PS3 Overheating Problem

• Thread starter mokocchi
  • 53 comments
Mexico
Mexico
mokocchi-
Hey guys I have an 80Gb PS3, the fatty ones that can read PS2 games, but I think it is overheating with GT6, I can play GT5 and some other games for more than an hour but with GT6 it shuts down itself in like 15 minutes, I am sure it's not Yellow Light of Dead or a Power Supply unit failure, since I can play other games.
How do I fix this? Anyone is going through the same problems?
I am thinking of buying a cooling station, any idea if it's going to work?
thanks

if its shooting down because of overheating then you might check if the vents are clean > airflow. it's best if you open it once a year and clean all the dust that may gather on ventilator and openings . You can find a lot of "instructions" videos on YT how to do it proper. Strange i got a felling last 2 days that GT6 is less taxing that GT5 > of course not , by my PS3 fells cooler when playing GT6 than GT5 > and no probs even after 12h of playing :D

PS: thats some achievement that fatty is still alive and kicking after all those years it's been out

yeah that fatty is going strong, I do clean it often so i don't think that is the issue
I read online about a guy who had the same problem but with Call of Duty, I hope the cooling station works
because I want to play gt6 so bad

I'm not so into PS3 but is your fan doing maximum before PS3 shuts down or is it running normal speed. If its going max as soon PS3 starts hardworking then it might be also CPU coming off the heatsink problem.

This probably won't solve anything (if problem is not dust ) but you can try "maintenance" trick for PS3 > unplug ps3 then hold eject button and plug ps3 back into powersocket . it will go into "ventilator maintenance" mode for 30 seconds - vent will go to maximum . After it ends unplug ps 3 from electricity and plug back to reset it from m.mode.

I have this problem with GT6 Demo,UC3 and TLOU ! Since then the problem spread to others game like GT5. I quite sure its your ps3 problem!

I have this problem with GT6 Demo,UC3 and TLOU ! Since then the problem spread to others game like GT5. I quite sure its your ps3 problem!
well I can still play GT5, Motorstorm and other ps2 games
can you play GT6?

I'm not so into PS3 but is your fan doing maximum before PS3 shuts down or is it running normal speed. If its going max as soon PS3 starts hardworking then it might be also CPU coming off the heatsink problem.

This probably won't solve anything (if problem is not dust ) but you can try "maintenance" trick for PS3 > unplug ps3 then hold eject button and plug ps3 back into powersocket . it will go into "ventilator maintenance" mode for 30 seconds - vent will go to maximum . After it ends unplug ps 3 from electricity and plug back to reset it from m.mode.
I will try this thing, hope it makes a difference
I also noticed the fan does max speed and stays like that for like 2-3 minutes
really hope it's not the CPU or the welding spots

well I can still play GT5, Motorstorm and other ps2 games
can you play GT6?

I will try this thing, hope it makes a difference
I also noticed the fan does max speed and stays like that for like 2-3 minutes
really hope it's not the CPU or the welding spots
My console died already!

i have a 60gb fatty and ive ran it for 12 hours yesterday and it runs quietly with no issues at all but i do clean all the vents every week. Like whats has been previously said it seems GT6 in my case at least is putting less strain on it compared to GT5.

My PS3 runs pretty loud but no damage is done.

I think it sometimes is determined by the disc and/or game. My brothers PS3 can run any game smoothly except Madden NFL 12 where it overheats.

I also think it can also determine on your PS3s location, my friends dads PS3 was in a cold glass case so it doesn't warm up well but when it does, it overheats everything around it, even the PS3 itself. Where is your PS3?

i have a 60gb fatty and ive ran it for 12 hours yesterday and it runs quietly with no issues at all but i do clean all the vents every week. Like whats has been previously said it seems GT6 in my case at least is putting less strain on it compared to GT5.
nice, internet says the 60GB are the most vulnerable ones, nice to hear yours is running strong

I think it sometimes is determined by the disc and/or game.

I also think it can also determine on your PS3s location, my friends dads PS3 was in a cold glass case so it doesn't warm up well but when it does, it overheats everything around it, even the PS3 itself. Where is your PS3?

at this point i am starting to think it's indeed the disc

my ps3 is in a table next to my tv, its not uner the sunlight or something

I ran a 60 gb untill recently when it went pop. I ran the cooling station with it and it never really got hot.
Processor popped in the end, it panicked when i told it about gt6.:)

Mine is a fatty and its fan clearly goes into overdrive mode, it gets very, very noisy. When this happens, as a precaution, i just put an old dumb desk fan in front/side of it :D(it is summer here in Brazil :cheers:). Played many, many straight hours yesterday with no problems.

The same thing happened with GTA V, and I played through all of it. Lets hope our fatties can make it through - having to buy a new "last-gen" console at this point in time would be no fun..

Today I put a pair of fans around the PS3 but it didnt solve anything. What is weird is that I was able to lap bathurst, the nurb etc for like 1 hour with no problems, the console overheats when i am in the main menu, in GT Auto and in the dealership
And apparently it was indeed ylod, maybe I didnt noticed last night.
Rip fatty

I own a 2nd rev fatty that died on me during GT5 remoteplay some years ago. Could still play Burnout and FIFA for some hours, but it gradually got worse and soon shut down after a few minutes in the XMB. These consoles are an accident waiting to happen, but it is possible to fix them at home by fluxing the mainboard with non-cleaning flux and "baking" it in a regular electric oven at 210 degrees Celsius for about 10 mins. Let it cool for about 40 mins and reassemble.

Important. Board must be level when in the oven and must not be touched before it's gotten cold.

I followed this guide: http://www.killerbug.net/Nichibotsu/The_complete_guide_to_Reflowing.pdf

Hey guys I have an 80Gb PS3, the fatty ones that can read PS2 games, but I think it is overheating with GT6, I can play GT5 and some other games for more than an hour but with GT6 it shuts down itself in like 15 minutes, I am sure it's not Yellow Light of Dead or a Power Supply unit failure, since I can play other games.
thanks

Mine is a launch 60gb converted to a 500gb and mines shuts down and I have to run the HD recovery everytime it seems. I'm not sure if it's overheating or timing out and shutting down on its own.

Mine is a launch 60gb converted to a 500gb and mines shuts down and I have to run the HD recovery everytime it seems. I'm not sure if it's overheating or timing out and shutting down on its own.
the same things happens to me, does your game frozes on the menus? quickly try entering a race in arcade mode, see if it works, I can do some runs on several tracks but it crashes on the menus

mine overheated on friday about 2h into gameplay, i have 60gb fatty bought over 6 years ago this is the 1st it shut down on me, i clean about 2 times a year from dust
so now i replaced the paste and it was fine for about 15min of gameplay now my bluray died it wont read any discs, i'm going to get a used bluray and hope it will make it for a month or two than probably just get a used superslim

I think it might not be problem with heating or disc. I'm running a digital downloaded version on my 80gb fat ps3, only like a few mins and it just shutdown with red light flashing.... I seriously think it's due to the game itself....

I think it might not be problem with heating or disc. I'm running a digital downloaded version on my 80gb fat ps3, only like a few mins and it just shutdown with red light flashing.... I seriously think it's due to the game itself....
damn sorry to hear that
at this point i feel it's safe to say that the old fatty ones are not compatible with GT6 (I just played GT5 for like 2 hours with no overheating issues), I hope they fix this

damn sorry to hear that
at this point i feel it's safe to say that the old fatty ones are not compatible with GT6 (I just played GT5 for like 2 hours with no overheating issues), I hope they fix this
not the fatty ones incompatible, it got semi-ylod! I think the problem is GT6 is much more demanding game than GT5!

Once many people with a fatty and an SSD say GT6 will not work on their system, then I'll believe that the issue is not overheating. Until then I'll assume overheating: either because of dust on the inside, heat from 7200 rpm hdds (PS3s were built around 5400 rpm hdd heat levels), and or old thermal paste. Shutting itself off with a red flashing light often means overheating. GT6 is pushing the limits of a healthy system (the developers have sad that they are trying to squeeze everything they can out of the technology); older systems are often going to be in less than perfect health. Those who have the digital download will be making the hdd work even more than those with the disc so it might create even more heat.

thanks
Greetings,
I also have one of the ps3's that is backwards compatible, btw, you can tell because it has an "E" in the series number.
Anyway, I am also having a heating problem, so I have a small fan to help.
Good luck
Kona

i have a 80gb fat and i'm experiencing the same problem, mmm i don't know if it's overheating problem, i know gt6 push the ps3 to its limits but even in the menu screen happens, also a have a couple of friends with a ps3 retro and the game runs fine, i'm a casual gamer so it's not like i use my ps3 too much.

I've found this posts were users are having same problem:
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/GT6-crashing-system/m-p/42385223
http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/Gra...s-Bugs-and-Glitches-quot-thread/td-p/42381325

I hope PD/Sony can fix this

PD: Finished Uncharted 3 and Last of Us with no overheating problem

I was little when I got my Fat 80GB model, so I didn't take the best care of it. It finally died in 2009 when my little brother pulled on the wires, which in turn puled the system down to the floor. It currently has YLOD :(

For people that have a slim, you might want to blow out the dust every once in a while. Here's how:

1. Unplug the power cord from the back of the console.
2. Plug it back in and hold down eject at the same time. It will start to sound like a hair-dryer.
3. Unplug it again, then plug it back in.
4. Then just turn it on,

I'm actually not trolling. It does work.

thanks

I have the same model with same problems. I have to tear down the unit and clean up the dust and refill the thermal compound between the chips and the heatsink. But still have shut down just run around 5 mins.
I have to replaced the new HDD still have same problem.
So I don't think that not the heat problem.

Last edited:
I have a slim, not the super slim, and its been overheating since FFXIV launch without any incident. It did it once or twice with GT6. I wouldn't be too worried if i were you but keep in mind these console are not eternal.

btw, i had a fatty one and sold it back to EB Games 2 months ago. I could have use it as a hairblower, maybe leafblower for the few times i used it for gt5, it was loud.

I'm using a 320GB Slim and it ends up heating my room in winter to about 25 degrees. lol I've not cleaned it in the 3-4 years I've had it and the only time it crashes is when I'm listening to music, have the web browser open, and try to send a message. It's been fine with every game I've had (used up 200GB) and it's never overheated. The fan's gone into overdrive but nothing ever happens.

Back