply because his debut season was a good one?

I never called him an untalented or unimpressive driver in my post. All I said was that he is overhyped. Halfway through 2011, he was already being regarded by many to be a future champion, and I couldn't see why. He had a good 2011 season, but he hasn't proven to me as yet, that he can win a championship, or even be up to a McLaren or Mercedes drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back