Honda S660- pics of production version undisguised.

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 195 comments

RocZX

Premium
United States
New York
Honda-Tokyo-Show-1%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Honda-Tokyo-Show-4%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Honda-Tokyo-Show-8%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Honda has released the first photos of its new S660 Concept, just ahead of its world premiere at this year's Tokyo Motor Show in late November. The S660 looks like an evolved concept of the 2011 EV-STER and is believed to preview the small roadster mentioned by Honda CEO Takanobu Ito last year. Ito had said at the time that a small open-top sports car would go on sale in Japan in 2014.

While very few details were released by the Japanese carmaker, the S660 looks like a spiritual successor to the Pininfarina-designed 1991-1996 Beat kei-class roadster.

The pint-sized roadster's name suggests that, unlike the electric-powered EV-STER, the S660 is fitted with a 0.66-liter turbocharged three-cylinder engine, possibly, but not certainly, positioned mid-ship, judging by the side and rear vents.

CarScoops

Love the interior!

Why can't more cars have interiors like that?
(Unless it is just a Concept interior..)

It is a concept interior, but knowing honda they'll make the production version the same shape but just much cheaper..

Great interior, decent exterior. Now give it a 6 speed manual you've got yourself a sports car. As it is, 60-some bhp with a CVT isn't going to be all that exciting.

21st Century Honda Beat is exactly what I was thinking when I first saw this car. And yes- that futuristic interior is awesome.

Make it the half price version of the Alfa 4C please. I'll bite.

The tachometer is disappointing, though. In a car like this, I feel like the RPMs should go to 15,000, not 9,000 :(

Modern day Beat. Love it. Probably won't be outright fast if they produce it, but then that rather misses the point of kei cars. Being so small (still has to be built to the same size rules, after all) it'll feel much faster than it actually is.

Incidentally, here's the EV-STER that inspired the styling:

Exterior styling is pretty similar. Interior has changed quite a bit and has obviously got closer to production-ready, even if it's not quite there yet.

The good news I guess is that even if it's Japan-only, people will start importing them into the UK if the exchange rate is healthy enough.

* Front end: big Yes!

* Rear end: limited No!

* Convertible (open top). Big No!

* Interior: big Yes!

*Like!*
Looks good, though I'm not too sure on the back end.
The lights remind me of the GT86 Concept, and they looked a bit out of place too.

A lot of my colleagues are going for it being a turbo. I'm not entirely sure why - it's not in the press release (in fact nothing about the engine is, but it's a good bet it's a 660cc 3cyl with 63hp, because "S660" hints at Kei regulations), the tach goes to over nine thousand and the car it's paying homage to, the Beat, was just about the only non-turbo Kei car...

Haven't been a fan of the design direction and cues Honda has taken and this concept isn't going to change that. The old Beat still looks great though.

-> Meh, it still follows Takanobu Ito's Jaw design philosophy. So much promise (MR & RWD) yet so much disappointment (CVT & will not see North America).

:indiff:

Back