2016 Verizon IndyCar SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 8,011 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that Franchitti had pedals made for him so he could still right-foot brake, while the rest of the field is left-footing it.

With all that wrangling over the future of the circuit and doubt about whether planned events can actually go ahead, it wouldn't surprise me if the organisers contacted Indycar - despite knowing that they could never host the series - in order to get some positive publicity going.

Come on ludes don't tell me that doesn't sound like a weak explanation - I think its pretty clear there is nothing stopping COTA holding both F1 and Indycar races just as there is/was nothing stopping Monteal either (Champcar ran there before in the same year as F1).

I think its pretty clear there is nothing stopping COTA holding both F1 and Indycar races
Then why doesn't Indycar visit more Formula 1 circuits? The series is expanding to China this year, so why don't they race in Shanghai? And when they went to Brazil, why didn't they hold the race at Interlagos?

Money? There could be many reasons - but just because it could be, doesn't mean it is. I don't think we can really say with any certainty that Indycar cannot race at the same track as it seems there is evidence to suggest it could.

Maybe there are sponsors who would like to see it happen, maybe COTA themselves are waiving some of the costs or maybe its simply cheaper in terms of logistics seeing as there are 2 other races in Texas.

Only if Indycar pays the circuit to visit it. Which isn't usually the way it works - circuits pay series to race there.

The current Indycar schedule is for 16 races. Going by the article supplied, Randy Bernard wants that to increase to 19 or 20. Assuming that all 16 of the current races stay on the calendar, then there will only be two or three available spots (as Houston would take that number up to 17). The article lists eight circuits - Austin, Fort Lauderdale, Phoenix, Palm Springs, Pocono, Elkhart Lake, Portland and Richmond - as potential additions to the calendar. So whoever gets onto the calendar is probably going to be the one who is willing to pay the most for Indycar.

Was this race shown on the Sky F1 channel? I didn't see it listed... I was just trying to get into it as well, but not if I can only see every other race.

Thanks for the previous explanations as well, will be good to see it gaining ground in the next few years. Look forward to the first aero kits being displayed for next year too.

Was this race shown on the Sky F1 channel? I didn't see it listed... I was just trying to get into it as well, but not if I can only see every other race.

Thanks for the previous explanations as well, will be good to see it gaining ground in the next few years. Look forward to the first aero kits being displayed for next year too.

No this week it was on Sky Sports 4, I missed the previous one because I never thought something that wasn't F1 would be one the F1 channel so never looked for it there.:ouch:

Just found the scheduling, wish I'd thought to check other channels as well... Only states the next 2 races as well but hoping that's just for April.

As in schedule doesn't state Indy 500 but I would like to watch it. So I'm hoping the schedule only includes April's races at the moment.

Didn't Dan Wheldon say the new car was a bit faster around Indy? There was mention of the car being faster during it's developmental testing.... unless I've mixed up things.

The new car is definitely slower at Indianapolis. They run less horsepower at the ovals, and they added some aerodynamic pieces to the rear of the car to reduce drag as the speeds were so low

575x459.jpg

That spolier is sooo low. Looks fast but a bit strange.

218.6 mph the fastest lap in testing

215 mph laps without the draft

Not bad I guess. The car still has alot of development possible

More importantly then speed will be how they race. Will the be challenging enough to drive without making it too difficult to pass? How will the behave in traffic?

Get rid of the air box and it would look great.

My thought as well

47 year old Formula 1 veteran Jean Alesi to race Indianapolis this year driving for Newman Haas racing

I'm happy to see this, but a bit worried about someone who has never been around ovals going to Indianapolis for his first oval race...especially someone who hasn't been racing anything as fast recently

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98606

Well, jumping from a Ferrari GT car (the last thing he regularly raced) is not exactly that far a step (as in, its not really dangerously different). But certainly I expect him to struggle way more than Barrichello has.

Then again, Jean Alesi has always been a natural talent so I equally wouldn't be surprised if he did turn up and put in some good times. I guess it really depends if the car suits him as frequently for most of his career he had cars that didn't really suit him like say the Tyrrells did or the odd Ferrari/Benetton.

Why is it a worry for him? There are many far more ill-prepared and qualified drivers that compete in Indycars even today. He's not exactly a Milka Duno...now thats dangerous.

Milka Duno just rides around at a pace safe for her. Alesi, being a fierce competitor, will be pushing hard. At Indianapolis there is very little room for error. If he looses it in a turn how will he try to save it? With no oval experience he wont know what to do when spinning at 210 mph. If he plays it safe and respects the track he'll be fine.

However, I do remember Alesi cutting off and colliding with a hard charging Peugeot 908 in 2010 at Le Mans. The incident was similiar to McNish's crash and at the same area on track. Alesi looked upset afterwards, but he did collide with Anthony Davidson, who wrecked the leading GT car late in the race.

Hes going to have to be sharper at Indianapolis

This is Jean Alesi were talking about, of course he is going to push it beyond the limit and crash! But I don't think he is going to be any more of a danger or a worry than some of the other crash-happy drivers out there.
I think you really don't give Alesi enough credit that you don't expect him to approach it sensibly.

But I will agree that he is rather rusty and this is almost (but not quite) like putting Luca Badoer in that Ferrari in 2009. We really can't expect him to do particularly well.

I can't agree that he will be any more of a danger or worry to anyone considering the kinds of drivers that regularly seem to grace Indycars though - though this year's field is better than previous.

I thought Newman-Haas withdrew?

They're entering Alesi just as a one off due to the fact they're affiliated with the Lotus powered 'Dragon' team. Being a Lotus ambassador Alesi has had to enter on behalf of a Lotus team in some form or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back